BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Riverside Stand Renovation Thread

The problem is, the Loons had a vision created by charlatans, that ultimately proved to be disastrous. They turned the fans against them. and to a large extent that pervades to this day. We are a mid-table Championship team, with crowds way below those Jack created by making us a PL team. Ewood's three sides were excellent for the time, and just need some TLC now. 

The dilemma of the WS stand is it is to all intents and purposes irrelevant, as it could be condemned tomorrow, and it wouldn't cause a problem. What of Blackburn itself? We have a huge Asian population who don't have any affinity to the club, and a dwindling fan base alienated by stay away owners, who again have no affinity to the club. I have no faith in Waggott, as he seems to have little idea as to how to get fans like me back there. 

Why, therefore would there be any need to upgrade the stadium?

I'm at a total loss as to why they keep us ticking over, losing millions in the process. What incentive is there to invest in Ewood, as an area and as a club? Unless the goal is the PL, which, as we all know, and they don't seem to care, is the only way they will get their money back.

• Like 3

Just now, Herbie6590 said:

I might be imagining it (!) but I seem to recall on the stadium tour being told  that the ground was originally meant to be like that (see Telegraph clipping above) but pitch maintenance issues were cited as a reason not to do it. Of course nowadays, clubs with enclosed stands have lighting rigs to counteract the permanent shadows that occur in winter so less of an issue.

Now Ewood has been built as 4 discrete stands, I think filling in the corners wouldn’t look right given the designs used on the 3 modern stands.

Absolutely right. I’m no horticulturist, but I believe it had something to do with the the pitch getting too much/not enough water/light.

The original plans for the bowl style stadium gave a lesser capacity than we have now. 25kish. And no executive boxes breaking up the tiers.

The mock up of the planned Riverside redevelopment, which was shelved after the 1999 relegation, is still in the boardroom... or at least it was when I used to run ground tours.

• Like 1

Just now, Proudtobeblue&white said:

The problem is, the Loons had a vision created by charlatans, that ultimately proved to be disastrous. They turned the fans against them. and to a large extent that pervades to this day. We are a mid-table Championship team, with crowds way below those Jack created by making us a PL team. Ewood's three sides were excellent for the time, and just need some TLC now. 

The dilemma of the WS stand is it is to all intents and purposes irrelevant, as it could be condemned tomorrow, and it wouldn't cause a problem. What of Blackburn itself? We have a huge Asian population who don't have any affinity to the club, and a dwindling fan base alienated by stay away owners, who again have no affinity to the club. I have no faith in Waggott, as he seems to have little idea as to how to get fans like me back there. 

Why, therefore would there be any need to upgrade the stadium?

I'm at a total loss as to why they keep us ticking over, losing millions in the process. What incentive is there to invest in Ewood, as an area and as a club? Unless the goal is the PL, which, as we all know, and they don't seem to care, is the only way they will get their money back.

which is a question iv`e always been intrigued,why buy a product then set about ruining it,venkys are supposed to be astute business people with a considerable fortune,why would you buy something then in all sense devalue the asset and value,i don`t buy into the opinion they were badly advised either,they must have done some research, they must have some long term strategy of making a considerable profit in some way,which is why i`ll never trust or hold them in any regard,they will f**k us up completely in the end

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Absolutely right. I’m no horticulturist, but I believe it had something to do with the the pitch getting too much/not enough water/light.

The original plans for the bowl style stadium gave a lesser capacity than we have now. 25kish. And no executive boxes breaking up the tiers.

The mock up of the planned Riverside redevelopment, which was shelved after the 1999 relegation, is still in the boardroom... or at least it was when I used to run ground tours.

See my photo in the thread, taken on a stadium tour. I seem to remember the architects based the stands on those of Ibrox, which has its corners enclosed. Watch Richard Hammond's Big, on Sky, about the construction of the new Spurs stadium, which has to be the best in Europe, if not beyond. Stadia have moved on immeasurably since our ground was redeveloped. Why do the Issa brothers not support Rovers?? Instead of building a hotel at Whitebirk, buy the club!

Edited by Proudtobeblue&white
  • Like 1

I don't know why the emergency vehicle access would apply to Ewood and not every other ground in the country ?

It might have been in their thinking when it was built but i don't think it's an official requirement to that degree of basically a road at the front of the stand. That doesn't help the atmosphere seats being so far away from the pitch and as has been well documented it looks awful from the 85th min of every home game !

Safe standing should be in the Blackburn End lower. ST's £200 adults, £100 concessions. A 5,000 wall of sound, the German model. Open the BE upper to the family again. Brentford allow standing. If we aren't going up, it's allowed. No imagination. The WBA type stand, designated disabled areas, hotel, instead of the Riverside. Brewery. Surely Thwaites could be tempted? The options are there, but we have totally shit owners!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Safe standing should be in the Blackburn End lower. ST's £200 adults, £100 concessions. A 5,000 wall of sound, the German model. Open the BE upper to the family again. Brentford allow standing. If we aren't going up, it's allowed. No imagination. The WBA type stand, designated disabled areas, hotel, instead of the Riverside. Brewery. Surely Thwaites could be tempted? The options are there, but we have totally shit owners!

What about elderly people who sit in the Blackburn End or families that sit in Blackburn Rovers? 

I'm sit in the Blackburn End and I wouldn't want to stand every game. 

Plus why move families from the Jack Walker lower when all the facilities are now there for? 

Surely a standing area would be better in the Riverside as others have suggested. 

The club need to consult all fans before any potential stand move? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

What about elderly people who sit in the Blackburn End or families that sit in Blackburn Rovers? 

Plus why move families from the Jack Walker lower when all the facilities are now there for? 

Surely a standing area would be better in the Riverside as others have suggested. 

I sat with my son for years in the BE upper before being dumped. The club didn't consult me? DE, same. It's a vision for a more exciting game experience? It's my musings, it's a MB. The home end should be a wall of noise. See my  comments about Spurs stadium who have built a 17,500 "home end", the envy of many, the Kop........need I say more?

Edited by Proudtobeblue&white
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Loved our concrete bunker! Save for those that thought toilets were irrelevant!

I remember a big guy with long hair regularly used to just turn around and whizz up the wall at the back ?

Wonder if he's a poster on here !

All I would ask is that any new stand is of the same build quality of the other stands. The stadium is still one of the classiest grounds in the country and I wouldn’t want to see something that stands out like a sore thumb. If it’s going to get built, do it properly. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Loved our concrete bunker! Save for those that thought toilets were irrelevant!

lol,was either that or brave the outside toilet block,was great though,i remember the cup tie against liverpool(the one where atkins scored the own goal)when garner crashed in that volley i started at the top of the blackburn end and finished halfway down the terrace,pinned to a crush barrier!!,great days

• Like 1

It's quite ridiculous that safe standing isn't commonplace now in the UK. The riverside would be perfect for it and I dare say the novelty factor would add some numbers on the crowds too. My dad would be pissed off like as he's had the same seat for years in there but he can go in the JW the old crow.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

There are other places to sit then aren’t there .  Me me me 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

I sat with my son for years in the BE upper before being dumped. The club didn't consult me? DE, same. It's a vision for a more exciting game experience? It's my musings, it's a MB. The home end should be a wall of noise. See my  comments about Spurs stadium who have built a 17,500 "home end", the envy of many, the Kop........need I say more?

But I would you need to get fans opinions before you do. Online survey, postal survey for season tickets holders and match day buyers. 

I wouldn't want to lose my seat in Blackburn End after having for so many years. Why would I? Over 20 years as season ticket holder. 

There is some Elderly people are sit in front. You couldn't expect them to stand every game. 

How many people would want a standing area? What numbers are we talking? What the view of the club on safe standing area? Any talk of this at Supporter consultation meetings or fans forum meetings? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

But I would you need to get fans opinions before you do. Online survey, postal survey for season tickets holders and match day buyers. 

I wouldn't want to lose my seat in Blackburn End after having for so many years. Why would it? There is some Elderly people are sit in front. You couldn't expect them to stand every game. 

Its good debate to have tho. 

No they could just sit somewhere else, it’s not life or death . what is being proposed is for the good of the club . Survey whoever you want you will get a load of opinions , it’s totally pointless 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

It's quite ridiculous that safe standing isn't commonplace now in the UK. The riverside would be perfect for it and I dare say the novelty factor would add some numbers on the crowds too. My dad would be pissed off like as he's had the same seat for years in there but he can go in the JW the old crow.

but before he had that seat he stood on the terrace. Times change...off to the JW upper for him.

5 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

but before he had that seat he stood on the terrace. Times change...off to the JW upper for him.

Yep bburn end or the bburn end enclosure we used to frequent. Yet somehow ended up with a garage full of old wood seats from the Nuttall street till my mum kicked off and they ended up going the tip ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Yep bburn end or the bburn end enclosure we used to frequent. Yet somehow ended up with a garage full of old wood seats from the Nuttall street till my mum kicked off and they ended up going the tip ?

Bloody hell! Feel for you there pal... I’d kill for one of those seats!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I actually agree regarding consulting fans first. But when I and others complained when we was moved from the Darwen End without consultation, you was very dismissive and defended the club on making such a decision. You can't be inconsistent on your opinion dependant on whether the decision affects you directly.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I actually agree regarding consulting fans first. But when I and others complained when we was moved from the Darwen End without consultation, you was very dismissive and defended the club on making such a decision. You can't be inconsistent on your opinion dependant on whether the decision affects you directly.

I think that’s his m.o