BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

I think everything especially in the Football League points to finishing the season being unrealistic and I think that would be the correct decision. The amount of tests and other resources needed, the risk of supporters congregating etc make it far too big of a risk. I also think the Premier League should follow the same protocol rather than pie in the sky ideas such as finishing the season off in a different continent. And no bollocks about having extra teams in leagues next season or awarding things on "sporting merit" just call it null and void now distribute the prize money etc and then theres a bit of clarity.

I think it is difficult to announce anything at the moment because the situation is so fluid and we dont have any real idea when it could be safe and realistic especially to allow fans back in again. I have written off fans being able to attend games until at least 2021 but even then something I hadnt factored in was the potential legal and logistical nightmare of opening the doors half way through and teams feeling disadvantaged by that. That would be dissapointing because this season I can understand but the fixtures for next season havent even been drawn yet and you wouldnt want football to be unavailable to fans once the announcement has been made that it is safe for fans to attend again. But it looks like we wont be attending games until August 2021.

Initially the prospect of any football even behind closed doors was an exciting prospect because its better than nothing but I think i am now of a mindset where I am unsure if I would be particularly interested in football behind closed doors, perhaps partly due to a realisaton of its importance or lack of in the grand scheme of things at the moment.

• Like 7

League 1 or 2 clubs have warned they wont survive past the summer due to lack of income from fans. So what's happen to them? Go bust and then communities lose their clubs? 

Government want football back in some capacity as it would help people stay in and morale. 

Also I dont see how you can null and void the season either. Teams like WBA or Leeds would go to court or the  current bottom 3 clubs of Premier league or championship. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

League 1 or 2 clubs have warned they wont survive past the summer due to lack of income from fans. So what's happen to them? Go bust and then communities lose their clubs? 

Government want football back in some capacity as it would help people stay in and morale. 

Also I dont see how you can null and void the season either. Teams like WBA or Leeds would go to court or the  current bottom 3 clubs of Premier league or championship. 

There will be legal issues regardless of how it is settled. If its null and void, those at the top of, in the promotion places or outside the relegation places in their relevant league will probably create legal cases. If it is done on sporting merit that would be a legal minefield. Conversely if the season is finished behind closed doors, teams will argue about advantages and disadvantages, for example Brighton have said that they dont think its fair because they lose home advantage from their surplus of remaining home games.

There is no perfect solution nor any way of avoiding potential legal cases due to the current situation. It certainly isnt black and white to potentially put people at risk (footballers, other parties involved and their respective families) and also use up previous, finite resources.

Unless I am missing something I dont see how playing football behind closed doors would prevent clubs from financial ruin. Agreeing this as soon as possible would allow an agreement to be put in place regarding distribution of prize money, solidarity payments etc. Also, if they play games again surely full wages will need to be paid?

The morale argument is fairly flimsy too. Many people wont be affected because they have no interest in football so this idealistic scenario in which the nation is glued to TVs is unrealistic. Theres also the timebomb of fans congregating, especially outside stadiums which will happen. Will Liverpool fans all peacefully watch from home or will the minority of idiots be desperate to party at the stadium following finally winning a League title? There is also the issue of player welfare. What if players refuse to risk their own health and that of their families for the sake of playing arbitary games in front of no one?

Do you think you will be glued to matches on TV in front of no fans or do you think you would lose interest and place less importance to those games?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

It's a good point but I waiting for the EFL to come up with a plan to finish the championship season. Unsure about league 1 and 2 season. But wats going to happen with promotion and relegation places? 

Premier League been offered to go to Perth to finish season off. Not sure if they will. 

Then after that how do supporters watch the games of Football league clubs? 

What about next season in regards to season tickets, fixtures and everything else? 

Alot of questions, not alot of answers. 

Perth! Why Scotland?

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Perth in Australia. 4 grounds to play games on

Do they not have covid in Australia? Would any quarantine period on return not count 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Between Glasgow and Edinburgh there are 4 x 50,000+ neutral stadia, no need to travel to Australia!

(I'm not advocating that as a solution by the way, just pointing out the folly of the Perth suggestion)

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

There will be legal issues regardless of how it is settled. If its null and void, those at the top of, in the promotion places or outside the relegation places in their relevant league will probably create legal cases. If it is done on sporting merit that would be a legal minefield. Conversely if the season is finished behind closed doors, teams will argue about advantages and disadvantages, for example Brighton have said that they dont think its fair because they lose home advantage from their surplus of remaining home games.

There is no perfect solution nor any way of avoiding potential legal cases due to the current situation. It certainly isnt black and white to potentially put people at risk (footballers, other parties involved and their respective families) and also use up previous, finite resources.

Unless I am missing something I dont see how playing football behind closed doors would prevent clubs from financial ruin. Agreeing this as soon as possible would allow an agreement to be put in place regarding distribution of prize money, solidarity payments etc. Also, if they play games again surely full wages will need to be paid?

The morale argument is fairly flimsy too. Many people wont be affected because they have no interest in football so this idealistic scenario in which the nation is glued to TVs is unrealistic. Theres also the timebomb of fans congregating, especially outside stadiums which will happen. Will Liverpool fans all peacefully watch from home or will the minority of idiots be desperate to party at the stadium following finally winning a League title? There is also the issue of player welfare. What if players refuse to risk their own health and that of their families for the sake of playing arbitary games in front of no one?

Do you think you will be glued to matches on TV in front of no fans or do you think you would lose interest and place less importance to those games?

There will be massive issues with legal issues whether it clubs or TV Companies want money returned for no games. 

That's why I would be more in taking it to Australia, Perth, where they have no cases for the last 5 days. They have offered the PL a route out the problem. Also less testing of players would be needed. I would be looking into this idea and seeing how viable it is.

Maybe Football league clubs would be able to charge for the TV coverage through ifollow or their club website of each club whether they could some revenue even if not fans inside the ground. Without signification money from the Football league and money from Premier League clubs you are going to lose around 10 to 15 football clubs cos of this crisis. 

Preston are campaigning for clubs who have deferral wages to be issued transfer bans. So clearly they aren't bothered about other clubs looking after non football workers and paying them. A transfer ban would caused major issues for clubs who need to sell players to meet FFP targets. 

You are always going to get minority of idiots out whatever you do. 

No I would be glued to the TV watching football. Most of friends and family are missing football(or other sports) so if they would watching. Since being furlough by my work company I have been plenty of the Premier League years(which Rovers were in), The clips on here of the 92/93 and 93/94 seasons so far, plus other sporting programmes on tv, aswell films and TV Shows.

22 minutes ago, rigger said:

Do they not have covid in Australia? Would any quarantine period on return not count 

Why don't you spend time looking to the Perth, Australia football idea?

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

Nobody is going to be buying season tickets this summer for a season that is likely to be played behind closed doors.  Personally, I wouldn't step foot in a football stadium until one or the other is operating.  There is no way you can do social distancing in any ground - just passing someone to get to your seat puts paid to that.

Social distancing is going to be with us well into next year so quite how footballers play a game whilst staying one or two metres apart is beyond me whether games are behind closed doors or not.  I fully understand why players are reluctant to put their own and the health of their loved ones on the line.  There is no way that the authorities should be asking them to do that - particularly if money for clubs is the driving force.  At the end of the day the health of players and everyone else involved in putting on games is far more important than finishing this season or starting the next one. 

When frontline workers can't get PPE equipment and testing is still very hit and miss it would be criminal to put those resources into football.  Ultimately, lives are far more important than football.

Season tickets whether you are going to the stadium or watching on TV or on the internet is my thought. 

The Premier League is willing to buying the Test kits for virus to test players after every game without asking the government to pay or be involve the process. 

What your view on the PL Perth Australia idea? 

what about EFL clubs that have warned they will be go bust after the summer? how do we help their out? Does the EFL have the funds to support all the EFL clubs who are going to struggle to survive or do we face the fact that some clubs will go under?

6 hours ago, Giant said:

If some of the PL clubs want to finish the season just playing for places with no relegation, there is absolutely no point in completing the Championship fixtures. If all leagues are to finish they must do so with promotion and relegation, otherwise it’s a waste of time. 

so 90odd friendlies whats the point, void the season and split the parachute payments that the relegated teams would have got between the championship.

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

There will be massive issues with legal issues whether it clubs or TV Companies want money returned for no games. 

That's why I would be more in taking it to Australia, Perth, where they have no cases for the last 5 days. They have offered the PL a route out the problem. Also less testing of players would be needed. I would be looking into this idea and seeing how viable it is.

Maybe Football league clubs would be able to charge for the TV coverage through ifollow or their club website of each club whether they could some revenue even if not fans inside the ground. Without signification money from the Football league and money from Premier League clubs you are going to lose around 10 to 15 football clubs cos of this crisis. 

Preston are campaigning for clubs who have deferral wages to be issued transfer bans. So clearly they aren't bothered about other clubs looking after non football workers and paying them. A transfer ban would caused major issues for clubs who need to sell players to meet FFP targets. 

No I would be glued to the TV watching football. Most of friends and family are missing football(or other sports) so if they would watching. Since being furlough by my work company I have been plenty of the Premier League years(which Rovers were in), The clips on here of the 92/93 and 93/94 seasons so far, plus other sporting programmes on tv, aswell films and TV Shows.

There will be legal ramifications no matter which route they go down. There is also the logistical issues of trying to squeeze in the rest of the season in that I think would already be over now before starting and preparing for the next season.

There has to be an element of joined up thinking too, it makes little sense for the Premier League to finish abroad, but even if that is possible, which for many reasons seems difficult, the EFL is very unlikely to finish. So what happens with relegation? Opening an unnecessary can of worms. Divisions with varying numbers of teams are a crazy idea, and if there can be no relegation then there is little point in finishing it anyway.

The clubs whose financial sustainability may be in doubt are obviously those further down the pyramid than the Premier League. Even if the Premier League can be finished in god knows which area of the world, if that can be done safely, which seems impossible to me, all 3 EFL Leagues surely cant, so the point about various incomes eg ifollow is moot. Plus would people pay for ifollow subscriptions for a few games that potentially they had already paid for with a season ticket, and would the income for them be anything but minimal? I doubt it.

I personally think that the current season should be immediately declared null and void across the English Leagues, prize money etc can then be distributed. The focus can then be on next season, so theres an element of downtime now, and of course plenty of time before we need to decide what will become of next season. I think it would be a financially driven selfish lust for entertainment to start squeezing in games like people are trying to propose, totally against the safety of all involved, and 

Every reason that supports trying to finish the season has a stronger counterargument. The fanciful idea that it will bring the country together and boost morale is naive, indeed it would just cause an increased risk of unnecessary gatherings, either with people not within their households or even at stadiums. Maybe putting it on free to air TV would reduce that risk, but that would mean the TV Companies will still kick up a fuss. Any suggestion that legal reasons should push the idea to finish the season are equally flimsy because regardless of what is decided, there will be legal ramifications either way and these simply cannot be avoided, nor can they be prioritised anyway over public safety. I see no reason to finish the leagues. Its unfortunate but its an unprecedented situation.

Would the players be willing to uproot for a couple of months to do this radical idea, has that been considered? 

I suspect the novelty of having football to watch at all, which we are all eager to watch, would wane somewhat considering that no matter what happens during the season, no one will be able to go and see it. 

• Moderation Lead

Behind closed doors football is an absolutely pathetic idea, especially abroad IMO.

Get it finished over here, in front of stadiums with fans, or just null and void it, if that’s not possible. 

Just proves that money is more important than the supporters, as if there was any doubt! 
Also, re the Preston comments- I think that relates to their manager saying that clubs who have furloughed staff, therefore saving money, shouldn’t then be allowed to smash loads of transfer fees when the season restarts. Seems fair enough to me tbh.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Because it will not happen 

47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Season tickets whether you are going to the stadium or watching on TV or on the internet is my thought. 

The Premier League is willing to buying the Test kits for virus to test players after every game without asking the government to pay or be involve the process. 

what about EFL clubs that have warned they will be go bust after the summer? how do we help their out? Does the EFL have the funds to support all the EFL clubs who are going to struggle to survive or do we face the fact that some clubs will go under?

It seems clear that next season will be behind closed doors - if it takes place.  But ultimately, social distancing means that football cannot take place without putting the health of players at risk and, quite rightly, players are now objecting.  The Government has today given plans for people in their workplace in the coming months and social distancing is a key part of that.  Would you really expect football not to follow the health advice?  

As for PPE equipment - there is a worldwide shortage so how do you justify it being used by football clubs?  Tests need to go where they are needed not to football clubs even if the PL want to pay for them.

Why would any player put themselves on a long haul flight to Australia in the present situation - particularly as the government is advising against such travel.

It may well be that some clubs go under during the next eighteen months - there are any number of businesses that will struggle to survive so football is not alone.  Health is far more important than football chaddy.  This virus has put the importance of football into perspective - compared to the lives of loved ones it's not important at all. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I sincerely hope after the furore over the lack of testing kits that the 'moneybags' PL aren't allowed to enter a Dutch Auction for them and in turn deprive people far more worthy of testing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

There will be legal ramifications no matter which route they go down. There is also the logistical issues of trying to squeeze in the rest of the season in that I think would already be over now before starting and preparing for the next season.

There has to be an element of joined up thinking too, it makes little sense for the Premier League to finish abroad, but even if that is possible, which for many reasons seems difficult, the EFL is very unlikely to finish. So what happens with relegation? Opening an unnecessary can of worms. Divisions with varying numbers of teams are a crazy idea, and if there can be no relegation then there is little point in finishing it anyway.

The clubs whose financial sustainability may be in doubt are obviously those further down the pyramid than the Premier League. Even if the Premier League can be finished in god knows which area of the world, if that can be done safely, which seems impossible to me, all 3 EFL Leagues surely cant, so the point about various incomes eg ifollow is moot. Plus would people pay for ifollow subscriptions for a few games that potentially they had already paid for with a season ticket, and would the income for them be anything but minimal? I doubt it.

I personally think that the current season should be immediately declared null and void across the English Leagues, prize money etc can then be distributed. The focus can then be on next season, so theres an element of downtime now, and of course plenty of time before we need to decide what will become of next season. I think it would be a financially driven selfish lust for entertainment to start squeezing in games like people are trying to propose, totally against the safety of all involved, and 

Every reason that supports trying to finish the season has a stronger counterargument. The fanciful idea that it will bring the country together and boost morale is naive, indeed it would just cause an increased risk of unnecessary gatherings, either with people not within their households or even at stadiums. Maybe putting it on free to air TV would reduce that risk, but that would mean the TV Companies will still kick up a fuss. Any suggestion that legal reasons should push the idea to finish the season are equally flimsy because regardless of what is decided, there will be legal ramifications either way and these simply cannot be avoided, nor can they be prioritised anyway over public safety. I see no reason to finish the leagues. Its unfortunate but its an unprecedented situation.

Would the players be willing to uproot for a couple of months to do this radical idea, has that been considered? 

I suspect the novelty of having football to watch at all, which we are all eager to watch, would wane somewhat considering that no matter what happens during the season, no one will be able to go and see it. 

Look focus on getting this season done and dusted before we start thinking when next season will start and finish 1st. Tho, I would think that you wouldn't need a long summer break but maybe a couple of weeks. 

It makes little sense for the Premier League to finish? well some PL players clubs are already back in training and I believe that Italian and Spanish clubs players will be back training next week also. On the EFL point, It is going to be interesting to see how the EFL work out promotion and relegation spots and will it happen. Alot for CEO Rick Parry and his board member to sort out. Amiens in French football has asked the Football authorities to look again about relegation them cos the season finish early, and I read last week that Lyon are looking at taking the French Football authorities to court over his place ruling. I can see many clubs doing it here if it doesn't go in their favour. 

How do you sort out positions in league and who gets promotion and relegation in all 4 leagues if you null and void the season? 

Without football still people are doing unnecessary gatherings without football or other sports. So it doesn't need football for that to happen. 

They have been meetings between the Government, EFL, PL and FA about putting some football on free to air like Quest tv, the Pick channel which Sky put on freeview. 

Well many clubs have pre season tours overseas for a 2 or 3 weeks during pre season is it much different than going to Perth in Australia for around 6 or 7 weeks. 

Football has to become a TV sport for the next 6 to 12 months which mostly it is anyway when you see games on TV at weekend at least 3 to 6 PL games on tv over a weekend, what EFL clubs do about TV coverage? I don't know that why I suggested that online tv season ticket for some of the season might be a way to go. 

42 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I sincerely hope after the furore over the lack of testing kits that the 'moneybags' PL aren't allowed to enter a Dutch Auction for them and in turn deprive people far more worthy of testing.

I read somewhere that Premier League would fund the tests. I will try to find the article I read last week I think

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

It seems clear that next season will be behind closed doors - if it takes place.  But ultimately, social distancing means that football cannot take place without putting the health of players at risk and, quite rightly, players are now objecting.  The Government has today given plans for people in their workplace in the coming months and social distancing is a key part of that.  Would you really expect football not to follow the health advice?  

As for PPE equipment - there is a worldwide shortage so how do you justify it being used by football clubs?  Tests need to go where they are needed not to football clubs even if the PL want to pay for them.

Why would any player put themselves on a long haul flight to Australia in the present situation - particularly as the government is advising against such travel.

It may well be that some clubs go under during the next eighteen months - there are any number of businesses that will struggle to survive so football is not alone.  Health is far more important than football chaddy.  This virus has put the importance of football into perspective - compared to the lives of loved ones it's not important at all. 

It will be interesting to see how games go in Spain and Italy which will go ahead shortly supposedly go. 

yourself and Roversfan99 have made good valid points why not to restart football until next season. I listened to Gary Neville last week on Sky who was against restarting football unless we can keep safe. 

I guess what I am trying to say is I'm after is a plan going forward and this is way we are going to move forward with football in this country.

all football clubs are businesses and always have been. Some clubs have warned that they cant restart this season and without fans money cant go forward next season. So like I said above I after a plan from the EFL to protect these clubs and their fans base. 

28 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Look focus on getting this season done and dusted before we start thinking when next season will start and finish 1st. Tho, I would think that you wouldn't need a long summer break but maybe a couple of weeks. 

It makes little sense for the Premier League to finish? well some PL players clubs are already back in training and I believe that Italian and Spanish clubs players will be back training next week also. On the EFL point, It is going to be interesting to see how the EFL work out promotion and relegation spots and will it happen. Alot for CEO Rick Parry and his board member to sort out. Amiens in French football has asked the Football authorities to look again about relegation them cos the season finish early, and I read last week that Lyon are looking at taking the French Football authorities to court over his place ruling. I can see many clubs doing it here if it doesn't go in their favour. 

How do you sort out positions in league and who gets promotion and relegation in all 4 leagues if you null and void the season? 

Without football still people are doing unnecessary gatherings without football or other sports. So it doesn't need football for that to happen. 

They have been meetings between the Government, EFL, PL and FA about putting some football on free to air like Quest tv, the Pick channel which Sky put on freeview. 

Well many clubs have pre season tours overseas for a 2 or 3 weeks during pre season is it much different than going to Perth in Australia for around 6 or 7 weeks. 

Football has to become a TV sport for the next 6 to 12 months which mostly it is anyway when you see games on TV at weekend at least 3 to 6 PL games on tv over a weekend, what EFL clubs do about TV coverage? I don't know that why I suggested that online tv season ticket for some of the season might be a way to go. 

Ultimately this question should be well down the list of priorities but its a fair one. If the season is null and void it essentially doesnt exist, no promotions, no relegations, start next season with the same teams in the same divisions. Its unfortunate, but its the only way, in terms of health, safety and even logistically. Going to Australia for example, you have the feelings of the players as you are banking on 100% co-operation, you are assuming that there is 0% risk in Australia, and even if that got finished there, you wouldnt be able to do the Championship too so it wouldnt resolve promotion/relegation. The last day of our season would have been yesterday, to put into context of the logistical nightmare that would ensue even if it was safe now.

Legal reasons are NOT a reason to make a certain decision, as not only are they certainly down the list in terms of importance, but they are unavoidable however the season is ended/not ended. An equal amount of teams will feel hard done by no matter what.

The FA should show some leadership and null and void the season now. You have teams coming in doing half arsed training sessions knowing full well that the date of the supposed restart is not feasible, but potentially increasing the risk. I think Mowbray said as much yesterday. That way, they can still stay somewhat in shape individually from home without increasing any risk, and there is a good couple of months whereby no further decision has to be rushed, and without the desperation to finish the 19/20 season hanging over like a cloud. The prize money can be agreed, ideally in a way whereby the Premier League money can trickle down effectively to keep lower clubs afloat, and distributed as soon as possible, another thing which will be delayed by trying to finish the season.

The issue obviously wont go away before the start of next season, but we dont know the exact date when fans can attend games, even assuming that it will be safe before the end of next season. There is obviously plenty of time hopefully for clubs to come to an agreement whereby before the fixtures are arranged, games will be played behind closed doors until (and if) its safe to allow fans in. It is not essential but that would hopefully remove any legal ramifications from teams feeling they are disadvantaged, whilst not increasing the amount of time that supporters can not attend, and of course the financial issues that would be caused.

I do appreciate and empathise with your desperation to get the football back but it just doesnt seem possible any time soon, and some clarity and a firm and immediate decision to null and void the season would be a big step in the right direction.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Ultimately this question should be well down the list of priorities but its a fair one. If the season is null and void it essentially doesnt exist, no promotions, no relegations, start next season with the same teams in the same divisions. Its unfortunate, but its the only way, in terms of health, safety and even logistically. Going to Australia for example, you have the feelings of the players as you are banking on 100% co-operation, you are assuming that there is 0% risk in Australia, and even if that got finished there, you wouldnt be able to do the Championship too so it wouldnt resolve promotion/relegation. The last day of our season would have been yesterday, to put into context of the logistical nightmare that would ensue even if it was safe now.

Legal reasons are NOT a reason to make a certain decision, as not only are they certainly down the list in terms of importance, but they are unavoidable however the season is ended/not ended. An equal amount of teams will feel hard done by no matter what.

The FA should show some leadership and null and void the season now. You have teams coming in doing half arsed training sessions knowing full well that the date of the supposed restart is not feasible, but potentially increasing the risk. I think Mowbray said as much yesterday. That way, they can still stay somewhat in shape individually from home without increasing any risk, and there is a good couple of months whereby no further decision has to be rushed, and without the desperation to finish the 19/20 season hanging over like a cloud. The prize money can be agreed, ideally in a way whereby the Premier League money can trickle down effectively to keep lower clubs afloat, and distributed as soon as possible, another thing which will be delayed by trying to finish the season.

The issue obviously wont go away before the start of next season, but we dont know the exact date when fans can attend games, even assuming that it will be safe before the end of next season. There is obviously plenty of time hopefully for clubs to come to an agreement whereby before the fixtures are arranged, games will be played behind closed doors until (and if) its safe to allow fans in. It is not essential but that would hopefully remove any legal ramifications from teams feeling they are disadvantaged, whilst not increasing the amount of time that supporters can not attend, and of course the financial issues that would be caused.

I do appreciate and empathise with your desperation to get the football back but it just doesnt seem possible any time soon, and some clarity and a firm and immediate decision to null and void the season would be a big step in the right direction.

Like I said before it more about having a plan and way forward into decide what happens to this season and next season to terms number of different things. 

I feel we are only one back decision from PL, FA and EFL before we see a number of law suits coming forward and going to the courts. It will have to be Government who made the decision to end the season and wont let football restart until next season. But as we have 2 French clubs have voiced concerns over different things but over the season ending the way it did. resulting in one club being relegation. 

Also Premier League have a problem over the TV rights as TV Companies from around have paid for a full season and that hasn't happen. With them funding alot of the PL clubs and wages of the players. So I can where they are coming from. 

Yes I do want football and other sports aswell back as soon as possible health and safety wise. But that's should come first

There is alot of questions that need answering but I'm not sure we get much before that next 2 weeks when we find the PM Johnson and the government plan going forward and how they want sport to move forward. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

A “controlled pause” might be a the way out of this.

There is no vaccine likely until next year, which is at least halfway through the season. This means social distancing will be required for at least another 8-10 months and no crowds at games. So there is plenty of time to spare in between.

Restart the 2019/20 season in February or March 2021 and call it season 2019-21 (2020 is the year that never was for the rest of us anyway) and finish the matches that are currently left.

PL players don’t get paid until the season restarts next year - although their own clubs make sure they aren’t destitute and also pay for their training regimes, contracts are extended by 12 months.

Each PL club and/or Sky/BT puts their money into a big pot which funds the wages and hibernation/maintenance costs for the Championship, L1 and L2 clubs for the intervening period. At a fraction of the cost of their own wages.

Agents (and people like Roy Keane) will fight tooth and nail against this of course because they “deserve” to get paid on their contracts.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

bit more info on the idea

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/premier-league/australia-is-ideal-premier-league-clubs-in-talks-to-finish-season-in-perth/news-story/8a02c3defcf68f621f65cb3663a668b8

*Just to add to the above , the State Premier said in his press conference yesterday that he had not been approached by either the agent trying to organise it , sport west or the premier league.

As silly an idea as it sounds , I'm against it by the way, some points in my view as to why it is being proposed and on paper could happen

Currently the Weather (we are in late Autumn, Winter starts in June) is ideal for football. Occasionally a day in the top 20's c / lower 80's f) but the rest is moderate think early UK summer, winter nights it very rarely drops below 0)

Perth is pretty isolated as it is, borders are locked down (External and Internal) and has a low population per sq kilometre in the Greater Perth area.

We have low transmission rates (excluding those from cruise ships)  https://ww2.health.wa.gov.au/Articles/A_E/Coronavirus/COVID19-statistics

The WA covid response is being driven by the state premier and state government , not the knobheads at federal level. So it as been fairly successful and sensible

There are more than enough bases available to use as training bases and currently empty facilities (, other sporting codes ,hotels) etc to accomodate squads and staff. At a push these could also be additional venues that could host games to shorten the time span. For instance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Australian_Athletics_Stadium  Not ideal for spectator viewing of a footy match ( went to a FFA cup game there couple of years ago) but would work behind closed doors.

The infrastructure is very good . For instance to get from the main City roughly the bottom of the Greater Perth (Mandura )area to the one at top (Joondalup) on a good day is an hour by coach on a bad day an hour twenty.(our speed limits are slightly lower here than in the UK, Motorway works out at 62 mph)

Broadcast facilities are already in place and currently not being used . The return of the Rugby here would still leave enough available

They would probably use the model that it is currently being used in the rugby League for the New Zealand team and the Au teams on the East Coast. Two week isolation upon arrival and daily checks https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-02/coronavirus-new-zealand-warriors-nrl-australia-travel-permission/12208602

Edited by perthblue02

Why would Australia after nailing Covid 19 want to open its borders to 20 English footie teams who cant play their games in England due to infection ..and run the risk of undoing all the hard work in combating Covid 19 on their own turf? .IF for any reason there was another outbreak in Australia and was linked back to this proposed footie invasion  god forbid the ramifications ..i dont think for one minute the Australian Govt would even give this a moments thought. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Why would Australia after nailing Covid 19 want to open its borders to 20 English footie teams who cant play their games in England due to infection ..and run the risk of undoing all the hard work in combating Covid 19 on their own turf? .IF for any reason there was another outbreak in Australia and was linked back to this proposed footie invasion  god forbid the ramifications ..i dont think for one minute the Australian Govt would even give this a moments thought. 

That is one of the reasons why I'm against it.

As for the Australian federal government they don't give a shit (see cruise ships) they just want the economy back on track and are busy bribing people to download their 3 million dollar placebo  ,but as for the Western Australia State government, if they give the go ahead I would be hopeful  considering their actions so far ,that they would have measures in place for the above scenario not to happen.

It is the measures by the State Governments that have helped drop the curve NOT the Federal Government who have been brought to the table kicking and screaming 

Edited by perthblue02