BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford (A) - 12:30pm KO (Sat 22nd Feb 2020)

• Backroom
Just now, arbitro said:

To be fair we didn't really chat about specific incidents although I have seen it now and the outcome should have been a yellow card for a clear act of simulation. I thought our penalty was soft too.

Raya's momentum took him into Buckley, but choosing to drag Buckley down was where the decision became clear. Perhaps Raya didn't mean to do it and it was a natural reaction to falling into somebody, but it is what it is. I thought it was pretty clear cut and on Quest there didn't seem to be any suggestion from the commentator or from Colin Murray/Nathan Jones that it was anything other than a foul.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DE. said:

Raya's momentum took him into Buckley, but choosing to drag Buckley down was where the decision became clear. Perhaps Raya didn't mean to do it and it was a natural reaction to falling into somebody, but it is what it is. I thought it was pretty clear cut and on Quest there didn't seem to be any suggestion from the commentator or from Colin Murray/Nathan Jones that it was anything other than a foul.

I wouldn't have said it's out and out wrong but more soft. I'd have been disappointed if it had gone against us.

• Backroom
Just now, arbitro said:

I wouldn't have said it's out and out wrong but more soft. I'd have been disappointed if it had gone against us.

One thing I think everyone can agree on is that ours was much more a penalty than theirs was! Still, on balance of play I can't begrudge Brentford a point. Walton proved his worth more than once this afternoon, another who has really improved in the past couple of months. Not sure what's been introduced to the diet at Ewood since Christmas but it's certainly working. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Honestly can’t complain about the result today and thought we played about as well I could’ve hoped. Was ashame their goal came when it did as we looked to have weathered the storm well and could see out the game. Came from absolutely nothing. Their pen wasn’t a pen but Johnson shouldn’t have gave the ref the option. Up until then I felt we got the majority of the refs decisions who I thought was shocking to both throughout. 

Thought travis was immense, has became a very important player for us. Walton and nyambe were also very good. Armstrong took his goals well but I still think he needs to lift his head at times - evident in his one v one , not looking for the correct side of the keeper. But happy with his progress.

very few negatives but thought downing was poor, even right at the death he had the opportunity to fire a corner in and instead lofted it to the edge of their box which nearly set them on a breakaway. 

johnson was the player I hoped we had signed but as mentioned rash on the pen and was a bit overly dirty at times. 

buckley- still to make my mind up if I like him or not to be honest. Neat and tidy but needs to show a bit more. 

though gallagher looked decent when he came on, relieved some pressure from our box and was unlucky with a run into theirs. 

im not as confident as most against stoke and Swansea but if we can take 6 points from them, it’s game on 

Good post.

Although he didn’t impact the game as much as we’ve seen, I thought Downing did play a part in weathering the storm just by getting his foot on the ball, safely popping it about and being an option.

Was only in brief flashes though. 

Did think we were naive with most of the lofty balls and goal kicks. Was too bloody windy.

Play like that then we’ll win a few though.

Still 1/4 the season left.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

We were 3 points outside the playoffs.

Now 5 points.

The regression is the 2 points we chucked away today.

Shouldn't that read, "the 2 points the Ref chucked away for us with the softest penalty decision ever"?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

I’d be more disappointed in our goalkeeper for doing it tbh.

Was stupid by Raya.

Raya had many of those rushes of blood for us and cost us a lot of points. There was a chant of "you're just a shit Christian Walton" to Raya which I found amusing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blue blood said:

A few thoughts on today's game.

For their second the referee was wearing a home shirt. That never was a penalty, it was not even a call that the ref had to make and got wrong - plain and simple it was a penalty out of nothing.  If our penalty was dubious - and there certainly was a strong case for the penalty, though I appreciate there is an argument the other way - then there was no case for theirs whatsoever.So neither goal could really be helped by Rovers.

A bit of selective editing from someone who wasn't there and who won't pay Murdoch!

I haven't heard ANYone neutral - BBC Radio 5, Quest TV - commentating on the game who thought that that Brentford's second 'goal' was a penalty.

Obviously, I'm sad at the outcome, but it was a point I'd have taken at 12.29 this lunchtime. I'm a bit worried that Michael O'Neill's improved Stoke to the extent that I fear that 5 will be our maximum haul of points from today's and next week's two games.

Let's hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

Just now, m1st said:

A bit of selective editing from someone who wasn't there and who won't pay Murdoch!

I haven't heard ANYone neutral - BBC Radio 5, Quest TV - commentating on the game who thought that that Brentford's second 'goal' was a penalty.

Obviously, I'm sad at the outcome, but it was a point I'd have taken at 12.29 this lunchtime. I'm a bit worried that Michael O'Neill's improved Stoke to the extent that I fear that 5 will be our maximum haul of points from today's and next week's two games.

Let's hope I'm wrong.

Murdoch sold Sky last year, so get your hand in your pocket ^_^

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, m1st said:

I'm a bit worried that Michael O'Neill's improved Stoke to the extent that I fear that 5 will be our maximum haul of points from today's and next week's two games.

Let's hope I'm wrong.

Despite the perception of improvement Stoke have lost 3 of their last 5 including defeats to QPR, Preston and Derby. QPR and Derby both put 4 past them as well, so I don't think we have anything to fear from them. They are capable of good results (they beat WBA and Swansea last month) but overall if we play as well as we have been recently we should be able to handle them comfortably.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Raya had many of those rushes of blood for us and cost us a lot of points. There was a chant of "you're just a shit Christian Walton" to Raya which I found amusing.

Amusing but frustrating , raya , if  you think he is shit or not is one of our lads . He deserves our respect . Blackburn lad by proxy . 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The select group 2 referees are professional now. Which are Championship Refs unless a Group 1 ref step down and refereeing at this level. The National list only refs league 1 and 2. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_refereeing_in_England#Levels

Today's ref is Tim Robinson who is a full time professional ref. 

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/match-officials/select-group-two-officials/what-is-select-group-2/

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/match-officials/select-group-two-officials/select-group-2-match-officials/referee-profiles-201920/tim-robinson/

Well, if he is, I hope he can explain today's second penalty to his evaluators' satisfaction.

6 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Amusing but frustrating , raya , if  you think he is shit or not is one of our lads . He deserves our respect . Blackburn lad by proxy . 

The away end were making sure to remind him that he’s one of our own.

Especially when he gifted us the pen.

3 hours ago, DE. said:

Tbf if Arma added that to his arsenal then he would 100% be gone to a PL club in the summer. The lad isn't far away from being a top level player based on current form. Honestly I think he may have some serious interest in the summer anyway, as much like Josh King he has that critical ingredient of pace which will intrigue top tier clubs even with his weaknesses taken into account. 

Newcastle must be kicking themselves for selling him for such a relative pittance. I wonder if there's a sell-on clause in there? 

I have a number of friends who are season ticket-holders at St. James' Park whom I asked about AA when we signed him. The consensus was that Rafa Benitez didn't think he could make it at the absolute top level.

They made it sound like we'd got an absolute bargain at the price we paid for him; I'd be staggered if their beloved owner ? doesn't habe a good sell-on clause written into deals like the one on which we acquired him.

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

The away end were making sure to remind him that he’s one of our own.

Especially when he gifted us the pen.

Yeah one of the reasons I do less away games now ( but wasn’t the reason today as I tend to do most London games ) is the coked up peasants they seem to attract more and more . Respect to a lad who moved from abroad as a v young lad to give us his all

Just now, Inglorious basturk said:

Yeah one of the reasons I do less away games now ( but wasn’t the reason today as I tend to do most London games ) is the coked up peasants they seem to attract more and more . Respect to a lad who moved from abroad as a v young lad to give us his all

It’s all a bit of fun.

He got a glowing and heartfelt chant and round of applause when he came out for the second half.

And I’ve been clean for years thankyouverymuch.

• Like 1

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

It’s all a bit of fun.

He got a glowing and heartfelt chant and round of applause when he came out for the second half.

And I’ve been clean for years thankyouverymuch.

I wasn’t referring to you !! Equally I’m far too old to be sniffing  anything now at 39 however I can imagine some full out idiots giving him stick too . 

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, m1st said:

I have a number of friends who are season ticket-holders at St. James' Park whom I asked about AA when we signed him. The consensus was that Rafa Benitez didn't think he could make it at the absolute top level.

They made it sound like we'd got an absolute bargain at the price we paid for him; I'd be staggered if their beloved owner ? doesn't habe a good sell-on clause written into deals like the one on which we acquired him.

Strange one as frankly Newcastle under Ashley will never be absolute top level, they'll do well to remain a mid-table PL side. Arma would definitely be an asset for them right now if they'd kept hold of him imo, whether that be this season or next season if they were still loaning him out. 

Good result  today would have been happy before kick off with a point could have been 3 points but nevermind. Travis and Armstrong  are going too take some holding on too in the summer. Walton made some cracking saves too  TM  should have change it when Brentford overloaded the left side and Bell had  two running at him. Going into the summer Lenihan  Nyambe  Travis  Armstrong  are good young players for teams with money I hope Venkys hold firm and show ambition. And the way the City lad has come on i hope the club are going try and get him back on loan from City  they must be very happy with he's  progress . Happy tonight up the Rovers

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

Crazy to see some criticising Walton for the Watkins goal.

It’s leathered into the postage stamp beautifully.

No one is saving that.

In every league in the world, it was an absolute screamer. Nobody is stopping that shit. Alongside Armstrong, Walton has been a stand out player in 2020. 

• Like 4