BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stoke City home

Just now, Pedro said:

Mowbray must simply be an idiot. He won't ever win me over. Familiar, slow, gutless approach, too long to make changes to a huffing and puffing side, Gallagher out wide is just an utterly crap idea - so we get ANOTHER predictable result against another poor team. In my view, he bottled it yet again because he was more concerned with simply not losing. I'd rather have lost that game through having a real go at Stoke.  Instead, we ran the clock down for them.

...and don't get me started on the passing and Amari Bell!!!

Most of this ... although I’m currently ok with bell . 

see the thing is Tony is happy with the draw a he is holding on to employment 

however us fans want something more personal and emotional 

• Like 2

Not that down as I expected defeat. TM should have changed system once he knew Gallagher would not produce but he didn't know how. In truth Graham should have been given more game time this season then he would have scored more. Don't want to see Gallagher. Bell doesn't want to risk the tackle and I'm looking forward to seeing what we do about a new manager in the summer. 

Disappointed and frustrated night. 

First 10 mins were good. Tempo and movement. After that our tempo slowed and movement stop. Far too slow in tempo all night. Played with not enough width. 

A couple of decent shots second half but nowhere near good enough. 

Mowbray far too slow in making subs. Downing too deep all night. 

Stoke were solid and discipline. Happy with a point. No intention of going for win second half. 

• Like 2

• Backroom

I can't fault Bell's effort but I just think he's technically lacking at this level. Some of his passing in the first half put us in danger, and his ball control in the second half when we were pushing forward more ruined some promising attacks. There was one moment in particular when I think Downing pinged the ball out to Bell who had considerable space... but Bell's touch was so poor that Stoke had plenty of time to close him down before he then kicked the ball out of play for a goal kick. A real shame Cunningham got injured. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Or a Mulgrew oil-tanker-turn/way-out-of-position special, to be fair.

He'd have been on my bench, but only in case of defensive injury.

Yep there's as much chance of him costing the game as winning it. 

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

We didn't switch formation until Graham came on

Please don't quote my post without providing full context. I said we switched to 4-4-2 when attacking which was obvious as Armstrong and Gallagher both moved into the centre when we were pushing forward. I assume Rothwell was meant to be covering the right hand side but he tended to stay in the centre which meant Stoke could break down that side without resistance when we inevitably lost the ball.

• Like 1

So frustrated after a dismal display against a team understandably fighting at the bottom, with us predictably messing up another chance to really push ourselves up as genuine play off contenders and also against a poor team at home. Tonight, Huddersfield, Wigan, Charlton and Luton at home, 3 points from 5 games.

Unsurprisingly the worst player was Gallagher whose form and performances are irrelevant with Mowbray desperate to play him regardless. Do feel sorry for him somewhat because this winger bollocks does not work and he shouldnt be there but he lacks basic footballing competence. Awful signing, hopefully get shut in the summer. 

We are totally devoid of any width, Rothwell often with urgency but achieving nothing buzzes inside so we are reliant on the full backs providing width and neither have any assists. Nyambe is a threat with his powerful running but he cant cross and Bell is absolutely awful, embarassing how many crossing opportunities he wasted.

Lenihan with a moment of absolute idiocy leaving us in a defensive nightmare ahead of the next 2 games. The logical step is to swallow your pride and although hes not that good now, stick Mulgrew in with the added set piece threat. That being said, he will no doubt stick Nyambe there and bring in Bennett and go with 2 players out of position. I though both centre backs and central midfielders were sloppy on the ball. Armstrong was totally ineffective, Downing did little of note and the subs were too late.

• Like 4

Just now, DE. said:

Please don't quote my post without providing full context. I said we switched to 4-4-2 when attacking which was obvious as Armstrong and Gallagher both moved into the centre when we were pushing forward. I assume Rothwell was meant to be covering the right hand side but he tended to stay in the centre which meant Stoke could break down that side without resistance when we inevitably lost the ball.

No its Downing actually in the 1st 10 mins. But movement was too slow. 

But hardly a 4-4-2 tho. More about movement and freedom 

9 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Most of this ... although I’m currently ok with bell . 

see the thing is Tony is happy with the draw a he is holding on to employment 

however us fans want something more personal and emotional 

It is Bell's work around the opposition's box I have issue with. He looks so scared to put his body on the line and incapable of putting quality balls into the box.

• Backroom
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Our movement by default switched us to 4-4-2 when we were near Stoke's penalty area as we had Armstrong/Gallagher in the box. Out of possession and when we were in our own half we were at our standard 4-2-3-1 though. We were trying to play with some fluidity but it didn't really work. The players looked a bit confused about what to do when Gallagher moved centrally and this caused a few problems, mostly in the first half. Second half Gallagher seemed to be out wide more often which held our shape a little better, with Downing in the middle trying to support Arma. SG did drift inside a few times in the second half but definitely not as often as he attempted in the first half - possibly because Mowbray saw we were vulnerable down the right as a result. 

8 minutes ago, DE. said:

I can't fault Bell's effort but I just think he's technically lacking at this level. Some of his passing in the first half put us in danger, and his ball control in the second half when we were pushing forward more ruined some promising attacks. There was one moment in particular when I think Downing pinged the ball out to Bell who had considerable space... but Bell's touch was so poor that Stoke had plenty of time to close him down before he then kicked the ball out of play for a goal kick. A real shame Cunningham got injured. 

Hes dismal isnt he. People have been suggesting that hes a different player lately, I must be watching different games! His excellent is average to anyone else. I just hope we dont give him a new deal.

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Hes dismal isnt he. People have been suggesting that hes a different player lately, I must be watching different games! His excellent is average to anyone else. I just hope we dont give him a new deal.

Bell is as good as he's ever gonna get... which isn't very.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

the only 3 to come out with any credit tonight are travis,lenihan and tosin,it was wigan all over again,to pedestrian,to many passes and just not good enough to break down a determined team

Probably but Lenihan disappointed me with booking.  What happened to Armstrong. Hardly in game. 

• Moderation Lead
7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

There isn’t all that much movement and there’s certainly not much urgency. 
Still, I suppose we didn’t lose....

Just now, dallydally said:

We were complete crap tonight. Can't break down any side that comes to defend us out of the game. No surprise. Good bye playoffs

It's the lethargic attacking. Pissing about knocking the ball across our own box or along the halfway line whilst the opposition reset themselves. It's nothing short of pathetic.  We need to hit these teams quick, stretch them and get the ball up the other end in three - five touches - not twenty to thirty.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

They must have all missed this part of the team meeting. Just got the bit about sticking a poor striker out wide when his place is unmerited.

Didn't I say the movement, tempo and passing was disappointing and frustrating 10 mins ago. 

Gallagher was used more inside tonight. Not a wide player. 

Downing was far too deep tonight. 

We.played at the tempo wanted not as ours tempo.