BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Owd Photos o’t’ Rovers

8 hours ago, darrenrover said:

A day almost 31 years ago: How was that a penalty? How was the match not stopped or even abandoned towards the end? George Courtney, Ian Wright and Dave Clarke 5; bastards all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ2bOGqh3tc

I was at Selhurst Park and the robbery still hurts.

Simply put Courtney was a bent Cunt of the lowest order. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

By that was the longest ever journey home ?

I was based in Haywards Heath at the time and got a ticket of a work colleague, a Palace fan. Sat amongst Palace fans on right hand side of the pitch near the end where Windy blazed one over. My trip back south on a train full of celebrating Palace fans was horrific. How I got back to HH in one piece amazes me still. A terrible time made so much worse by that crook Courtney.

A framed photo found in the loft of the 1969-70 squad. It was actually the inside spread of the Football League Review that, for some time, was included with your match day programme. Three years after I started going to Ewood. I love everything about this era. The uncluttered, superb kit, simple green keeper’s jersey, white match ball, black boots with dubbin and the ground. Still some good players on show but relegation was around the corner.

F820C5C5-45A2-4B9A-9F0F-6CFD54645792.jpeg

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

A framed photo found in the loft of the 1969-70 squad. It was actually the inside spread of the Football League Review that, for some time, was included with your match day programme. Three years after I started going to Ewood. I love everything about this era. The uncluttered, superb kit, simple green keeper’s jersey, white match ball, black boots with dubbin and the ground. Still some good players on show but relegation was around the corner.

F820C5C5-45A2-4B9A-9F0F-6CFD54645792.jpeg

That's a brilliant kit. At least half a dozen of that lot would walk into the current team - Newton Wilson, Hunter, Knighton, Rogers, Metcalfe. The Don, Dick Mulvaney, and John Connelly won't be far off.

2  England internationals ( 1 a current regular ). 1 Scottish international, 1 Northern Ireland International ( a current regular ), 1 Eire international ( again a current regular ) plus a scattering of U-23 caps. Somebody like Jimmy Hill or Malcolm Allison  would have got that lot promoted.

It's funny how one of the least likely players in Laurie Calloway went on to have a very long and successful playing and coaching career in the USA.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Gav said:

Great bit of footage from the 1979 promotion campaign under Howard Kendall:

Chesterfield away

Well found Gav. If I remember correctly the original fixture was called off due to the weather conditions, only a couple of hours before kick off. We were in a transit, inching over Snake Pass in the snow. We later found Out that the game was off, diverted to Rotherham because they were at home, only to have a puncture, so we missed that game as well. One of them days ?

• Like 2

Take time making the case for cooler, edgier marketing and you get threads with titles like this bumped up to page 1. ? Why don't you just draw a picture of someone with a flat cap to go with it?

Edited by Vinjay

10 minutes ago, Vinjay said:

Take time making the case for cooler, edgier marketing and you get threads with titles like this bumped up to page 1. ? Why don't you just draw a picture of someone with a flat cap to go with it?

Maybe because they are more interesting 

23 minutes ago, Vinjay said:

You always struggle to join the dots Vinners.

It is the fact Rovers have such a great heritage that we are ‘marketable’ in the first place.

23 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

You always struggle to join the dots Vinners.

It is the fact Rovers have such a great heritage that we are ‘marketable’ in the first place.

Not to enough people or the right demographics. Especially with FUP. That's why you would need to rebuild the fanbase and as I've said it could apply to many Championship clubs. Maybe you're right about "joining the dots" because my ideas are somewhat haphazard (partly because there's so many of them) but I can picture my vision even if it's not so easy to put into context. Wimbledon was mentioned but imagine "crazy gang x 100" and you might start getting anywhere near it.

Edited by Vinjay

17 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Well found Gav. If I remember correctly the original fixture was called off due to the weather conditions, only a couple of hours before kick off. We were in a transit, inching over Snake Pass in the snow. We later found Out that the game was off, diverted to Rotherham because they were at home, only to have a puncture, so we missed that game as well. One of them days ?

Decent away following too....as usual

• Like 1

• Backroom
On 13/04/2020 at 17:17, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's a brilliant kit. At least half a dozen of that lot would walk into the current team - Newton Wilson, Hunter, Knighton, Rogers, Metcalfe. The Don, Dick Mulvaney, and John Connelly won't be far off.

2  England internationals ( 1 a current regular ). 1 Scottish international, 1 Northern Ireland International ( a current regular ), 1 Eire international ( again a current regular ) plus a scattering of U-23 caps. Somebody like Jimmy Hill or Malcolm Allison  would have got that lot promoted.

It's funny how one of the least likely players in Laurie Calloway went on to have a very long and successful playing and coaching career in the USA.

I often wonder this, why do top stars rarely go into further footy careers?

My suspicion is that top stars have achieved what they wanted, whereas lesser players perhaps still have goals that they need to achieve albeit vicariously through coaching and management?

• Like 1

Just now, Mike E said:

I often wonder this, why do top stars rarely go into further footy careers?

My suspicion is that top stars have achieved what they wanted, whereas lesser players perhaps still have goals that they need to achieve albeit vicariously through coaching and management?

The top stars have probably made enough money , so can’t be arsed 

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
15 hours ago, Vinjay said:

Almost like you could have not opened this thread and cracked on with something you find more interesting....

• Backroom
5 hours ago, rigger said:

The top stars have probably made enough money , so can’t be arsed 

Even pre-massive money though, it seemed a relatively rare thing for a top star to go into coaching.

A fair few elite players do go into coaching, no?

Think of the Italia 90 team - Shilton (had a go), Pearce, Butcher, Waddle (ha!), Robson, Beardsley.

Euro 96 - Campbell, Adams, Southgate, Pearce,  Neville, Ince, Shearer, 

A load of the ‘66 team had a go. Keegan, Hoddle.

Top players in English football - Blanchflower, Dalglish, Toshack, Souness, Speed, Keane, Zola, Klinsmann, Bergkamp, Henry, 

Even now with all the money in the world you have the likes of Giggs, Lampard, Gerrard, Zidane, Kompany, Terry, Rooney.

Plus some of the all time greats - Cruyff, Gullit, Rilkard, Van Basten, Maradona, Beckenbauer, Matthäus, Puskás, Platini, Di Stefano, Zico, Hagi Etc.

All with varying degrees of success. As someone who played for Hoddle said, ‘he could never understand that his players couldn’t do what he could’, but they all had a go.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1