BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bristol City (H) - Saturday 14th March (3pm KO)

25 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Could be off tomorrow.

PL emergency meeting 10:30

Several PL players tested positive.

EFL expected to follow suit.

But what about the chief scientific advis… Oh never mind.

Such is the level of over -reaction and hysteria regarding this virus it now seems likely matches will be postponed but I will still be disappointed when it happens.

Surely the best way to beat the virus is for the vast majority of the population to carry on as normal and if a decent chunk of the population contract the virus and are subsequently immune then that will be the best way to prevent the further spread. If everyone goes into hiding the practical effects on people's every day life and the economy are exactly the same as if they had contracted the virus with the exception that when everyone emerges from hibernation the chances of infection are exactly the same.

For anyone who's in a vulnerable category due to age or underlying ill health then it would make sense to self isolate but this is no different really to any other illness in that respect, you wouldn't visit an elderly relative if you had a bad cold or flu either.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Such is the level of over -reaction and hysteria regarding this virus it now seems likely matches will be postponed but I will still be disappointed when it happens.

Surely the best way to beat the virus is for the vast majority of the population to carry on as normal and if a decent chunk of the population contract the virus and are subsequently immune then that will be the best way to prevent the further spread. If everyone goes into hiding the practical effects on people's every day life and the economy are exactly the same as if they had contracted the virus with the exception that when everyone emerges from hibernation the chances of infection are exactly the same.

For anyone who's in a vulnerable category due to age or underlying ill health then it would make sense to self isolate but this is no different really to any other illness in that respect, you wouldn't visit an elderly relative if you had a bad cold or flu either.

Sorry Rev, but you're wrong here. Relying on herd immunity would require at least half the population to be infected. The (very well funded over the last decade) health service will be overwhelmed during the peak and that would exponentially cause many, many premature deaths. The UK hasn't responded quickly enough as is and we'll see that over the months ahead - the lengthy incubation period doesn't lend itself to the current advice. A member of staff at our school has had to self-isolate and since we're not testing people who aren't hospitalised we're all just waiting.

If even the players and managers are going to be out of action, it will be the right decision to shut it down for now. The world will look a different place a month from now, it's just that for now the rest of that world is following different advice to the British Government, whether through political cowardice or misplaced faith.

Edited by CD_93
  • Like 5

• Backroom
26 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I honestly can't begin to fathom this opinion. All the scientific advice from the WHO is wrong apparently. Hellfire.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Hi Everyone- there’s enough misinformation out there without us posting fake news.

Can we not do that please? Thanks.

It's not fake news when it's coming from multiple legitimate news sources... 

EFL Have Suspended Games and its fairly common knowledge at this point and hardly controversial to post onto this forum...

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

EFL Have Suspended Games and its fairly common knowledge at this point and hardly controversial to post onto this forum...

They will be suspended we can be confident of that, not controversial to say but at the time of writing they are not officially that’s all

11 hours ago, Mike E said:

Only 5 known cases. In 5 days, who knows? Remember this is likely to go on for a couple of months at least, especially with no vaccine available.

Up to 10000 people are already infected according to the scientists. This is huge.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CD_93 said:

Sorry Rev, but you're wrong here. Relying on herd immunity would require at least half the population to be infected. The (very well funded over the last decade) health service will be overwhelmed during the peak and that would exponentially cause many, many premature deaths. The UK hasn't responded quickly enough as is and we'll see that over the months ahead - the lengthy incubation period doesn't lend itself to the current advice. A member of staff at our school has had to self-isolate and since we're not testing people who aren't hospitalised we're all just waiting.

If even the players and managers are going to be out of action, it will be the right decision to shut it down for now. The world will look a different place a month from now, it's just that for now the rest of that world is following different advice to the British Government, whether through political cowardice or misplaced faith.

Good post but the NHS has not been well funded over the past decade.  Its funding has been cut in real terms and the pressure and cracks in the system are plain to see. 

I hope these scientists advising the government know what they're doing. We're very much out of step with measures taken in other counties and I think our scientists need to explain more fully their stance.

Johnson had better get it right because he'll pay the price in political terms

As for the football, it doesn't matter. The season's finished as far as Rovers is concerned. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Good post but the NHS has not been well funded over the past decade.  Its funding has been cut in real terms and the pressure and cracks in the system are plain to see.

I'm a Labour activist. I may have been a tad sarcastic ?

I saw Blackburn Urgent Care on a warm Wednesday night. Wouldn't want to see it in the near future.

Edited by CD_93
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, JoeH said:

Out of interest, will you be attending the game?

Happy Birthday in advance!! ?

I was intending to go but now I've chickened out. I'm a bit " chesty " at the best of times courtesy of breathing in all sorts of dust and crap in my engineering career so getting the virus would be really bad news for me.

• Moderation Lead
44 minutes ago, JoeH said:

But at the time you wrote it, it wasn’t, was it?

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Sorry you are very much misinformed. This virus is at least 10 times deadly as flu. A lot of carriers will not show symptoms and transmit it without knowing. If you get too many infected at the same time you hospital's system will be overloaded and over capacity. Hospitals will not be able to function as normal and you will see people dying from accident and all kinds of not virus related stuff because hospitals will not function properly...

• Like 4

Hello Chris Whitty. 

Jesus man we disagree about football sometimes, but what you are saying now is dangerous stuff. You need to inform yourself about the reality. Your middle paragraph is scary it is so misinformed and frankly stupid. 

"carrying on as normal" is the worst possible thing to do. Do you not get that people can have this for 21 days and not show symptoms, whilst passing it on? You need to grasp that before spouting rubbish. 

I work with Italians and Chinese, they are scared because of the stories from there. You can't grasp the basics it seems, let alone reality. 

Sorry for being so blunt. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, sabino said:

https://twitter.com/danroan/status/1238410100785766400

What is annoying is that it took a few fit footballers to get it and then they act.

To hell with the rest of the population!

Remember. "Many more families are going to lose loved ones"

All families are going to loose loved ones, it's a question of when !

46 minutes ago, den said:

Sorry for posting this in the match day thread. It’s self explanatory. 

2269EC74-9AAA-4B8B-AC95-A39A55A27A43.jpeg

The government are actually doing this right. I did a couple of years of research in the epidemiology lab and can tell you that mass cancellations now are not the best thing to do. You want to introduce them later on. Not in the initial stages

• Like 1