BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

6 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

What do people think about this plan for next season?

Splitting each league into north & south, and have the relevant clubs meeting at the end of the season to decide promotion, relegation etc.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/championship-blackburn-preston-leeds-united-18117298

Without seeming to be a bighead, I emailed the EFL a few weeks ago with that proposal of Regional Divisions among the Championship, Div 1 and 2 together with play offs etc.

They replied and stated that their intentions were to get this season done first. Perhaps they did take it to heart after all?

My only criticism of this proposal is that it includes in the leagues West Brom, Leeds and Fulham who could well be in the Premiership when this starts.

6 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

What do people think about this plan for next season?

Splitting each league into north & south, and have the relevant clubs meeting at the end of the season to decide promotion, relegation etc.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/championship-blackburn-preston-leeds-united-18117298

I wouldn't be in favour of at Championship level but possibly at League 2 and conference level joining together. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52381612

The clubs in the National Leagues have been decisive and ended their competitions immediately although there needs to be further discussion on promotion and relegation. I wonder what BT Sports have done as they have the tv rights to the National League including playoffs.

The comments from the Barrow director are interesting considering the selfish comments we have seen from some of the big hitters.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52381612

The clubs in the National Leagues have been decisive and ended their competitions immediately although there needs to be further discussion on promotion and relegation. I wonder what BT Sports have done as they have the tv rights to the National League including playoffs.

The comments from the Barrow director are interesting considering the selfish comments we have seen from some of the big hitters.

I noticed that the Dutch League is unlikely to start again and an increasing number of League Two and One clubs are less than keen to finish the season due to the financial pressures of behind closed doors games.  I believe Rick Parry had commented that supporters are not likely to be allowed in grounds until some time in 2021.  With behind closed doors games to finish off this season - if they happen which has to be doubtful - and no new season ticket sales in the summer, I suspect football is going to undergo a major restructuring for those clubs that survive.  The days of big money transfers and wages - certainly for clubs outside the top six - are likely to be a thing of the past - and not before time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

I noticed that the Dutch League is unlikely to start again and an increasing number of League Two and One clubs are less than keen to finish the season due to the financial pressures of behind closed doors games.  I believe Rick Parry had commented that supporters are not likely to be allowed in grounds until some time in 2021.  With behind closed doors games to finish off this season - if they happen which has to be doubtful - and no new season ticket sales in the summer, I suspect football is going to undergo a major restructuring for those clubs that survive.  The days of big money transfers and wages - certainly for clubs outside the top six - are likely to be a thing of the past - and not before time.

You have raised probably the most important point in this crisis when you mention season tickets. For most clubs outside the PL (where TV money dwarfs all other income) the summer is vital as it's when the bulk of their cash comes in. Given the uncertainty at the moment (and for some time yet I think) I doubt clubs have been able to give season tickets much thought. The worst case would be no spectators until next year and that would mean half season tickets being available but the other side of the coin is that many clubs just won't survive that long with no money coming in. There is no easy way out of this for many.

As you rightly say football is at the crossroads and sadly many clubs will go the way of Bury. For many of the ones that survive will be run on a shoestring. I fear that we will fall into that category.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, arbitro said:

You have raised probably the most important point in this crisis when you mention season tickets. For most clubs outside the PL (where TV money dwarfs all other income) the summer is vital as it's when the bulk of their cash comes in. Given the uncertainty at the moment (and for some time yet I think) I doubt clubs have been able to give season tickets much thought. The worst case would be no spectators until next year and that would mean half season tickets being available but the other side of the coin is that many clubs just won't survive that long with no money coming in. There is no easy way out of this for many.

As you rightly say football is at the crossroads and sadly many clubs will go the way of Bury. For many of the ones that survive will be run on a shoestring. I fear that we will fall into that category.

Did you see the interview with Burton Chairman on Sky Sports football show this morning? 

28 minutes ago, iacok said:

Maybe chance for Chorley to stay up?

National league not yet made a decision on promotion or relegation meanwhile Chorley have started a crowdfunding appeal asking for donations of a fiver a supporter

https://the72.co.uk/159547/how-championship-table-would-look-if-12-match-ppg-total-decided-2019-20-campaign/

Rovers 8th if a ppg calculation ended the season. PNE 6th.

I don’t see how we can ever have football (or any public gatherings) for the foreseeable. No acquired immunity, so even if you catch it and recover you can catch it again so testing is pointless. Asymptomatic contagion means anyone can carry it. There is no vaccine for at least 12 months and to vaccinate everyone in the country (67m people) at a rate of, say, 100,000 per day would take just shy of 2 years. A second peak seems inevitable - while a further lockdown will destroy the economy.

Thoroughly depressing.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I didn't. Can you give me the gist of what he said please?

Watch this clip 

Spoke how some clubs rely on season ticket money. Spoke about certain Players at Burton taking pay cuts while some other people took PFA advice and asked for deferral of wages. Regional league 1 is a possibility..

In my opinion I would suspect a number of league 1 and 2 to go bust over the next 6 months unless the EFL could provide the clubs with the cash needed. It would be a great shame to see this happen to our smaller football clubs. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Watch this clip 

Spoke how some clubs rely on season ticket money. Spoken about certain Players at Burton taking pay cuts while some other people took PFA advice and asked for deferral of wages. 

Thanks.

Rhyl could be the first of many.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52376408

46 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Fairly obvious the PL/EPL don’t have the first clue of what to do, there’s a different potential plan emanating from them every other day...

Different clubs with different leagues in England have different views whether to restart the season or not. When to restart. Etc. 

Burton's chairman Robinson confirmed this morning on Sky football show

10 hours ago, arbitro said:

Thanks.

Rhyl could be the first of many.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52376408

Sorry to see Rhyl go.  Enjoyed a couple of pre-season Reserve friendlies there in recent years.  Really friendly club and their officials were so welcoming - treating visiting fans as valued customers rather than a nuisance - Non-League clubs always seem to act that way.   I think it was at Rhyl that I had one of my first sightings of the mighty Myles Anderson - but Big Sam decided not to sign him for some reason - can't think why.

36 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Sorry to see Rhyl go.  Enjoyed a couple of pre-season Reserve friendlies there in recent years.  Really friendly club and their officials were so welcoming - treating visiting fans as valued customers rather than a nuisance - Non-League clubs always seem to act that way.   I think it was at Rhyl that I had one of my first sightings of the mighty Myles Anderson - but Big Sam decided not to sign him for some reason - can't think why.

I refereed at Rhyl when they were in the Northern Premier League and, as you say Parson they were a welcoming and very hospitable club. As I remember though there fans were vociferous and not shy in telling me when they thought I'd got one wrong ☺️.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I refereed at Rhyl when they were in the Northern Premier League and, as you say Parson they were a welcoming and very hospitable club. As I remember though there fans were vociferous and not shy in telling me when they thought I'd got one wrong ☺️.

It was just you mate - they didn't like the way you spelt your surname. Mr Daffodil always got an excellent reception down there.

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

It was just you mate - they didn't like the way you spelt your surname. Mr Daffodil always got an excellent reception down there.

I'm chuffed about that Andy but you could have answered my conundrum. They just weren't happy with an Englishman who had the same surname as something as iconic in Wales. ???

• Like 1

Strange time these and thoughts go out to all those who are suffering through what the world is experiencing.

We can only dream of a return to walking down to Ewood and hearing the distance sound of fans gathering. But it will happen, might be some time off but hope is there. What kind of level playing field we have between the clubs will be interesting. As in all businesses the infrastructure is there and as far as football goes there will always be a market.