BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stoke City home

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Both of them 2 can naturally play wide and have been effective starting from wide in the past. Thats the difference.

How many games has Buckley had wide compare to those Rothwell and Downing? In Rovers shirt. Not that many. 

For me, hes starts wide left  

Edited by chaddyrovers

10 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, I think you have it there, it will be Gallagher for Johnson and then Downing to CM and Gallagher to the wing. 

That leaves Buckley still in the team. I think he will drop him for this one. I figure Gally in for Buckley is the most likely swap. There are a few CMs who might come in for Johnson. Maybe Rothwell, and Downing central like you say.

All Cup finals from here on out.  A defeat at home kills any hope of playoffs.  6 points up for grabs this week, but it will not be easy.  Both Stoke and Swansea have their own battles on their hands.  Hoping Rothwell returns as believe his energy could be key in driving us forward.  Nervy days ahead this week.

5 hours ago, rigger said:

I’d go

Walton

Nyambe.     Tosin.    Lenahan

Chapman.                        Downing 

Travis.        Johnson

Rothwell.   Graham. Armstrong 

Replace the finished DG with DS and I'll go with that ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

I think Brereton is due a goal here soon surely, he has impressed the last couple of times out and deserves a go. Be a good time to get someone other than Armstrong scoring regularly.

If someone is scoring regularly you don't replace them until they are not .

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rigger said:

I’d go

Walton

Nyambe.     Tosin.    Lenahan

Chapman.                        Downing 

Travis.        Johnson

Rothwell.   Graham. Armstrong 

Harry Chapman as a right-wing-back?!?!?!?!?!? It's a massive no from me.

If you're going FATB then surely:

Walton
JRC Nyambe Tosin Lenihan Bell
Travis Downing
Samuel Armstrong Rothwell

7 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

Buckley is needed in this game imo. His quality passing to unlock a defensive team. Besides he won 3rd most tackles in the league despite being brought off after an hour or so.

I was very impressed with his work ethic.

Buckley and Rothwell are VERY similar players IMO, and Rothwell is a little bit better than him for now, straight swap really, Buckley on for 30 minutes to save Rothwell's legs.

12 hours ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

We haven't beaten Stoke at Ewood in the league since Big Sam's first game in charge. Stoke have won the last 3 and drawn the other. Putting that record to bed would be nice 

Tell me about it, living near to Stoke these buggers have become close to being my Burnley over the last decade.

Not much interest in tomorrow's game from that lot, or the one last season but before that (especially the cup tie) they all seemed to get really giddy about going to Ewood for some reason.

I think it will be tough, hopefully squeeze past them 1-0 or something, I just have a feeling that Saturdays game at home against Swansea might then be a step too far and we'll draw or lose effectively ending our play off push. But we'll see.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Buckley and Rothwell are VERY similar players IMO, and Rothwell is a little bit better than him for now, straight swap really, Buckley on for 30 minutes to save Rothwell's legs.

I would say they aren't similar at all, I would say Buckley is more of a technician, not the quickest but good on the ball and able to link play up with his passing. Rothwell is quicker and his game is more about dribbling quickly at opponents. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would say they aren't similar at all, I would say Buckley is more of a technician, not the quickest but good on the ball and able to link play up with his passing. Rothwell is quicker and his game is more about dribbling quickly at opponents. 

Both look to beat a man, play with the ball at their feet, neither are particularly strong physically but carry the ball well, both struggle with their final ball/finishing to certain extents... seem pretty similar to me. 

9 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Both look to beat a man, play with the ball at their feet, neither are particularly strong physically but carry the ball well, both struggle with their final ball/finishing to certain extents... seem pretty similar to me. 

Buckley looks much slower to me and I certainly haven't seen him beat men like Rothwell. I would say Rothwell is far stronger too. The physicality has never looked an issue to him. I wouldn't put them in the same category of player at all, I don't see it. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Harry Chapman as a right-wing-back?!?!?!?!?!? It's a massive no from me.

If you're going FATB then surely:

Walton
JRC Nyambe Tosin Lenihan Bell
Travis Downing
Samuel Armstrong Rothwell

At home.with a win needed, against Stoke. Yes.

As you can see I would not go four at the back. I pick a side to beat our opponents of the day.

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Not sure about that at all. One thing that seems clear to me is that Buckley cannot play from a wide position, hes had one effective game in a Rovers shirt and it was when he was played in a more central position. If he is to play tomorrow night, it should be as a 10. Rothwells main issues are regarding his final ball but he is a different player, one who has pace and beats players, and has had all of his good games in a Rovers shirt from wide left.

16 minutes ago, rigger said:

At home.with a win needed, against Stoke. Yes.

At home, with a win needed, against Stoke... you don't play out of form and out of favour WINGER Harry Chapman as a full back. You just don't.

44 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Give over. Totally different.  Rothwell has that Utd education and you can see it with his close control and ability to beat a man.  Buckley, very average and I genuinely don't get it with him.  I know better youth players all over.

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

I know better youth players all over.

As you keep saying, but he was decent at Charlton, and had an alright game against Brentford. Him and Rothwell are very similar, they both struggle with their final product big time, show touches of class ON the ball but definitely struggle off it. I'm not claiming they're the same height, weight, or even position in the final third, but their pros and cons to our Starting XI are near identical. Youthful energy, beat a man, some nice turns etc... but killer balls and unbelievable strikes? Neither of them have that. That's why they're similar.

10 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Give over. Totally different.  Rothwell has that Utd education and you can see it with his close control and ability to beat a man.  Buckley, very average and I genuinely don't get it with him.  I know better youth players all over.

It's not just an opinion either, the stats also show the two players to be very similar. Buckley a little more defensive ability than Rothwell, but I think we all knew that, and Rothwell definitely a little bit more on the dribbling side, but we all knew that too. Other than that, those marginal differences, I see two very similar, decent footballers...

1105328550_JohnBuckleyJoeRothwell.thumb.png.a6b854c2e3fd27f35e1e9a94e2f604f5.png

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It's not just an opinion either, the stats also show the two players to be very similar. Buckley a little more defensive ability than Rothwell, but I think we all knew that, and Rothwell definitely a little bit more on the dribbling side, but we all knew that too. Other than that, those marginal differences, I see two very similar, decent footballers...

1105328550_JohnBuckleyJoeRothwell.thumb.png.a6b854c2e3fd27f35e1e9a94e2f604f5.png

Seriously man, stats are no way to prove that 2 players are similar. 

Like how would the amount of times a player is dispossessed show they are similar, or literally any of those other criteria? 

I could pick 2 players, who could not be more different and there stats could be the same. It doesn't mean anything! 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 4