BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bristol City (H) - Saturday 14th March (3pm KO)

1 minute ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

So if the season extends...

Walton & Tosin loans finish end of May.

7 x first team squad contracts expire end of June.

Those we've loaned out will be back, the back up keeper will be back in.

As for the rest well Tony just loves handed out fresh contracts to lads he likes......

16 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

tbh honest i can think of better ways to go than watching us at home to bristol city in a cold,half empty stadium,why can`t we all meet our end after winning the champions league for the second year running, tonking Manure 10-0 in the final, having already won the Premier League, World Club Championship, European Super Cul, FA Cup, League Cup and Community Shield that season, then perish in an volcanic eruption that kills everyone,that would be going out in style

Fixed it for you. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, matt83 said:

This is all getting a bit silly now. For everything that’s happened - basically killing the economy I would expect 100000 dead by now

You think there should be 100,000 people dead from a virus, with the potential for much worse, before the stock market takes notice and some football games get postponed? You're a much more heartless man than I am then. And don't appear to understand the stock market...

Look, this virus is theoretically capable of killing some 60 to 180 million people (80% of the global population infected and a 1 to 3 percent death rate) if allowed to go unchecked. To be clear, that's NOT going to happen, but that's purely because it won't be allowed to go unchecked (and hopefully the summer will slow it, but that's far from certain at this stage). In short, these measures are necessary to reduce the global death toll as much as possible.

Looking at what the numbers are now and saying it's nothing is incredibly naive. That's like looking at the figures back in December and saying Wuhan should have done nothing at all because it was an inconsequential numbers of lives.

This thing isn't done, not by a long shot. There's no need for panic, the world isn't ending and we will eventually get it under control. We have to actually exercise control to do that though, and reduce the impact as much as possible. What I'm seeing people describing now as panic really isn't (mostly...a few people are undoubtedly going too far).

I hope people will remember something when this is all done, but I suspect they won't - if the deaths figure isn't that enormous by the time this runs its course, it will be because of the measures taken, rather than some proof they weren't needed.

54 minutes ago, Bohinen 22 said:

And ten deaths. A much lower death rate percentage than ten out of 800.

It takes a while for someone to die of it in most cases, and there could be misdiagnosed deaths, deaths from other factors that were unknowingly worsened by this virus, etc. The NHS is also in ok shape (just about) to deal with these volumes for now. Survival rates will be lower once they're not.

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

You think there should be 100,000 people dead from a virus, with the potential for much worse, before the stock market takes notice and some football games get postponed? You're a much more heartless man than I am then. And don't appear to understand the stock market...

Look, this virus is theoretically capable of killing some 60 to 180 million people (80% of the global population infected and a 1 to 3 percent death rate) if allowed to go unchecked. To be clear, that's NOT going to happen, but that's purely because it won't be allowed to go unchecked (and hopefully the summer will slow it, but that's far from certain at this stage). In short, these measures are necessary to reduce the global death toll as much as possible.

Looking at what the numbers are now and saying it's nothing is incredibly naive. That's like looking at the figures back in December and saying Wuhan should have done nothing at all because it was an inconsequential numbers of lives.

This thing isn't done, not by a long shot. There's no need for panic, the world isn't ending and we will eventually get it under control. We have to actually exercise control to do that though, and reduce the impact as much as possible. What I'm seeing people describing now as panic really isn't (mostly...a few people are undoubtedly going too far).

I hope people will remember something when this is all done, but I suspect they won't - if the deaths figure isn't that enormous by the time this runs its course, it will be because of the measures taken, rather than some proof they weren't needed.

I agree with you wholeheartedly but I suspect a decision will have to be made in the future to sacrifice elements of the populations to ensure the survival of the current economic system. 

I hope I'm wrong.

51 minutes ago, Bohinen 22 said:

And ten deaths. A much lower death rate percentage than ten out of 800.

Sadly that will increase substantially, a large proportion of the 10,000 positive will have very recently been infected. People don't immediately die, so probably in a week's time the numbers sadly dieing will increase, as is now happening in Italy..

As a country we missed the chance to really reduce the numbers through being far to slow to react, if we had followed Singapore's example we may been more effective. 

Our medical experts are basically accepting that vast numbers are going to contract the virus now, it's just about pushing the peak into the summer months. 

The government's refusal to increase statutory sick pay has probably meant too many won't or can't afford to self isolate. They are basing the success of restricting the out break on people self isolating. I suspect not enough people will. 

We can't completely blame government there are too many companies that don't pay sick pay either.

I'm not being political just realistic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Interesting Fact, the chinese opened a biological facility two years ago in WUHAN, just a coincidence Mmmm 

Every year in  the UK alone some 8000 people die of FLU all with underlying health problems,   100 of thousands get flue every year in the UK,  millions worldwide, today people died of FLU. Cancer and heart attacks in the UK, some kind of perspective required by everyone, 

Edited by EgyptianPete

• Moderation Lead
11 minutes ago, EgyptianPete said:

Interesting Fact, the chinese opened a biological facility two years ago in WUHAN, just a coincidence Mmmm 

Every year in  the UK alone some 8000 people die of FLU all with underlying health problems,   100 of thousands get flue every year in the UK,  millions worldwide, today people died of FLU. Cancer and heart attacks in the UK, some kind of perspective required by everyone, 

Difference is- a vaccine exists for flu, it doesn’t for this just yet... 

21 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Donald Trump, the US's chief scientific adviser, said coronvirus is a hoax so it must be true.  

Jim there are some over here believe it to be part of something covert, I don't have time to explain but it is deep very deep.  Read Q on the internet, I don't but my boss spends hours on it it's nuts to me.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree with you wholeheartedly but I suspect a decision will have to be made in the future to sacrifice elements of the populations to ensure the survival of the current economic system. 

I hope I'm wrong.

Italian authorities (with more hospital beds than us) are already choosing who's prioritised and who needs to be lucky or die.

This whole forum is going to end up like ICBINF over the next few weeks. :(

As for COVID-19, surely we are all going to get a version of it at some point? Certainly before any fully tested vaccine can be rolled out.

More people are at risk from the current climate of fear peddled by a bloodthirsty, 24 hour, minute-by-minute-mortality-reporting media, and the subsequent - unnecessary and wholly socially-engineered - hoarding by selfish people. I can understand trying to avoid large gatherings but not wholesale closing of businesses for months. This could cause many years of hardship for lots of people, a few football matches are nothing in comparison.

This may well be our WW2, in the absence of a real conflict, and it’s not a virus we are fighting, it’s our own weakness (as a society) and strength (as a species): selfishness.

Lets hope it’s over quickly.

• Like 2