BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stoke City home

16 hours ago, JoeH said:

Buckley and Rothwell are VERY similar players IMO, and Rothwell is a little bit better than him for now, straight swap really, Buckley on for 30 minutes to save Rothwell's legs.

Away from home where there is space the running of Rothwell. At home against a likely defensive team I'd go with the superior passing of Buckley.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, booth said:

I thought we went to pot when Buckley went off on Saturday. That could have been more to do with who his replacement was, or Tony changing things too much, but still I thought he did a job while he was on the pitch. When he went the entire midfield seemed to go with him.

Because Buckley was actually working really hard much like Travis. 

I saw him tracking back countless times. And he won more tackles than anyone despite not being on for the full game.

• Like 2

We’ve been in pretty good form, TM has made the most of his player personnel, and we got this one at home. 

Not to get ahead of the schedule, Stoke is the only one that matters right now. 

Rovers need a win. I agree with others who’ve said to be in playoff place, we must win tomorrow. 

• Like 2

The next 2 games will not be easy. Stoke and Swansea were in the PL 2 seasons ago and they still have some of those PL quality players. They’ve both been underperforming but the playing talent is still there.

If Rothwell is back that will be a massive boost to the team. We lack a bit of creativity in midfield at the moment.

If we do manage to win the next 2 games I will start to believe!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Miker said:

The next 2 games will not be easy. Stoke and Swansea were in the PL 2 seasons ago and they still have some of those PL quality players. They’ve both been underperforming but the playing talent is still there.

If Rothwell is back that will be a massive boost to the team. We lack a bit of creativity in midfield at the moment.

If we do manage to win the next 2 games I will start to believe!

Hope that’s not Mowbray’s team talk. We need to be bold and take the game to Stoke.

We need to ride this momentum as far as we can. A point tonight is not enough.

Really tough game this, I think some people are underestimating Stoke a bit.

Whilst we're considered to be in form, they've only collected 2 points less than us in the last 8 games. That includes wins against West Brom, Cardiff and Swansea too. I don't wish to sound negative but its similar to the Wigan/Brum games when people were talking about the Brum game as if we'd already turned Wigan over (like some are with Swansea now). I'd like to think we've learnt from but I think we're in for a nervy old night.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I found the reaction to the Brentford result a little surprising to be honest, it was a chance to finally albeit temporarily break into that top 6, v a rival (who I felt many conceded a little too much respect too considering that we are going for the same goal) and were 2 nil up. Especially considering that the points we let slip were the 22nd and 23rd of the season. Was a major disapointment no matter how you paint it. We need to be as ruthless as possible from now on and not adopt a mentality of "a point here will be fine" it needs to be any points dropped are a potential opportunity for rivals to spring ahead. If you are genuine top 6 contenders which we are you dont fear anyone. Hoping for a win tomorrow at home to a bottom 6 side to get us back to winning ways and in to 7th.

In regular circumstances, losing a 2-0 lead would be gutting. But Brentford were better than us for the vast majority of that game and we did well not to lose, despite the sequence of scores. It was a point gained.

Tonight is a different matter. One of the biggest games in the last 18 months. It’s not over if we lose, but this is a massive opportunity. We have to capitalise on the results last night.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I found the reaction to the Brentford result a little surprising to be honest, it was a chance to finally albeit temporarily break into that top 6, v a rival (who I felt many conceded a little too much respect too considering that we are going for the same goal) and were 2 nil up. Especially considering that the points we let slip were the 22nd and 23rd of the season. Was a major disapointment no matter how you paint it. We need to be as ruthless as possible from now on and not adopt a mentality of "a point here will be fine" it needs to be any points dropped are a potential opportunity for rivals to spring ahead. If you are genuine top 6 contenders which we are you dont fear anyone. Hoping for a win tomorrow at home to a bottom 6 side to get us back to winning ways and in to 7th.

No it wasn't a major disappointment tho. Its yourself painting this way. Most Rovers fans arent. We drew to a dobgy penalty. Whilst our penalty was a penalty as Quest pundit Nathan Jones said. Neutral opinion. 

We have taken 4 points against Brentford. A potential playoff rival. If you offer me a point before Brentford I would have deffo took it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rigger said:

I think you will find that the position I have put him in, is as a wing-back which depending on what type of player you are, can be an attacking position 

I'll re-phrase. You'd play out of form and out of favour WINGER Harry Chapman as a wing-back? Somewhere he's never played before and luckily somewhere he'll never play in his career either.

Edited by JoeH

This is a tough tie more make or break than the previous game that's for sure.. 

I'd look to stick with the same squad as the Brentford game possibly shoe horn Rothwell in somewhere but only if he is fully fit, This part of the season there's no place for half fit players trying to put a shift in. 

I can see it being a nervy affair but one that on our day we should be able to cope with.. wary of Stokes new found striker Tyrese Campbell keep him quiet along with McLean and we should be okay. 

2-1 Rovers (Armstrong , Johnson) (Ince)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, superniko said:

Extremely small sample size on this just throws it out the window. How many minutes has Buckley played for us in the 1st team?

They're per game stats so that has less of an effect. And as for sample size, here's a few more conditions and three more Rovers players to beef it up. I've highlighted in Light Blue the stats where Bucko and Rothwell crossover very closely/exactly. More so than anyone else here, Buckley and Rothwell seem pretty similar to me.

Also, side note, this thing confirms my opinion that Stewart Downing is our best creative player... Stats CAN back up opinions, and I've never come across a group of people who seem to rubbish them so extremely. I'm glad the club have adopted a pro stat approach this season with all the improvements at Brockhall.

1911458846_BuckleyRothwellDowningHoltbyandDackComparedStatsChartBlackburnStats(1).thumb.png.b542ef1c0cf1bb350a3db421416d4f90.png

But it doesn’t make them ‘VERY similar players’, just similar stats. 

Their dribbles would be different, even if successful. Their ‘key passes’ would be different in style, Buckley’s more intricate etc. Having the same amount of assists (Goal Contribs) doesn’t make them similar players either!

‘Lies, damned lies and statistics’

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Just now, Mattyblue said:

But it doesn’t make them ‘VERY similar players’, just similar stats. 

It makes them very similar in their on field outcomes. I didn't claim they had identical styles, I've discussed their key differences style wise, but in terms of what you get out of them, their returns, they are extremely similar in what they bring to our side... that's my opinion, I think the stats show that to be quite clear, more so than any other two players in these areas at our club.

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Ah, you’ve changed your parameters now.

Similar impact to the side? Fine. As anyone with eyes can see as footballers they are nothing like each other.

I'm not changing it, I'm expanding on what was intended, as people have wires crossed. They're similar players for me because they do very similar things, they have very similar outcomes, a lot of things that I'd say John Buckley needs to work on, could VERY EASILY be applied to Joe Rothwell, and vice versa. They both need to bring more goals to their game, work on their final ball, they both have to bulk up a little for me... I just think there are so many ways in which the two players are comparable.

JB runs about a bit more, more tackling and box to box, Rothwell drives with the ball more often. I've noted certain style differences several times over the last few pages. 

12 minutes ago, JoeH said:

They're per game stats so that has less of an effect. And as for sample size, here's a few more conditions and three more Rovers players to beef it up. I've highlighted in Light Blue the stats where Bucko and Rothwell crossover very closely/exactly. More so than anyone else here, Buckley and Rothwell seem pretty similar to me.

Also, side note, this thing confirms my opinion that Stewart Downing is our best creative player... Stats CAN back up opinions, and I've never come across a group of people who seem to rubbish them so extremely. I'm glad the club have adopted a pro stat approach this season with all the improvements at Brockhall.

1911458846_BuckleyRothwellDowningHoltbyandDackComparedStatsChartBlackburnStats(1).thumb.png.b542ef1c0cf1bb350a3db421416d4f90.png

Per Game stats is my exact point around a small sample size. I don’t mean sample as in more players, I mean sample as in games played.
Say I’ve played 3 games and in one had 4 shots and the other two I had 1. I’m averaging 2 shots per game but the 4 could be the anomaly. 

It’s meaningless and pointless to compare at the moment. Buckley has start 5 league games for us in his career. 

Just now, superniko said:

Per Game stats is my exact point around a small sample size. I don’t mean sample as in more players, I mean sample as in games played.

Nearly 500 minutes on the pitch... It's enough to start looking IMO.

I don't usually bother with night games anymore but making an effort for tonight.

My local has a minibus going up, so I'll be travelling up with 15 Stoke fans which should be an absolute hoot ?

I have a feeling it has draw written all over it, but I'm slightly more confident of this one than Saturday.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think it helped that it was on Sky. Everyone could see what happened and how it happened. We could see our lads putting a shift in but ultimately being unlucky against a good side at their place.

Edited by CD_93
  • Like 2

I think this could be one of the toughest home matches of the season so far. I can't help thinking back to late December when we had, in many people's beliefs, two comfortable home games on the back of some good results and form. In my view we are in exactly the same position now and if the players aren't at it the results could well be the same. Over confidence can be as bad as a lack of confidence sometimes.

• Like 4

On 24/02/2020 at 09:24, JoeH said:

They've improved but not by too much.

According to stats posted on their Oatcake message board, they are the most improved team in the league since 5th Nov (about three weeks before we played them away).

Prior to 5th Nov, they were accumulating points at the rate of 0.5 points per game whereas that rate has improved to 1.4 PPG since 5th Nov.

We are the joint second most improved team (along with Boro) since that date, accumulating points at the rate of 1.2 PPG before 5th Nov and 1.8 PPG afterwards.

Stoke are clearly still very inconsistent but they have undoubtedly improved significantly since we beat them away in November.