BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

16 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

To be honest, your post fell into the ‘TLDR’ category. I’m not bothered about how marketable they are, I’m bothered about how good they are at football.

That should be the primary consideration and I’m surprised I had to spell that out really.

Yeah and that's you like FUP because you're only bothered by how good people are at football. Most of the current bunch (and could say same for many clubs in Championship) don't give a toss and have little to no personality to go with it.

One day an owner might decide to be unconventional and take on board ideas like these. When that happens there isn't a damn thing you would be able to do about it anyway. Maybe you might realise it's better to be entertaining than boring in such circumstances.

Should also add I would only sign players 25 and older. Want a stepping stone? Sod off somewhere else. What would you rather have a team of Championship/EPL players with a couple who are prized assets likely to be sold? Or a team of players who might be good enough to win promotion but not likely to go to a higher placed club? Take the marketing argument aspects out and tell me what's wrong with the latter on it's own? It would keep in line with the FUP nonsense too.

To be honest Rovers fans are boring. I've been called boring in the past (for things like regular digs at the Walkers) but at least I make an effort to be interesting and suggest new ideas and mentality. It's a waste of time. One day a Championship club might decide to be unconventional and on the lookout for a marketing genius. Who knows? 

Oh and another things. Ticket prices would be reduced significantly. Find a problem with that. Maybe let people in free (even if it's for one season) to go along with new marketing plans, etc. 

Edited by Vinjay

• Moderation Lead

Blackburn Rovers is a football club, so it stands to reason that we need the people that are the best at football we can possibly attain in order for us to be as competitive as possible. 
Not sure where the link to FFP comes in tbh.

I don’t think I’d ever say you were boring, obsessed about things which don’t have any significance many years later? Possibly....

3 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Blackburn Rovers is a football club, so it stands to reason that we need the people that are the best at football we can possibly attain in order for us to be as competitive as possible. 
Not sure where the link to FFP comes in tbh.

I don’t think I’d ever say you were boring, obsessed about things which don’t have any significance many years later? Possibly....

I'm not sure where FFP comes in either. I said FUP. That's what it is. I'm not scared of being sued by UEFA or blindly conformist.

What's wrong with signing the most marketable (in other words not being corporate puppets and having an edge) players possible for the least money while finding a competitive balance? You might have to sign a few players over 30, etc but at least when you sell it's entirely on club's own terms. No more being used as a stepping stone and no more wasting time on Academy players for next to nothing. Or just be like everyone else sign the best players possible then hit the same old ceiling with no marketing initiatives. EPL? Been there, done that, worn the t-shirt. Some fans even think the Championship is more interesting. The fans who still go to Ewood have shown that they will put up with anything so what's the worst that can happen?. Then if FUP is abolished (and Jack Walker should always have significance regardless of whatever you say) and ambition isn't illegal perhaps have a rethink?

Attendances are likely to drop anyway for obvious reasons. So why not try radical marketing and publicity stunts? They don't have to be publicity stunts that aren't feasible. Making a bid for Messi...waste of time (like posting on here). Sending shirts to the top 1000 people on Twitter...potentially free advertising. What's the worst they can do? Throw it away?

Edited by Vinjay

2 minutes ago, Vinjay said:

I'm not sure where FFP comes in either. I said FUP. That's what it is. I'm not scared of being sued by UEFA or blindly conformist.

What's wrong with signing the most marketable (in other words not being corporate puppets and having an edge) players possible for the least money while finding a competitive balance? You might have to sign a few players over 30, etc but at least when you sell it's entirely on club's own terms. No more being used as a stepping stone and no more wasting time on Academy players for next to nothing. Or just be like everyone else sign the best players possible then hit the same old ceiling with no marketing initiatives. EPL? Been there, done that, worn the t-shirt. Some fans even think the Championship is more interesting. The fans who still go to Ewood have shown that they will put up with anything so what's the worst that can happen?. Then if FUP is abolished (and Jack Walker should always have significance regardless of whatever you say) and ambition isn't illegal perhaps have a rethink?

Attendances are likely to drop anyway for obvious reasons. So why not try radical marketing and publicity stunts? They don't have to be publicity stunts that aren't feasible. Making a bid for Messi...waste of time. Sending shirts to the top 1000 people on Twitter...potentially free advertising. What's the worst they can do? Throw it away?

Get you as a PR consultant 

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Vinjay said:

Attendances are likely to drop anyway for obvious reasons. So why not try radical marketing and publicity stunts? They don't have to be publicity stunts that aren't feasible. Making a bid for Messi...waste of time (like posting on here). Sending shirts to the top 1000 people on Twitter...potentially free advertising. What's the worst they can do? Throw it away?

What if more marketable players are worse at football though? 
Whilst I’m keen for improvements to anything commercial, we are a football club first and foremost. Success on the pitch breeds success elsewhere.

Apologies! 'Stupid' a bit strong, What I mean is we may have to think more (I don't profess to know how) to try and not be seen as a has been E Lancs club. 

And I do know V's history. I just feel we've been in the mould for too long and maybe we should think about different ways of taking the Rovers forward. 

I repeat I have no answers. Just welcome debate! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, iacok said:

Apologies! 'Stupid' a bit strong, What I mean is we may have to think more (I don't profess to know how) to try and not be seen as a has been E Lancs club. 

And I do know V's history. I just feel we've been in the mould for too long and maybe we should think about different ways of taking the Rovers forward. 

I repeat I have no answers. Just welcome debate! 

The only way in a depressed area, is success on the field 

• Like 3

• Backroom

If it means next season is more likely to happen then I’m leaning towards agreeing with scrapping this season, the bonus of Liverpool not winning the title also helps.

I think especially because it’s Liverpool though all stops will be pulled out to ensure they have officially won it

• Like 3

It's the only way if you're short sighted. You can be successful on the field as well but sometimes it's good to take some risks. You refer to it as a "depressed area" which economically it is and that's why you need to court more publicity. If you're outside London especially.

Let's say club gets back in the EPL. Wouldn't you rather be a midtable (possibly Europa League) club with a team full of Emerton/Pedersen types (with more personality in all due respect to them) who are likely to stay at the club? Refusing to be a "stepping stone" for anybody could be a strong marketing approach. You would either have to sign a crazy maverick as manager (such as Maradona) or someone 65-70. Of course Pedersen was young when he signed and linked elsewhere but others didn't sign him. They probably scouted him well and saw him for what he was. A player who grabbed headlines with goals sometimes but really wasn't the consistent top performer those at other clubs thought he was. Tugay and Friedel of course were exceptional signings and both over 30. It would be easy to blame such policies if they didn't work and perhaps on the field they wouldn't sometimes...but what if they did? Couldn't you sign some reasonably solid Championship players who aren't likely to move to higher placed clubs for no transfer fee? 

Players could also be offered more freedom than other clubs. Relax the usual rules. Encourage them to speak their mind (as long as it's not racist or anything like that) though perhaps ask them to refer to the club as "Rovers" rather than "Blackburn" once in a while. Something which has obviously made too much sense for the club to insist upon. Give them more freedom but lay down some ground rules too. Some aspects of marketing have to be micro managed but if you want to be different and unpredictable there would have to be a balance. I'm not sure anybody could trust me with unlimited power (because with all the years of frustration I would go mad and probably fire most of the staff on day 1) but being creative and original isn't a bad thing.

Edited by Vinjay
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vinjay said:

It's the only way if you're short sighted. You can be successful on the field as well but sometimes it's good to take some risks. You refer to it as a "depressed area" which economically it is and that's why you need to court more publicity. If you're outside London especially.

Let's say club gets back in the EPL. Wouldn't you rather be a midtable (possibly Europa League) club with a team full of Emerton/Pedersen types (with more personality in all due respect to them) who are likely to stay at the club? Refusing to be a "stepping stone" for anybody could be a strong marketing approach. You would either have to sign a crazy maverick as manager (such as Maradona) or someone 65-70. Of course Pedersen was young when he signed and linked elsewhere but others didn't sign him. They probably scouted him well and saw him for what he was. A player who grabbed headlines with goals sometimes but really wasn't the consistent top performer those at other clubs thought he was. Tugay and Friedel of course were exceptional signings and both over 30. It would be easy to blame such policies if they didn't work and perhaps on the field they wouldn't sometimes...but what if they did? Couldn't you sign some reasonably solid Championship players who aren't likely to move to higher placed clubs for no transfer fee? 

Players could also be offered more freedom than other clubs. Relax the usual rules. Encourage them to speak their mind (as long as it's not racist or anything like that) though perhaps ask them to refer to the club as "Rovers" rather than "Blackburn" once in a while. Something which has obviously made too much sense for the club to insist upon. Give them more freedom but lay down some ground rules too. Some aspects of marketing have to be micro managed but if you want to be different and unpredictable there would have to be a balance. I'm not sure anybody could trust me with unlimited power (because with all the years of frustration I would go mad and probably fire most of the staff on day 1) but being creative and original isn't a bad thing.

So you do agree the only way for the club to progress is with success on the pitch 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tom said:

If it means next season is more likely to happen then I’m leaning towards agreeing with scrapping this season, the bonus of Liverpool not winning the title also helps.

I think especially because it’s Liverpool though all stops will be pulled out to ensure they have officially won it

As always in rip off Britain money will come first so they'll find a way to fit the Prem in. Championship in wages terms if not football or profile is quicky becoming Prem 2 so that'll follow.

The only safe sensible thing to do is write it off then go again next season starting when it's safe to do so, even if a few months have to be done behind doors. Not being able to crow about Liverpool winning it and maybe even Leeds getting promoted will make many in power do their utmost to get it on again.

Get those cheques in the bank first and foremost !

54 minutes ago, Vinjay said:

Now I can get behind most of that . I would fully back all players to speak there mind and say it how it is . We signed players like Bellamy before and that paid off.  I just don’t agree with downsizing the academy, signing “characters” if they aren’t going to put the club first or bringing maradona here. I’m all for thinking outside the box but there is being innovative and there’s kamakaze and whilst I can agree on some things your saying I also think you need to remember what Blackburn rovers actually is, a proud historic football club in the not so cosmopolitan part of east lancashire. It isn’t thinking small or being defeatist to remember your roots and be proud of what you are. I would rather watch average hard working footballers than try and turn us into a circus for corporate gain and media publicity 

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 2

The circus for corporate gain and media publicity has been tried, tested and failed here and has led us to where we are.

Thinking out of the box is one thing we've never done for 30 years since when Jack did it as he took over. It'll never happen now though previous regimes have only had their own interests at heart and pocketing the club/owners cash. This present one has got itself far too comfortable to rock any boat and threaten that. Even John Williams lost his bottle as time went on not backing Hughes towards the end then Big Sam when he wanted to recreate some of his Bolton days.

• Like 1

Need to get away from the whole "family style marketing as well". It seems like that's the only vision the club has and even that is substandard. It needs to be cooler, more counter culture, more attitude. Even things as simple as playing edgier, cooler music before matches. To be fair Rovers have some good stuff down years (O Fortuna, Final Countdown, Simply the best (still played at Ibrox regularly despite Rangers issues over past few years) but it's not edgy. Paint the stands darker, urban graffiti on the walls (not vulgar) and basically give the stadium a whole makeover. You need to cater to the younger market. People say the fanbase is getting younger overall so gravitate towards them but "family clubs" are not cool. Not saying I'm cool but I know what isn't cool. I'm planning on buying an "anti social social club" hoodie or shirt soon and that's probably the edgiest piece of clothing I will own lol. That's the type of brand with a cult following that could be tapped into by a football club. It's not "anti social" in the sense of kicking people's heads in or getting ASBO's there's several well known people who have been pictured wearing them. You could put an anti-corporate spin on it.

It might be better for a non league club somewhere like London and depend who's involved. Look at "Hashtag United" I wouldn't say they are "counter culture" as such but they are certainly different. If the right person with a big social media following gets involved with a club others may follow. There's a place for a club in East Manchester too which could be exactly the opposite of Salford City. Someone like one of the Gallagher brothers should form a club there.

Edited by Vinjay
  • Like 1

Agree definitely need to focus on the young fans but that's difficult because they've taken all the craic out of it for some. Shutting the DE where youth liked to gather and have banter with away fans is a dropped bollock in that. They aim more for the young kids and families but they just don't seem to want the hassle of youth at Ewood.

Should reopen the DE lower and make a section for 500 16-21 year olds and let it catch on Rovers is the place to be on a Sat afternoon not stood in the town centre or hanging around the streets. To do that they'd have to make it affordable and cater for them on that concourse food, drink, music wise etc. Yes there'd be some dick heads but there always has been yet other clubs seem to handle it, i'll repeat again our lot don't want the bother.

• Like 2

I am with you on a lot of this Vinjay. Rovers have not capitalised on the enthusiasm that the 'success' of promotion from league 1 generated.

The last two seasons have been drab and a lack of any real sign of ambition from the club means that it is losing the interest of many people as readily as it is losing money on a daily basis. The owners lack of interest is permeating down to the fanbase. I don't attend matches at Ewood but i believe the atmosphere is non existant and the match day experience is poor.

New marketing and thinking outside the box are essential to regenerate interest. Obviously an exciting team and success on the field is the best way to get interest up again but I can't see this at the moment. The current pandemic may cause people to realise how unimportatnt football is in the whole scale of things. Many may not return unless the product on offer is improved. Any new ideas will need to by approved in Pune and be presented by Steve Waggott who is only interested in instant financial benefit.so chances of anything exciting happening are slim.

I think what you ( Vinjay ) are hoping for is a St Pauli type set up which really is exciting and has captured the imagination of football fans throughout the world. Football is almost secondary to the fact that people identify with the ethos of the club and it's authenticity as a real 'club' that people feel part of. How I would love that for Rovers. Musicians are queing up to play before and after St Pauli matches and see it as a privilege.

Rovers, as a club, under Venky's is a damp squib.

Anyway, at the moment football is not important but maybe in the future we will get our Rovers back.

Stay safe.

Edited by Crimpshrine
  • Like 2

I think the more time goes on, the possibility of finishing the season becomes more and more unlikely, even behind closed doors, in terms of guaranteeing player safety and using up resources that could be better used elsewhere.

I also accept that as much as I am desperate to watch any football, the notion of having anything like a similar interest and passion in behind closed doors results and matches is probably unlikely. If Rovers somehow got into the top 6 for example, I suspect I would resent the fact that I couldnt go and see the games. Next season should be the priority and salvaging as much it it as is reasonably possible.

Any talk of a conspiracy towards making a decision in any way focused on getting Liverpool the title is absurd though. As much as I dont want them to lift the Premier League.

The QPR Chief Exec, Lee Hoos makes some really good points about the current (and beyond) issues football is facing. He also mentions that season ticket holders may have to be reimbursed.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11711/11980286/coronavirus-qpr-chief-executive-lee-hoos-fears-clubs-are-being-pushed-to-the-brink

14 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The QPR Chief Exec, Lee Hoos makes some really good points about the current (and beyond) issues football is facing. He also mentions that season ticket holders may have to be reimbursed.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11711/11980286/coronavirus-qpr-chief-executive-lee-hoos-fears-clubs-are-being-pushed-to-the-brink

Full of nonsense about FUP. Hypocritical based on past and submissive in present. They should be spitting venom at EFL and UEFA.

Some really good points in this column a few days ago.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8250993/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Newcastles-honeymoon-elite-feel-threatened.html