BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford (A) - 12:30pm KO (Sat 22nd Feb 2020)

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

So by your reckoning no game is a ‘must win’ unless not getting 3 points on a given day means you are mathematically unable to get in the playoffs, out of the bottom 3 etc.

Yes exactly - Maybe it’s just me. But ‘must win’ is final. When that day comes it must literally be success or devastation so that we know we have to go out their and go far beyond.

So yeah, I’m not accepting anything is ‘must win’ until it is. Imo - We set our stall out to win every game. Prepare meticulously. The ‘must win’ mindset is great when you win. But it completely kills you if you don’t and it’s the strength of character that you have to keep going which matters most.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

I'd like to refer to it as a must not lose but really nice to win game ?

Either way I can't see me getting much sleep tonight!

I'm not sure I'd even go as far as that. The carrot for winning is massive, no doubt about that. But we can probably lose 3 or 4 of our remaining games and still have a good chance of finishing 6th. If we're edged out in our hardest looking away game, we live to fight another day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Tbf to DomSam he was VERY good against Everton in the pre-season friendly at Ewood before the start of the 18/19 season.

He got another injury which set him back, but he had an insanely good game that day vs a Premier League defence and I walked away really hopeful for his season. He looks pretty similar now to how he did in that game, it's a crying shame we lost him for so long really throughout this season and last.

To be fair, the most important word there is friendly, I think Everton were a couple of weeks behind in terms of preperation, they played a weakened side which they changed at half time.

Samuel was very poor for most of the League 1 season, he didnt score after November and he often was very languid and lazy. He ended up below the poor Joe Nuttall in the pecking order prior to his bad injury. Barring a late season goal flurry perhaps, which gives him that motivation, I would not want us to give him a new contract.

That being said, he certainly deserves his place in the side at the moment. His composure to score v Hull was very good as was his all round performance at Charlton, he offers a threat in behind with his pace and his hold up and link up was very impressive.

Hes another player who shouldnt be stuck on the wing however.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Yes! ---instructions on Tony's whiteboard-----Shoot! Shoot! Shoot!

Cross cross cross then cross some more.

Raya will shot stop all day and night it's the nitty gritty stuff that'll undo him. Put the ball right down his pipe 50 times !

• Like 3

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, the most important word there is friendly, I think Everton were a couple of weeks behind in terms of preperation, they played a weakened side which they changed at half time.

Oh absolutely, and Samuel wasn't the best on the pitch either, but he played really well that day. Some great touches, composed finishing, just an overall top notch performance, not too dissimilar from the way he played at Charlton. If he can play like that every week I'd be more than happy for him to replace DG going forward into next season. So much more composed than SG.

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Oh absolutely, and Samuel wasn't the best on the pitch either, but he played really well that day. Some great touches, composed finishing, just an overall top notch performance, not too dissimilar from the way he played at Charlton. If he can play like that every week I'd be more than happy for him to replace DG going forward into next season. So much more composed than SG.

I think history suggests that he is very unlikely to be able to sadly. Of course I would love to be wrong, he deserves to start at the moment but barring a late season goal glut I would move him on in the summer.

Iv been pretty resolute throughout that Walton is an upgrade on Raya in terms of his all round game. But I don’t remember Raya being THAT bad with crosses. Sure he was prone to the odd rush of blood but he wasn’t terrible. Just play our game. Stifle Brentford and get Arma in between cb’s.

6 hours ago, tomphil said:

Cross cross cross then cross some more.

Raya will shot stop all day and night it's the nitty gritty stuff that'll undo him. Put the ball right down his pipe 50 times !

must be on tony`s thoughts i reckon ,most likely the reason he sold him,weak under the high ball and set pieces,get tosin and lenihan to give him hell

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Iv been pretty resolute throughout that Walton is an upgrade on Raya in terms of his all round game. But I don’t remember Raya being THAT bad with crosses. Sure he was prone to the odd rush of blood but he wasn’t terrible. Just play our game. Stifle Brentford and get Arma in between cb’s.

He looks bad because he’s 3 foot 7 but he’s not all that bad, he’s worse when it comes to decision making.

This has never been a must win but winning would be huge and not losing momentum is very important. 

I’d take a point now but feel we may surprise them

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I think the issue was more that he didn't come for crosses, rather than making that many mistakes when he did. He made a few like you say, but I think the extra demands that are placed on our defenders was seen as the bigger issue.

• Like 1