Jump to content
JoeH

The Riverside Stand Renovation Thread

Recommended Posts

On 23/02/2020 at 17:46, Herbie6590 said:

Crikey, there’s a lot going on here...! Let’s break it down...

1. The Ground is owned by the club which is owned by Venky’s London. It’s therefore theirs to do with as they wish, except...
2. The ACV is a separate instrument aimed at protecting the site & was taken out by Rovers Trust. All the ACV does is buy some time to raise some money in reality.
3. There are threads on here castigating Venky’s for not selling the ground to raise money for a promotion push so whatever they do, they’re on a hiding to nothing. Given the lack of trust between owners and fans, whatever they do is seen as nefarious by at least some fans. 
4. I struggle to believe the land & buildings around Ewood are worth a great deal to be honest (compared to the location of other stadia around the country). Venky’s are only ever going to get their money back by getting us in the PL. Selling all the club’s assets will barely make a dent into what they’ve had to put in to keep us going. Makes no sense so to do.

The really interesting point is that the club needs to raise turnover (income) & investing it facilities will help to achieve that. Waggott says the owners are willing to invest...so why not redevelop it with income-generating facilities ? 

 

In peace as ever ..

In terms of value, the land & buildings owned by Venkys, around and including the Stadium is in exactly the same position as that at Turf Moor. Unless,it's buyer wishes to use the existing buildings as a stadium for professional football, it's all but worthless ! By the time a developer has demolished and levelled the site, you're only left with a brownfield site, which with all respect, is not in the best of areas. There's no profit, and what's more, which developer needs the hassle of being the one's who demolished over a Century of memories ?

I suspect any redevelopment will wait until a) EPL football and b) a ruling on safe-standing ... 

Some of you will be aware that the two corners at Turf Moor at the old Bee-hole end, have been redeveloped for supporters who live with disabilities & their families/carers. We delayed this pending a the release of new requirements The new facilities include more wheelchair spaces over 3 levels, with fixed seating for families to sit together, a " Changing places " facility and a sensory room. I suspect any further re-development, ( Cricket - Field stand ), will be awaiting the go-head for safe standing ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

 

Some of you will be aware that the two corners at Turf Moor at the old Bee-hole end, have been redeveloped for supporters who live with disabilities & their families/carers. We delayed this pending a the release of new requirements The new facilities include more wheelchair spaces over 3 levels, with fixed seating for families to sit together, a " Changing places " facility and a sensory room. I suspect any further re-development, ( Cricket - Field stand ), will be awaiting the go-head for safe standing ... 

Can't see much happening to the Cricket Field end there unless it has to. Capacity wise there isn't the demand for extra, and even if there was the options are very limited with the footprint available. The only way that changes is by buying the cricket pitch and building back but again is all that hassle worth it for a couple of thousand extra? Very limited as to options with the space available. With the size of the existing concourse I can't see how that can realistically change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

. I suspect any further re-development, ( Cricket - Field stand ), will be awaiting the go-head for safe standing ... 

I take it the expansion of  t' turd by terracing  Pendle Hill idea that would be needed once you reached the Premier League is on hold? :)

Edited by perthblue02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, tomphil said:

They won't even pay for a stadium clean, i'm sure that wouldn't bankrupt the club. 

Exactly.I think a new stand is way down on their VERY short list of Ewood Priorities.

They would only act if the back of the stand floated off down the River!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Exactly.I think a new stand is way down on their VERY short list of Ewood Priorities.

They would only act if the back of the stand floated off down the River!

Has been mentioned by Waggott on a few occasions though, so must have at least been discussed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

In peace as ever ..

In terms of value, the land & buildings owned by Venkys, around and including the Stadium is in exactly the same position as that at Turf Moor. Unless,it's buyer wishes to use the existing buildings as a stadium for professional football, it's all but worthless ! By the time a developer has demolished and levelled the site, you're only left with a brownfield site, which with all respect, is not in the best of areas. There's no profit, and what's more, which developer needs the hassle of being the one's who demolished over a Century of memories ?

I suspect any redevelopment will wait until a) EPL football and b) a ruling on safe-standing ... 

Some of you will be aware that the two corners at Turf Moor at the old Bee-hole end, have been redeveloped for supporters who live with disabilities & their families/carers. We delayed this pending a the release of new requirements The new facilities include more wheelchair spaces over 3 levels, with fixed seating for families to sit together, a " Changing places " facility and a sensory room. I suspect any further re-development, ( Cricket - Field stand ), will be awaiting the go-head for safe standing ... 

Fixed seating so that families can sit together...you are all very closely related anyway aren't you? 🤔😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Exactly.I think a new stand is way down on their VERY short list of Ewood Priorities.

On the very long list of things they are "looking into".

None are on their priority list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Has been mentioned by Waggott on a few occasions though, so must have at least been discussed.

I reckon he might push it because he wants something big to get stuck into. Probably knows just the people to do it as well or kit it out at least.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

On the very long list of things they are "looking into".

None are on their priority list.

Waggott has spent his time, creating a void. Ideal if you want to look in to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the consultation meeting, as part of a discussion with a group of fans, somebody stated something along the lines of “It would be amazing to go up even for one season, purely for the money”, to which Waggott replied “Absolutely, we could do something with that stand, get the hotel.”

He’s absolutely obsessed with the idea. Anything else is secondary to him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Miller11 said:

After the consultation meeting, as part of a discussion with a group of fans, somebody stated something along the lines of “It would be amazing to go up even for one season, purely for the money”, to which Waggott replied “Absolutely, we could do something with that stand, get the hotel.”

He’s absolutely obsessed with the idea. Anything else is secondary to him. 

Waggott is a money man and there's money in a hotel. What the owners want is another thing though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waggott is a money man and there's money in a hotel. What the owners want is another thing though.

still don`t get this hotel idea,miles out of the town centre in a "rustic area" area of residential dwellings and a view of a polluted river and a few trees,got no potential of ever paying for itself imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

Waggott is a money man and there's money in a hotel. What the owners want is another thing though.

still don`t get this hotel idea,miles out of the town centre in a "rustic area" area of residential dwellings and a view of a polluted river and a few trees,got no potential of ever paying for itself imo

Agree, Hotel would never work. Not close enough to M65.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minute drive, not exactly in the sticks.

Fernhurst has run a 30 room hotel for years...

Edited by Mattyblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

5 minute drive, not exactly in the sticks.

Fernhurst has run a 30 room hotel for years...

The club has already missed the boat on the hotel front by sitting around talking about it for years whilst all over Blackburn hotels catering for different types of clientele have sprung up left right and centre.

'No demand for that' is just another excuse to do nothing when we need to be proactive.

Massive Hilton being built over at Whitebirk. Them lads at Euro Garages know a thing about business and can see a demand yet the world famous historic Blackburn Rovers couldnt run a hotel with 15,000 folk minimum coming through the doors every other Saturday. Pull the other one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The club has already missed the boat on the hotel front by sitting around talking about it for years whilst all over Blackburn hotels catering for different types of clientele have sprung up left right and centre.

'No demand for that' is just another excuse to do nothing when we need to be proactive.

Massive Hilton being built over at Whitebirk. Them lads at Euro Garages know a thing about business and can see a demand yet the world famous historic Blackburn Rovers couldnt run a hotel with 15,000 folk minimum coming through the doors every other Saturday. Pull the other one.

 

Having worked in Blackburn for years, I have seen such a decline in the town. It used to be a great night out (yes, I'm that old), but I fail to see what a hotel would bring to Ewood. I appreciate the Fernhurst is there, no idea what the take up of rooms is. A hotel at Ewood would be popular on match days perhaps, but when else? In the close season there's nothing going on. The facility at Lancs CCC, is being expanded as is the ground. They can fill it all the time, as it's within walking distance of OT, so it can service out of the cricket season as well.

Are BwDBC going to invest in the Ewood infrastructure? Brewery and a few good pubs up Livesey Branch. It's not suddenly going to become a great night out! A branch of the college, expanding, but it's a twenty minute walk into town.

The Loons should have spent money on seeking Sam's considerable advice, providing funds for improving the team, and moving on what we already had. 

I fear Waggott's dreaming again. 

Onward and upward to three points against Stoke.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Having worked in Blackburn for years, I have seen such a decline in the town. It used to be a great night out (yes, I'm that old), but I fail to see what a hotel would bring to Ewood. I appreciate the Fernhurst is there, no idea what the take up of rooms is. A hotel at Ewood would be popular on match days perhaps, but when else? In the close season there's nothing going on. The facility at Lancs CCC, is being expanded as is the ground. They can fill it all the time, as it's within walking distance of OT, so it can service out of the cricket season as well.

Are BwDBC going to invest in the Ewood infrastructure? Brewery and a few good pubs up Livesey Branch. It's not suddenly going to become a great night out! A branch of the college, expanding, but it's a twenty minute walk into town.

The Loons should have spent money on seeking Sam's considerable advice, providing funds for improving the team, and moving on what we already had. 

I fear Waggott's dreaming again. 

Onward and upward to three points against Stoke.

 

Loads of businesses based at Whitebirk, Shadsworth and Darwen. Must be countless people who need somewhere to stay on business trips.

Clearly the focus would be on attracting fans, players and delegates before and after games and if we were to get promoted we would be looking at double our footfall with the usual tourists turning up from all over the place to watch the big clubs here.

Our USP would be staying at a historic football ground, close access to the motorway and town centre, good parking, pitch views, include gym, fitness centre etc. Bolton have done well out of their hotel in their ground when there's nothing around there to do other than go shopping and plenty of other hotels down the road in Manchester.

In the last 5-10 years we've seen a Travelodge at Darwen services, 2x Premier Inn, Hilton at Whitebirk, Marstons at Guide and Wetherspoons all open hotels and they keep coming. I feel we are missing out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

I'm raising two of my six fingers to you, as I write .... 😂

...with your feet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sympatheticclaret said:

You credit me with more talent than I possess, my friend ! 

Not so much talent as missing the evolutionary bus! 🍌 🦶 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This is a topic that's interest me for some time so I'm curious to see everyone's opinions.

The obvious thing is the riverside needs a makeover atleast, when people say ewood is a shithole the only reason they say that is because of the riverside, if you walk round the sides and back of it (Blackburn end side) there is all sorts of crap dumped there and it's a complete mockery of a good standard and what was a state of the art stadium until the super stadiums started going up, the tv gantrys hanging off the roof make it am even bigger eye sore

So what could be done? While financies ain't great these days not helped by the pandemic of course its unrealistic to expect a new stand completely even though on two occasions I spoke to waggot about the subject and how the stadium needs maintence as it's starting to look dirty and tacky in parts,he openly told me plans have been out in place for a new riverside stand which would include facility's that can make money outside of matchdays and also downgrade the capacity a bit, otherwise an idea would be to give the stand a makeover, new roof, removal of pillars and maybe an inside  concourse by knocking through which means removing seats. 

Jack walkers ambition for the stadium  meant we a small north west town club was never gonna fill our stadium, even 31k has always been too big for us, a capacity of 25k like the dw would have been about right so thank god his plan to make the place 40k didnt happen.

What would you like to see happen with the stadium? 

Edited by TheRovers1994

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see a rebuilt Riverside stand in an ideal world. In my mind it would be slightly but no significantly smaller than it is at present. I think what Prestons newest stand would maybe be a comparison as it jut makes their ground look so much nicer. Another option would be something that looks quite unique to give the stadium a more modern appeal.

The rest of the ground just needs someone to bother to maintain it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Good thread on this already.

Like I said on it, a replica of West Brom’s West Stand would be ideal...

 

Edited by Mattyblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.