Would you sign Christian Walton

Would you sign Christian Walton ?   

137 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Christian Walton?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No

• 5 months later...

Very interesting to see some of the posts on here from just before lockdown. Noticed the thread so had a quick look and it was a mixture of answers, but plenty of praise for him:

On 12/02/2020 at 22:21, JoeH said:

Yes. Been great for us. One or two mistakes early on, but nowhere near as many as Raya made in Rovers colours. Reliable at set-pieces and seems to fit in well. I quite like him. For the right price and the right wages I think it's a good deal all round. Only going to improve at a relatively young age for a goalkeeper too.

On 13/02/2020 at 11:58, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think some made their minds up on Walton after a few of his early season blunders and are now too steadfast and stubborn to change their views in light of new evidence. It's certainly a common theme with supporters. 

Walton has been an improvement on Raya. I know that I for one am much less nervous of us conceding late goals with Walton there. Last season I was a nervous wreck every game looking at Raya. The guy was a bag of nerves at times. Every single cross to the box then had the potential to lead to a scramble as Raya simply isn't good enough from crosses. Raya is a better shot stopper, but Walton has made a few top class stops too. 

Walton is out of our price range. Will probably be starting for Brighton the season after next. I would take him back on loan. Get a keeper in on a permanent too as proper competition. 

On 15/02/2020 at 21:57, chaddyrovers said:

11 clean sheets and for Walton just gets better game by game. He is playing full of confidence. 

On 17/02/2020 at 01:30, Prelude said:

Screenshot_20200217-000931_Twitter.jpg

On 18/02/2020 at 20:01, chaddyrovers said:

He's will be playing top division football in Premier League or Bundesliga next season. 

Was he overrated at this point? Or harshly judged for his string of blunders post lockdown? Seems to have gone from a mix of views, genuine debate as to whether he was an improvement on Raya, some wanting to see him as number 1, quite a few as number 2, and some not at all. To universal criticism.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Very interesting to see some of the posts on here from just before lockdown. Noticed the thread so had a quick look and it was a mixture of answers, but plenty of praise for him:

Was he overrated at this point? Or harshly judged for his string of blunders post lockdown? Seems to have gone from a mix of views, genuine debate as to whether he was an improvement on Raya, some wanting to see him as number 1, quite a few as number 2, and some not at all. To universal criticism.

Bit of both. The number of clean sheets we had as a team prior to lockdown was better than decent, for which he has to take some credit. To be fair to him, he has made some good saves this season and his willingness to come for crosses (bar Preston away) has helped.

He just makes too many errors and tends to go in spells of either decent or below par form. Doesn't make him a dreadful keeper but it means that we have to look for better if we want to get in the top 6 next year. I might get shouted down for this, but I actually think he could be a great long-term signing for a Championship team a bit lower down. Trouble for teams with more ambition is that you need loans to be of the right standard straight away.

3 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Bit of both. The number of clean sheets we had as a team prior to lockdown was better than decent, for which he has to take some credit. To be fair to him, he has made some good saves this season and his willingness to come for crosses (bar Preston away) has helped.

He just makes too many errors and tends to go in spells of either decent or below par form. Doesn't make him a dreadful keeper but it means that we have to look for better if we want to get in the top 6 next year. I might get shouted down for this, but I actually think he could be a great long-term signing for a Championship team a bit lower down. Trouble for teams with more ambition is that you need loans to be of the right standard straight away.

I always felt that, on the back of Raya especially, his fairly conservative nature was to his benefit in terms of how people viewed him. When Raya made a mistake, it tended to be an obvious one. So many times, im thinking Huddersfield at home, Fulham at home, Readings second goal, he let shots in that werent blatant errors but should really have been saved but for a mixture of poor positioning and weak handling. Whilst not being as blatant as the ones at home to Bristol City or Leeds. His distribution wasnt as eye catchingly bad as weve seen in the past in terms of clearing things into touch, but he never set up counter attacks and often dallied, and his long kicks rarely went off the pitch but they often went towards the smallest man on the pitch with little accuracy or power.

You mention his ability to come for crosses but I saw things that backed up Wigan fans saying when we signed him that he has difficulty commanding his box. Off the top of my head, there was the Preston one obviously. There was a corner at Stoke that ended up as a goal due to his flimsy goalkeeping. There was the one at Wigan when he dropped it. There was one at home to Sheffield Wednesday when he misjudged a low cross, he also spilt a low cross/shot away at Boro that led to a goal.

Whilst it is immaterial to us which goes back to the folly of selling a keeper and loaning one the same age. It might also be impacted by questionable coaching which always warrants discussion. But I dont think that Brighton are getting back a better player.

I suspect that his career is at a cross roads. Certainly nowhere near a Premier League team as he thinks. Due to his loan spells he may get another Championship loan further down and do that until his contract expires as I cant see anyone paying a fee for him.

• Like 1

I had my doubts at the start, then he had a good run of form leading up to lockdown. After lockdown the wheels feel off and seemed to lose more and more confidence with each game. I think there is a decent keeper there but not ready for regular 1st team football at championship football. He has no chance of becoming 1st chocie at Brighton next year.

• Like 1

He’s never going to oust Matt Ryan from between the posts at Brighton and if Ryan ever ends up getting a move to a bigger club (which I can see happening as he’s one of the best in the top division in my opinion) then I would expect them to spend big on a replacement. Walton is destined for a career below the Premier league...would I sign him? Right now I’d take anyone!!! His performances after the restart were concerning but that doesn’t mean he can’t find the form of earlier in the season. Ideally, yes, I’d like someone better but we haven’t got the scouting network or money to achieve that at the moment. If Brighton offer another season long loan I’d probably take it but I don’t think it will happen. 

5 minutes ago, Prelude said:

I had my doubts at the start, then he had a good run of form leading up to lockdown. After lockdown the wheels feel off and seemed to lose more and more confidence with each game. I think there is a decent keeper there but not ready for regular 1st team football at championship football. He has no chance of becoming 1st chocie at Brighton next year.

I am unsure if he would be of the mindset that he isnt ready for 1st team football considering that he has just had 2 full seasons there after winning League 1.

He thinks he is now ready to push for a Premier League place!

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I am unsure if he would be of the mindset that he isnt ready for 1st team football considering that he has just had 2 full seasons there after winning League 1.

He thinks he is now ready to push for a Premier League place!

He's wrong.

• Like 4

• Backroom

I was on 'Maybe' before lockdown, but only based on Walton coming in as a no2 to a better goalie (which was an unlikely scenario in the first place).

Changed to 'No' as post-lockdown he's been so bad I wouldn't even trust him as backup.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I always felt that, on the back of Raya especially, his fairly conservative nature was to his benefit in terms of how people viewed him. When Raya made a mistake, it tended to be an obvious one. So many times, im thinking Huddersfield at home, Fulham at home, Readings second goal, he let shots in that werent blatant errors but should really have been saved but for a mixture of poor positioning and weak handling. Whilst not being as blatant as the ones at home to Bristol City or Leeds. His distribution wasnt as eye catchingly bad as weve seen in the past in terms of clearing things into touch, but he never set up counter attacks and often dallied, and his long kicks rarely went off the pitch but they often went towards the smallest man on the pitch with little accuracy or power.

You mention his ability to come for crosses but I saw things that backed up Wigan fans saying when we signed him that he has difficulty commanding his box. Off the top of my head, there was the Preston one obviously. There was a corner at Stoke that ended up as a goal due to his flimsy goalkeeping. There was the one at Wigan when he dropped it. There was one at home to Sheffield Wednesday when he misjudged a low cross, he also spilt a low cross/shot away at Boro that led to a goal.

Whilst it is immaterial to us which goes back to the folly of selling a keeper and loaning one the same age. It might also be impacted by questionable coaching which always warrants discussion. But I dont think that Brighton are getting back a better player.

I suspect that his career is at a cross roads. Certainly nowhere near a Premier League team as he thinks. Due to his loan spells he may get another Championship loan further down and do that until his contract expires as I cant see anyone paying a fee for him.

I think that's a good point, and his performance against Hull early doors (not just his penalty save) would've created a good first impression post-Raya too. Equally, the less obvious mistakes can start working the other way where after a few mistakes, fans start second guessing goals which other keepers would get a free pass for. I remember watching the replay of Vaulks' goal at Cardiff 4 or 5 times thinking the only way he could've scored was Walton making a mistake with his positioning. 

Anyway, I completely agree that he wasn't of the right standard overall & miles away from a number 1 shirt in the Prem. All I'd say is that there were certain aspects of his play which helped us get a more solid defence, at least for a while before his poor form after the restart. If say, Barnsley, signed on him a 3 year contract for a small fee, I'd see that as about his level and would be a decent signing for both parties.

• Like 1

Unbelievable that 34.11% were in favour of signing him at any point.

Completely talentless. You have to query the quality of our scouting when the best they can come up with is Walton. Seems pretty obvious we never watched him play and simply picked him from a list of players provided by agents and wrongly assumed that because he was on the books at Brighton he must have been ok.

• Like 1