BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Riverside Stand Renovation Thread

3 hours ago, TheRovers1994 said:

3g ? What outside ? Wasnt we supposed to be sticking a 3g pitch on the Darwen end car park? As part of the indoor centre developments What happened to that ?

Outside, yes.  There isnt enough 3/4g pitches around that are reaonably priced. 

On 10/07/2020 at 09:29, Mattyblue said:

Good thread on this already.

Like I said on it, a replica of West Brom’s West Stand would be ideal...

I've been told from friend - who was told from within (a good 6-12 months ago mind you) that this was/is the plan exactly - that WBA stand with disability/VIP/media and hotel etc.

Other plans mooted (apparently) were to turn the Darwen End into more of the showpiece side of Ewood (shop, bar, better decor). Mainly as you can see it from the road... also renovating and selling off the old primary school/carpark to include a Nandos/Subway/Petrol Station etc.

Its not like we need the excess parking spaces. Takes longer to get out of Ewood nowadays with 11,000 fans then it did when we were getting 24,000-27,000 10 years ago.

Sounds like something Waggot has been drawing up to keep himself busy, Chances of it actually getting signed off ?

As for traffic i remember my mates dad making us leave 5 mins early every game when gates were 5k.  Still queued all the way down LBR !

Just now, Mattyblue said:

You can tell his low the ‘real’ crowd is for some midweek games these days. I can leave after the whistle, saunter up Livesey Branch to my car and not queue at all.

I have to go in the Brown Cow for a queue.

• Like 4

The land around Ewood could be put to much better use although if we did get promoted those car parks could be both a blessing and money spinner. Building on it all could cause problems down the line.

The 4g facility that the Community Trust went on about doesn't seem to have gone anywhere.

I'm sure Euro garages would be keen if we were preparing to sell one of the car parks for development. 

Getting Venkys to approve season ticket prices and budgets is hard enough. Getting them to approve major facility improvements? Not going to happen. Will sit in someone's pigeon hole for 12 months until it gets forgotten about.

On 10/07/2020 at 17:37, rigger said:

Too close to the river, for a stand that size 

You could get close to a stand that size, even with the river (looking at google earth). The front of the stand would obviously be much closer to the pitch than the current stand, just like on the opposite side. There may be limited room behind the stand for the turnstiles, but you could potentially have these underneath the stand like at Old Trafford. Old Trafford also goes very close to a river in one corner.

Though for the record I don't know why we would increase the stadium capacity when we don't get near filling it currently.

The only thing that makes any sense there is a smaller capacity stand closer to the pitch with better facilities and some things incorporated that could help income.

Micro brewery, museum, match day cafe, fast food outlet, hotel or b&b facilities, hell even a car showroom !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

The only thing that makes any sense there is a smaller capacity stand closer to the pitch with better facilities and some things incorporated that could help income.

Micro brewery, museum, match day cafe, fast food outlet, hotel or b&b facilities, hell even a car showroom !

Now there's an idea.

Venky's Want Sleeping Pods For Ewood Park

• Like 1

Why not pods lol

A Blackburn Rovers B&B, the micro brewery making its own ale to sell and bakery in there making grub. Get a couple of wind turbines at each end to generate some energy. 

Call it the sustainables stand, why not try something pioneering instead of just creating space to farm out to some bland corporate overpriced franchise or other. 

I'd like to see a reduced capacity with the stand shunted towards the pitch making the corners filled in and preferably the height of the stand somehow fitting with the BB and Darwen ends.

Mainly to help the atmosphere of the place. Crowd noise seems to get lost due to the current Riverside.

If we could shut off the upper tiers behind the goals and so reducing the capacity to below 25k then 12k crowds start to feel a bit less sparse!

Maybe even flag off the back third of the jw upper, making it feel fuller.

• 1 year later...

Nostalgic but I like the Riverside Stand.  I'd hate to see Ewood turn into a soulless bowl design.

Think its a distinctive stadium and I like the pylon floodlights.

Hard to believe the new stadium is almost 30 years old!  Like, seriously, where did the time go!

Next thing you know it they will be replacing the ''new'' stands and calling them the ''old Walker stands''

• Like 2