BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stoke City home

• Backroom
Just now, JacknOry said:

fixed

You're not wrong, but even one defender on loan in the Jan window would have been enough. Out of curiosity why did we recall Magloire if he doesn't even get on the bench when we have no central defenders available for cover? Is he injured or what?

The team looks strong, but I think it’s the wrong lineup from TM tonight. IMO downing is most effective when Playing deep alongside travis, especially at home where we have more of the ball and need his quality. Yes Johnson has been decent for us recently but He doesn’t offer the same quality on the ball as downing. Bringing Rothwell back in tonight however is the right call, one of our best attacking players so needs to be in there even if he isn’t fully fit (unless there’s a chance of injury reoccurrence).

Think Buckley has been harshly dropped, he’s played well and had crucial goal involvements in the last two games, he also has the ability to unlock defences, which we may need tonight if stoke put men behind the ball. I don’t think he offers much as a sub as he can’t physically impact the game, he’s much better when he can grow into a game and find pockets of space. Gallagher back in is also and error imo and is definitely the wrong call. Arma has proven that him upfront works, he’s been our main man for a while and our goalscorer, he should be the one up top no doubt. That would leave gally outwide which we all know doesn’t work. Would rather DS or JRC. Back line picks it’s self atm so glad to see that hasn’t changed. Would of gone with

Walton

nymabe Lenihan Tosin bell

travis downing

Samuel Buckley Rothwell 

arma

We should still have enough to beat Stoke though and hope Tm proves me wrong with his selection. Big game tonight. Come on rovers!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Christ. Johnson could end up at CB in a disaster scenario. Hopefully not. Actually Nyambe probably.... Feck ,don't think that 

Hence why I feel we needed a centre back. At the moment any quality would be an improvement! 

Clearly Mulgrew will never play for us again if he can't get on the bench when there are literally no other defenders. Also looks a bit thin in the full back positions too although at least there are people who can play there. 

4 minutes ago, DE. said:

You're not wrong, but even one defender on loan in the Jan window would have been enough. Out of curiosity why did we recall Magloire if he doesn't even get on the bench when we have no central defenders available for cover? Is he injured or what?

The positive side of me says that he wants a bench that he can use to go for it if required. As Blue Bruce said above, Nyambe can move inside, Downing can go LB, Bennett can come in and we have JRC who can play RB. Basically a ton of players that 'can' play at fb - we're screwed if Nyambe goes down and we get an issue at CB though.

• Backroom
Just now, JacknOry said:

The positive side of me says that he wants a bench that he can use to go for it if required. As Blue Bruce said above, Nyambe can move inside, Downing can go LB, Bennett can come in and we have JRC who can play RB. Basically a ton of players that 'can' play at fb - we're screwed if Nyambe goes down and we get an issue at CB though.

It wouldn't be so bad if Nyambe and Lenihan weren't both so injury prone, but we're playing with fire going down this route imo. Do we really need Samuel, Brereton and Graham all on the bench? It's already been shown before that just throwing six attackers on the pitch doesn't equal goals, so I don't really see the lack of balance as a positive. It worries me. 

5 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Hence why I feel we needed a centre back. At the moment any quality would be an improvement! 

Clearly Mulgrew will never play for us again if he can't get on the bench when there are literally no other defenders. Also looks a bit thin in the full back positions too although at least there are people who can play there. 

Says allot about Mulgrew and Smallwood that they’ve been nowhere to be seen

3 minutes ago, DE. said:

It wouldn't be so bad if Nyambe and Lenihan weren't both so injury prone, but we're playing with fire going down this route imo. Do we really need Samuel, Brereton and Graham all on the bench? It's already been shown before that just throwing six attackers on the pitch doesn't equal goals, so I don't really see the lack of balance as a positive. It worries me. 

Absolutely...totally agree. Mulgrew doesnt even get a look in either. Big gamble...especially as you say, Nyambe and Lenihan are fairly injury prone. Even Tosin as had his niggles.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, JacknOry said:

Absolutely...totally agree. Mulgrew doesnt even get a look in either. Big gamble...especially as you say, Nyambe and Lenihan are fairly injury prone. 

I had forgotten about Mulgrew, and apparently Mowbray has as well. If he can't get a look in with our options so thin on the ground then I think he's done here. I doubt we'll ever see him in a Rovers shirt again. It doesn't bother me as far as on-field is concerned as I think Mulgrew brings more negatives than positives at this stage of his career, but what an incredible waste of a big wage.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

I think we all agree we needed one of them, it's just he would still be on the bench! Ya,you would think Mulgrew would be on the bench 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scotland1 said:

Says allot about Mulgrew and Smallwood that they’ve been nowhere to be seen

Think Mulgrew is contractual in part. On 99 appearances I believe. We're desperate for defenders and whilst Mulgrew is poor he has played at this level and in this team so it's not as if he is a completely out of his depth. He is poor I admit but that poor that he doesn't get on the bench with no other defenders, given he has played a number of games and not been terrible for Wigan? I doubt that's solely on ability.