BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Owd Photos o’t’ Rovers

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Someone posted this on a non-football Fb group. I won’t name them for their privacy but this isn’t my photo.

“Going down the Bolton Road...”

6821CCF3-470C-4864-A28A-16BAAD56CF42.jpeg.bf6ea9b4fe94c2f1949d5620ef0870bf.jpeg

Wondered if anyone else can add any detail of has similar photos?

Was there any indication of when it was Stuart?

I love photographs like this. There is an authenticity and honesty to them.

• Like 3

Complete lack of Rovers" scarves!

The vehicle seems pre-50's but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Trilby hats were still common in the late 50"s going in to the 60's.

My best guess is late 50's.Haircuts look late 50's to early 60's

Guess they are travelling to Ewood (or we've won!) but in which direction? Is it Blackburn to Ewood?

Exactly where is it taken? I don't recognise any landmarks. It seems another world ago.

56 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Lovely photo.

Boys in their school uniforms and men in smart coats and wearing ties and taking pride in their appearance.

No such thing as "casual" clothing then; those people would be aghast at the way folk dress today.

LOL! I've got a photo of my grand-parents on the beach at Blackpool sitting on deck chairs. My Grandad is wearing a dark, heavy suit, a waistcoat, a white shirt with a starched collar and tie and polished black shoes.

They didn't exactly chill out back then did they?

3 minutes ago, 47er said:

The vehicle seems pre-50's but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Trilby hats were still common in the late 50"s going in to the 60's.

Guess they are travelling to Ewood (or we've won!) but in which direction? Is it Blackburn to Ewood?

Exactly where is it taken? I don't recognise any landmarks. It seems another world ago.

Isn't it by the canal across from the infirmary just before the railway bridge?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

I think the fans are on Bolton Rd with the old Infirmary frontage on the right and the wall on the left bordering the LeedsLiverppol canal. The Infirmary pub in the background on the right  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Riversider28 said:

I think the fans are on Bolton Rd with the old Infirmary frontage on the right and the wall on the left bordering the LeedsLiverppol canal. The Infirmary pub in the background on the right  

It looked familiar but couldn't see it until you pointed it out. The banking behind the stone wall on the right is clearly the old Infirmary site and the pub looks as I remember it.

Must have walked that route many times, always with great anticipation of seeing a fantastic win. The smiles and grins on faces in the photo suggest that's always been the case "going down the Bolton Road".

• Like 5

OK. Maybe not pre-war but certainly pre 1950. I think Stuart could be right (for once?).

My dad wore double breasted suits and coats and always wore a trilby hat. And I wore short pants up until the age of 12. So if that photo was say 1948 I would have been 5 years old and nowhere near Ewood Park. My dad would have been 46.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Lovely photo.

Boys in their school uniforms and men in smart coats and wearing ties and taking pride in their appearance.

No such thing as "casual" clothing then; those people would be aghast at the way folk dress today.

I used to go to Rovers in a collar tie and a suit. What else would  you wear ? Casual clothing was for working in then. I got my first pair of training shoes in 1966. We'd been playing one night and I kept them on to go to the pub for an after match drink. When I walked into the pub it was like  I was Spencer Tracy in " Bad Day At Black Rock ". A stranger in town ! It was like I had two heads ! Everybody stared at the trainers.

The past was a different place.

I've walked up that bit of road with a spring in my step on many,many occasions,.

• Like 2