BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

5 hours ago, HowieFive0 said:

Season ticket ? Who's buying a season ticket with the prospect of being locked out potentially for half a season if not more.

And the old one that keeps getting rolled out on here  ."If people stop going they get out of going and find other things to do "..(and thats when footie is available to watch at a reasonable  -ish price but people are bored of the football)..what sort of  fan base will be left when the turnstiles do click open  

As stated recently I would let fans in for free or as cheaply as allowed. If you want to attract an edgier, cooler fanbase that's probably what it would take. Could apply to virtually any Championship club (and even some lower half EPL ones) if you're not allowed to chase the best (and billionaires are virtually at point of cancelling each other out) then be the most interesting and controversial.  It's what I would do and if it upset the existing fans...so be it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, arbitro said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11983295/premier-league-gordon-taylor-raises-possibility-of-shorter-halves-for-season-resumption

The septuagenarian PFA boss spouts more of his nonsense. The PL have said it's a complete non starter by the way.

I heard him on the radio. He's become an embarrassment to football and to himself. He should have packed it in years ago.

• Like 1

Most of those clubs that are facing bankruptcy should really be admitted right back to the division they came from. They can just form a new holding company and take it from there. OK you might not be able to save every single one of them in a short space of time but others would see someone step in. Especially if they had some guarantees of league status. I can't see why anyone would disagree with that and it can be made clear in the extreme circumstances such allowances can be made. I'm not sure how it would apply to the one football league club that was kicked out of the league recently but "before" and "after" are very different things. One scientist said it would be like "BC" and "AD" in scientific terms.

32 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I heard him on the radio. He's become an embarrassment to football and to himself. He should have packed it in years ago.

He's a £2 million a year embarrassment. No wonder he's hanging on

I remain unconvinced that the German league will go ahead as planned, would a player testing positive cause that fixture or indeed the whole league to be called off? Are the players 100% willing to co-operate and play, presuming that many are fearful for their health?

I appreciate that Germany is a totally different country that seems to have controlled things better than here for example but I am dubious at the moment. And if it does go ahead, in front of empty stadiums presumably with masks on and with an element of fear, surely the competitive edge will be somewhat lost. We will see.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I remain unconvinced that the German league will go ahead as planned, would a player testing positive cause that fixture or indeed the whole league to be called off? Are the players 100% willing to co-operate and play, presuming that many are fearful for their health?

I appreciate that Germany is a totally different country that seems to have controlled things better than here for example but I am dubious at the moment. And if it does go ahead, in front of empty stadiums presumably with masks on and with an element of fear, surely the competitive edge will be somewhat lost. We will see.

The German government have given their approval to the football ahead. 

Will be interesting to see what PM Johnson and Government says on Sunday night about sport in general. 

I wouldn't be surprise if Championship games go ahead but I expect league 1 and 2 will end now. 

On 05/05/2020 at 17:30, HowieFive0 said:

Danny Graham in 10 months time anyone ?? So we re a striker down straight away ..

I was thinking about that the other day. Sad to say it but you have to fear that we may not see the likes of Danny or Stewart Downing kick a ball for us again. It's going to be very hard for those older lads to regain any kind of conditioning or sharpness.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You also have the issue of how many positive covid 19 tests does a team need to call off the game. When I was young if 3 or more players were called up for internationals then the game was postponed. Will a similar thing happen with covid 19 tests? And if not what does that do to the sporting integrity of the competition. 

The move I believe is quite contraversial as there is feeling the testing should go to their health services and other more important causes. 

58 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The German government have given their approval to the football ahead. 

Will be interesting to see what PM Johnson and Government says on Sunday night about sport in general. 

I wouldn't be surprise if Championship games go ahead but I expect league 1 and 2 will end now. 

44 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

You also have the issue of how many positive covid 19 tests does a team need to call off the game. When I was young if 3 or more players were called up for internationals then the game was postponed. Will a similar thing happen with covid 19 tests? And if not what does that do to the sporting integrity of the competition. 

The move I believe is quite contraversial as there is feeling the testing should go to their health services and other more important causes. 

But even if the German government has given their approval, there are so many questions to be answered as Blue blood mentions here, and things that could crop up (quite likely) such as players contracting the virus before the first game, what rules are in place ie does one player testing positive cause a cancellation, or do a certain number have to get it, its just a minefield. Players from the position of a very limited training period after a break, playing in masks in an empty stadium, lets say one of the players in the league as a minimum contracts the virus too between now and the season, I dont see how both the competitve edge and as Blue blood mentions the sporting integrity can be maintained, players knowing they are at risk of catching the virus and taking it home putting their family in danger.

Another thing that I am not sure that has been considered is the opinions of the players. In England quite rightly a lot of media focus has turned to the welfare of the players with silly ideas like moving to Australia to play, shortening halves etc, there is no way that I can accept that every single player either here or in Germany is 100% happy and content to return to playing so soon. 

You mention the Championship chaddy, youve still the same problem regarding relegation to and promotion from League 1, makes no sense.

I miss being able to watch and play football and would love to see it as soon as possible but I just cannot fathom how considering its nature and the nature of the virus, how its return can be considered enough of a priority to overcome the risks and the issues that it brings up.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But even if the German government has given their approval, there are so many questions to be answered as Blue blood mentions here, and things that could crop up (quite likely) such as players contracting the virus before the first game, what rules are in place ie does one player testing positive cause a cancellation, or do a certain number have to get it, its just a minefield. Players from the position of a very limited training period after a break, playing in masks in an empty stadium, lets say one of the players in the league as a minimum contracts the virus too between now and the season, I dont see how both the competitve edge and as Blue blood mentions the sporting integrity can be maintained, players knowing they are at risk of catching the virus and taking it home putting their family in danger.

Another thing that I am not sure that has been considered is the opinions of the players. In England quite rightly a lot of media focus has turned to the welfare of the players with silly ideas like moving to Australia to play, shortening halves etc, there is no way that I can accept that every single player either here or in Germany is 100% happy and content to return to playing so soon. 

You mention the Championship chaddy, youve still the same problem regarding relegation to and promotion from League 1, makes no sense.

I miss being able to watch and play football and would love to see it as soon as possible but I just cannot fathom how considering its nature and the nature of the virus, how its return can be considered enough of a priority to overcome the risks and the issues that it brings up.

Some League 1 clubs have said they cant restarted cos majority of their players are out of contract at end of this month. The EFL Chiefs will meet on Monday to discuss further plans

some PL clubs are backing into training already. 

German league chiefs and Government officials have bought in a raft of measures including the continuous monitoring and testing of players. The German FA and league chiefs will meet tomorrow to discuss further details. Teams will also have to spend time in quarantine before games can restart. I wonder if the British government will announce similar measures on Sunday night. 

• Backroom

If Germany get matches up and running early, BT Sport could be sat on a goldmine. 

Borossia Dortmund v Bayern Munich in the title race is due 3 matches in on the original fixtures. 

The viewing figures would surely be off the chart. Which would mean advertising revenue would be stratospheric. 

I looked this up:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/top-5-most-watched-premier-21158602.amp

The most watched Premier League match is Man City 1-0 Man Utd, 2012 (4.04 million).

Under the current circumstances I can't see how a top level German match doesn't smash that record. A relegation battle fixture might even do it.

Some TV companies are going to be making serious money. Would be nice if some of that was pumped back into the sport. Although, I'm sure they would argue they've lost a shed load in the shutdown. 

Edited by Silas
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Silas said:

If Germany get matches up and running early, BT Sport could be sat on a goldmine. 

Borossia Dortmund v Bayern Munich in the title race is due 3 matches in on the original fixtures. 

The viewing figures would surely be off the chart. Which would mean advertising revenue would be stratospheric. 

I looked this up:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/top-5-most-watched-premier-21158602.amp

The most watched Premier League match is Man City 1-0 Man Utd, 2012 (4.04 million).

Under the current circumstances I can't see how a top level German match doesn't smash that record. A relegation battle fixture might even do it.

Some TV companies are going to be making serious money. Would be nice if some of that was pumped back into the sport. Although, I'm sure they would argue they've lost a shed load in the shutdown. 

This is why the Prem will vote to restart next week. They'll not want the Germans to corner the market on lucre. I assume that the football league will follow suit.

"Project restart" needs 14 of the 20 teams to vote for the league's proposals. No fans at neutral grounds (those that aren't in residential areas) seems to be the way they are going. Ignoring a plethora of arguments I'll assume that those close to the bottom would be the most eager to cancel and start again once all is "safe".

Here's the current bottom 7, Villa have played 1 game less than the rest. 

Southampton 34

Brighton 29

West Ham 27

Watford 27

Bournemouth 27

Villa 25

Norwich 21

Would all of the bottom 6 vote to cancel the restart? I'm sure owners would but managers and players would rather play, knowing that it could end in relegation anyway. I reckon that Southampton will vote to finish up as they have enough of a buffer to stay safe which would give the league the 14 they need.

Man U, 3 points off 4th, could potentially put a fly in the ointment. But if they voted no they'd miss out on earning necessary revenue this season, something the Glazer's would be mad to do, and they'd blow their chance of claiming 4th, which is certainly up for grabs.

I also wonder how much governmental pressure clubs are under to finish up? It would definitely give people a lift if football starts again. Not only would it give a lot of people something new to watch but it would give football and the government plenty of good press. 

When Cologne returned to training for the German league three players tested positive. This immediately puts Cologne at a disadvantage as those players end up self isolating and behind in their training schedule. So if that happens to a club at either end of the league could make difference between European qualification or relegation. It is not like a player picking up an injury in training.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Depends what safeguards and precautions will be put in place by the FA, PL and Government. 

wait and see what discussions happen and what is put in place. 

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Depends what safeguards and precautions will be put in place by the FA, PL and Government. 

wait and see what discussions happen and what is put in place. 

You can never escape the fact that they will be playing a contact sport and are at risk of contracting the virus, regardless of precautions, safeguards and discussions theres only so much you can do. If players are unwilling which I can totally understand then it shouldnt and wont go ahead.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You can never escape the fact that they will be playing a contact sport and are at risk of contracting the virus, regardless of precautions, safeguards and discussions theres only so much you can do. If players are unwilling which I can totally understand then it shouldnt and wont go ahead.

From what I understand Clubs and PL want to finish the season. Some Players want to get back players so wont. 

Like I said wait and see what the government announce on Sunday and what the PL meeting on Monday comes up with. 

I guess we will look at the German model how they doing it. 

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

From what I understand Clubs and PL want to finish the season. Some Players want to get back players so wont. 

Like I said wait and see what the government announce on Sunday and what the PL meeting on Monday comes up with. 

I guess we will look at the German model how they doing it. 

The clubs cant make players play against their will, its easy for some blokes in suits whether at the FA or in government to discuss it and allow it when its not them playing. If a decent enough amount of players dont want to, and if its true that players from 9 of 20 teams have shown reservations, then quite simply how can it go on?

• Like 1