BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford (A) - 12:30pm KO (Sat 22nd Feb 2020)

15 minutes ago, m1st said:

I have a number of friends who are season ticket-holders at St. James' Park whom I asked about AA when we signed him. The consensus was that Rafa Benitez didn't think he could make it at the absolute top level.

They made it sound like we'd got an absolute bargain at the price we paid for him; I'd be staggered if their beloved owner ? doesn't habe a good sell-on clause written into deals like the one on which we acquired him.

Don’t know if this is an unpopular take -

But I think Rafa did a bog average job at Newcastle and never stopped crying about it.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 7

We can't complain too much about today. Proud of the fight and passion the lads put up but not enough arte. We could blame the wind but it affected them too.

MOM was Walton by a million miles which really shows how most of the game went. How is he Brighton's 4th choice? The other 3 must be exceptional! Reminded me of Brad yesterday.

Should we sign him? The question is going to be "can we afford him?"

2nd pen a joke  but when you think of the saves Walton had to make compared to Raya then we have to conclude they were the better side.

Up front remains the problem, we just can't retain possession. Old-fashioned I may be but our game cried out for 2 wingers who could hold the ball and could cross when it when the cavalry arrived. It looked desolate up there!

Can't agree with this post-match comment from TM:

"That said, they are a very good football team, well coached and a well-run club but for long spells we were on top, so we leave frustrated and disappointed."

We were overrun for virtually all of the first half. 2nd half was better but "on top for long spells"---I don't think so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's what good keepers do, they're aware of the conditions and how they can affect opponents decision making. Raya would be more aware than most as to how hard the wind was blowing.

Nah, I don't buy that with Raya. Hes shown many times that his decision making is poor, this was another example.

• Like 3

Their penalty was just a garbage ref even ing it up. Never a penalty in a million years. To hold out for a win away at a top side with your best players missing you need luck and some fair and strong refereeing. We didn't get that today. But 12 months ago we'd have lost that game so definitely progress. Walton played well to be fair so deserves some credit. Need to be ruthless now at home. These are the kind of games we have bottled in the past.

• Like 2

• Backroom
30 minutes ago, 47er said:

MOM was Walton by a million miles which really shows how most of the game went. How is he Brighton's 4th choice? The other 3 must be exceptional! Reminded me of Brad yesterday.

I think 4th choice is a bit misleading. Whilst it's technically true the fact is Steele is there as a token English player to bolster the quota, much like Grant at Man Utd and various others. They are in name "3rd choice" but in reality are just training dummies that will never see first team action. Walton on the other hand potentially has a future so is being loaned out accordingly to ensure he continues to progress and get experience.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Honestly can’t complain about the result today and thought we played about as well I could’ve hoped. Was ashame their goal came when it did as we looked to have weathered the storm well and could see out the game. Came from absolutely nothing. Their pen wasn’t a pen but Johnson shouldn’t have gave the ref the option. Up until then I felt we got the majority of the refs decisions who I thought was shocking to both throughout. 

Thought travis was immense, has became a very important player for us. Walton and nyambe were also very good. Armstrong took his goals well but I still think he needs to lift his head at times - evident in his one v one , not looking for the correct side of the keeper. But happy with his progress.

very few negatives but thought downing was poor, even right at the death he had the opportunity to fire a corner in and instead lofted it to the edge of their box which nearly set them on a breakaway. 

johnson was the player I hoped we had signed but as mentioned rash on the pen and was a bit overly dirty at times. 

buckley- still to make my mind up if I like him or not to be honest. Neat and tidy but needs to show a bit more. 

though gallagher looked decent when he came on, relieved some pressure from our box and was unlucky with a run into theirs. 

im not as confident as most against stoke and Swansea but if we can take 6 points from them, it’s game on 

Great summary of the game. With Buckley, he was a lamb to slaughter on the right and glad we noticed it and put him in a bit. He’s very very good on the ball, this is a tough league for his physique but he’s gonna be a great player for us and only get better.

On a side note of someone saying Brentford didn’t like our time wasting, nothing took longer all game then their corners. The guy took an age to everyone of them, and when he got subbed his replacement did the same.

Still don’t see what their issue with ref was but guess I see it from a different point of view.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 47er said:

Can't agree with this post-match comment from TM:

"That said, they are a very good football team, well coached and a well-run club but for long spells we were on top, so we leave frustrated and disappointed."

We were overrun for virtually all of the first half. 2nd half was better but "on top for long spells"---I don't think so.

Only if you consider "on top" as winning.  But without a doubt they were the better side.

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You havent proven anything, youve stated your opinion. It certainly wasnt as clear cut as the decision against us which was a dive but I think we were lucky to get ours. I dont think I have ever seen you agree with a decision against us or disagree against one that has gone our way so if you want to view it from a position lacking neutrality then fair enough.

The throwing away of 23 points from winning positions will be a huge regret if we do miss out on the top 6.

At least we are getting into winning positions. I'd be more worried if we weren't. 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

Walton has suffered criticism as he was a bit of a fluke signing after failing on other targets , he replaced one of our own youth prospects who seemed to be somewhat marginalised ,l and he doesn’t belong to us . He was also rubbish to begin with . He’s improved significantly which although I’m slightly cautious about I’m v happy about 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Roverthechimp said:

Honestly prefer it as it was today. The only thing i would like is for a panel (including the actual referee) to review and punish cheating. 

Difficult i know in the modern business that is football with lawsuits everywhere but if the ref looks at it, admits they were deceived/wrong without predjudice then a disciplinary panel could decide appropriate punishment. 

Difficult in reality - today i would think the ref would admit it was a wrong decision but their player should only receive the mildest of warnings that he was treading a fine Line. Such warnings could be accumulated like yellow cards whilst blatant cheating equals instant ban.

The thing is, these things are only a problem in televised games with cameras everywhere.

Personally I’d go the other way. Stop having instant replays of every incident. Yesterday, the number of times Sky had to show replays because live play missed the action while they were showing a second or third angle replay of previous action was ridiculous.

This undermining of the principle that has saved us for decades (“the ref only gets one angle”) is what has brought us VAR. Which has now made linesmen not just pointless but potentially the cause of issues, e.g. players stopping when a flag goes up only to be deemed onside by VAR and a goal standing.

Get rid of VAR.

Who were these loads of posters who said Cunningham was a bad signing, who is a proven performer at this level. or Tosin, or Holtby. Johnson was widely praised as another solid Championship pro. Downing, less so, more to us being burned in the past by older players.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Who were these loads of posters who said Cunningham was a bad signing, who is a proven performer at this level. or Tosin, or Holtby. Johnson was widely praised as another solid Championship pro. Downing, less so, more to us being burned in the past by older players.

I was critical of the signing of Downing, probably down the thirtysomething wasters we have endured in recent times.

Absolutely delighted to be proved wrong.

• Like 4

I really enjoyed that match (in a nervous way!), it was a truly gritty and workmanlike away performance against a technically good, confident team on their own patch in a bit of a bear pit atmosphere in poor conditions. We were a little lucky with some of their finishing, but overall I think we created the clearer chances, albeit less of them.

We could have been better in possession, esp 2nd half against the wind, bit that's perhaps being a little churlish. Their goals came from a proper worldie - great timing, chest control & strike, unstoppable IMV - and a very soft penalty, much softer than ours as even if he did get a tap from behind he was already diving to the ground.

In terms of individuals, the back 5 were excellent in the main, Travis & Johnson were everywhere. Downing had a quieter game, as did Samuel, Buckley grew into it and Arma was excellent. Should've had a hat trick though.

No mental weakness was shown in my opinion, quite the opposite in fact. The team's application & commitment was excellent and we still went for the win after being pegged back - not the sign of a mentally weak team. The subs helped too and did not blunt us defensively or in an attacking sense.

The team have to look at this as a point gained not 2 lost and go into this week's home double with real confidence, not disappointment. We've taken 4 points off one of the league's best teams, so outside of further injuries, poor reffing or worldies there's no reason why we can't get into that top 6. It's in our hands, so buckle up & enjoy (!!) the ride...

• Like 3

• Backroom

Just had to hide a lot of ridiculous bickering stemming largely from one inflammatory comment.

Firstly, please stop it. 

Secondly, apologies to anyone caught up in the collateral damage with posts hidden. It is what it is. 

• Like 1

I would say the only signings significantly questioned by some fans this year were Downing and Gallagher. Downing has been sensational but it's equally fair to say Gaagher has been poor.

On top of that I would say both Holtby and Johnson have made less of an impact than hoped.

The majority of criticism directed at Mowbray in the summer and January was aimed at the non signing of central defenders. However we've been really lucky with injuries/suspensions in that area so far so seem to have got away with it. Plus Tosin has been a great signing when not much was really expected of him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I would say the only signings significantly questioned by some fans this year were Downing and Gallagher. Downing has been sensational but it's equally fair to say Gaagher has been poor.

I think you've got to include Walton. Many fans have criticised Mowbray for selling Raya and loaning a downgrade. Since the turn of the year there's been a marked improvement to his game and he's cut down on the soft goals.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Amo said:

I think you've got to include Walton. Many fans have criticised Mowbray for selling Raya and loaning a downgrade. Since the turn of the year there's been a marked improvement to his game and he's cut down on the soft goals.

Do you think his upturn in form could also have something to do with a settled back 4

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I was critical of the signing of Downing, probably down the thirtysomething wasters we have endured in recent times.

Absolutely delighted to be proved wrong.

Me too. Also glad to be proved wrong. I don't recall anyone criticising the signing of Cunningham given how desperate we were to sign a decent left back.

• Like 1

Brentford carved us up again and again with some slick first touch passing and some really fast breaks made easier by some sloppy passing from Rovers. Walton was very efficient and stopped two almost certain goals plus Nyambie made a brilliant block that stopped another and if it hadn't been for some desperate and gritty defending from Travis, Lenihan, and Nyambie  in particular backed up by Walton the score could easily have been embarrassing. Armstrong is our only threat up front but I wish he would stay on side.

Just my opinion.