137 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Christian Walton?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No

• Moderation Lead
42 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I didn't Agree with you. 

How you meant to get experience unless you give him a chance. 

How could someone that has three players in his position ahead of him at the club not be behind them in the pecking order? If Walton was ahead of fourth choice, he’d still be at the club, either on the bench, or in the team.

I agree with that, but that wasn’t something I ever denied. In any event, I’m just speculating on what I think Brighton will do, like you did.

He probably is thought more highly of than Steele (‘kin ell he should be), but obviously Steele is an English squad filler for quota purposes and just needs to turn up at the training ground every day, whilst they want Walton playing.

But it’s a bit of a stretch to say he’s suddenly going to be first choice in an elite league after three steady, if not exactly spectacular seasons on loan with us and Wigan in the Championship and League 1.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

How could someone that has three players in his position ahead of him at the club not be behind them in the pecking order? If Walton was ahead of fourth choice, he’d still be at the club, either on the bench, or in the team.

I agree with that, but that wasn’t something I ever denied. In any event, I’m just speculating on what I think Brighton will do, like you did.

But this season he’s Rovers’ number 1. To describe him as Brighton’s no 4 is a bit harsh because he’s our player for the season. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Clearly he is on loan at this level to get good experience. Why would they keep him around with 2 keepers ahead of him? That would be silly. You clearly know Steele isn't better than him. Do you think Brighton don't know that? 

• Moderation Lead
31 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Clearly he is on loan at this level to get good experience. Why would they keep him around with 2 keepers ahead of him? That would be silly. You clearly know Steele isn't better than him. Do you think Brighton don't know that? 

He’s not any choice at all at the moment really, but it seems a simple concept hasn’t been understood....
Having seen Steele and Walton play I would agree. Steele was very poor for us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Cos Brighton seem him playing regularly more beneficial than sitting on a bench

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cos Brighton seem him playing regularly more beneficial than sitting on a bench

Right, to put this in the simplest possible terms.

If Brighton had a keeper injured and then he got recalled, he would be third choice. Hence him currently being fourth choice.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Right, to put this in the simplest possible terms.

If Brighton had a keeper injured and then he got recalled, he would be third choice. Hence him currently being fourth choice.

Cant be recalled at this time as it outside the transfer window. 

But if recalled I don't believe he would be behind Steele. He started off with great potential but gone nowhere with it. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Realistically (I know, I know) - 1). how much would people be happy paying for Walton vs. 2). how much do we think he would actually cost?

I see three possible outcomes

Option 1 - There's never been an intention to sign him, we couldn't find a  decent keeper after selling Raya last season and he's a stopgap, in which case I'd argue that he's done fine over the course of the season but you've got to question the strategy behind the scenes. Did we really need the money that badly? What have we done with it? Where's the guarantee we get a good keeper in the summer?

Option 2 - we can sign him for less than we got for Raya overall (fee + wages). Certainly Walton and Raya are not the same type of keeper, but I'd struggle right now to say which one is the better player. Both inconsistent (Raya still inconsistent with a different, some might say better, defence in front of him), both capable of making good saves. It would be a way of leveraging our squad to conjure the difference in fees out of thin air without materially weakening the team. (i.e. exchanging two players of similar age and ability but gaining, idk £1m in the process). If that extra money pays Tosin's loan fee for another season or whatever then it could be sensible, if unspectacular, business. Unless they can pull a world class keeper on a free in the summer this may be the best case scenario.

Option 3 -  We end up signing him but he costs us more than we got for Raya, in which case I really struggle to see any point to the whole exercise.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So you acknowledge he is ahead of Steele? Neither of them will play for the 1st team this season. 

I acknowledge he’s better than Steele. If he was ahead of Steele, he’d be there at the club....

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I acknowledge he’s better than Steele. If he was ahead of Steele, he’d be there at the club....

No, because neither will play and as a valued prospect Brighton want Walton to get game time at a decent level. Steele is a squad filler, nothing else. I wouldn't be surprised if the youth team goalie started ahead of him in an injury crisis. Surely you can grasp the concept of the loan market for giving certain players first team experience?  I know it sounds better for some of you to say Walton is 4th choice and that Steele is ahead of him when you are disagreeing with/trying to wind chaddy up(you aren't in this category), but deep down I don't think people really believe that.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
27 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, because neither will play and as a valued prospect Brighton want Walton to get game time at a decent level. Steele is a squad filler, nothing else. I wouldn't be surprised if the youth team goalie started ahead of him in an injury crisis. Surely you can grasp the concept of the loan market for giving certain players first team experience?  I know it sounds better for some of you to say Walton is 4th choice and that Steele is ahead of him when you are disagreeing with/trying to wind chaddy up(you aren't in this category), but deep down I don't think people really believe that.

It’s not complicated and at the risk of repeating myself.... 

Walton is currently 4th choice. If Steele got injured and Walton could be recalled, he’d be 3rd choice. He won’t be 4th choice forever and I’d rather he was between the sticks for us than Steele, but if he was currently ahead of him in the pecking order, he wouldn’t be out on loan.

Obviously I understand why players are sent out on loan. It seems like you’re misunderstanding my feelings towards Walton and you’ve gone on the defensive.

I actually think he’s decent....

Edited by K-Hod

Just now, K-Hod said:

Walton is currently 4th choice. If Steele got injured and Walton could be recalled, he’d be 3rd choice. He won’t be 4th choice forever and I’d rather he was between the sticks for us than Steele, but if he was currently ahead of him in the pecking order, he wouldn’t be out on loan.

Obviously I understand why players are sent out on loan. It seems like you’re misunderstanding my feelings towards Walton. I actually think he’s decent....

I will leave it at this, they clearly rate Walton higher as they have eyes, keeping him around to be 3rd choice would be pointless, being on loan is the better option for him. Steele is a squad filler. There is no way I could see Steele start a PL game. I would actually bet if Ryan and Button got injured that they would sign an emergency loan. 

• Like 1

He will be ahead of Steele in the pecking order. These English squad fillers are non players. A ruse to pass the home grown quota.

Read this about Andy Lonergan at Liverpool, he says himself ‘I don’t play for Liverpool, I train for them’

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thisisanfield.com/2020/02/andy-lonergans-unique-insight-proves-right-views-of-this-liverpool-squad/amp/

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Obviously I understand why players are sent out on loan. It seems like you’re misunderstanding my feelings towards Walton and you’ve gone on the defensive.

I actually think he’s decent....

Seem complicated for you Kendog ?

Jason Steele is employed to give BHA’s strikers confidence in training, I have zero doubt.

14 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

He will be ahead of Steele in the pecking order. These English squad fillers are non players. A ruse to pass the home grown quota.

Read this about Andy Lonergan at Liverpool, he says himself ‘I don’t play for Liverpool, I train for them’

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thisisanfield.com/2020/02/andy-lonergans-unique-insight-proves-right-views-of-this-liverpool-squad/amp/

Yep, he is another one. Forgot about him. Fair play to him for calling it like it is