BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Riverside Stand Renovation Thread

48 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Yep bburn end or the bburn end enclosure we used to frequent. Yet somehow ended up with a garage full of old wood seats from the Nuttall street till my mum kicked off and they ended up going the tip ?

My dad ended up with his nuttall st seat and the few either side , they are now installed on the bottom patio next to his pond . These were only installed after my mum passed away 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I actually agree regarding consulting fans first. But when I and others complained when we was moved from the Darwen End without consultation, you was very dismissive and defended the club on making such a decision. You can't be inconsistent on your opinion dependant on whether the decision affects you directly.

Some of you are talking about moving over 3 to 3.5k(maybe more) season ticket holders for a safe standing area behind the Blackburn Rovers where you might only get 1k of fans. It's fine saying you can sit somewhere else but if you have always had season ticket in Blackburn end and have good seats and view why should people have to get it up? I've had the same seats for 12 years and season ticket holder for over 20 years as well. 

You like the Darwen end as it was unrestricted seats. Sit where you want. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Some of you are talking about moving over 3 to 3.5k(maybe more) season ticket holders for a safe standing area behind the Blackburn Rovers where you might only get 1k of fans. It's fine saying you can sit somewhere else but if you have always had season ticket in Blackburn end and have good seats and view why should people have to get it up? I've had the same seats for 12 years. You like the Darwen end as it was unrestricted seats. Sit where you want. 

I would personally love a safe standing Blackburn End lower but can accept that not everyone will agree. My point was that when other people had been forced to move and had been inconvenienced without consultation, because you wasnt affected, you supported the decision, showing no empathy at all. I and others had been in the Darwen End for a few years and didnt want to move. When the potential change would affect you, suddenly its a different story.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Some of you are talking about moving over 3 to 3.5k(maybe more) season ticket holders for a safe standing area behind the Blackburn Rovers where you might only get 1k of fans. It's fine saying you can sit somewhere else but if you have always had season ticket in Blackburn end and have good seats and view why should people have to get it up? I've had the same seats for 12 years and season ticket holder for over 20 years as well. 

Cos shit happens and I care about the club not just me 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sadly, you are in the dark {Loons} ages. Think big, the whole club is in crisis under them!

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I would personally love a safe standing Blackburn End lower but can accept that not everyone will agree. My point was that when other people had been forced to move and had been inconvenienced without consultation, because you wasnt affected, you supported the decision, showing no empathy at all. I and others had been in the Darwen End for a few years and didnt want to move. When the potential change would affect you, suddenly its a different story.

Why did the club move you? 

Would affect around a third of season tickets holders not just me. Like affect Elderly people or people with families as examples. I used that before. 

4 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Sadly, you are in the dark {Loons} ages. Think big, the whole club is in crisis under them!

Dark ages? So getting a safe standing area is going to solve everything then? 

• If safe standing is going anywhere, personally I think it would be wasted on the long side of the pitch. Standing should be put into the home END in my opinion, to help facilitate a better atmosphere behind the home goal. 
  • Agree that fans should be consulted but as @roversfan99 points out, they didn't really care too much about consultation when home fans where removed from the DE.
  • Can't understand the sentiment that we should do absolutely nothing with it at all simply because we have a large Asian community and the crowds won't grow much whilst we're outside of the PL... That's odd. Surely modernising doesn't have to mean expanding, and also surely the club has as good a chance as most at a promotion push.
  • I wouldn't say that the "whole club is in crisis"... kind of falls under the "End Is Nigh" column for me comments like that, ringing a bell and holding a sign... We're pushing for Top 6 in the Championship, have a young squad with some decent footballers who are worth a decent amount, a Category One academy, a 30,000 seater stadium, a nice big club shop.... "crisis" - this club isn't in crisis. Look at Bolton, Coventry, Bury.

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Would affect around a third of season tickets holders not just me. Like affect Elderly people or people with families as examples. I used that before. 

I think that any idea to try to increase footfall at the Rovers should be tried. You mention a third off season ticket holders would be effected. by this I assume you mean almost everyone in the Blackburn end. I think you would find that season ticket holders who would object to the safe standing area and any disruption that would entail would be a very small number. 

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It would also affect me again being now in the Blackburn End but my point was about your inconsistent attitude and mindset dependant on whether the matter at hand would affect you directly individually and it seems to have been misunderstood by yourself so I will leave this conversation here.

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Or you make the DE lower safe standing, home/away split.

I really like that idea. 

I think times have changed and for every fan who wants safe standing another like the chadster wouldn’t. The last thing we want to do is risk losing more long serving fans.

i don’t like the idea of safe standing in the riverside for the same reason plus it doesn’t create that suck the ball in the net feel.

now mattys idea above wouldn’t disgruntle or inconvience anyone. It would solve the problem of the empty vs away fans behind the goal. It would create and improve the atmosphere by a mile, having banter with the away fans. It creates a novelty factor for the away fans as well as the possibility of offering reduced price tickets to potentially up the gate numbers and give more people the opportunity to afford to go I.e low income, 18-25s. Get the walk ons up and the young people in to create an atmosphere . 

Maybe extreme for little old rovers but fan culture is a big thing now. Get tiffos etc and create a feel good unity that has been missing for so long the way other European clubs do

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Maybe extreme for little old rovers but fan culture is a big thing now. Get tiffos etc and create a feel good unity that has been missing for so long the way other European clubs do

Issue is, whilst the club pretend to be all about the 18-25 market, deep down they want nothing to do with us. 

The club don't like this new "fan culture", most especially the stewarding and safety team at Ewood, they're rather uptight when they want to be.
I really can't see Rovers creating that kind of atmosphere for the young'ns.

They should, it would get loads through the door if we had something epic - thinking Crystal Palace and their "crazy corner" which sells out in hours when ST's go on sale. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gj-JqJCsBU)

In fact, this link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOZ0TYwv0Eg) in the bottom left corner of the home end shows the "corner" in its best form.

Edited by JoeH

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It would also affect me again being now in the Blackburn End but my point was about your inconsistent attitude and mindset dependant on whether the matter at hand would affect you directly individually and it seems to have been misunderstood by yourself so I will leave this conversation here.

You like repeating yourself. 

Why did Rovers closed the Darwen end to home fans? 

Depends if we, as a club, embrace safe standing or not. 

It makes sense to me, as it allows it for both home and away fans, doesn’t impact any existing season ticket holders and can be used as the basis for a Singing Section which will only help the atmosphere in the ground.

Edited by Mattyblue

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can you see Rovers getting rid off the seats in Darwen End Matty? 

I'll bet now that immediately upon safe standing being legalised in the top 2 divisions the majority of clubs will take steps to install it at their grounds.

Some have already started to do so and others have said that they will.

The reason is that there is a large number of people who prefer it and an acceptance that it improves atmosphere.

Do nothing Rovers will be one of the last to get around to it.

• Like 1

Upon thinking about it at length, I think if I were to have any say, the following are some of the key things I think would be crucial to the new stands success:

• Raise the whole stand by about 10ft, giving Row 1 (and the disabled supporters platform) a better view of the game from above pitch level.
  • Reduce overall rows in the stand to 18 and removal of the red/blue colour scheme to bring stand into equilibrium with the other darker blue seated stands.
  • Bring the whole stand around 5ft closer to the pitch, and allowing for a less steep incline for seating.
  • Build a media platform with several camera points, access for pundits and install a new Wi-Fi system
  • Remove the walk way at the front of the stand and have entrance and exit via the wings onto ramps
  • Implement LED floodlights to the roof of the stand, aiming for the removal of the old floodlights
  • Remove the supporting pillars to improve the overall quality of fans view of the game.
  • A stretch of LED Advertising Boards at the top of the stand, which can also have a section for the scoreboard. The current scoreboard in the Darwen End is dilapidated and still running on Windows XP/breaks all the time.
  • Remodel of the current concourse at the back of the stand, new TV's and toilet facilities moved to this section.
  • Removal of the food and drinks kiosks at the sides of the stand, all amenities including toilets now at the back of the stand. Disabled supporters will have access to lower level Disabled Toilet Facilities.
  • Windows at the back of the stand underneath where the concourse is, for nice views of the River and the big hill at half time, brings a nice amount of natural light into this area too.
  • Increase overall height of the roof by around 15ft, bringing the stand closer in height to it's neighbouring DE and JW stands.
  • Reduce overall capacity of the stand to around 3,000 - once Viewing Platform, Media Platform, LED board, raising of Level 1 and new concourse is taken into account.
  • Expansion capacity left available to fill in corners in the future, or raise height of roof for more seating rows above.

949129149_TheRiversideStandRenovationIdea1.thumb.png.a609072d2fae885f573f05e8e9bf4847.png

*Seats = not to scale
*All in yellow = stairs/walkways

This is just an idea, but if anyone has any ideas of their own they'd like to see mocked up in a similar way, hit me over a PM and I can try to draw something up for you :) .

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Issue is, whilst the club pretend to be all about the 18-25 market, deep down they want nothing to do with us. 

The club don't like this new "fan culture", most especially the stewarding and safety team at Ewood, they're rather uptight when they want to be.
I really can't see Rovers creating that kind of atmosphere for the young'ns.

They should, it would get loads through the door if we had something epic - thinking Crystal Palace and their "crazy corner" which sells out in hours when ST's go on sale. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gj-JqJCsBU)

In fact, this link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOZ0TYwv0Eg) in the bottom left corner of the home end shows the "corner" in its best form.

Hence the real reason they wanted the DE shut, games moved to early kick off v Preston etc.

Absolute set of dinosaurs ! The players want atmosphere the jobsworths want everybody to sit down a be quiet, long been the case though.

A single tier enclosed at the corners with a hotel / club shop / bars at the back of it would be great. Then knock down the existing club shop to make room for more public realm space.

None of this will happen. That stand will eventually be shut down and left with scaffolding around it with this lot. It will just be further embarrassment for us and another sign of their neglect. Don't even begin to think of infastructure spending underneath this lot..they're tighter than a ducks arse. If they won't invest in a proper board why the feck would they build us a new stand / commercial venues? Madam was meant to give to the town of Blackburn when she took over but she's given absolutely fuck all to the ground or surrounding area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Mani tells us it’s only FFP stopping them from heavily investing in players, indeed ‘they are desperate to’.. no FFP for infrastructure.

So...

They don’t half give that impression. If you’re desperate to spend money to improve the club then there’s a perfect opportunity to. 

In fact it would pretty much be the perfect PR stunt for them. It needs doing and we need to believe they’re here to better us and not just use us as a loss making enterprise. They definitely have a reason for owning us but the betterment of this club isn’t one of them!!

• Like 2

The problem with safe standing is that folk can’t be trusted. There will - I guarantee - be idiots who stand three or even four in a bay for two. It already happens at away games despite there being seats. You know who you are.

Shame because they ruin it for everyone else.

• Like 1

They won't even pay for a stadium clean, i'm sure that wouldn't bankrupt the club. However they were happy to waste money on moving the tv gantry for their own purpose.

It might not be popular but if i was them and i wanted to make my presence felt i'd have a stand built and have one of my miriad of companies sponsor it. Get the advertising exposure from it and have facilities in it that would help bring in revenue. A nice way to get legit money into the club on two counts.

But i'd be serious about it not just playing at it.

• Like 2