BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Promotion next season?

Building to promotion doesn’t always work. Three of the five relegation seasons I witnessed followed on from top half finishes (from memory - can’t be arsed to go upstairs for my Jackman) The first two relegations to the 3rd Div and Woy’s second season.

Edited by Exiled in Toronto

18 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

The topic wasn’t about Sam Gallagher, neither was my post. Stop getting worked up about it. 

In your dramatic reaction to a single sentence in my post you’ve allowed the point I’m making to go completely over your head. Never mind. 

The topic is irrelevant. You very clearly alluded to the idea that SG is a decent striker because "LOOK we've scored loads of goals Rovers have".

Despite the fact that Gallagher is factually one of the worst strikers in the division.

We don’t need 8 players and we don’t need to spend £20m. 

Most on here derided the summer Transfer business and predicted failure. Many were ready to hang the manager because of how poor it was perceived to have been. We spent net £2m on fees in the summer and improved the squad significantly. The points, goals for, against, clean sheets and they way in which we’ve coped without Dack in particular are clear indicators of that. Walton, Tosin, Cunningham (although cut short), Johnson, Downing and Gallagher have played a pivotal part (some more than others).

The truth of the matter is that the manager has shown he can improve us markedly without spending top money. IF he can get anywhere close to replicating last summer and improve us by the same margin with cheaper European buys, loans and frees then we will be in the top 6 and chasing promotion next season. (Assuming we don’t get a miracle this season)

Im not saying it’s that easy. I’m just saying you don’t need to spend £20m to do it. Plus, you have to factor the likes of Nyambe, Travis, Buckley, JRC and Brereton who will be a year on in their development. If any two of the last three begin to effect our team like Nyambe and Travis then we will have improved significantly.

The biggest issue, if we chase the playoffs down hard and either just miss out or lose in the final is that FINALLY the football world will take us seriously and I’d expect big bids for the likes of Lenihan, Travis and Nyambe in the summer! 

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

The truth of the matter is that the manager has shown he can improve us markedly without spending top money. 

The difficulty here is he spent £12m on 2 strikers who haven't been automatic picks and have scored only a few goals between them.

That;s very BIG money for us and clearly money not well spent.

So the caveat is Mowbray has done reasonably well so far despite wasting cash on 2 non-performing players  If that money had been spent wisely who knows where we would be now?.

Let's cool it on the Mowbray love-in please. . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

The difficulty here is he spent £12m on 2 strikers who haven't been automatic picks and have scored only a few goals between them.

That;s very BIG money for us and clearly money not well spent.

So the caveat is Mowbray has done reasonably well so far despite wasting cash on 2 non-performing players  If that money had been spent wisely who knows where we would be now?.

Let's cool it on the Mowbray love-in please. . 

The post wasn’t about the manager. It was about not needing to spend £20m on 8 players. The manager and In particular his ability to improve the squad last summer on £2m net spend is relevant to that point. As was the development of young players mentioned...

If the only thing you could see from that whole post was a ‘Mowbray love in’ I would suggest that you need to cool the Mowbray hate-in...

PS - For what it’s worth, your point about the two cash signings not being automatic  picks is actually relevant when discussing Mowbrays overall business in the transfer market....but we weren’t discussing that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

The topic is irrelevant. You very clearly alluded to the idea that SG is a decent striker because "LOOK we've scored loads of goals Rovers have".

Despite the fact that Gallagher is factually one of the worst strikers in the division.

No I didn’t. I said our attacking side of the team is doing it’s job, which it is. 

Gallagher has played most of his time on the right. He’s chipped in with some goals too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

No I didn’t. I said our attacking side of the team is doing it’s job, which it is. 

Gallagher has played most of his time on the right. He’s chipped in with some goals too. 

Crikey! So we’ve scored more goals than Fulham with those players and probably 5 x the budget!?

On 05/03/2020 at 14:26, JoeH said:

Mitrovic, Cavaleiro and Knockaert.... please do indulge me... who do we have better than those three?

Fulham are a much more conservative side than us with different tactics... look at Mitro's goal record vs our top striker...

Come on? What's the argument here?

And despite the money Fulham spent on them and wages per week. We have scored the same amount of goals as them. 

• Like 1

Whether we have scored more goals than whoever, that does not takeaway that we have spent 12 mil on two strikers that dont get many (if any). That money was spent badly when you consider teams around us are spending far less on players that do score goals in that positin.

• Like 1