Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Would you sign Christian Walton

Would you sign Christian Walton ?   

137 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Christian Walton?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No

I don’t hate him but he will be overpriced coming from a prem team/ English/ high wages, I think the goalkeeping position is one we should be scouting for the in the cheaper European market. Going through the English leagues and I don’t see much to think they would be worth splashing out on , open to suggestions and I will do some research on them 

28 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Straight to the point Simon ?

If we did sign him after seeing  from his loan period that he isn't particularly good (like Gallagher) then I think it'd end up exactly the same way. We'd end up vastly overpaying and end up with an expensive flop we'd struggle to give away.

Which probably means Mowbray and Waggott will do it. Less work than looking for a better alternative.

49 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If we did sign him after seeing  from his loan period that he isn't particularly good (like Gallagher) then I think it'd end up exactly the same way. We'd end up vastly overpaying and end up with an expensive flop we'd struggle to give away.

Which probably means Mowbray and Waggott will do it. Less work than looking for a better alternative.

I wouldnt like to see him played out of position!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Course we shouldn't.

Never heard anything as ridiculous and not even sure why it's up for debate.

Because some of us aren't blinded by a petty little anti Mowbray agenda refusing to see any good in ANYTHING he does.

Meanwhile captain flappy keeps flapping down in Brentford..   

• Like 2

Depends on fee wages etc ... I don't actually think he's a bad keeper , is he an improvement on Raya ..No .. Does he 100% fill me with confidence at corners and set pieces ..No  do I think there is better out there we could get ..yes , but I think he's a good shot stopper he's good with his feet and Imo I feel he's improved a lot since the start of the season some saves he has made recently have been outstanding 

• Like 2

He’s improved I’ll give him that , and the comments by tombola about him are completely  agreeable and sensible  .  I’m not sure he has the raw talent that raya has the potential to turn into something special under good coaching , perhaps Walton has learned from his mistakes . The bigger picture is that he stands a better chance if we got a proper coach for him 

The debate isn't about if Walton is better than Raya but whether he is good enough to sign. 

I'm not convinced about the former argument but regardless of that the latter seems pretty clear. He's not good enough for no 1 at Rovers. 

For those who dislike Raya - if I had argued he was better than Steele (hardly a challenge mind) quite rightly people would say that's not the barometer of success. Or Smallwood being better than Lowe doesn't mean he warrants a place in our current midfield. Independent of Raya, regardless of our views on Raya, is Walton a good keeper - I'd say not. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure how you calculate a goalies stats like that with any degree of accuracy or not . There are so many factors not to mention being part of a particular defensive unit . 
mine of the two , the inferior one has a very good chance of being a premier league keeper and if he steps up we will know , the other is with a premier league club but doesn’t get a look in 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blue blood said:

The debate isn't about if Walton is better than Raya but whether he is good enough to sign. 

I'm not convinced about the former argument but regardless of that the latter seems pretty clear. He's not good enough for no 1 at Rovers. 

For those who dislike Raya - if I had argued he was better than Steele (hardly a challenge mind) quite rightly people would say that's not the barometer of success. Or Smallwood being better than Lowe doesn't mean he warrants a place in our current midfield. Independent of Raya, regardless of our views on Raya, is Walton a good keeper - I'd say not. 

Yes true , as chaddy whitehouse would say 

why are we going on about raya ? He’s long gone .... all the people who think he is rubbish have no place for sentiment anyway .....

Edited by Inglorious basturk

9 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I don’t hate him but he will be overpriced coming from a prem team/ English/ high wages, I think the goalkeeping position is one we should be scouting for the in the cheaper European market. Going through the English leagues and I don’t see much to think they would be worth splashing out on , open to suggestions and I will do some research on them 

The question was about would you sign him. Not at what price would you sign him. 

2 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Walton has made a few errors but we’ve also kept a lot of clean sheets with him this year. His distribution is good and has to have some credit for our better defensive record surely. I think at this level he’s a good enough keeper to get promoted.

I don’t think Brighton will sell him though and if he does he will probably go to a club further up the league than us. There’s a lack of keepers out there now that every manager wants one who can use his feet too. 

Raya has conceded fewer and kept more clean sheets though, so whereas at the start of the season it looked like Walton was an upgrade it’s swung the other way. Raya looks assured and every bit the goalkeeper we thought he could be, although he has dropped a couple of clangers himself. Part and parcel of a young goalie though! My point being that whilst I don’t think Walton is necessarily better than Raya I don’t think there’s a lot in it and if Walton wants to come, the finances are right then I wouldn’t be averse to him signing. I would prefer a more experienced keeper though. 

Walton as a goalkeeper: 6/10
Raya as a goalkeeper: 7/10

Mistakes this season by Walton: 3 or 4
Mistakes last season by Raya: 9 or 10

No brainer for me. For the right price, the right wages, at least we know what we're getting, he knows the squad and there's no worries of spending big on a keeper that comes and is abysmal. 10 clean sheets this season, some great saves, one or two errors but nothing drastic.

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

No brainer for me. For the right price, the right wages, at least we know what we're getting, he knows the squad and there's no worries of spending big on a keeper that comes and is abysmal. 10 clean sheets this season, some great saves, one or two errors but nothing drastic.

It is far more than 3 or 4! Without going through each game there have been more clangers then that. 

Plus there's the ones he should have saved which weren't howlers but disappointing keeping. There has been a fair number of those. 

Just now, Blue blood said:

It is far more than 3 or 4! Without going through each game there have been more clangers then that. 

Plus there's the ones he should have saved which weren't howlers but disappointing keeping. There has been a fair number of those. 

It's not... one vs Forest, one vs Huddersfield, one vs Barnsley.. maybe one or two more. Not much more than that.

Raya was at least double, if not more. Every bloody week and he's still doing it at Brentford.

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It isnt "one or two errors" or even "3 or 4."

West Brom away first goal, although Cunningham more to blame for lack of communication, so perhaps let him off there.

Huddersfield at home - lets poor shot trickle in from distance

Preston away - horrendous misjudgement leads to start of comeback with first goal.

Sheffield Wednesday at home - misjudges another cross that leads to a tap in

Barnsley at home - spills leading to a tap in

Stoke away - really poor, weak indecisive goalkeeping from a corner leads to a very unavoidable goal

Forest away - allows a weak cross to sail in for the first

Forest away - misjudgement leads to a penalty and goal

Boro away - Spills cross/shot right into the path of their player to score

Fulham home - allows Mitrovic to score with weak shot central in the goal

The thing is that his errors in line with his style in general may be just as costly as an error from Raya but they are often far less headline grabbing. When Raya (or quite a few keepers) makes a mistake it is usually a blatant one.

Walton has the wobbles occasionally but so does Raya and when he clangs it's often a whopper that there is absolutely no explanation for.

You'll struggle to find a better reflex shot stopper in the div though than the Spaniard so maybe it out trumps the bloops over a season. He seems to be getting away with it at Brentford a bit more because they are an all round better side so it's not costing points. I think that might be the difference between the two at the min.

Personally i'd always plump for steady over spectacular.

Edited by tomphil

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Because some of us aren't blinded by a petty little anti Mowbray agenda refusing to see any good in ANYTHING he does.

Meanwhile captain flappy keeps flapping down in Brentford..   

If them same people refuse to acknowledge that Dack, Armstrong, Adarabioyo and Downing are good signings then you have a point but I doubt it.

• Like 1

I think some made their minds up on Walton after a few of his early season blunders and are now too steadfast and stubborn to change their views in light of new evidence. It's certainly a common theme with supporters. 

Walton has been an improvement on Raya. I know that I for one am much less nervous of us conceding late goals with Walton there. Last season I was a nervous wreck every game looking at Raya. The guy was a bag of nerves at times. Every single cross to the box then had the potential to lead to a scramble as Raya simply isn't good enough from crosses. Raya is a better shot stopper, but Walton has made a few top class stops too. 

Walton is out of our price range. Will probably be starting for Brighton the season after next. I would take him back on loan. Get a keeper in on a permanent too as proper competition. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I don’t hate him but he will be overpriced coming from a prem team/ English/ high wages

Agreed. If Raya was worth £3m, how much will Walton cost with the English/PL premium?

Let the scouting department earn their corn and find us a solid, unspectacular goalie. 

• Like 1