BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Darragh Lenihan Impending Suspension - Poll

Darragh Lenihan Impending Suspension - Poll  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you go with in the even that Darragh Lenihan picks up a yellow at Brentford?

• Nyambe - Tosin - Williams - Bell
    • Nyambe - Tosin - Mulgrew - Bell
    • Bennett - Nyambe - Tosin - Bell
    • Nyambe - Tosin - Williams (or some form of back three system)

Lenihan just isn't the type of footballer who can hold back due to the risk of a caution. At the start of the second half on Saturday he committed four fouls in the first ten minutes, the last of which he was (rightly) cautioned for. He has to avoid a yellow card for four games before the amnesty kicks in so I think he will almost certainly be missing for two games. Williams is competent there but I just don't think we are defensively the same without him.

One thing I am sure of is that we cannot move Nyambe away from his position as a right back in a back 4. He is uncomfortable at centre back and aerially not very good, whilst he doesnt have the end product to be a wing back, but he is flourishing at right back which is a happy medium. 

It would probably have to be Williams although him and Adarabioyo did not impress together as they lack leadership.

• Like 2

When is the cut off for getting 10 bookings and not getting a ban? I presume that will be in March some time.

I'd go for the first option. It would be the least disruption from the norm.

Edited by Hasta

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

When is the cut off for getting 10 bookings and not getting a ban? I presume that will be in March some time.

I'd go for the first option. It would be the least disruption from the norm.

I think the amnesty kicks in after match day 37 which in effect means no yellows for four more game for Lenihan.

A tough ask.

I went for the first option but not knowing how long Williams is out brings into play other options. 

I would change as little as possible, and Mulgrew might be the best option if it ends up being Stoke & Swansea at home with Williams unfit.

But then TM took Carter to Charlton so he obviously sees something there, and there's Magloire too...

40 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

At least Adarabioyo would be able to revert back to his favoured right hand side if Williams comes in. He plays much more comfortably there.

Think I've seen quoted that he prefers CB and doesn't really like RB?

Just now, rog of the rovers said:

When does the 10 card rule reset?

Research only shows the Premier League (after 2nd Sunday in April)

With more games in the Championship and only 4 after the second Sunday, I'd guess it may be mid March?

Think somebody mentioned he has to get through the next 4 matches without a booking. 

• Like 1

Probably our biggest area where we needed to strengthen in hindsight. Take one of Nayambe, Tosin or Lenihen out and it looks an entirely different prospect in defence. Walton and Bell have improved of late. Not sure we will hit 3rd time lucky (or good management) with either Williams or Bennett defensively. 

Incidentally whilst Williams is the best of a poor set of options if he is injured we are really stuffed. Am all for settled defences but having such a small defensive pool to chose from is really poor. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Probably our biggest area where we needed to strengthen in hindsight. Take one of Nayambe, Tosin or Lenihen out and it looks an entirely different prospect in defence. Walton and Bell have improved of late. Not sure we will hit 3rd time lucky (or good management) with either Williams or Bennett defensively. 

Incidentally whilst Williams is the best of a poor set of options if he is injured we are really stuffed. Am all for settled defences but having such a small defensive pool to chose from is really poor. 

We have 4 centre halves, 5 if you include Vale. I was just thinking, who worth their salt would have come here in January to sit behind Lenihan and Tosin? 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

We have 4 centre halves, 5 if you include Vale. I was just thinking, who worth their salt would have come here in January to sit behind Lenihan and Tosin? 

Yeah but the quality of them are Williams and Mulgrew so not hard to be 3rd choice. 

Add in the fact of suspensions (hence this thread) injuries (Nayambe and Lenihen have picked up a number and that Tosin and Williams act as cover for the full back positions and there is a fair old chance that a 3rd choice centre back would get a decent amount of game time. 

Also they don't have to be an exceptional centre back just better than Williams and Mulgrew. Am sure there are a number of players who teams want of their wage bill, have fallen out with the manager, need games for fitness etc. So yeah, I think there may well have been some decent options out there. Was thinking another Downing-esque signing (the centre back) in an ideal world, not a world beater but competent at this level. Regardless of said wishful thinking I think there are enough factors regarding game time and level needed to have attracted someone.