BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford (A) - 12:30pm KO (Sat 22nd Feb 2020)

4 minutes ago, jw_ said:

Brentford carved us up again and again with some slick first touch passing and some really fast breaks made easier by some sloppy passing from Rovers. Walton was very efficient and stopped two almost certain goals plus Nyambie made a brilliant block that stopped another and if it hadn't been for some desperate and gritty defending from Travis, Lenihan, and Nyambie  in particular backed up by Walton the score could easily have been embarrassing. Armstrong is our only threat up front but I wish he would stay on side.

Just my opinion.

on one occasion in the second half he was caught offside about a foot inside their half all he had to do was hold his run in his own half and he could not have been offside. This is where he lacks nounce. But that is why he is not playing premier league 

• Like 1

Just now, rigger said:

on one occasion in the second half he was caught offside about a foot inside their half all he had to do was hold his run in his own half and he could not have been offside. This is where he lacks nounce. But that is why he is not playing premier league 

When you're as quick as he is he shouldn't need to be pinching a yard all the time.

• Like 1

Camera angles yesterday were like one of those FA cup ties at a none league ground.

Was just reading a bit about and watching a couple of videos of their new stadium, as I was wondering if this was going to be a Bolton special.

In fact the new stadium is less than a mile away. It will home Brentford and London Irish. Is slap bang in the middle of the community with great transport links directly next to the ground and I think they also built 910 homes (I guess upwards). Capacity is 17,250 (from 12,300 at Griffin Park) which sounds modest but its a size that fits the sustainability of the club.

I am impressed.

"Creation of a new stadium campus

At the heart of this initiative is a mix of sports & leisure, education and residential facilities as part of the larger urban quarter contributing to the existing neighbourhood."

Got me thinking again about our beloved Rovers, our 31,000 2/3 empty falling into disrepair stadium, our humble owners wanting to invest but restricted by FFP (?), Mr Waggotts community vision (which I think most agree with the concept of), our historic industrial town and the future sustainability of our club.

Firstly the ground is too big and the Riverside needs to be rebuilt.

There is largely a blank canvas  around the ground.

We are very proud of Ewood Park, the history of the old ground, Jack's legacy and would not want it to be rebuilt elsewhere.

Why don't we knock the Riverside down at the end of the season and crack on with building a new one including the hotel. Stop talking about it and Venky's just say..."get it done".

The new stand should include proper 21st century disabled area & facilities, safe standing, premium seating accessed from the hotel, have solar panels (carbon neutral). This can also surely be added to the other stands.The ground capacity could go down to 28,000 as a result but think what a great facility we would have.

The train track can be extended down towards the hotel for a new Ewood Park station.

The bus lane  can also be extended to the station to create a transport hub. Here trains and buses and coaches from local communities have purpose built fast access DIRECTLY to the stadium. Solar panels / sustainability. Welcoming arrival close to the hotel Hotel with matchday popup food, bars including real ales & entertainment, 

Why don't our humble owners just say...this is our vision. Here's the money now get it done? We once had an owner with a vision.

This investment will encourage the council and local businesses to invest in the area. They had planning permission for 3G pitches which may then be realised.

What or whom is stopping this from happening ?

Meanwhile the camera angles should be only marginally better, from under the Riverside roof on the Wednesday red button.

I hate Venkys but they really can bring us all back together with a visionary community infrastructure project which a PROPER HUMBLE OWNER once proved could be done. 

• Like 6

Having not watched the game, I will defend Armstrong a bit in saying in past games it is not just him that gets caught offside. It seems to be a tactic that our strikers start in an offside position. His pace when he breaks clear makes it more obvious.

Also if our midfielders would release the ball that split second earlier maybe he would be onside more often. Then again if the midfield release quicker they wouldn't be at Rovers

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

The thing is, these things are only a problem in televised games with cameras everywhere.

Personally I’d go the other way. Stop having instant replays of every incident. Yesterday, the number of times Sky had to show replays because live play missed the action while they were showing a second or third angle replay of previous action was ridiculous.

This undermining of the principle that has saved us for decades (“the ref only gets one angle”) is what has brought us VAR. Which has now made linesmen not just pointless but potentially the cause of issues, e.g. players stopping when a flag goes up only to be deemed onside by VAR and a goal standing.

Get rid of VAR.

Your final sentence is my point. But i would use technology to punish cheats and reduce simulation.

• Like 1

Just now, Roverthechimp said:

Your final sentence is my point. But i would use technology to punish cheats and reduce simulation.

The point is they couldn’t review every incident of cheating in every game, and in fact, the only ones anyone would mention for reviews would be televised ones. Cheating is an inherent part of football. It’s the reason for a yellow card for a ‘professional foul’. Legitimised cheating.

Plus I was just having a mini-rant if my own. :D 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Why don't our humble owners just say...this is our vision. Here's the money now get it done? We once had an owner with a vision.

Good different ideas but I just don’t think they give that much of a toss to be honest. Blackburn Rovers fc to them is like an unused gym membership to the average man. Not enough money to bother cancelling but not enough interest to get anything out of it.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Camera angles yesterday were like one of those FA cup ties at a none league ground.

Was just reading a bit about and watching a couple of videos of their new stadium, as I was wondering if this was going to be a Bolton special.

In fact the new stadium is less than a mile away. It will home Brentford and London Irish. Is slap bang in the middle of the community with great transport links directly next to the ground and I think they also built 910 homes (I guess upwards). Capacity is 17,250 (from 12,300 at Griffin Park) which sounds modest but its a size that fits the sustainability of the club.

I am impressed.

"Creation of a new stadium campus

At the heart of this initiative is a mix of sports & leisure, education and residential facilities as part of the larger urban quarter contributing to the existing neighbourhood."

Got me thinking again about our beloved Rovers, our 31,000 2/3 empty falling into disrepair stadium, our humble owners wanting to invest but restricted by FFP (?), Mr Waggotts community vision (which I think most agree with the concept of), our historic industrial town and the future sustainability of our club.

Firstly the ground is too big and the Riverside needs to be rebuilt.

There is largely a blank canvas  around the ground.

We are very proud of Ewood Park, the history of the old ground, Jack's legacy and would not want it to be rebuilt elsewhere.

Why don't we knock the Riverside down at the end of the season and crack on with building a new one including the hotel. Stop talking about it and Venky's just say..."get it done".

The new stand should include proper 21st century disabled area & facilities, safe standing, premium seating accessed from the hotel, have solar panels (carbon neutral). This can also surely be added to the other stands.The ground capacity could go down to 28,000 as a result but think what a great facility we would have.

The train track can be extended down towards the hotel for a new Ewood Park station.

The bus lane  can also be extended to the station to create a transport hub. Here trains and buses and coaches from local communities have purpose built fast access DIRECTLY to the stadium. Solar panels / sustainability. Welcoming arrival close to the hotel Hotel with matchday popup food, bars including real ales & entertainment, 

This investment will encourage the council and local businesses to invest in the area. They had planning permission for 3G pitches which may then be realised.

What or whom is stopping this from happening ?

Meanwhile the camera angles should be only marginally better, from under the Riverside roof on the Wednesday red button.

I hate Venkys but they really can bring us all back together with a visionary community infrastructure project which a PROPER HUMBLE OWNER once proved could be done. 

A great idea but think about the practicalities. A railway line direct to Ewood?? A transport hub? You’re talking decades to get any of that completed.

The riverside is different but it’s hard to justify the investment when half the stadium is empty every week. I’m sure it will get done eventually as it is looking it’s age. I think reducing the capacity is a pragmatic decision. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Good different ideas but I just don’t think they give that much of a toss to be honest. Blackburn Rovers fc to them is like an unused gym membership to the average man. Not enough money to bother cancelling but not enough interest to get anything out of it.

Sorry but I think that’s quite a lazy comment. They are investing in the club. Look at the transfer fees over the last 2 years. They’re losing money every week yet still invest to keep the lights on. Look at Bolton to see what happens when owners are genuinely unbothered.

I’m not in any way trying to suggest that they’ve made up for the damage done,  and I’m sure I’ll be jumped on for making any argument in favour of Venky’s but in the last 2/3 years, I don’t think you can question their commitment on the financial side of things.

4 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

A great idea but think about the practicalities. A railway line direct to Ewood?? A transport hub? You’re talking decades to get any of that completed.

You might not know but the track is just the other side of the river. It could be done quickly with the will and the investment. 

3 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

The riverside is different but it’s hard to justify the investment when half the stadium is empty every week. I’m sure it will get done eventually as it is looking it’s age. I think reducing the capacity is a pragmatic decision. 

Not sure how or why you would reduce the capacity. Whilst Ewood is too big for us at this level the club should have plans for the Premier League and growing attendances when there. Nobody actively reduces capacity.

Millwall have just released plans to build a new 30,000 ground. They've never been in the Premier League and don't get close to filling their existing 20,000 ground but have plans to grow and progress.

Brentford don't usually sell out Griffin Park at 12,000 capacity so in some ways a 50% increase is a lot to cover.

To reduce Ewood's capacity a new Riverside would need less than the current 4,500. That would look ridiculous and would be completely out of keeping with the rest of the stadium.

For me there is more to it than just bums on seats though. We need a 21st century stadium fit for the top flight and plans to have that ready for then. 

In an era of FFP and the implications of trying to comply with that we need more strings to our bow. We aren't going to get 25000 per week turning up and there's nothing wrong with that. But like Brentford we need to generate off the pitch and non matchday income. Hotel, gym, events, flats, offices need incorporating. Nobody can say that there isn't the demand because all those things are being built nearby. 

I don't think the owners have ever seen facilities and infrastructure as areas requiring anything beyond bare minimum expense and by god it shows around Ewood these days.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Not sure how or why you would reduce the capacity. Whilst Ewood is too big for us at this level the club should have plans for the Premier League and growing attendances when there. Nobody actively reduces capacity.

Millwall have just released plans to build a new 30,000 ground. They've never been in the Premier League and don't get close to filling their existing 20,000 ground but have plans to grow and progress.

Brentford don't usually sell out Griffin Park at 12,000 capacity so in some ways a 50% increase is a lot to cover.

To reduce Ewood's capacity a new Riverside would need less than the current 4,500. That would look ridiculous and would be completely out of keeping with the rest of the stadium.

For me there is more to it than just bums on seats though. We need a 21st century stadium fit for the top flight and plans to have that ready for then. 

In an era of FFP and the implications of trying to comply with that we need more strings to our bow. We aren't going to get 25000 per week turning up and there's nothing wrong with that. But like Brentford we need to generate off the pitch and non matchday income. Hotel, gym, events, flats, offices need incorporating. Nobody can say that there isn't the demand because all those things are being built nearby. 

I don't think the owners have ever seen facilities and infrastructure as areas requiring anything beyond bare minimum expense and by god it shows around Ewood these days.

I agree. We'll be back one day and we need a ground in keeping with that status. I might not be around to see it but if you look down the lower leagues and see how many clubs have played at the top flight it stands to reason that the stars will all be in alignment one day. I was looking down what is the League 2 now ( old 4th Division ) and I counted 6 teams that I've seen play at the top level and looking through the Premier League 8 teams that have played at Rochdale in the league at some point, mostly in Div 4 !

Our Day Will Come.

• Like 1

Mixed feelings after yesterday.

Would have taken a draw beforehand and with 10 minutes to go as we were hanging on. In the end it is a tough away game gone and a point out of it. In terms of other results we have come through relatively unscathed with Fulham, Brentford, Bristol City, Forest, Cardiff and Millwall all dropping points.

Preston cheating again to win another penalty to turn their game around against Hull is disappointing but we need to make up ground this week with our home games.

The question of whether yesterday was a good point or two dropped will become apparent this week. Do the business in our home games and we will be looking good. Drop points at home and it becomes too much to allow and too much work to do down the line.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We’ve never consistently filled Ewood. We can probably count the sell-outs on one hand and even then, they include sizeable away support. I don’t think it’s contentious to suggest that reducing capacity would be advantageous. 

Brentford and Millwall are London based clubs with huge potential catchment areas. They can justify expanding their grounds based on that. 

The club needs to do more to increase non match day revenue. A hotel would be great and it sounds like the club are considering that in the long term. 

43 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Going down to 28,000 means reducing the Riverside capacity by 3,000. It only holds around 4,000 now. So that would mean a replacement would be an Accy Stanley size stand, some contrast to the Jack Walker!

Or a similar sized stand just with the best safe-standing, disabled accommodation and media facilities in football. And possibly corporate-style services.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree. We'll be back one day and we need a ground in keeping with that status. I might not be around to see it but if you look down the lower leagues and see how many clubs have played at the top flight it stands to reason that the stars will all be in alignment one day. I was looking down what is the League 2 now ( old 4th Division ) and I counted 6 teams that I've seen play at the top level and looking through the Premier League 8 teams that have played at Rochdale in the league at some point, mostly in Div 4 !

Our Day Will Come.

Hmmm. I wonder what the Nobbers fans would think about that.

Rovers, Blackpool, Wigan, Burnley, Carlisle, Bradford, Barnsley Oldham, Swindon, Notts County, Oxford, Reading, Bournemouth, Portsmouth, Hull, Bristol City, Swansea, Cardiff, Wimbledon, Charlton, among others, have all been in the top flight at least once, since PNE's last season there

.....Heart bleeds lol.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

Or a similar sized stand just with the best safe-standing, disabled accommodation and media facilities in football. And possibly corporate-style services.

Possibly, but even with said facilities that’s a big space for only a 1,000 capacity.

52 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Hmmm. I wonder what the Nobbers fans would think about that.

Rovers, Blackpool, Wigan, Burnley, Carlisle, Bradford, Barnsley Oldham, Swindon, Notts County, Oxford, Reading, Bournemouth, Portsmouth, Hull, Bristol City, Swansea, Cardiff, Wimbledon, Charlton, among others, have all been in the top flight at least once, since PNE's last season there

.....Heart bleeds lol.

It'd almost be a shorter list if you quoted the teams that haven't been in the top flight since Preston bowed out.

In my time teams that aren't on your list - West Brom, Leeds, Fulham ,Forest,Bristol City, Sheff Wed, Derby, Birmingham, QPR, Reading, Stoke, Boro, Huddersfield, Luton, Coventry, Sunderland, Ipswich,Bolton, Swindon, Northampton, Bradford, Orient,