Would you sign Christian Walton ?   

137 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Christian Walton?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Huddersfield at home - lets poor shot trickle in from distance

Preston away - horrendous misjudgement leads to start of comeback with first goal.

Barnsley at home - spills leading to a tap in

Forest away - allows a weak cross to sail in for the first

I've taken the liberty of removing all of the "examples" which were very poor examples. Fulham one is FAR from a goalkeeping error. West Brom was Cunningham's fault entirely. Forest penalty one was a dive anyway but again the fault of the defence, not the goalkeeper who was left alone one on one. Boro one was a great save, and again the defence had three men to mark and all three were left wide open for the rebound...

I agree with these four left over 100% though. It's nothing like as bad as David Raya. Nothing like. There's a difference between a goalkeeping error, like Raya letting the ball through his legs for Brentford vs Hull the other week, and conceding a goal that you think may have been a tame effort.

3 minutes ago, ChickenBolty said:

If promotion is a genuine ambition this season or next the answer has to be "No". 

For me, he is by far the worst keeper we have had since being relegated from the Premier League....and I've watched Jason Steele.

You have poor judgment so. Steele was truly abysmal in every facet of being a goalkeeper. 

• Like 4

Just now, ChickenBolty said:

In my honest opinion, in a Blackburn Rovers shirt Walton has been worse. 

I think that even most of us that do not particularly rate Walton would say that your opinion is way off there - Steele was an embarrassment and he continued to embarrass when we somehow mugged Sunderland off for him. 

• Like 1

At the moment Walton is probably no better than an average Championship keeper. Regularly makes decent saves and has some sort of a presence. Seems to have a slightly higher than usual mistake rate in him and his decision making can be slow and costly at times.

For that reason I'd be looking to sign better. As others have said, I'm sure we could do better for the same or a smaller price tag, with a keeper from the European leagues. Maybe even an older keeper knocking about over here.

At 24 he's young for a keeper but we can't realistically afford the luxury of waiting (and hoping) for him to develop and cut out the negative side to his game through experience. That for me was the whole point of the Raya sale which made the Walton loan signing baffling.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I've taken the liberty of removing all of the "examples" which were very poor examples. Fulham one is FAR from a goalkeeping error. West Brom was Cunningham's fault entirely. Forest penalty one was a dive anyway but again the fault of the defence, not the goalkeeper who was left alone one on one. Boro one was a great save, and again the defence had three men to mark and all three were left wide open for the rebound...

I agree with these four left over 100% though. It's nothing like as bad as David Raya. Nothing like. There's a difference between a goalkeeping error, like Raya letting the ball through his legs for Brentford vs Hull the other week, and conceding a goal that you think may have been a tame effort.

Boro at home was also a goal he could have done better with. 

You have removed 'examples' which you say are not his fault, but they are all examples which a better keeper would have saved.

Every week within the top top flights there are around 250 to 300 defenders who feature in games. There are only 46 goalkeepers who feature. I can't believe that a better goalkeeper than Walton is not available to us within our budget, and TM's comments at the supporters consultation meeting also seemed to suggest he feels the same'.

I wouldn't sign him as I believeI we should be capable of signing somebody better. However he has improved a lot throughout the season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Like I said, I appreciate that some goalkeepers such as Raya tend to make more dramatic mistakes or more eye catching ones but some of the ones that Walton has made are ones that a good Championship goalkeeepr would not expect to concede. He isnt an eye catching keeper and I do appreciate that it does feel calmer when he is in the net but we have conceded quite a few goals that I have been disappointed in him for conceding, just not ones like Raya at Hull or Casilla at Brentford bad.

What about the one at Stoke, that has to be an error? Or the one v Sheffield Wednesday when he misjudged the cross, was beaten to it at the near post and they tapped it in at the far post? The penalty v Forest was a misjudgement because he didnt need to run out like he did, even Mowbray describe it as "our goalkeeper making a poor decision for the second goal." Ones like the Mitrovic one are not blatant and obvious errors but they are shots that good Championship goalkeepers would surely expect to save, likewise dealing with the one at Boro better rather than tapping it into the path of Coulson.

I am not saying that he is the weakest point in our team, or a terrible goalkeeper, or using hyperbole like he is worse than Steele, but he has been responsible for quite a few goals, some blatant errors like the one at Preston, some less eye catching but ones a keeper worth his salt would be dealing with.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Don Said said:

At the moment Walton is probably no better than an average Championship keeper. Regularly makes decent saves and has some sort of a presence. Seems to have a slightly higher than usual mistake rate in him and his decision making can be slow and costly at times.

For that reason I'd be looking to sign better. As others have said, I'm sure we could do better for the same or a smaller price tag, with a keeper from the European leagues. Maybe even an older keeper knocking about over here.

At 24 he's young for a keeper but we can't realistically afford the luxury of waiting (and hoping) for him to develop and cut out the negative side to his game through experience. That for me was the whole point of the Raya sale which made the Walton loan signing baffling.

Probably because they see the keepers position as one they can get someone in relatively cheap and grow to sell. A decent experienced keeper might be able to be got on a free, might provide the cornerstone of the team and serve us well for a few years.

BUT he's likely to be older, on big wages and not have resale profit potential  so it's a no go. Things aren't done for football reasons first and foremost at this club that's why we flounder and are so erratic in the transfer market.

All keepers in the championship are prone to mistakes. Look at the Leeds keeper who is now being dropped, the Brentford keeper that Raya replaced, the Hull keeper that gifted us a goal. They really are not all that at this level. Either young and up and coming or not good enough for the top level.

This is why I like the idea of going down the foreign route. Walton will cost a lot despite being 4th choice at Brighton. He is English, probably on a decent wedge already. Could we not find someone else, at least on his level somewhere else for cheaper?

12 hours ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Yes true , as chaddy whitehouse would say 

why are we going on about raya ? He’s long gone .... all the people who think he is rubbish have no place for sentiment anyway .....

Chaddy Whitehouse!!! Love it!

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Like I said, I appreciate that some goalkeepers such as Raya tend to make more dramatic mistakes or more eye catching ones but some of the ones that Walton has made are ones that a good Championship goalkeeepr would not expect to concede. He isnt an eye catching keeper and I do appreciate that it does feel calmer when he is in the net but we have conceded quite a few goals that I have been disappointed in him for conceding, just not ones like Raya at Hull or Casilla at Brentford bad.

What about the one at Stoke, that has to be an error? Or the one v Sheffield Wednesday when he misjudged the cross, was beaten to it at the near post and they tapped it in at the far post? The penalty v Forest was a misjudgement because he didnt need to run out like he did, even Mowbray describe it as "our goalkeeper making a poor decision for the second goal." Ones like the Mitrovic one are not blatant and obvious errors but they are shots that good Championship goalkeepers would surely expect to save, likewise dealing with the one at Boro better rather than tapping it into the path of Coulson.

I am not saying that he is the weakest point in our team, or a terrible goalkeeper, or using hyperbole like he is worse than Steele, but he has been responsible for quite a few goals, some blatant errors like the one at Preston, some less eye catching but ones a keeper worth his salt would be dealing with.

So Walton should be saved Mitrovic shot? 

The way you talk you think he was useless..

10 clean sheets so far. 2nd highest in league..

Raya and Casilla both made mistakes this Week

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So Walton should be saved Mitrovic shot? 

The way you talk you think he was useless..

10 clean sheets so far. 2nd highest in league..

Raya and Casilla both made mistakes this Week

Yes I think he should be dissapointed that he didnt, the ball went in the middle of the goal. No I have listed goals which I think he was directly responsible for, but also said that I dont think hes amongst the very worst of a fairly sorry overall standard of goalkeepers in this league, nor do I think he is particularly good or worth signing.

Hes conceded the 10th or 11th least goals in the League which is average/ok but of course also dependant on the defence in front of him. 

And?

Edited by roversfan99

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So Walton should be saved Mitrovic shot? Yes that is what he is saying. 

The way you talk you think he was useless..Not at all, it was a rather balanced view put across, albeit one with a negative conclusion. However it is much easier to ignore what he says if you just stereotype his answer. He never said he was useless, but did highlight mistakes, there is a huge difference. It's a bit naughty to try interchanging them, especially as it seems to be done deliberately to undermine 99's views. 

10 clean sheets so far. 2nd highest in league..So unlike the Madison situation in this case stats count! Also how many clean sheets has Raya or the Leeds keeper had. Part of it does suggest he's not a total duffer, but equally if Raya etc. are keeping clean sheets in part because of the better defence, part of the credit too has to go to our defence for offering him better protection. Also how about goals conceded, not just clean sheets. (As an aside I'd have been interested to see how Raya did with our current defence.)

Raya and Casilla both made mistakes this Week Indeed. No one is fallible. However one mistake doesn't prove anything - appreciate it's more than one for Raya but you get my point. It's a bit of a straw man argument saying so and so also made a mistake so our player must be ok. All the best keepers make mistakes (not saying the 2 you highlighted are the best keepers) so highlighting the occasional one doesn't make Walton look much better. 

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Yes I think he should be dissapointed that he didnt, the ball went in the middle of the goal. No I have listed goals which I think he was directly responsible for, but also said that I dont think hes amongst the very worst of a fairly sorry overall standard of goalkeepers in this league, nor do I think he is particularly good or worth signing.

Hes conceded the 10th or 11th least goals in the League which is average/ok but of course also dependant on the defence in front of him. 

And?

We have the 10th best defence in the league. 

I think he has made some mistakes along as I said previously but overall he been good for us. He's improving. 

Well both keepers are part of teams in top 4 but both have massive mistakes during the season. That's my point

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

We have the 10th best defence in the league. 

I think he has made some mistakes along as I said previously but overall he been good for us. He's improving. 

Well both keepers are part of teams in top 4 but both have massive mistakes during the season. That's my point

Again Chaddy - good? Really?

Downing has been good for us this year. Armstrong has been good for us this year. Walton has been nowhere near that level so would love to hear what evidence there has been of him being good. 

He's not even been that steady dependable type of a player either as he's had a few cracking games but a number of poor ones to. No idea how you can justify him as a good signing so far. Where's the evidence for that? 

Just now, Blue blood said:

Again Chaddy - good? Really?

Downing has been good for us this year. Armstrong has been good for us this year. Walton has been nowhere near that level so would love to hear what evidence there has been of him being good. 

He's not even been that steady dependable type of a player either as he's had a few cracking games but a number of poor ones to. No idea how you can justify him as a good signing so far. Where's the evidence for that? 

Yes. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

10 clean sheets. Command of his area, catching of the ball. 

Yes he made some mistakes as I said but blaming him for Mitrovic's goal is just stupid

None of that suggests he has been good for us - at best this is a case he has been decent for us. It's pretty flimsy 10 clean sheets and command of the area, especially when we have conceeded an average number of goals and a couple of clangers have come from balls into the box. 

My criteria for a good keeper would be as follows: 

Clangers - one or nil. Not the case with Walton there's at least 4 his biggest fans agree on and I think I'd go with a justifiable half dozen. Good keepers don't make that many mistakes. 

Shot stopping - a good keeper gets all the ones he should do (l- as in you don't think keeper could have better there. Not a clanger but a could do better, if that makes sense? a great keeper also saves ones that really should be a goal.

Probably been a few where I felt he could have done better and there's been very few where I think he has got things he shouldn't have done (Gestede header Vs Boro and the Wigan game spring to mind.) Contrast that with the great keepers we've had over the years and very often you can point to a number of games where they have kept us in it. 

Command of Area - a few clangers aside (which suggest he isn't amazing) this is one of his better features. Not comparing with Raya who was weak at it, but against good keepers I'm not sure he's massively better at it. That said it is an asset most of the time and so grant this is one area where he looks a good keeper. 

Distribution - good keepers do this well, although I always think of this as an added bonus. Not sure he is great at this as releases things slowly so not an asset for the case of him being a good keeper. 

Consistency - good keepers consistently perform at about 7-7.5 per game, great ones 8+ consistently. This is a feature I rate really highly, the reliability of a keeper. That's not been the case with Walton - he's really ranged from poor to average to excellent. Even the Boro game as a recent example he did excellently with Gestede's header but could have done better for the goal. The guy is too erratic performance wise and sometimes even within matches. For me a good keeper is more consistent - you know what you are getting. 

Clean sheets and goals conceeded. Not the full picture but can indicate whether a keeper is any good. The number of clean sheets is impressive but less so the number of goals we have conceeded. Certainly the latter strongly suggests he is average at best. The former does suggest he is certainly not in the Steele type category. So one stat for, one stat against. That said Filan won player of the season and was brilliant behind a terrible defence. I remember Southall playing for Wales Vs Dutch and the Welsh lost 7-0 and without a doubt Southall kept them in it. Pickford was actually good when at Sunderland. On reflection it's not what I'd base a keeper's ability on. 

Ok that is subjective but shows a bit of evidence as to why I don't think he is a good signing.