BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Points Based Immigration System and Football

I was listening to the excellent "price of football" podcast (https://priceoffootball.com/podcast/) this morning and they covered the new points based immigration system that the government have proposed and the affect it would have on football.

Rovers have invested in a european scouting network which is likely to be redundant as the new system would make it difficult to sign players from outside the UK.

Any player would need 70 points to be allowed to work here.  A job offer from an approved employer would give the player 20 points.  The club would have to demonstrate that locally they cannot get players at the appropriate skill level, if they did that then that would be a further 20 points.  The players passing an English test would give him a further 10 points and an annual salary of over £25,600 would give them the final 20 points.  

The FA are backing the new system and want to use it to ensure that clubs use UK talent rather than look elsewhere so the "appropriate skill level" is the one that they are focussing on and in initial discussions the English test that is going to be set will be at a high level so many players would fail that or they will need to start preparing for moves to the UK 12 months in advance in order to ensure that their English is an appropriate level.

The flip side to this is that the pricing for UK players is going to sky rocket, our academy has been doing an excellent job of producing players that have made it to the first team, suddenly they become even bigger assets.

I found the discussion interesting so I though that I would start a seperate thread.

40 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

The flip side to this is that the pricing for UK players is going to sky rocket, our academy has been doing an excellent job of producing players that have made it to the first team, suddenly they become even bigger assets.

100%. Lewis Travis will easily demand more than £15m by Summer 2021. He's already being creamed over on SkySports whenever we're on the telly, and the EFL on Quest team sign his praises too. 

36 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

I was listening to the excellent "price of football" podcast (https://priceoffootball.com/podcast/) this morning and they covered the new points based immigration system that the government have proposed and the affect it would have on football.

Rovers have invested in a european scouting network which is likely to be redundant as the new system would make it difficult to sign players from outside the UK.

Any player would need 70 points to be allowed to work here.  A job offer from an approved employer would give the player 20 points.  The club would have to demonstrate that locally they cannot get players at the appropriate skill level, if they did that then that would be a further 20 points.  The players passing an English test would give him a further 10 points and an annual salary of over £25,600 would give them the final 20 points.  

The FA are backing the new system and want to use it to ensure that clubs use UK talent rather than look elsewhere so the "appropriate skill level" is the one that they are focussing on and in initial discussions the English test that is going to be set will be at a high level so many players would fail that or they will need to start preparing for moves to the UK 12 months in advance in order to ensure that their English is an appropriate level.

I found the discussion interesting so I though that I would start a seperate thread.

Really useful information Kamy. Certain areas of Europe might not have a problem with the English. I've spent a lot of time in Portugal where I have been amazed at how good the children speak English and not only in the Algarve where it is vital for their future. I also worked for a large German multi-national where employment depended on working knowledge of English. Which probably means for some players it all hinges on the appropriate skill level. Wonder whether small clubs might be able to claim they cannot get the young players because the large Academies sign all the talented ones.

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

*Awaits next political argument

On this- can this thread please be kept on topic and any mentions of which political party you dislike will be gone. Ta.

If we sold Travis, and the money was used to make us financial fair play compliant, and wanted to bring in somebody from abroad, which person or body then decides whether that player is above the skill level we can 'locally source'. 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

Thanks for the information Kamy. I really don't think the criteria will be too prohibitive. The points for language and salary are pretty much nailed on in he markets we will be looking in. The only one that might give issues is the appropriate skill level. Some pen pushing bureaucrat might struggle to understand the cases that clubs put forward.

As has been said in the long term it could well be good for the domestic game outside the Premier League.

4 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

Interesting. Not good for Irish players chances of getting to the UK, but potentially good for the Irish domestic league. 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Won’t effect Ireland as the terms of the Common Travel Area are unchanged. I.e free to live and work in the UK with no restrictions.

Oh ya? Will that stay in place I wonder? We could be back to the good old days so where it was mostly British and Irish players at the top clubs. Difficult to imagine it though...