BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Swansea City home

I wonder why Mulgrew won't drop the clause? He'd be playing football, maybe even get into the playoffs. It's a game of chicken with our manager who will break first and one I don't think will work. As the Gally situation shows TM is happy to weaken the team to stick to his principles. (Cue outrage but see squad unnecessary rotation, length of time Smallwood and Bennett kept their places for proof of this.) 

57 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

I wonder why Mulgrew won't drop the clause? He'd be playing football, maybe even get into the playoffs. It's a game of chicken with our manager who will break first and one I don't think will work. As the Gally situation shows TM is happy to weaken the team to stick to his principles. (Cue outrage but see squad unnecessary rotation, length of time Smallwood and Bennett kept their places for proof of this.) 

All speculation, unless of course you have some proof he has a clause? 

I am pretty sure you were slating him for playing Mulgrew before he left, as were many more of us. 

It's desperate times at the back, but let's not lose sight of how poor Mulgrew was near the end. I think he should be in the squad, bit starting fills me with nerves. 

He looks to me like a lad who has mentally retired. There is no evidence to suggest there is a clause. Absolutely zero. 

28 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

And I hope Rich Sharpe calls Mowbray out on it and asks what the financial consequences are of CM playing.

I think we have bigger issues to ask about than "calling him out" on that. 

Either way,what has it got to do with Mowbray?  He was happy for Mulgrew to leave. It was the latter who wanted to come back. It's up to Mulgrew to force his way into the team and at first, the squad. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Either way,what has it got to do with Mowbray?  He was happy for Mulgrew to leave. It was the latter who wanted to come back. It's up to Mulgrew to force his way into the team and at first, the squad. 

I stress this is only a hypothesis!

If Mulgrew does indeed have "such a clause", that may explain his decision to end his Wigan spell.

In theory, it would have put him in a stronger position to push for a free transfer with Rovers paying up the rest of his contract?

The whole Mulgrew situation is very strange. He was pretty poor defensively in the latter half of last season, so much so Mowbray felt the need to make his infamous ‘defenders are coming’ speech. Yet Mulgrew still started the first fame of this season as captain before his out of the blue, last minute loan to Wigan. He’s seemingly finished and not in contention for a place in the squad, under any circumstances, and he’s still got a further year to run. Something has happened. 

• Like 5

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

I stress this is only a hypothesis!

If Mulgrew does indeed have "such a clause", that may explain his decision to end his Wigan spell.

In theory, it would have put him in a stronger position to push for a free transfer with Rovers paying up the rest of his contract?

I know,I know :)

I mean you could be right,it could be ploy to have his contract ended early to get a free transfer. He needs to play though to get a good one. Maybe him and Mowbrays falling out is deeper than we know, a possibility. I remember though near the end of his time here,he was liable for a fair few goals, let's be honest. IIt could just be that Mowbray doesn't trust him. He hasn't played in a long time. I think Wigan fans thought he did ok though 

15 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

All speculation, unless of course you have some proof he has a clause? 

I am pretty sure you were slating him for playing Mulgrew before he left, as were many more of us. 

It's desperate times at the back, but let's not lose sight of how poor Mulgrew was near the end. I think he should be in the squad, bit starting fills me with nerves. 

He looks to me like a lad who has mentally retired. There is no evidence to suggest there is a clause. Absolutely zero. 

The evidence of the clause is he isn't in the squad when there are literally no other defenders. Why else wouldnt he be when there is literally no-one else? I'd say that's quite compelling. 

I'm not going to disagree with you about how poor he is or how much I have slated him. He is poor no question about it. Thing is it's not so much "any port in a storm" as "only port in a storm." He's poor but the nearest thing we have to a competent centre back. A fair way off and I'm nervous about him playing too, but there aren't any other choices - unless you take Nayambe in there but he 1) isn't great at CB 2) is good at RB and 3) Bennett is also poor at RB. It's the least bad option imo although firmly in the bad category too. 

Bit unfair about the retired lark. Read an article a while back on Charlie about his vegan diet and wanting to play till he is 40. We can question his ability (and it is questionable!) but don't think he is thinking of retiring yet. 

• Like 4

Just now, Blue blood said:

The evidence of the clause is he isn't in the squad when there are literally no other defenders. Why else wouldnt he be when there is literally no-one else? I'd say that's quite compelling. 

I'm not going to disagree with you about how poor he is or how much I have slated him. He is poor no question about it. Thing is it's not so much "any port in a storm" as "only port in a storm." He's poor but the nearest thing we have to a competent centre back. A fair way off and I'm nervous about him playing too, but there aren't any other choices - unless you take Nayambe in there but he 1) isn't great at CB 2) is good at RB and 3) Bennett is also poor at RB. It's the least bad option imo although firmly in the bad category too. 

Bit unfair about the retired lark. Read an article a while back on Charlie about his vegan diet and wanting to play till he is 40. We can question his ability (and it is questionable!) but don't think he is thinking of retiring yet. 

If he started Saturday and did badly,who would you blame? I don't think Mowbray trusts him. Something has happened there alright. The way he left and who he left too was odd,no doubt. I don't think we know the full story at all. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

If he started Saturday and did badly,who would you blame? I don't think Mowbray trusts him. Something has happened there alright. The way he left and who he left too was odd,no doubt. I don't think we know the full story at all. 

No there may be more to it then we see. The captain to exile is odd. 

As to who is to blame - mix of TM.and Mulgrew. Mulgrew for ending the loan/forcing our hand a bit and being poor, TM for not sourcing adequate defensive cover and leaving us in this mess. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

No there may be more to it then we see. The captain to exile is odd. 

As to who is to blame - mix of TM.and Mulgrew. Mulgrew for ending the loan/forcing our hand a bit and being poor, TM for not sourcing adequate defensive cover and leaving us in this mess. 

Time will tell. Look I wanted a centre half,but I do also understand it's not easy to sign someone decent to sit on the bench and wait for their chance. We could have got someone in alright, but what if Nyambe was better than them? He will hopefully do well there. 

If the defensive frailties lay bare again, only one man will need to answer for them 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

The fact young Carter has been our only defensive cover in recent games, with a fully fit Mulgrew in the wings, tells you he’s finished at Rovers.

i find it strange the lad on loan at northampton,wharton,is seemingly a non entity as far as tony is concerned,he`s now got a complete novice on the bench,sure it would be better to have someone who`s been playing regularly and quite well as cover,should`nt have been sent on loan imo,he`s a better option than williams or the young lad carter

23 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Time will tell. Look I wanted a centre half,but I do also understand it's not easy to sign someone decent to sit on the bench and wait for their chance. We could have got someone in alright, but what if Nyambe was better than them? He will hopefully do well there. 

If the defensive frailties lay bare again, only one man will need to answer for them 

We've had the centre back debate elsewhere and so don't think it's worth rehashing. I think for both of us though if we had decent back up at full back we'd feel a lot better about Nayambe moving insiide, even though he's a loss at RB. As it is we're just as thin and poor in quality there too imo. One more defensive reinforcement of a decent standard - better than Mulgrew / Williams and we would be rediculously better off. 

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Is Carter any good? Is he currently better than Mulgrew?

If Charlie doesn’t make the bench it’s obvious it’s for non footballing reasons  

Carter is a good prospect. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Would probably have to agree there. He hasnt totally ruled out Williams but the fact that a half fit Williams may be our best bet is pretty embarassing!

or Mulgrew is too slow against a team with Pace so you play Nyambe and Adarabioyo. Yes I would play Carter now. 

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

The fact young Carter has been our only defensive cover in recent games, with a fully fit Mulgrew in the wings, tells you he’s finished at Rovers.

Mulgrew was finished last season at this club. I don't know why Mulgrew didn't stay at Wigan or move to the USA or Australia. I would think he would move back to Scotland in the summer

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

or Mulgrew is too slow against a team with Pace so you play Nyambe and Adarabioyo. Yes I would play Carter now. 

Mulgrew was finished last season at this club. I don't know why Mulgrew didn't stay at Wigan or move to the USA or Australia. I would think he would move back to Scotland in the summer

How many times have you seen Carter? Moving Nyambe removes an important and on form player to a position he struggles in, and also means Bennett comes in to a position he cannot play in, so its a double whammy. No matter which way we go, its hard not to be apprehensive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Only the Old Firm could afford his wages and you can’t imagine him going back to Celtic and he certainly wouldn’t go to Rangers!

A move abroad would be my bet.

Has Tony got it out of his system by now? Starting Rothwell and playing Gallagher on the wing? Has he seen enough failure with those choices yet to realize, and be the last person on earth to do so, that Rothwell does not do well when he is starting, and Gallagher can do next to nothing on the wing? If he has not, then this game is gone as well.

As for the back - Nyambe is too valuable to move him out of RB. I'd rather risk it with Mulgrew again at CB than lose Nyambe as RB. 

Edited by Mr. E
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

How many times have you seen Carter? Moving Nyambe removes an important and on form player to a position he struggles in, and also means Bennett comes in to a position he cannot play in, so its a double whammy. No matter which way we go, its hard not to be apprehensive.

twice as I can remember. Once against Burnley at Ewood Park this season and the game against Man City last season. 

You stated that Nyambe has no assists from Right back but Bennett has 3 assists from Right back position

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Only the Old Firm could afford his wages and you can’t imagine him going back to Celtic and he certainly wouldn’t go to Rangers!

A move abroad would be my bet.

He would have to drop his wages to move In my opinion. A move back to Scotland would seem more logical for his wife and family 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Its got a lot to do with Mowbray, hes in a position now whereby, a defender he doesnt think is good enough, is suddenly our third best centre half, because he only brought in a city player on loan (Nyambe isnt a centre half before anyone says that, and neither is williams, hes awful wherever he plays).

Edited by AAK

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

twice as I can remember. Once against Burnley at Ewood Park this season and the game against Man City last season. 

You stated that Nyambe has no assists from Right back but Bennett has 3 assists from Right back position

He would have to drop his wages to move In my opinion. A move back to Scotland would seem more logical for his wife and family 

We can see with our eyes that Nyambe is a strong point in our team at right back (with improvement to be made) whereas Bennett is a liability there.

Seems a little presumptious to be stating where it is more logical for Mulgrews family to live! Maybe he is settled and happy where he is.

3 hours ago, Gary C said:

We also lacked quality getting the ball in the box but there were several occasions were there were needless passes I agree

Whilst not disagreeing on quality in the box, I think we made it easy for them due to the amount of time it took to get the ball in the box.

if you get the chance, watch the video and count the number of touches we took when winning the ball and getting the attack going.  Just my opinion of course but I think that is why we failed to penetrate.

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We can see with our eyes that Nyambe is a strong point in our team at right back (with improvement to be made) whereas Bennett is a liability there.

Seems a little presumptious to be stating where it is more logical for Mulgrews family to live! Maybe he is settled and happy where he is.

Well yes Nyambe has improved as a right back but you have commented that he has no assists where as Bennett as 3 assists from right back. Since you loved this stats, the stats would say Bennett is better going forward. 

If he is looking to move from Rovers, a move to Scotland than somewhere like USA or Australia would be better for him and his family needs in my opinion.