BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

Andy Holt (Stanley) making some very interesting points today regarding re starting /finances on his twitter feed ..quoting figures etc .

Whether to simply go into admin....finishing this season meaning unfurloughing staff yet no income what so ever coming in with games behind closed doors ...and more importantly for his club when will next season start for for income to start again ! Lots of things you don't think about . When you read the thread you can see why ..

https://twitter.com/AndyhHolt

Edited by HowieFive0
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

That’s not a dreadful idea but would other Summer sports suffer? E.g. Cricket.

Inevitable they would but the biggest issue would be the TV companies yet again. They can fill in with other stuff in summer between the footy season. Not sure what they'd show in winter.

On 08/04/2020 at 10:21, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Anybody willing to have a bet on the date of the next " normal " game at Ewood ? IE with all fans from both teams allowed to attend freely. I'd say it won't be in 2020.

Depends on definition of 'normal'.

If PL and EFL have any sense of strategic management they will now be looking at the dates of the Qatar World Cup(mid November 2022 to December 19th 2022) and trying to make sense of what the Seasons either side of that should be. Say the first normal match  of next season is no earlier than September/October 2020 or later, how can we get 2 seasons in before the World Cup(plus Euro2021).

Basically, it means the next 4 Seasons will look quite different than any we have ever experienced.

AND the only reason we have professional footballers is to play competitive matches watched by passionately invested Supporters!

A really good insight into how a big EPL club is struggling. With a wage bill of £230m per annum it's not surprising really. I honestly think this horrible pandemic is a real game changer for the game of football and many of the leeches who have been sucking on the teat too.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/inside-story-arsenals-pay-cut-21854815

• Like 1

6 hours ago, arbitro said:

A really good insight into how a big EPL club is struggling. With a wage bill of £230m per annum it's not surprising really. I honestly think this horrible pandemic is a real game changer for the game of football and many of the leeches who have been sucking on the teat too.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/inside-story-arsenals-pay-cut-21854815

I don’t know why but I think it’s more likely smaller clubs or non-PL debt ridden clubs will suffer most. They’ll probably stop the solidarity payments first as they tighten their belts.

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

I don’t know why but I think it’s more likely smaller clubs or non-PL debt ridden clubs will suffer most. They’ll probably stop the solidarity payments first as they tighten their belts.

I think there will be casualties at all levels of football Stuart. The next Sky payment is crucial to the majority of PL clubs which will probably determine their futures. I spoke to a friend today and he said whilst German football is looking likely to begin next month the authorities don't believe there will be any spectators allowed until next year.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I think there will be casualties at all levels of football Stuart. The next Sky payment is crucial to the majority of PL clubs which will probably determine their futures. I spoke to a friend today and he said whilst German football is looking likely to begin next month the authorities don't believe there will be any spectators allowed until next year.

Do you not think playing behind closed doors will be a disaster for the smaller clubs ? No income through the gate and still having to pay wages, bonuses etc 

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I’m sure it will still benefit the top flight.

Leeds will almost certainly be beneficiaries, despite their tendency to balls up a league lead. West Brom look set. So if a couple of current PL clubs go into administration they will lose a few points and potentially be relegated. If a couple of sides do go pop - which I still feel is unlikely - they’ll just cancel relegation and rumble on. In fact, this could be the time for an 18 club top division, something mooted in the past.

Sky will look after the teams they want to see in a “populous-rich PL” and the rest will be left to quietly rot.

Meanwhile behind closed doors games will be devastating for lower league teams - as Tyrone points out.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Do you not think playing behind closed doors will be a disaster for the smaller clubs ? No income through the gate and still having to pay wages, bonuses etc 

It certainly will be a disaster for small clubs and many won't survive but I also think that football in general without fans in a stadium will put it on the road to ruin. If the same thing happens over here that is being mooted in Germany (empty stadiums until at least next year) I really believe that lots of regular supporters will stop going. And more worryingly for the big clubs lots of armchair fans, pubs and clubs won't want to pay for games on tv in an empty, soulless stadium in my view. 

I really feel that the game as we have known it for nearly thirty years is about to change massively in respect of the Sky golden goose. Further down the food chain we will probably see fine old clubs going part time or even out of business.

The way SKY etc and some clubs have gone about it down the years it's as if they aren't bothered about a crowd in the stadium anyway.

Stupid kick off times, ticket prices even the bigger non Prem teams don't fill the ground for a lot of live games.

We've even said Venkys aren't bothered sometimes with the way they've ignored fans and had the attitude we can afford to do what we want.

Well now footballs chickens might be coming home to roost. All of a sudden fans are important.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Possibly but how many fans who can't or won't be bothered would we lose ?  Plus the fact that without the fans the atmosphere would be dreadful.

The lack of fans would be a big reason for me not to subscribe. Games in empty stadiums that I have seen lack passion and aesthetically just doesn't do it for me. And the quality of the stream? When I read post match comments from some of our overseas fans about the stream lots are critical of it.

• Like 2

Yeah, I might be more inclined to watch Rovers matches online or on TV in an empty stadium, but I think i would get bored very quickly of watching the premier league every week with no fans in attendance.

Edited by MarkBRFC

On 14/04/2020 at 10:40, MarkBRFC said:

Yeah, I might be more inclined to watch Rovers matches online or on TV in an empty stadium, but I think i would get bored very quickly of watching the premier league every week with no fans in attendance.

I have already got bored with watching premier league on TV, with or without fans !

Edited by rigger
  • Like 5

Talking to the father in law last night. He’s 70 and adamant he won’t be buying a season ticket next season (he goes with his wife who would be stopping too). This is a fella that has been a regular since the late 1950s and hasn’t wavered at any time during the Venky reign of terror.

However, he doesn’t want to expose himself to infection in, say, October or whenever a new season would begin. 

His standpoint did take me back, but it is a concern that the next set of ST sales could absolutely tank with a perfect storm of health worries, personal financial problems and folk generally just not missing it.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Talking to the father in law last night. He’s 70 and adamant he won’t be buying a season ticket next season (he goes with his wife who would be stopping to). This is a fella that has been a regular since the late 1950s and hasn’t wavered at any time during the Venky reign of terror.

However, he doesn’t want to expose himself to infection in, say, October or whenever a new season would begin. 

His standpoint did take me back, but it is a concern that the next set of ST sales could absolutely tank with a perfect storm of health worries, personal financial problems and folk generally just not missing it.

Agree with all of the above.  Personally, I don't think football with fans will happen again until next year but if this virus is still around - which is almost certain - then I too would be very reluctant to venture into a football ground.  It's at times like this that football and its importance is put into perspective.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Agree with all of the above.  Personally, I don't think football with fans will happen again until next year but if this virus is still around - which is almost certain - then I too would be very reluctant to venture into a football ground.  It's at times like this that football and its importance is put into perspective.

Personally think the earliest when fans will be admitted to grounds in UK is start of 2021- 2022 season in August 2021 to give time for development and provision of a vaccine and adequate testing of the population for anti bodies to see who has had it and it's not 100% certain at the moment you can't catch it again. I had already decided not to attend the Bristol City game even prior to it being pulled for the same reasons as mattyblues father in law.