Would you sign Christian Walton

Would you sign Christian Walton ?   

137 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Christian Walton?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The standard of keeping in the Championship is really poor. You look at even the top 6, the goalkeepers are Johnstone, Casilla, Rodak, Raya, Samba and Rudd. Only Samba is any good there really.

Not a chance that Brighton have Walton as number 1 next year.

Only Casilla is in prime as a keeper where the rest aren't in their prime and learning their game. 

Most number 1's in this league are under 30 years old so you wouldn't expect the best keeper. 

6 hours ago, Blue blood said:

To answer your question: 

1) never mentioned in their prime - this is something you have added in. 

2) firstly against other good signings for Rovers in a variety of positions since you said he has been a good signing. So I'm talking about Downing and Arma this year, Smallwood in league 1, that level of impact that "good" signings make. 

3) what I would consider a decent standard as to not regularly be doing disappointing things whether howlers or should do better. 

my point wasn't the vast majority of number 1's at this level aren't in the prime. Sorry for not be clear before. My Apologises

I compare the number of clean sheets this season to last season(which the entire back 4 deserved credit also), Has he got better since 1st game? IMO yes., Compare to other keepers

6 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Yea samba is the best keeper in the champ , we should be looking for similar to this quality 

I think you are correct there. Samba has been impressive this season. I think Johnstone has been good. Think Woodman has been good at Swansea. Similar level to Walton. 

Get a foreign lad in. Even if we wanted to sign Walton, he would cost more than he is probably worth seeing as he is on PL whack (though not huge amounts). And what do we get? Bang average if you ask me - decent but that's about it. Our long spoken about Euro scouting should be up and running after about 33 years - so I would hope that a GK would be on the agenda.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Get a foreign lad in. Even if we wanted to sign Walton, he would cost more than he is probably worth seeing as he is on PL whack (though not huge amounts). And what do we get? Bang average if you ask me - decent but that's about it. Our long spoken about Euro scouting should be up and running after about 33 years - so I would hope that a GK would be on the agenda.

Can you imagine the bedding in period these fabled foreign signings are going to get, never mind the fact they have to relocate ?

I wouldn't hang your hat on a decent oversees keeper being between our sticks next August.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why would Walton come here as number 2 after spending a season as number 1 here. and he would miles more than a million pounds. Brighton rated him very highly

My opinion only, Brighton obviously rate him higher than I do.

3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

After today move me into the sold category.

First two buys of the summer should be Walton and Tosin imo.

No chance on Tosin, he is an imminent upgrade on both Otamendi and Stones imo. But I think Walton is a realistic target.

Edited by danger19_80

Personally I don’t think Tosin is remotely ready defensively for the top end of the Prem. He loses his man too easily, did it again today with the free header Walton saved in the first half, Tosin didn’t even know his man had pulled off him.

Walton was terrific today and one clean sheet every three games is pretty good by any standard.

Tosin is somebody I could see going on loan to say a Southampton next season, and being bought by them for like £20m a year later, only for City to pay double that a couple of years after that to sign him back if he impresses.

No chance is Walton is playing in the top flight next season, so fee depending that could be doable.

• Like 3

• Backroom

Tosin has all the technical attributes to be a top player, but his decision making isn't quite there yet which is basically why he's on loan with us. He can play some beautiful passes from the back, but alternatively he can play terrible passes which put us in danger. His tackling is sometimes spot on, other times not. Same with heading and marking. He's a work-in-progress, but if he can improve his decision making and focus he will be a top player. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Let’s not gloss over how tony days Walton fell in his lap . While the young goalie may improve we still have a manager who freely admits he is clueless and that is the bigger concern 

What are you even talking about man? This topic is about signing Walton, not the manager. Besides, he's never 'admitted he's clueless' anyway so that's a blatant lie. Give it a rest.

• Like 5

It's no exaggeration to say his save at the end was world class. Raya who is applauded for his shot stopping wouldn't have had the reach. 

I would say Waltons main weakness now is shots which are close to him. Especially low down. See mitrovic's goal.

Personally I'm swaying very much into the yea camp in terms of signing him. Even his biggest critics can clearly see he is showing real signs of improvement. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

It's no exaggeration to say his save at the end was world class. Raya who is applauded for his shot stopping wouldn't have had the reach. 

I would say Waltons main weakness now is shots which are close to him. Especially low down. See mitrovic's goal.

Personally I'm swaying very much into the yea camp in terms of signing him. Even his biggest critics can clearly see he is showing real signs of improvement. 

It is, actually, a bit of an exaggeration. It was a very fine stop though. I would agree Raya may not have had the reach, but there are plenty of goals we have shipped which would be bread and butter to David. Particularly those nearby ones you mentioned Walton being vulnerable on.

That said, I'm starting to warm to this lad. A few more games like recent ones, without the flapping we have seen previously and I may even start to think we should sign him at the right price. I wouldn't want to see us spend 3 or 4 million upwards though, at all.

• Like 1