BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford (A) - 12:30pm KO (Sat 22nd Feb 2020)

1 hour ago, Tom said:

The irony being Chaddy is staunchly against VAR, either you accept mistakes will be made or accept the sterilised version with every decision reviewed

There’s no perfect solution where refs become superhuman and get everything right 

Honestly prefer it as it was today. The only thing i would like is for a panel (including the actual referee) to review and punish cheating. 

Difficult i know in the modern business that is football with lawsuits everywhere but if the ref looks at it, admits they were deceived/wrong without predjudice then a disciplinary panel could decide appropriate punishment. 

Difficult in reality - today i would think the ref would admit it was a wrong decision but their player should only receive the mildest of warnings that he was treading a fine Line. Such warnings could be accumulated like yellow cards whilst blatant cheating equals instant ban.

• Like 3

A lot of people with an inferiority complex on here prior to the game, trying to be accepting of a defeat before the game had taken place. As it happened, we were competitive, and ultimately from a 2 nil lead should be very frustrated to have thrown the win away. A game of a very, very harsh penalty that were lucky to receive, and a joke of one given to them.

Ultimately, 2 of the main themes are that we never actually get into the top 6, and that we constantly throw away points from winning positions (now 23) and they were both prevalent today. I suspect obviously the former but very much the latter will be a big regret at the end of the season.

I just feel that in terms of quality, with the injuries, we are a little short of quality at this stage to be honest. Downing and Johnson were unable to use their experience today to really control the game in any way and Brentford were very much the dominant side. Our attacking play is very reliant on the resurgent Armstrong although he did miss 2 one on ones today, his goal was arguably the hardest of the lot, his technical ability is there but he needs to be more clinical when one on one. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Rothwell back next week??

Hope so. I think he would have made a good replacement for Buckley later on in today's game. Having someone like Rothwell with his ability to travel with the ball and retain possession would probably have seen us over the line today. We missed having someone to run at them and drag them around a bit.

• Like 7

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A lot of people with an inferiority complex on here prior to the game, trying to be accepting of a defeat before the game had taken place. As it happened, we were competitive, and ultimately from a 2 nil lead should be very frustrated to have thrown the win away. A game of a very, very harsh penalty that were lucky to receive, and a joke of one given to them.

Ultimately, 2 of the main themes are that we never actually get into the top 6, and that we constantly throw away points from winning positions (now 23) and they were both prevalent today. I suspect obviously the former but very much the latter will be a big regret at the end of the season.

I just feel that in terms of quality, with the injuries, we are a little short of quality at this stage to be honest. Downing and Johnson were unable to use their experience today to really control the game in any way and Brentford were very much the dominant side. Our attacking play is very reliant on the resurgent Armstrong although he did miss 2 one on ones today, his goal was arguably the hardest of the lot, his technical ability is there but he needs to be more clinical when one on one. 

He must have spent the week watching those finishing videos Jason Roberts did for the BBC.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

They aren’t professionals outside the Prem.

Rovers fan and EFL ref Ben Toner is a teacher, for example.

Championship Referees are professional at this level

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/match-officials/pgmol/

from the link

"Following an extensive assessment process, eighteen referees were chosen to form the new Select Group 2 and became full time professionals at the start of the season."

It’s not only that group that refs Championship games.

‘The Select Group referees officiate some games, but they are supplemented by National List referees. We are looking to grow the pool. The ultimate objective is to have all referees in the Championship as full-time professionals.‘

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/sport/football/566621/Championship-referees-to-become-full-time/amp

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

I am very very pleased with what TM is doing at Rovers. We are a very tough side to play against. We look so solid even when being battered by one of the best teams in the division. A big improvement to Brentford away last season.

Good point today. Full of confidence for the rest of the season.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Lucky to receive? think I and certain other posters have proved that it was penalty. Raya face after he push Buckley knows its a pen, The rules that someone has posted(think @Herbie6590 posted, sorry if wrong). 

It only matters being in the top 6 after 46 games not after 34 games. Sheff Wed were top 6 not long ago not mid table 

Armstrong has step up to the plate like I suggested he would if we played up front after Dack Injury. If I remember correctly, you keep asking me who would step up to score in the games, I said Armstrong and the rest of his team mates. Players have set up and its very pleasing to see aswell. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bazza said:

I am very very pleased with what TM is doing at Rovers. We are a very tough side to play against. We look so solid even when being battered by one of the best teams in the division. A big improvement to Brentford away last season.

Good point today. Full of confidence for the rest of the season.

A point I made the other week, there’s a few sides above us who have been battered and lost by 3+ goals this season, and I just don’t see that happening to us which is a credit to the side.

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Lucky to receive? think I and certain other posters have proved that it was penalty. Raya face after he push Buckley knows its a pen, The rules that someone has posted(think @Herbie6590 posted, sorry if wrong). 

It only matters being in the top 6 after 46 games not after 34 games. Sheff Wed were top 6 not long ago not mid table 

Armstrong has step up to the plate like I suggested he would if we played up front after Dack Injury. If I remember correctly, you keep asking me who would step up to score in the games, I said Armstrong and the rest of his team mates. Players have set up and its very pleasing to see aswell. 

You havent proven anything, youve stated your opinion. It certainly wasnt as clear cut as the decision against us which was a dive but I think we were lucky to get ours. I dont think I have ever seen you agree with a decision against us or disagree against one that has gone our way so if you want to view it from a position lacking neutrality then fair enough.

The throwing away of 23 points from winning positions will be a huge regret if we do miss out on the top 6.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

...and in the blink of an eye, we are 5points off the playoffs. Football is a bastard.  I hate it and love it in equal measure.

We may be further from the playoffs but other results were pretty positive keeping plenty of others within spitting distance. Long way to go. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It’s not only that group that refs Championship games.

‘The Select Group referees officiate some games, but they are supplemented by National List referees. We are looking to grow the pool. The ultimate objective is to have all referees in the Championship as full-time professionals.‘

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/sport/football/566621/Championship-referees-to-become-full-time/amp

The select group 2 referees are professional now. Which are Championship Refs unless a Group 1 ref step down and refereeing at this level. The National list only refs league 1 and 2. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_refereeing_in_England#Levels

Today's ref is Tim Robinson who is a full time professional ref. 

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/match-officials/select-group-two-officials/what-is-select-group-2/

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/match-officials/select-group-two-officials/select-group-2-match-officials/referee-profiles-201920/tim-robinson/

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

Armstrong continues to confuse me game by game. All though he has improved massively recently. He HAS to start scoring the “easier” goals. I have never been confident with him finishing a one on one. Today was the same. 

Absolutely. As you say, he has stepped up into the void left by Dack and co. He has contributed with some assists and some particularly eye catching goals but in terms of improving his numbers further and adding sustainability in terms of consistency of goals he needs to start showing composure when one on one and also anticipating tap ins amd scruffy goals.

• Like 1

Another case of  what could have been at Griffin Park. For a an hour I thought that we were comfortable, the first goal as well taken as it was, was poor defending from Tosin and Lenihan to be so far off him. 

As for the two penalties. Our's is a penalty, Raya's decision making as bad as it has always been. As for theirs it is a blatant dive but as soon as he chucked himself to the floor I just knew the ref was going to give it. Although very poor defending by Bell to allow him to get into the area.

Travis and Johnson were the stand out performers today for me. Johnson is a strange player some games he looks so far of the pace you think he should be long retired and then other games he is dominant there doesn't seem to be any in between with him.

The mental strength of this squad is still a worry. With the play offs in sight we again passed up the opportunity and of course yet more points dropped from a winning position.

• Backroom
Just now, roversfan99 said:

Absolutely. As you say, he has stepped up into the void left by Dack and co. He has contributed with some assists and some particularly eye catching goals but in terms of improving his numbers further and adding sustainability in terms of consistency of goals he needs to start showing composure when one on one and also anticipating tap ins amd scruffy goals.

Tbf if Arma added that to his arsenal then he would 100% be gone to a PL club in the summer. The lad isn't far away from being a top level player based on current form. Honestly I think he may have some serious interest in the summer anyway, as much like Josh King he has that critical ingredient of pace which will intrigue top tier clubs even with his weaknesses taken into account. 

Newcastle must be kicking themselves for selling him for such a relative pittance. I wonder if there's a sell-on clause in there? 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

Hope so. I think he would have made a good replacement for Buckley later on in today's game. Having someone like Rothwell with his ability to travel with the ball and retain possession would probably have seen us over the line today. We missed having someone to run at them and drag them around a bit.

I do think we retain possession better with rothwell in the team. Hopefully we will see him against stoke on Wednesday.

Overall it's a good point . They had a lot of the ball in and around our area and missed a couple of good chances. That is as deep as I've seen us defend in a while and there was some terrific blocks in there. 

Our first goal was assisted by the wind but Armstrong took it well. Our penalty was debatable, one angle it looks very harsh the other it looks a foul. I know we conceded 2 but thought we defended well, you cant really moan about throwing away a 2 goal lead when one goal was a screamer and the other was basically a dive and shouldn't have been given.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DE. said:

Tbf if Arma added that to his arsenal then he would 100% be gone to a PL club in the summer. The lad isn't far away from being a top level player based on current form. Honestly I think he may have some serious interest in the summer anyway, as much like Josh King he has that critical ingredient of pace which will intrigue top tier clubs even with his weaknesses taken into account. 

Newcastle must be kicking themselves for selling him for such a relative pittance. I wonder if there's a sell-on clause in there? 

To be fair, he has only been putting this level of consistent performance for 2 or 3 months. For the first 18 months of his time here as a permanent and Championship player, he was poor far often than he was good and his goal and assist contributions were very underwhelming. He does need to keep doing what hes doing, add more "bread and butter" goals and then as you suggest, Prem clubs may take a serious interest.

Interestingly, out of all the Premier League teams, the one that he could possibly break into are the one that sold him. If they ever did come back for him, I doubt we would be able to keep him.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We were away too one of the best sides in the division with an injury ravaged squad it's a good point.

Also Raya did get the ball first but he grabbed Bucko as he turned to try and go for the ball so it's a pen every day of the week.

Edited by Beanie01289
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He almost passes to the keeper every time.

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, he has only been putting this level of consistent performance for 2 or 3 months. For the first 18 months of his time here as a permanent and Championship player, he was poor far often than he was good and his goal and assist contributions were very underwhelming. He does need to keep doing what hes doing, add more "bread and butter" goals and then as you suggest, Prem clubs may take a serious interest.

Interestingly, out of all the Premier League teams, the one that he could possibly break into are the one that sold him. If they ever did come back for him, I doubt we would be able to keep him.

The interesting thing about Armstrong is that often even when he wasn't playing well he'd still chip in with a decent amount of goals and a few assists. That's a very good trait to have as a player. He isn't the finished article yet but I don't think he's too far away from the level King, for example, was at when he left us. He'd definitely be one of the first to go if Venky's decided to pull the plug again and I reckon he'd likely end up at a PL club - even if only as a squad player to begin with. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DE. said:

The interesting thing about Armstrong is that often even when he wasn't playing well he'd still chip in with a decent amount of goals and a few assists. That's a very good trait to have as a player. He isn't the finished article yet but I don't think he's too far away from the level King, for example, was at when he left us. He'd definitely be one of the first to go if Venky's decided to pull the plug again and I reckon he'd likely end up at a PL club - even if only as a squad player to begin with. 

I’d say he’s already WAY better than King ever was for us

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

True that - he is a local geordie boy after all (he played in the same Kingston Park side as my lad, when they were both nippers, although he didn't stand out as anything back then)..