Sign in to follow this  
JoeH

Derby County (A) - Sunday 8th March [3pm KO]

36 minutes ago, rigger said:

The question was, why wasn’t Rothwell playing in his best position, No 10. It was pointed out, that was Dacks position, hence he wasn’t picked in that position . As Dack is now not available, I think Rothwell should be picked at No 10.

I actually agree, in reality....

On 08/03/2020 at 11:57, RevidgeBlue said:

That'll be Buckley ostracized never to be seen again much like Travis was when he got a red early in his career.

Bennett got a couple of reds a season or two back and went straight back into the side when the suspension was up.

Have to disagree Rev, Buckley is a Mowbary sweetheart where as Travis threatened his "Mr Reed you have.to play like Smallwood and Evans" super midfield.  Big difference Buckley is on TM's favourite players list.

15 hours ago, jw_ said:

Well he may not be sure but I am, he has'nt had the balance right since he took over apart from one short spell that produced a good run. He couldn't have that though and reverted to form by unbalancing it again. He's chopped and changed so many times I don't believe the players even know what they are supposed to be doing.

A settled formation and style of play gives the players confidence and understanding in and of each other.

What we are seeing here is a manager desperately casting around overthinking the game and ultimately producing a disorganised bunch of individual players instead of a team.

Only balance Mowbary is familiar.with has to do with his bank.

9 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Sorry. I know I am in danger of labouring this point, but we made a much better fist of it in the 80's.

Twice we missed out only on the last day and we were in the top 2/3 certainly up to Christmas on more than one occasion.

Under Venky's, I can't recall Rovers even entering the playoff positions for more than 10 minutes under Bowyer- and that it with shedloads of parachute and transfer fees received!

It feels pretty pointless. We are treading water ...and losing money!

Apart from all that, I agree with you!

You're right of course. The football in the 80's was much better for a start. But the ground was falling apart, the crowds were very low and you knew that if we found a good player, the likes of Everton would come sniffing. Not just players either---managers as well.

I got to thinking "what's the point of it all?" and now I'm back there.

That's really my 1980's comparison point. I didn't see a way out and then Jack appeared! No such luck now.

Nothing a decent prescription can't fix!

13 hours ago, JoeH said:

3rd by a long chalk is taking the mick something rotten. This is a squad that would have to fight & struggle to finish 6th WITH a decent manager. We'll finish 9-12th under Mowbray because he isn't that manager, but to say this team should be looking to finish 3rd, easily, with a decent manager is baffling to me. 

A decent manager wouldnt have pissed away 12 million quid on two worthless strikers, rather investing in the areas of need.  So yeah a decent manager and the squad, not this squad, would be 3rd

6 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Poor poor performance. The manager was too slow in changing the personnel and far too many players had an off day.

Massive game week coming up. Anymore performances like Sunday and we’re done! 

So...you'd agree we are onto a must win game now?

2 hours ago, USABlue said:

Have to disagree Rev, Buckley is a Mowbary sweetheart where as Travis threatened his "Mr Reed you have.to play like Smallwood and Evans" super midfield.  Big difference Buckley is on TM's favourite players list.

Don’t quite get the angst I’m seeing towards Buckley around here. The boy was bursting his guy for the team on Sunday. The boy is absolute quality, and showed a new part of his game Sunday with athleticism and hustle. 

32 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Don’t quite get the angst I’m seeing towards Buckley around here. The boy was bursting his guy for the team on Sunday. The boy is absolute quality, and showed a new part of his game Sunday with athleticism and hustle. 

What he did was wreckless, unnecessary and irresponsible. His foul wasnt for the team.

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

What he did was wreckless, unnecessary and irresponsible. His foul wasnt for the team.

Let's hope he learns his lesson, although it was extremely harsh to warrant a red. I vaguely recall Travis doing something similar at Portsmouth in our League One season... Memory might be incorrect, but I think he came on as a sub for his first team debut and made a stupid and horrendous challenge to get sent off!

6 minutes ago, Yoogo said:

Let's hope he learns his lesson, although it was extremely harsh to warrant a red. I vaguely recall Travis doing something similar at Portsmouth in our League One season... Memory might be incorrect, but I think he came on as a sub for his first team debut and made a stupid and horrendous challenge to get sent off!

The Travis example is a good comparison, another sign of wrecklessness and irresponsibility at a young age. He learnt his lesson and has shown maturity that Buckley can learn from.

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

So...you'd agree we are onto a must win game now?

In the literal sense, no. But we do need a win to get us going again and lift the team. A minimum of 5 wins needed out of 9 games just to be in with a shout.

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

A minimum of 5 wins needed out of 9 games just to be in with a shout.

Can't see it can you?

10 hours ago, yankfan said:

So yeah a decent manager and the squad, not this squad, would be 3rd

Just not true. This squad is nothing like 3rd. 

9 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Yeah, when you play football you know how easy it is to get lost in the general atmosphere in the heat of the moment. You’re doing everything you can to get the ball back and show some fight and the line is very fine between brilliant and reckless. 

The man did what he could for his team, I’ll never fault him for that. Young players get red cards it’s all part and parcel of their development. Those that chastise him have probably never stepped foot on a field of play before and are Monday night football experts. 

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The Travis example is a good comparison, another sign of wrecklessness and irresponsibility at a young age. He learnt his lesson and has shown maturity that Buckley can learn from.

Hopefully he doesn't get the same treatment Travis did for that misdemeanor! We barely saw him again until Smallwood's suspension at the end of Dec 18. 

Sponsor
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, 47er said:

You're right of course. The football in the 80's was much better for a start. But the ground was falling apart, the crowds were very low and you knew that if we found a good player, the likes of Everton would come sniffing. Not just players either---managers as well.

I got to thinking "what's the point of it all?" and now I'm back there.

That's really my 1980's comparison point. I didn't see a way out and then Jack appeared! No such luck now.

Nothing a decent prescription can't fix!

Agreed.

I know I have a bee in my bonnet about "how bad it was in the 80's" and "our natural level etc"..and I am on a mission from God to challenge it.....on line lol

You are so right about our constant bereavement, as bigger clubs poached managers and players.

I was working in Burnley at the time they lost Coyle and they were gutted.(almost as gutted as I was when we appointed him!)

It was the first time they had experienced it!

With Furphy, Lee, Smith and Kendall Rovers fans had lost four good managers in a row. And it is a sign of the modern, foreign manager obsessed times that Dyche didn't leave long ago-for the likes of Everton, Leicester or Villa.

What's the point of it all indeed. I have come to think of Rovers fans, as characters in a Beckett play. We are all upside down in a barrel of Venky sh**, awaiting the next repeat cycle of pointlessness!

Edited by Leonard Venkhater

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

We are all upside down in a barrel of Venky sh**, awaiting the next repeat cycle of pointlessness!

You're a Rovers fan - There's no cure for that!

At least in the 80s the pointlessness belonged to us and we were proud to be part of it.

Edited by Crimpshrine

21 hours ago, 47er said:

Can't see it can you?

No, I think we’ll fall short.

On 10/03/2020 at 00:14, roversfan99 said:

He’s 19! It was exuberant and immature at most. Part of a young mans learning journey. Let it go. 

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

He’s 19! It was exuberant and immature at most. Part of a young mans learning journey. Let it go. 

Just because hes a young lad doesnt mean that it wasnt totally unnecessary and wreckless. Ive hardly said he should never play for the first team again and have agreed with the paralells drawn to Travis' red card at Portsmouth which was equally irresponsible.

On 10/03/2020 at 02:16, JoeH said:

Just not true. This squad is nothing like 3rd. 

I think you need to reread the comment