BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

37 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I think they may go the route of cancelling NEXT season, allowing this one to play out after the pandemic us over, hold the Euros early-spring 2021, then start the 21/22 season as normal.

Is that viable financially for clubs, to go a full season with no income? Players will still be under contract and need paying.

Edited by davulsukur

A friend of mine has just messaged to say that this weekend is “what Bury fans feel like every week”. It’s so sad. I fear that some clubs will not pull through this crisis.

Wayne Rooney in the Times today( never thought I’d write that) has suggested the Premier League donate £1million to every club in League One and Two.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

I think they may go the route of cancelling NEXT season, allowing this one to play out after the pandemic us over, hold the Euros early-spring 2021, then start the 21/22 season as normal.

I actually like the sound of this, it'll never happen though.

If the premier league is not reviewing till the 4th of April how can the EFL review on the 3rd. what if the EFL say it is safe to play, then the next day the premier say it isn't. I think the decision has already been made, but as usual the supporters are kept in the dark.  

24 minutes ago, rigger said:

If the premier league is not reviewing till the 4th of April how can the EFL review on the 3rd. what if the EFL say it is safe to play, then the next day the premier say it isn't. I think the decision has already been made, but as usual the supporters are kept in the dark.  

There is no review on them dates, that at the moment is when the competitions are due to recommence. Friday 3rd is specifically mentioned because there is an EFL game scheduled for that day. We there been a Premier League match scheduled for that day then that is the date they would have given.

There are meetings scheduled for next week when further announcements will be made.

• Backroom

The financial implications are so huge that one way or another the season has to finish.

As someone else mentioned if the league was thrown out do Bury have an argument to be reinstated, do Bolton start the next season with 12 point deduction, they would have to surely.

Leeds and West Brom go up but what about the likes of Fulham who have spent and gambled a lot to achieve promotion, they need to have the chance to get it.

As mike said not planning next season until this one is done seems the best way forward but god knows what that means for contracts etc.

Im hoping it’s decided to get some behind closed doors games done when they can

• Backroom
46 minutes ago, Tom said:

The financial implications are so huge that one way or another the season has to finish.

As someone else mentioned if the league was thrown out do Bury have an argument to be reinstated, do Bolton start the next season with 12 point deduction, they would have to surely.

Leeds and West Brom go up but what about the likes of Fulham who have spent and gambled a lot to achieve promotion, they need to have the chance to get it.

As mike said not planning next season until this one is done seems the best way forward but god knows what that means for contracts etc.

Im hoping it’s decided to get some behind closed doors games done when they can

I think the only other way is to play play all games in quick succession (Sat-Weds-Sat-Weds) behind closed doors until finished. Including any play-off games.

There's no host country this year so there really wouldn't be much protest if we delayed a year, or even scrapped Euro 2020 altogether. No big financial repercussions for any particular nation, and most leagues would be glad of the extra time.

Play this season out in August and September.
Start the new season on October 31st.

PL 2020/21 season has only 30 games, EFL 2020/21 season has only 35 games. Luck of the draw at the beginning of the season for who you have to face twice and who you get away with facing once. Season can be further shortened by a suspension of the League Cup for 2020/21, or the removal of replays in both cup comps for one year only.

2020/21 season finishes at the end of May, re-arranged Euro's can take place in Summer '21, or not depending on whether they just cancel it instead.
Back to normal for August 2021.

Liverpool would get to win their title fairly, Leeds & West Brom most likely get their earned promotion. Three PL teams actually get relegated like they should and the play-off contenders get to battle it out and have the big day out at Wembley. Nobody can complain of complicit bias in any way. Job done for me. I'm sure someone will explain fifteen reasons as to how I'm way off though ;) happy to hear it.

4 hours ago, JoeH said:

There's no host country this year so there really wouldn't be much protest if we delayed a year, or even scrapped Euro 2020 altogether. No big financial repercussions for any particular nation, and most leagues would be glad of the extra time.

Play this season out in August and September.
Start the new season on October 31st.

PL 2020/21 season has only 30 games, EFL 2020/21 season has only 35 games. Luck of the draw at the beginning of the season for who you have to face twice and who you get away with facing once. Season can be further shortened by a suspension of the League Cup for 2020/21, or the removal of replays in both cup comps for one year only.

2020/21 season finishes at the end of May, re-arranged Euro's can take place in Summer '21, or not depending on whether they just cancel it instead.
Back to normal for August 2021.

Liverpool would get to win their title fairly, Leeds & West Brom most likely get their earned promotion. Three PL teams actually get relegated like they should and the play-off contenders get to battle it out and have the big day out at Wembley. Nobody can complain of complicit bias in any way. Job done for me. I'm sure someone will explain fifteen reasons as to how I'm way off though ;) happy to hear it.

The intriguing aspect is the timing of the 2022 WC which makes staggering the start dates of seasons less of an issue than it would be normally. 
Entirely possible that it might be 2023 before “normal” timings resume...

3 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

The intriguing aspect is the timing of the 2022 WC which makes staggering the start dates of seasons less of an issue than it would be normally. 
Entirely possible that it might be 2023 before “normal” timings resume...

Yeah I personally think that just scrapping the Nations League would help things get back to normal on the Int. front as a first step.

Surely the break is only because there have been players and staff affected.

The isolation period for players should mean they are free of the infection or get treatment. After that point they can play again.

Then I would expect it to be closed doors, with TV coverage. (Fans who have bought tickets should be offered free iFollow access).

It’s unthinkable that they would cancel the league because fans can’t go to games. The most sensible option is to delay the Euros until next Summer to allow leagues to physically get matches played.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Surely the break is only because there have been players and staff affected.

The isolation period for players should mean they are free of the infection or get treatment. After that point they can play again.

Then I would expect it to be closed doors, with TV coverage. (Fans who have bought tickets should be offered free iFollow access).

It’s unthinkable that they would cancel the league because fans can’t go to games. The most sensible option is to delay the Euros until next Summer to allow leagues to physically get matches played.

But teams that get relegated will say it is because of the lack of home support and the advantage that brings

43 minutes ago, rigger said:

But teams that get relegated will say it is because of the lack of home support and the advantage that brings

Hard lines. They’ll have to suck it up and motivate themselves. There is no alternative.

Someone has to get relegated or there can be no promotions and no champions.

• Like 2

First of all cancel the euros , secondly abandon this years FA Cup and next years league cup I know the sponsors will be in uproar but will have to take it in the chin  in my view we have to complete this season even if we have to re-start it in June July or whenever and play 2 games per week to complete it  take a 4 week  break and restart the season again 

5 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Id go the null and void route - purely for selfish reasons. Just imagine those scousers and leeds fans - bliss. 

Wont and probably shouldnt happen though. 

You might enjoy this, which I saw on Facebook..

I know it's poor taste, but it made me laugh out loud -especially the last line of 1st verse!

The scousers thought they'd won it.
The title looked a cert.
W***ing themselves silly
Ending 30 years of hurt.
By far they were the best team.
It was proven by the stats.
Then China fucked their season
By eating fucking bats.....

2nd verse

All the way from China
To end the league in March
No back to back in Europe
No sight of Wembley Arch
They thought they'd go unbeaten
They must have been insane
Because thanks to Covid 19
They've won fuck all again

• Like 2

What have people done in regards to tickets they had purchased for games scheduled for the rest of the season? I personally dont think the club has been particularly transparent in regards to encouraging refunds although you can understand that.

I bought tickets for the Barnsley game and have got them refunded today. No point them keeping my money for a game that almost certainly wont be played, certainly to the general public, and if it is I can buy them much closer to the time.

2 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Euros postponed to 2021. Confirmed.

This opens the slot to finish domestic leagues in June & July.

A good decision by UEFA. As was mentioned yesterday World Cup 2022 is in December so there is some leeway for domestic leagues because of that.