BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford (A) - 12:30pm KO (Sat 22nd Feb 2020)

I am excited about this game. Rovers have a lot to gain with a win, and it won’t be the end of the world if we don’t. 

Maybe one or two players return, and my hats off to ol’ Tony for getting the team through a rough time, injury-wise (again, I am cautious about his future; evaluate him the end of the season, but I’m glad he wasn’t kicked to the curb earlier).

I’m thinking this is 1-1, and a hard-fought point. I love our defending of late. I think we knew scoring goals would be hard without Dacky & Holtby. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

I am excited about this game. Rovers have a lot to gain with a win, and it won’t be the end of the world if we don’t. 

Maybe one or two players return, and my hats off to ol’ Tony for getting the team through a rough time, injury-wise (again, I am cautious about his future; evaluate him the end of the season, but I’m glad he wasn’t kicked to the curb earlier).

I’m thinking this is 1-1, and a hard-fought point. I love our defending of late. I think we knew scoring goals would be hard without Dacky & Holtby. 

Totally agree. Tosin has been the difference, would love to see us buy him in the summer if we get promoted. Highly unlikely I know!

On the game I would take a dull 0-0 right now, if we win we are absolutely play off contenders, and I can't believe that is the case. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

No, it didn’t. It was significant but the performances of the lads and manager and their inability to effect the 11 games or whatever that we went without a win was what killed us.

On Saturday we fight with everything we have for 3pts. If we are beaten then we have to hope that the players and Mowbray don’t feel like it’s the turning point. That they put the game to the back of their minds, whatever the score and get to winning the 6 or 7 more games they need to meet the collective goal.

Yes, it did.

18 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Just reading there, these have a fair few injuries. I would actually say worse than us. Surprising 

Who is injured? Canos and Karelis who have been out all seaso, Forss who was out on loan anyway and Mokotjo who is decent but they have a few central midfielders of a similar level. No major losses unless ive missed anyone?

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Who is injured? Canos and Karelis who have been out all seaso, Forss who was out on loan anyway and Mokotjo who is decent but they have a few central midfielders of a similar level. No major losses unless ive missed anyone?

Jansson has been out for their last few games. Fingers crossed he doesn’t recover for Saturday. 

I certainly wouldn’t say their injury list is worse than ours though!

28 minutes ago, Neal said:

I think folk need to calm down about Samuel. Couple of decent performances, one bench cameo in a game already won and one against a side we were a class above. I'm sure he can be useful whilst injuries plague us, no doubt. 

Agree but he has to be given the chance. At least he's strong and can trap the ball!

• Like 1

Regarding Samuel, players with pace are disruptive and a bloody nuisance even if they aren't amazing, he will worry defences and is also somewhat on an unknown to most managers out there. He's done enough to keep his place and I'll be a bit miffed if he doesn't.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Whilst it isn’t a must win game a win certainly changes our season. Confidence is key at this stage of the season and more often than not teams that go into the play offs with that confidence get promoted - see Aston Villa. 

a loss and our season isn’t over, so in that case it isn’t must win. The Stoke and Swansea games are though. 

This was my point. I agree completely about confidence being a factor too. Winning on Saturday would be brilliant. A real shot in the arm and more momentum. A loss would be disappointing, the team would need picking up and be ready to fire again....

BUT winning on Saturday won’t take us up and losing on Saturday won’t end our promotion dreams. Therefore, it’s NOT a must win. More importantly it will be our ability to bounce back after disappointing results over the next 13 games which will define our play off hopes NOT our ability to beat Brentford on Saturday.

The term ‘must win’ by definition tells us that all is lost if we do not win. Which is not the case here.

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

So by your reckoning no game is a ‘must win’ unless not getting 3 points on a given day means you are mathematically unable to get in the playoffs, out of the bottom 3 etc.

He needs to stop digging. 

Then fine, but it’s a bit literal.

As an example, losing to already relegated Forest at home in 1999 didn’t mathematically put us down, but with only treble winners elect Man Utd and Newcastle away to come, it was deemed ‘must win’, we lost and we all knew we were fecked.

Like a lot of things in football, it’s an expression, a mind set.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I don't think I've seen such a visible improvement in a player for a long time as Dominic.   I may be wrong but he could be the catalyst here, if Tony has the bollocks.

Tbf to DomSam he was VERY good against Everton in the pre-season friendly at Ewood before the start of the 18/19 season.

He got another injury which set him back, but he had an insanely good game that day vs a Premier League defence and I walked away really hopeful for his season. He looks pretty similar now to how he did in that game, it's a crying shame we lost him for so long really throughout this season and last.

I like Dominic Samuel to be truthful. He has been unlucky with injuries but that's probably why he's at the level he is at. He hasn't played much football for a 25 year old and you wonder when he'll have a full season. I hope he starts on Saturday because I think he gives us an extra bit than Gallagher does out wide.

The more the week goes on the more I feel a bit anxious about Buckley starting. You look at Brentford's defence and you can imagine a young lad like him being kicked about a bit by Pontus and co. Problem is we don't have many other options. Dack bounces off players like that and that's what makes him so good whereas our younger lads, or even if Rothwell or Holtby where about, have it in them to go missing against an opposition like that.

Nervous isn't even the word about Saturday for whatever reason. I still maintain we can "afford to lose", maybe a counter phrase to a "must win", but a win and we are well in the mix after a superb couple of months. Coupled with the fact I think a few players are back in the coming weeks and it will be a sensational weekend.

• Like 1