BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The clubs cant make players play against their will, its easy for some blokes in suits whether at the FA or in government to discuss it and allow it when its not them playing. If a decent enough amount of players dont want to, and if its true that players from 9 of 20 teams have shown reservations, then quite simply how can it go on?

Wait and see what plans are unveil first. Stop rushing and wait and see what plans and structure are put in place. Still a month before the rumour start date. 

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wait and see what plans are unveil first. Stop rushing and wait and see what plans and structure are put in place. Still a month before the rumour start date. 

My point is that I don't believe that any sort of plan or structure can prevent the high risk of the virus being spread playing a contact sport. I also believe that a predictable and understandable less than 100% willingness on the players behalf will further jeopardise the integrity and potentially stop any plans coming to fruition.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

My point is that I don't believe that any sort of plan or structure can prevent the high risk of the virus being spread playing a contact sport. I also believe that a predictable and understandable less than 100% willingness on the players behalf will further jeopardise the integrity and potentially stop any plans coming to fruition.

Well that's the case then we might have to wait to vaccine which could be years if we find one. What happens if we dont? Shut football completely down for ever?

Do Footballers deserve a vaccine before the majority of people? Of course NHS and Social Care staff plus the elderly and most valuable people 1st. 

☝
5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well that's the case then we might have to wait to vaccine which could be years if we find one. What happens if we dont? Shut football completely down for ever?

Do Footballers deserve a vaccine before the majority of people? Of course NHS and Social Care staff plus the elderly and most valuable people 1st. 

NO and thats a big f-ing NO

• Like 1

It's a bit academic arguing about who gets a vaccine when there isn't one. Did you perhaps mean tests? Footballers might as well have tests right now as we don't seem to be able to find enough people to take them at the moment.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I see both sides on this and luckily I'm not the person tasked with finding a solution.

Players value their health so want to be sure.

Also players are supremely fit and highly unlikely (although it is possible) that if they do get the virus they'll get seriously ill.

Charlie Austin and Mikel Arteta are two people in football known to have had it. What were their symptoms?

I've read that clubs have put massive proposals together to figure it out. Testing players regularly, PPE for all staff, and even a special exemption for old man Roy Hodgson.

Surely if the Germans can do it Blighty can too. After all it's 75 years since VE day.

Edited by speeeeeeedie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

“With its emotion”?

No crowd

No noise

No atmosphere

No goal celebrations

It’s going to be a hoot. :rolleyes: 

There are people who need to get back to work far more urgently than overpaid footballers.

What a crock. This is ALL about the money.

The Germans have trumped Trump.

I didn't think that was remotely possible in the known universe.

This is not a political statement, rather a comment on Humankind in general.

39 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

The Dutch government gets it and has been clear for the population that you will need to have been vaccinated to be able to attend

They have been really proactive and decisive. Our football authorities and Government are ponderous and driven by a different agenda as far as football is concerned.

• Like 4

Of course it is the optimum decision for public health. And as if we didn’t know already, this pandemic has proven that it is only a game 

However, potential vaccines are renowned for failing, so it takes 2/3 years for mass vaccinations and fans to return, what then?

Most clubs will surely have long gone.

Edited by Mattyblue

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

They have been really proactive and decisive. Our football authorities and Government are ponderous and driven by a different agenda as far as football is concerned.

Money rather than health and well being is what is driving the agenda for football in this country.  Personally, I've been totally disillusioned and disgusted by the actions of our footballing authorities over this.  There is no reason why this season can't be finished behind closed doors in September and October when the demand for PPE equipment and tests may not be as great.  It's not like there will be any great urgency to start next season when it's likely to be played behind closed doors anyway.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Money rather than health and well being is what is driving the agenda for football in this country.  Personally, I've been totally disillusioned and disgusted by the actions of our footballing authorities over this.  There is no reason why this season can't be finished behind closed doors in September and October when the demand for PPE equipment and tests may not be as great.  It's not like there will be any great urgency to start next season when it's likely to be played behind closed doors anyway.

Money rather than health has been driving the government's agenda in the wider country from the start - not just football The herd immunity strategy was always designed to minimise the effect on the economy at the expense of people's lives. 

I don't blame football authorities for this - they need a lead from government. France provided it by banning all football until September 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course it is the optimum decision for public health. And as if we didn’t know already, this pandemic has proven that it is only a game 

However, potential vaccines are renowned for failing, so it takes 2/3 years for mass vaccinations and fans to return, what then?

Most clubs will surely have long gone.

A lot more than football will be gone.

What happens if a vaccine cannot be developed? How long do we wait?

I’m not just talking about football either. Football is a mere frivolity in the wider scheme of things but is a political and commercial metaphor for it too. Something has to give. It isn’t beyond the realms of possibility to protect the vulnerable but get those who can and who want or need to back to work. (There were some very disappointing comments earlier in the week about inferred discrimination, btw, which is utter nonsense when the vulnerable need to be protected while the economy needs to re-start).

But back to football, the MLS are already gearing up for this new normal. Granted it’s under the guise of charitable giving but it certainly looks like a way of getting people into a different mindset...

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/04/21/now-mlsstore-com-cloth-face-coverings-benefit-communities-affected-covid-19

32402B8A-3113-4481-A054-1540309E6462.thumb.jpeg.cea75ad6e855cc68a33f10fe09e00671.jpeg

I expect a lot of people would by a Rovers one and take their chances...

Edited by Stuart

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Money rather than health has been driving the government's agenda in the wider country from the start - not just football The herd immunity strategy was always designed to minimise the effect on the economy at the expense of people's lives. 

I don't blame football authorities for this - they need a lead from government. France provided it by banning all football until September 

But Germany have done the opposite. Who is right and who is wrong?

Personally, I’d scrap the season, mainly to avoid encouraging large gatherings and provide some certainty, but there needs to be an end to the lockdown so that Joe Bloggs can get back to work, and aside from vulnerable people, I’d say by the end of this month.

35 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Exactly !

I love the game itself and the club but along with the shenanigans at Ewood over the last 10 years that exposed some of the self serving undercurrent in football and now this it really leaves you wondering why bother. No club is immune to the greed and although Mowbray's tenure has restored some of Rovers real values that were stripped away it still rankles the wages average at best players are on now at this level.

I don't really blame the players too much it's the market they are in and it all starts at the top this gravy train. Rick Parry i can warm to, Gordon Taylor represents everything that is wrong with the game now just looking to drain maximum out into players and agents pockets. 

Finish this season if need be between Autumn/Christmas then just have a shorter season following it. I'm sure we can manage a season without the cups it might recharge a bit of interest in them the following year when they are back.

All we have though are businessmen and suits at the top looking to maximize what they can from what might be on offer. Nothing to do with sporting integrity.

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52581841

No spectators at Dutch sporting events until a vaccine has been found. I fear that may be a while yet.

And what happens if no vaccine is ever found? 

What the Dutch going to do then?

We have heard many of our football clubs rely on fans attending game. Rovers CEO say that 20% of our income. Many league 1 and 2 clubs who are businesses in reality will go bust over the next year I predict. Expect 15 clubs to go bust

51 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

UEFA have already said that the season must be finish by End of July. 

Our Footballing authorities? Well the FA has been silent just like UEFA have. Who both havent said much. The Premier League has engaged with the clubs and try to up with workable plan. 

The Government has put health first before our economy by keeping the lockdown in place for seventh week in a row. The government is trying to work with Sporting authorities of different sports. Many sports are affected by this whether it Cricket or Golf or etc. 2 sports where I was set to attend during the summer..

Edited by chaddyrovers

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

And what happens if no vaccine is ever found? 

What the Dutch going to do then?

Then we are all up shit Creek and life as we knew it will no longer exist so it won't just be a Dutch problem!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Exactly !

I love the game itself and the club but along with the shenanigans at Ewood over the last 10 years that exposed some of the self serving undercurrent in football and now this it really leaves you wondering why bother. No club is immune to the greed and although Mowbray's tenure has restored some of Rovers real values that were stripped away it still rankles the wages average at best players are on now at this level.

I don't really blame the players too much it's the market they are in and it all starts at the top this gravy train. Rick Parry i can warm to, Gordon Taylor represents everything that is wrong with the game now just looking to drain maximum out into players and agents pockets. 

Finish this season if need be between Autumn/Christmas then just have a shorter season following it. I'm sure we can manage a season without the cups it might recharge a bit of interest in them the following year when they are back.

All we have though are businessmen and suits at the top looking to maximize what they can from what might be on offer. Nothing to do with sporting integrity.

In response to the short season suggestion, I wonder if they could split the league into two parts, each fairly even - maybe every other team in league order. Liverpool in one ‘pool’ and City in the other for instance.

- 18 games plus title match.

The winners of each pool play each other for the title and the bottom two in each division go into play-offs the winner stays up.

- 18 games each plus 3 play-off matches.

Second placed teams automatic Champions League places

Third placed teams play each other for final champions league spot, runner up in Europa League.

- 18 games each plus European competition decider

Could probably even fit in the FA cup.

Similar arrangements in the rest of the divisions with 12 teams, so 22 matches - maybe split geographically to reduce costs.

There are lots of imaginative ways out of this, it all comes down to money.

• Like 1