BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford (A) - 12:30pm KO (Sat 22nd Feb 2020)

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

I’m not blaming him as I said it may have gone in either way I just think a keeper wants to make it as hard as possible to be beaten at the near post from that angle however there are exceptions and the power on that strike meant it probably would have gone past anyway

Didn't feel the angle was that tight. If he had been closer to his post and it had flown to the other side I'd have been really pissed off with him. I'm very critical of keeper positioning in general, and I'll have to watch it back to be sure, but my instinct at the time was he did exactly what I'd have wanted him to do.

22 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Must admit, I find it a bit odd to blame Walton for their goal from outside the box.

That was an absolute banger that nobody could have saved....

Exactly ..regardless of Waltons starting position ..no one was saving that.

As Tyrone pointed out ..it was right in the angle and was even  swerving away from Walton.

Another day ..it would have been in the crowd but fair play to the lad he took a chance ..and he scored .

39 minutes ago, savage90 said:

Definitely not anticipated by Lenihan who was too busy appealing for offside. Any kind of challenge and Watkins wouldn't have got that shot on target. 

Looked to me like it was Tosin's man and lenihan was going across to cover while the ball was in the air. Tosin had no idea and completely lost Watkins behind him

Just now, Russ said:

Looked to me like it was Tosin's man and lenihan was going across to cover while the ball was in the air. Tosin had no idea and completely lost Watkins behind him

Agree .. thought Tosin had one of his more mediocre games today. Some of his passing wasnt what we d come to expect today ..meanwhile Lenihans was ..over hit and wayward !

57 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

IMO, both penalties were penalties. Johnson bundled into him and also gave a little shove in the back of his neck/head. He went down a little easily, but there was enough for a penalty.

Eh? Just what in the world? I dont know what sport or game you were watching. Madness

A few thoughts on today's game. Not read anything back so pretty unedited/initial reaction type of response. 

If there was a table for effort Rovers would be first. The effort we put in was phenomenal, almost a  Hughes-like team effort. We worked really hard against a technically superior team and deserved at least a point if not all 3. Actually, we deserved all 3 end of story. So regardless of what else, well done TM for instilling a hell of a work ethic in the lads. 

Their goals came about in a pretty unstoppable fashion. The first was because they had players who can make something out of nothing - as what happened for a magnificent first goal for Brentford, That;s something Rovers don't - with no disrespect intended to us - have in this league that a number of the other top 6 contenders have: a player who can make something out of nothing, even when the team isn't playing well. In the hunt for promotion this is a definite factor against us.

For their second the referee was wearing a home shirt. That never was a penalty, it was not even a call that the ref had to make and got wrong - plain and simple it was a penalty out of nothing.  If our penalty was dubious - and there certainly was a strong case for the penalty, though I appreciate there is an argument the other way - then there was no case for theirs whatsoever.So neither goal could really be helped by Rovers. 

As for Rovers - lots of huff and puff, looked decent on the break, but really limited Brentford offensively. Had it not been for a moment of magic and a referee assist WWE would think twice before sanctioning, they didn't look like scoring in the second half. For all their nice passing and possession in the second half they seemed to have run out of ideas, as shown by a fair number of balls lumped forward at the end.  Really thought we had weathered the storm - first half Brentford were sloppy shooting straight at the keeper or messing up the final pass. But having weathered the first half a tad fortuitously, probably brought about in no small part through to our endeavour and hard work, I thought we had them fairly nullified. 

A few comments on individual players: 

Walton - been very critical of him, however today he was immense. There was one poor piece of keeping early when he came for a low cross at the near post and missed, but after that error didn't put a foot wrong. Was an impressive performance, from him. 

Bell - I just don't know about the guy. He worked hard, defended well, but everything looks an effort and a struggle with him, and Brentford had their best attacks down the left side. For all his improvement I suspect we need better to progress, but he is no longer looking a liability which is a huge step forward. Buying 1 left back instead of 2 is kind of helpful/useful. 

Travis - immense and immensely frustrating. A terrier in breaking up their attacks but dribbles far too often, and often dribbles into trouble. I counted 3 or 4 occasions where this was the case, and he needs to cut this out of his game to go from being a good player to a top class one. 

Nayambe - excellent and immense. Tosin and Lenihen too. Likewise Armstrong. A bit more clinical in one on one situations would be nice, but then I fear he'd be at a different league to us, nevermind club.  

Gally - he wins flick ons but doesn't look at all threatening or creative in any sense of the word. Want him to come good but yikes, doesn't look all that likely on today's showing.

Buckley - an absolute gem and asset when in possession, a passenger when we don't have it. Really torn as the lad has lots of skill but no athleticism. Perhaps better as an impact sub for now until he toughens up.

Speaking of subs we had so few options from the bench it hurt. Up front isn't too bad, Gally is like for like with Samuel (although I suspect the latter may be a bit better) and a Plan B in Graham (would perhaps have been worth a cameo today). However midfield and defensively there wasn't really any options which again is a huge worry. If any of our players are playing poorly or tiring there isn't any options to bring on to change the game. This is another factor I think that will cost us in the run up. Sure, the injury situation is a key factor in this, but again, it could be a difference maker in top 6.

Overall I am encouraged as we deserved to win, and if we put in that level of performance and effort we will get more points on the board. However, today also confirmed to me whilst we are capable of getting into the playoffs it's through hard work and consistency (I guess that is always the case) and that we've no X factor, in player magic or squad rotation that we can call on to help us. This lack of X factor I feel will be the difference maker in whether we make playoffs or not. . 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

...If there was a table for effort Rovers would be first. The effort we put in was phenomenal, almost a  Hughes-like team effort. We worked really hard against a technically superior team and deserved at least a point if not all 3. Actually, we deserved all 3 end of story. So regardless of what else, well done TM for instilling a hell of a work ethic in the lads. 

Their goals came about in a pretty unstoppable fashion. The first was because they had players who can make something out of nothing - as what happened for a magnificent first goal for Brentford, That;s something Rovers don't - with no disrespect intended to us - have in this league that a number of the other top 6 contenders have: a player who can make something out of nothing, even when the team isn't playing well. In the hunt for promotion this is a definite factor against us....

Good post this. Only quibble Ive got is isn't Armstrong the definition of a player who can create something from nothing? Does it virtually every game.