BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Swansea City home

38 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Rothwell's not looking as if he's up to much. We're crying out for a flair player but he just flatters to deceive I feel.

I think Joe Rothwell looks a million dollars, but no league goals and only a handful of assists is a poor return from a creative midfielder type, particularly compared to others who play similar roles. 

I thought today was one of those where a host of players didn’t hit their potential, Adarabioyo had his worst game in a Rovers shirt (at least from what I’ve seen), Travis looked a little jaded, Bell returned to his usual timid self, Armstrong isolated, Samuel likewise.

That said, to be under par and still pick up a point and keep in touch with the rest of the chasing pack, shouldn’t be underestimated.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

What did you make of the performance up front v the performance out wide from Gallagher?

Agree with most of your post but Bennett was poor, gets dragged out of position too early and Ayew had joy down that side. Bell is just so ponderous. Samuel about as much of a wide man as Gallagher is, made no sense to play him there with 2 wingers on the bench.

I'm not getting into another Gallagher debate again. Its every game that you want to over analysed him and his performance. He played well, got a good goal and should have another. Work rate good again. 

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Not at Championship level they don't. 

Sadly investment into our facilities and pitches has been more in keeping with clubs at League Two level, and the result is there for all to see.

Give over JH. We had some of the worst weather on record. Floods all over the county. Always going to affect the pitches. 

I like Rothwell but he often looks like the kid in the playground who gets the ball, tries to beat everyone and score the goals. With little actual end product. 

Unfortunately modern day football is miles away from the kids playground and he needs to know when to pass as that is the style of football that Mowbray is wanting us to play. 

There is room for Rothwell but maybe not out wide

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Then you look at the Wigan result!!

I look at the wigan result at ewood more. Preston beat shit teams at home 90% of the time, we dont very often, thats the difference.

Edited by AAK
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'm not getting into another Gallagher debate again. Its every game that you want to over analysed him and his performance. He played well, got a good goal and should have another. Work rate good again. 

Give over JH. We had some of the worst weather on record. Floods all over the county. Always going to affect the pitches. 

Gallagher is a poor player. 3 goals in 60 games now is it at this level? Bloody awful.

Edited by AAK

11 minutes ago, AAK said:

I look at the wigan result at ewood more. Preston beat shit teams at home 90% of the time, we dont very often, thats the difference.

Fair point. Who would have picked this one though? Does show anything can happen but I have personally accepted we won't make the play-offs. When we we are on the verge of something we invariably fail to take the opportunity. We could actually have won all those last three games but came up well short. Infuriating.

Interesting comments on Brereton. Pretty honest as usual. I still believe in the lad and he is striker-in-waiting.

It would have been special if he had been allowed to take the penalty and scored. Probably three ahead of him in the pecking order. 

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2020/february/braver-brereton-so-beneficial/

Edited by bigbrandjohn
Spelling mistake

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

For a player of Rothwell’s skill and ability, it’s pretty damning that Mowbray and his staff haven’t been able to develop him. He certainly hasn’t had the kind of patience that Armstrong has enjoyed, let alone setting up the team to get the best out of him, a la Dack.

Although, I can’t think of many players who have developed under Mowbray. Travis, although credit for that goes to David Dunn of all people, and Nyambe, who looks to be turning into a very capable right back (yet was sacrificed today), and the aforementioned Armstrong, who appears to be a Mowbray favourite, given how long he was given during his barren spells. Three players. There are more that have left the club in that time, let alone ones who are not yet near their potential or even past their best - or even just plain average.

Rothwell is universally liked by the fans from what I can see. I’ve been screaming from the rooftops to have him in the side for a while. But this season he has shown why TM had been holding him back. He had a run of games with zero assists or goals and that’s his problem. He doesn’t effect the game statistically enough. Yes, he’s pretty to watch and undoubtedly talented but he needs to add those final qualities to meet his potential.

He had at least two chances which dropped to him on the edge of the box vs Swansea and never looked like scoring. The most effective half I’ve seen him play was his last before injury when he got an assist and ‘assisted the assist’ vs qpr.

He continues to be a footballing enigma like many before him and no doubt lots after.

Oh and Travs development technically from a RB to a CM is basically down to Jonty who was tasked with coaching the 23’s and getting them into the first team by Mowbray. Dunny would’ve had some involvement. Mowbray then transitioned Jonty into the first team to bridge the gap from 23’s to first team and bring in data analysis. But the main asset there is Trav. Absolute beast of a character. A winner.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Madon said:

No idea how we've gained ground on the playoffs this week by getting 2pts but hey ho. 

Brereton was brilliant when he came on, got abit carried away in the 97th minute when he maybe could have squared it but won't blame him for that! 

Bring on Wayne Rooney's Derby County. I fancy us there. 

Have to agree, enjoyed BB's performance today. Samuel nack to the crap player I remember. Ben deserves a start soon.  Agree with the poster about the refs.  Tired of them deciding our games. 100% a red card.  Crap penalty by Graham, his effort was as soft as the penalty itself, as was theirs.  The holding at our late corners was thuggery, he did not see any if that either.  Heard Swansea did some snivelling about getting a rough deal from refs looked to me like it worked.  At least he added some time.

Anyway I thought we played decent enough.  Gally heads that ball straight and it's in.  Tosin bit sloppy today, perhaps missed Darra.  Nell frustrating almost every attempt at a cross he hits the defender stood in front if him.

12 hours ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

I've been one of Breretons harshest critics..  Wow! What a difference. Looked a different player today. In fact I'd say his introduction brought some added impetus.  Looked a different player today. 

How the ref missed the foul on Travis is beyond me. Lucky he didn't break his leg. 

Beautiful point. Shut those arrogant Swansea fans up!! 

Forgot about that one, funny how he did not miss the slightest touch on Swansea players though.

7 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I thought that at first but watched the slo-mo replays and Walton didn’t go early, although he clearly had decided he was going to go. 

As far as I remember Walton's gone the wrong way every time.  Could he be telegraphing his intentions and the taker adjusts.  Really can't remember Walton getting close to a penalty.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Nope, in the mix means "included", so to be in the mix in this context means being in the top 6. We're not. 

Not true in the mix means you have a chance of getting the play offs. So in your mind if some one says your in the mix for title does that mean only the team who are top are in the mix.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

Not true in the mix means you have a chance of getting the play offs. So in your mind if some one says your in the mix for title does that mean only the team who are top are in the mix.

Therefore evrryone down to about QPR is "in the mix". And Preston are still "in the mix" for automatic promotion.

Edited by Hasta

1 hour ago, USABlue said:

As far as I remember Walton's gone the wrong way every time.  Could he be telegraphing his intentions and the taker adjusts.  Really can't remember Walton getting close to a penalty.

He was practically at the post when the ball was struck yesterday. In fact had the Swansea lad blazed it over the bar could have argued for it to be retaken he went that early. 

Edited by matt83

10 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Therefore evrryone down to about QPR is "in the mix". And Preston are still "in the mix" for automatic promotion.

Come on Hasta. 

If we weren’t involved and someone said to you ‘Bristol City are in the mix for the playoffs this season’, you’d say they were wrong because they aren’t actually 6th in February?

We trailed Bolton by far more than 3 points for long stretches in 2000/01, we were still in the automatic mix!

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Rothwell is universally liked by the fans from what I can see. I’ve been screaming from the rooftops to have him in the side for a while. But this season he has shown why TM had been holding him back. He had a run of games with zero assists or goals and that’s his problem. He doesn’t effect the game statistically enough. Yes, he’s pretty to watch and undoubtedly talented but he needs to add those final qualities to meet his potential.

He had at least two chances which dropped to him on the edge of the box vs Swansea and never looked like scoring. The most effective half I’ve seen him play was his last before injury when he got an assist and ‘assisted the assist’ vs qpr.

He continues to be a footballing enigma like many before him and no doubt lots after.

Oh and Travs development technically from a RB to a CM is basically down to Jonty who was tasked with coaching the 23’s and getting them into the first team by Mowbray. Dunny would’ve had some involvement. Mowbray then transitioned Jonty into the first team to bridge the gap from 23’s to first team and bring in data analysis. But the main asset there is Trav. Absolute beast of a character. A winner.

Or is it because of the way TM has managed him that when he gets an opportunity, Rothwell feels he has to win the game on his own otherwise he isn't picked or gets hooked? 

That is genuine question because I can see both sides. Whichever it is we need someone like Johnson, or which ever coach, to teach him [and Armstrong] when running with the ball to lift their head and look. Although I still maintain that like in the Stoke game that his fellow players do not help players who run with the ball. They do not move enough to give options nor do they move to try  to create space. This was evident in the first half when Bell ran with the Ball and Armstrong and Rothwell both moved closer to him and brought defenders to close the space down.

I also dont believe we are arguing on here if we are in the mix or not. It is clear we are on the edge of the mix, at present we are in but a defeat next week and other results go aganst then we are no longer in.

Good to see Gallagher and Brereton show a glimpse that there is some potential there but I fear that Mowbray will have one on the bench and the other back on the wing next game.

The game was also further evidence that Graham is finished as a player. Like Mulgrew last season his legs have gone.

Just now, Ossydave said:

Its usually a team in the lower echelons of 'the mix' that goes up, I think Villa literally crept into the top 6 this time last season. 

But at this stage they were winning games not drawing them. It is better to win one, lose one rather than draw two.

10 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

But at this stage they were winning games not drawing them. It is better to win one, lose one rather than draw two.

Absolutely, I am as disappointed as anyone we didn't win at least one of the last two games, BUT we are more certainly still in 'the mix'