BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford (A) - 12:30pm KO (Sat 22nd Feb 2020)

6 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Good post this. Only quibble Ive got is isn't Armstrong the definition of a player who can create something from nothing? Does it virtually every game.

Thanks for the compliment.  ?

No I don't think he is as he needs through balls and balls lofted over for him to run on to. If the service is poor, i doubt he'd get as many as he has been doing. He's in part imo dependent on others giving him some service. For example I couldn't see him scoring the type of goal the Brentford forward did for their first goal, when it wasn't really a chance but then became one.

That said, I do think he is a great player, a huge asset and his pace gives us a huge out and means he can capitalise on mistakes. So yeah, he's a big goal threat, but I wouldn't say when there;s nothing on, he'll make something happen. Hope this distinction makes sense! For me Mulgrew attacking wise was a player who could magic something out of nothing with free kicks from any area, or Duff who could start a run on the byline just inside the opposition half and end up waltzing past a few players and scoring. Can see the argument the other way though, but he doesn't have that X factor, nor do any of the others, that i think one or two other teams had. We had it in League 1, we don't at this level. 

Edited by Blue blood

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

...and in the blink of an eye, we are 5points off the playoffs. Football is a bastard.  I hate it and love it in equal measure.

But... PNE are away at West Brom and Fulham next two games.

Two massive games at home for us, could’ve turned on its head by this time next week.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

Just got back from our final trip to Griffin Park (unless play offs!) and though I had a face like a slapped arse when they equalised, I’d take a point at the start.

Very sloppy on the ball for much of it but once we went 2-0 up it looked like Brentford were done and our confidence shot up, shame they scored such a good goal when they did.

Thats the tough one out the way, huge week ahead.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

But... PNE are away at West Brom and Fulham next two games.

Two massive games at home for us, could’ve turned on its head by this time next week.

Would fancy them vs Fulham who are wobbling. A lot of quality the Fulham lot, but no nous in the manager. 

• Moderation Lead
28 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Dingles 8th in the PL and through managed decline we are now ecstatic with a draw against tinpot Brentford.

Who’s ecstatic? Are you making stuff up again?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Thanks for the compliment.  ?

No I don't think he is as he needs through balls and balls lofted over for him to run on to. If the service is poor, i doubt he'd get as many as he has been doing. He's in part imo dependent on others giving him some service. For example I couldn't see him scoring the type of goal the Brentford forward did for their first goal, when it wasn't really a chance but then became one.

That said, I do think he is a great player, a huge asset and his pace gives us a huge out and means he can capitalise on mistakes. So yeah, he's a big goal threat, but I wouldn't say when there;s nothing on, he'll make something happen. Hope this distinction makes sense! For me Mulgrew attacking wise was a player who could magic something out of nothing with free kicks from any area, or Duff who could start a run on the byline just inside the opposition half and end up waltzing past a few players and scoring. Can see the argument the other way though, but he doesn't have that X factor, nor do any of the others, that i think one or two other teams had. We had it in League 1, we don't at this level. 

Armstrong’s recent form with his goals against QPR & Hull especially and his assists at Sheff Weds would suggest he can do exactly what you describe, danger where no danger seemed present.

6 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

The next two home games will define how the run in goes I think.

If we are serious contenders we have to win both.

You get silly results in this league. I think if we end up a couple of points behind PNE come the final whistle next Saturday, we're all licking our lips, even if it comes from drawing one of our next two.

• Like 1

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

Too much emphasis on one result. Todays results just prove theres a long way to go. We may have lost ground on PNE TODAY but the result at Brentford maybe a massive plus in games to come.

All will be revealed ...

Or a deflating one after throwing away a 2 goal lead.

I thought we did ok for the most part, and a point is a good result on paper.

Thing is though I just can't be "happy with a point" after being 2-0 up, and the day I am is probably when I'll decide to pack it all in to be honest.

It's 2 points dropped, especially with Preston winning.

This time next week we'll have a good idea whether we're in the running or not I think.

A very good away point. Losing a 2-0 lead would be galling in other circumstances but Brentford were always in it and when it got to 2-2 it looked like only going one way. We scored out of nothing in the first half and Brentford tore us to shreds at times. Got to be happy with a point out of that. Very few teams will go there and win. 
Our season will not be defined by today. The next week will tell us a lot.

• Like 1

This time next week we'll have a good idea whether we're in the running or not I think.

Exactly Mark ..its not a sprint ..its a marathon ..an average of 2pts a game should not see us far off .Every team around us is dropping points ..just stay in the pack and keep picking points up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Or a deflating one after throwing away a 2 goal lead.

I thought we did ok for the most part, and a point is a good result on paper.

Thing is though I just can't be "happy with a point" after being 2-0 up, and the day I am is probably when I'll decide to pack it all in to be honest.

It's 2 points dropped, especially with Preston winning.

It’s not 2 points dropped based on how the game panned out. Brentford threatened to cut loose throughout the game. We were in the same position last season and conceded 5, that says a lot about where we’ve come in 12 months. Walton, especially, has stepped up.

14 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Armstrong’s recent form with his goals against QPR & Hull especially and his assists at Sheff Weds would suggest he can do exactly what you describe, danger where no danger seemed present.

Perhaps - and I hope I am mistaken! Am not convinced from what I have seen but as you and Joey say there is a case and evidence Armstrong can do this. So hopefully we do have it in our locker. 

I'll be honest I still think we don't have enough magic out of nowhere in the team but perhaps the weakness isn't as big as I fear if Armstrong can contribute to this. 

2 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

A very good away point. Losing a 2-0 lead would be galling in other circumstances but Brentford were always in it and when it got to 2-2 it looked like only going one way. We scored out of nothing in the first half and Brentford tore us to shreds at times. Got to be happy with a point out of that. Very few teams will go there and win. 
Our season will not be defined by today. The next week will tell us a lot.

Agreed. I felt we would need to score at least 2 not to lose today, in what ever order they came.

1 hour ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

We were 3 points outside the playoffs.

Now 5 points.

The regression is the 2 points we chucked away today.

If you genuinely think we chucked two points away today you should consider taking a break from watching football. 
I understand a tinge of disappointment after being 2-0 up but the manner of losing that lead was very different to any previous instance of that happening recently, which has admittedly been too often. It was a valid comment after Preston away for example or Birmingham at home last season, but not today.
Some folk can’t see the wood for the trees.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 6

Days like today are why I Like the fact we get a lot of 3 game weeks in the Championship.

Today will be judged a success or failure this time next Saturday.

We go back to Ewood for 2 more games, difficult games but if we play with the same effort and commitment as today there's no reason we won't bring in 7 points this week.

All that matters is where we are in May. A point against a good Brentford team is a good sign but what we do at Home is more important.

• Like 1

Great result not the score but the attitude. I feel has a team we are up for this more than last season. I’ve had to many false dawns with rovers but I believe this may be different. Top 6 yes the chance is there because we have a bit more iron about us. This league is about attitude not apptitude and today was a great example of that.

On a side note looked at the Brentford forums they are the biggest bunch of conceited bastards. Love themselves 

Quote: Rovers where there to be annihilated.

Big week next week 

COYB

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Not just digging out you here Chaddy, but the amount of stick referees get is ridiculous. He was by no means perfect today, but it’s not only a tough job, it’s a completely thankless task.

Wherever you look these days people love moaning about how refs are incompetent and ruining the game... these are the same people who celebrate ‘shithousing’.

Players attempting to cheat and con the ref is widely accepted. Teams work on it. When they are successful at it it’s all the referees fault.

These ridiculous expectations, along with the  massive scrutiny and inevitable outrage they face have led to shit ideas like VAR being introduced.

Refs and Linesmen are full time professional match officials yet still making bad mistakes. The standard of the Refereeing in the England game is nothing short of pathetic. No wonder we didn't have any Match officials at World Cup or Euro's. Its been declining for around 8 tom 10 years. Half of the officials are unfit and struggle to keep up with the game whether it ref keeping up with the game or Linesmen keep up with the defence line. Yet the FA, EFL and PL do nothing about improving the referee standards 

VAR was a shit idea right from the start. Hate it

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Must admit, I find it a bit odd to blame Walton for their goal from outside the box.

That was an absolute banger that nobody could have saved....

Nothing Walton could do. Most of the time that would end up in Row Z

2 hours ago, Tom said:

The irony being Chaddy is staunchly against VAR, either you accept mistakes will be made or accept the sterilised version with every decision reviewed

There’s no perfect solution where refs become superhuman and get everything right 

VAR is a joke of system. slow the game down. Still making mistakes like today at the Chelsea/Spurs game

Referees are professional aren't they? most look unfit and struggle to get round a pitch like the Ref against Hull at Ewood Park. I could move quickly with broken foot

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Agreed, have seen it back several times. He drags Buckley down, then looks straight at the ref looking guilty as hell.

I agree. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Doubt I'm saying anything that hasn't already been said, but:

- Overall, Brentford all over us from about 0 to 25, then again from maybe 70 to 90, while we had a bright patch in between. Brentford's finishing and final touch was pretty terrible throughout.

- Walton's insistence on kicking into the wind in the second half was frustrating... otherwise, can't fault him for Brentford's sublime first goal. And he was pretty assured with the ball in a game where a ballplaying keeper was a must as we struggled to cycle possession in the back

- Buckley and Nyambe were quite exposed on the right in the first 30 mins or so. Nyambe of course physically up for it, but seemed to struggle in his communication a couple times. Lenihan seemed uncertain when to help. Buckley frankly a bit useless defensively... but we all know that. Game changed once Buckley was shuttled over to the left. (He did look decent on the ball at least, as usual!)

- Armstrong continuing to be immense

- Travis my MOTM. Johnson and Downing's experience was nice to have in a game like this, but it felt like Travis had to cover ground for both of them. Perhaps as designed... but there was a couple moments of "who the **** is playing midfield?" on a couple Brentford attacks

Losing the win after being up 2-0 is always going to be frustrating, but their first was pretty incredible, and the second a maybe questionable pen... it happens. Obviously would've taken a point at the start, so on we go! Not the 'season decider' as Brentford away has been a couple times in recent years!

• Like 7