BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Slow Build?

Just now, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, Mowbray didnt sign Lenihan, Travis or Nyambe, our other 3 saleable assets. That being said, both managers still worked to make the players better than when they joined. 

Being linked with one tenuously in the media doesnt make a player worth 18m, but you are right to imply that Armstrong and Dack would yearn massive profits on the small fees that Mowbray managed to get them for. Almost certainly more than Gestede, Cairney and Duffy, albeit the first 2 were sold the summer we went into embargo I think, so were reduced fees, and Duffy obviously was shall we say exceptional circumstances. Mowbray has spent close to 20m, something Bowyer could only dream of, and I am unconvinced that any of Brereton, Gallagher, Rothwell, Chapman, Davenport, Samuel, Hart, Bell etc would even yield a 7 figure fee, so I dont think his record in terms of adding value is actually that good in the market, and his eggs are in 2 baskets which is problematic when you consider that one has a serious injury. That being said, an additional year in his contract does protect most of Dacks value. Most of the assets have been brought through the ranks and Mowbray and his coaching staff have developed.

And I think Mowbray is a better manager than Bowyer, just to clarify. I think comparing their transfer records is difficult, Mowbray has had much more money, I think Bowyer got more out and out successes, but partially due to a lack of resources, some of the cheap squad fillers were absolutely embarrassing. Mowbray has signed quite a few for small fees that have not really necessarily worked out yet to the level we had hoped, but even so, there are no Varneys, Browns, Akpans, Petschis, Koitas, Delfouensos or Taylors (Paul or Chris) in our squad. 

My entire argument was that we don't count players who they didn't sign, obviously. Therefore I never included them. So why are you using that as the opening piece of your post? Strange. 

Indeed it is difficult to compare, but I think I have made the case well.

Ya,I agree with the rest of your post. Saturday is huge really ,isn't it?

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

So he can spot a good player,but his recruitment isn't good

Mmm mmm

Ah no to be fair,I do and have agreed with the general sentiment you have here. We all want a ruthless ,no nonsense manger who can crack the whip and deliver us to the promised land. Leeds are paying 6 million a year for that and still they aren't guaranteed of anything. 

Seriously, I don't know if you are muddling my arguement with someone else's.  I said things are similar but Bowyer's squad had more value. It clearly did...and you said Dack is worth more than them combined - which I think he is nowhere near (I forgot Josh King too btw).  That Bowyer team had a number of top-flight quality players - as mentioned, many who have spent a number of seasons there.  There was no mention whatsoever about who signed who etc.  So I'm annoyed by that side of your arguement.  Regardless, what would that list of Bowyer's players be worth now??  

Currently, I'd say a fit Dack has a chance of playing top flight. I'm not a big fan of Lenihan at all, reckless and panics when facing his own keeper - but I reckon he would interest someone. I honestly can see Nyambe interesting teams in the Prem. Possibly Armstrong at a real push.  Travis, no chance - not until he stops gifting the ball away.  They aren't the same class of player as what we had under Bowyer - but I'd say that is a damning reflection of the Championship. Some very poor quality teams in it these days.  The basic passing etc. drives me up the wall.

Screenshot_20200221-174831.png

4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Seriously, I don't know if you are muddling my arguement with someone else's.  I said things are similar but Bowyer's squad had more value. It clearly did...and you said Dack is worth more than them combined - which I think he is nowhere near (I forgot Josh King too btw).  That Bowyer team had a number of top-flight quality players - as mentioned, many who have spent a number of seasons there.  There was no mention whatsoever about who signed who etc.  So I'm annoyed by that side of your arguement.  Regardless, what would that list of Bowyer's players be worth now??  

Currently, I'd say a fit Dack has a chance of playing top flight. I'm not a big fan of Lenihan at all, reckless and panics when facing his own keeper - but I reckon he would interest someone. I honestly can see Nyambe interesting teams in the Prem. Possibly Armstrong at a real push.  Travis, no chance - not until he stops gifting the ball away.  They aren't the same class of player as what we had under Bowyer - but I'd say that is a damning reflection of the Championship. Some very poor quality teams in it these days.  The basic passing etc. drives me up the wall.

Screenshot_20200221-174831.png

Good post. I was talking about transfer fees from players signed

3 hours ago, Pedro said:

What arguement are you wittering on about? Nobody gives a shit who signed who. So, with the greatest respect how about you re-read the crap you posted, then come back to me.

Or be a man, hold up your hands and say, "Actually, I got that one wrong because I forgot about those decent players".

He's ignoring football transfer inflation again!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

He's ignoring football transfer inflation again!

Football inflation is a bullshit argument when it comes to the championship. Top players were still moving for decent money back then. The reason Dack is worth more than Cairney or any of the others being discussed isn't because of inflation,it's because he delivered consistently at League 1 and now at this level. That's why he is worth more.