BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

3 hours ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

A fan rather than someone who is indifferent to football. You know what I mean Arbitro.

Just as I’m not missing golf because I’m not really a golf fan 

I've had a season ticket for 30 years. I normally watch about 5 or 6 games a week on tv whilst watching the highlights of other games and regularly looking at league tables during the week.

I am missing not going to Ewood, meeting up with long standing mates and having a pint during and after. However I thought I would be craving some live football to watch. But I'm not.

I can't explain why. Maybe because I know when it restarts it will be behind closed doors and I suspect it just won't be the same. It should be left until the stadiums can be filled again. As supporters, we have often used the phrase "football without fans is nothing". Well that's about to be put the test.

If Rovers played this weekend in a deserted Ewood, I'd stream it but not with great anticipaton. But I wouldn't stream any premier league games or other games as I just don't have the interest. I'm fairly sure I'm classed as a football fan though.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 7

On 09/05/2020 at 14:11, arbitro said:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/09/premier-league-footballers-receive-coronavirus-test-results-quicker-key-workers-12677023/

The PL are paying a reported £4m for testing of players and staff and are expected to get the results back within 24 hours. The frontline NHS staff and care workers are having to wait longer according to the article.

If this is true it's another reason to dislike football.

Did you see Steve Parish on this morning The Andrew Marr Show

He mention the testing point you make saying they been told the test centre is private facilities not being used by the government. But Parish was more clarity on this issue. 

The PL bosses and clubs chairmen need to discuss the issues tomorrow and see what come out of that meeting. Nothing wrong with sitting and discuss the issues then coming up with proper plan whatever that is. 

41 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Did you see Steve Parish on this morning The Andrew Marr Show

He mention the testing point you make saying they been told the test centre is private facilities not being used by the government. But Parish was more clarity on this issue. 

The PL bosses and clubs chairmen need to discuss the issues tomorrow and see what come out of that meeting. Nothing wrong with sitting and discuss the issues then coming up with proper plan whatever that is. 

I didn't see it but reading into your comments it appears that the testing of players has been arranged at a private clinic. In my view it doesn't matter where they are held, those tests should be prioritised and done on people that really need them. Privatisation once again being used by the wealthy.

• Like 3

Just now, arbitro said:

I didn't see it but reading into your comments it appears that the testing of players has been arranged at a private clinic. In my view it doesn't matter where they are held, those tests should be prioritised and done on people that really need them. Privatisation once again being used by the wealthy.

If the test facilities arent being used by the government or NHS then I dont see the problem. If you arent taking tests away from the government or NHS supply either then another good thing. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

If the test facilities arent being used by the government or NHS then I dont see the problem. If you arent taking tests away from the government or NHS supply either then another good thing. 

I think it's more about the test kits than facilities. There clearly aren't enough kits at the moment for people that really need them. They should be used on the people who are risking their lives for us, elderly people and anybody at risk not footballers whose employers have lots of money and a private company more than happy to take it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hasta said:

I've had a season ticket for 30 years. I normally watch about 5 or 6 games a week on tv whilst watching the highlights of other games and regularly looking at league tables during the week.

I am missing not going to Ewood, meeting up with long standing mates and having a pint during and after. However I thought I would be craving some live football to watch. But I'm not.

I can't explain why. Maybe because I know when it restarts it will be behind closed doors and I suspect it just won't be the same. It should be left until the stadiums can be filled again. As supporters, we have often used the phrase "football without fans is nothing". Well that's about to be put the test.

If Rovers played this weekend in a deserted Ewood, I'd stream it but not with great anticipaton. But I wouldn't stream any premier league games or other games as I just don't have the interest. I'm fairly sure I'm classed as a football fan though.

Surely, we’re not just talking about the professional game being missed. Millions of people watch and play football at all levels. Hell, I’m missing playing 5–side once a week with my mates. 

We may not be able to visit Ewood or wherever for some time but being able to watch Rovers on TV would be a godsend at the moment, providing it’s safe to do so. 

40 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I think it's more about the test kits than facilities. There clearly aren't enough kits at the moment for people that really need them. They should be used on the people who are risking their lives for us, elderly people and anybody at risk not footballers whose employers have lots of money and a private company more than happy to take it.

if there are facilities for testing that are spare why is the government sending test to the usa for testing its all about the money whatever anyone says

• Like 2

• Backroom

Be interesting to see who pays back the broadcasters if the season is voided, I presume that would be on the Premier League?

After all the consumer expects not to pay for the football that isn’t happening so Sky and BT would expect the same.

Whatever route we go down there’s years worth’s of legal battles after this.

19 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It was always inevitable that some players would test positive. Already a game called off in Bundesliga 2 and surely some serious jeapordy as to whether the leagues can restart.

Which just makes it even more of a potential farce over here as soon as it gets going it might have to be pulled again. Utterly pointless even thinking about finishing it. Something tells me this Govt wants the revenue stream soon as though so they'll sit back and let the farce unfold no doubt.

• Like 1

You can sit there making excuses forever and a day about why football can't potentially restart and I'm getting a bit sick of hearing Premier League footballers being paid tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds a week by their  Clubs whinging about how they're too scared to go back and play.

Many ordinary people have had to carry on and work as normal throughout the Crisis so Im not sure what makes footballers so special or precious that they should be the exception. Football at the higher end is in the fortunate position of being able to afford extensive testing and conditions can artificially be made as safe as is humanly possible. This is an exceptional situation so no solution is going to be absolutely ideal so a bit of give and take is needed on all sides. The current season should be finished behind closed doors asap and if any players are found to contract the virus, those particular players should be put into isolation, there's no need to needlessly isolate entire squads.

Players should have the option to opt out if they feel particularly strongly about not playing but if they do they don't get paid - they can't expect to carry on getting paid for doing nothing indefinitely.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You can sit there making excuses forever and a day about why football can't potentially restart and I'm getting a bit sick of hearing Premier League footballers being paid tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds a week by their  Clubs whinging about how they're too scared to go back and play.

Many ordinary people have had to carry on and work as normal throughout the Crisis so Im not sure what makes footballers so special or precious that they should be the exception. Football at the higher end is in the fortunate position of being able to afford extensive testing and conditions can artificially be made as safe as is humanly possible. This is an exceptional situation so no solution is going to be absolutely ideal so a bit of give and take is needed on all sides. The current season should be finished behind closed doors asap and if any players are found to contract the virus, those particular players should be put into isolation, there's no need to needlessly isolate entire squads.

Players should have the option to opt out if they feel particularly strongly about not playing but if they do they don't get paid - they can't expect to carry on getting paid for doing nothing indefinitely.

You have to appreciate that the wealth of footballers doesnt change the fact that they are people just like anyone else and are entitled like anyone else to have fears and concerns about the health, safety and wellbeing of themselves and their families.

Ultimately you mention ordinary people having to work as normal, it has obviously not been as normal and they have been working because they are considered to be key workers.

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

So will football be the only profession where the employees don't have to abide by social distancing?

how do you get round the no group bigger than 2 people, be intresting a 1 aside match and if one player tests positive will the whole squad not have to self isolate like normal people .

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You have to appreciate that the wealth of footballers doesnt change the fact that they are people just like anyone else and are entitled like anyone else to have fears and concerns about the health, safety and wellbeing of themselves and their families.

Ultimately you mention ordinary people having to work as normal, it has obviously not been as normal and they have been working because they are considered to be key workers.

I agree with the first part, although many people who cannot work have been furloughed, sometimes on a portion of their salary. Companies who are struggling to pay their staff have been able to furlough them.  This doesn't really apply to clubs.  Football clubs have had their income streams turned off, but are still expected by the players to pay 70% or upwards of the players massively salary. Whilst there is way too much money sloshing about in football, many clubs aren't actually cash rich, just rich in the balance sheet.

If footballers don't want the clubs to move heaven and earth to get them playing again and regain access to some of their income streams, they are going to have to accept a far bigger salary decrease than I expect they currently have. 

I'm not saying that they should be forced to play if its not safe, but they need to realise their salaries are not sustainable at all at the moment. If they want to keep earning what they currently earn, they need to accept the risk over health and safety.

On the second part, that's untrue as warehouse staff up and down the country have worked through all of this supplying dart boards, bicycles, toasters, TV's and every other gadget people desire. Only non-essential shops had to close, not businesses. However it's not really relevant to the point regarding footballers, and I'm sure they don't go around the warehouses grappling with each other and spitting on the floor.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

So will football be the only profession where the employees don't have to abide by social distancing?

If you can't fully socially distance at work, you are still actually still meant to go to work:-    (taken from here.).  However you wouldn't expect most places who struggle to adopt social distancing to allow the level of contact you would get on a football pitch !!!!!

• Employers who have people in their offices or on site should ensure that employees are able, where possible, to follow Public Health England guidelines on social distancing (including, where possible, maintaining a 2 metre distance from others), and hygiene (washing their hands with soap and water often for at least 20 seconds).
Edited by Hasta

6 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I agree with the first part, although many people who cannot work have been furloughed, sometimes on a portion of their salary. Companies who are struggling to pay their staff have been able to furlough them.  This doesn't really apply to clubs.  Football clubs have had their income streams turned off, but are still expected by the players to pay 70% or upwards of the players massively salary. Whilst there is way too much money sloshing about in football, many clubs aren't actually cash rich, just rich in the balance sheet.

If footballers don't want the clubs to move heaven and earth to get them playing again and regain access to some of their income streams, they are going to have to accept a far bigger salary decrease than I expect they currently have. 

I'm not saying that they should be forced to play if its not safe, but they need to realise their salaries are not sustainable at all at the moment. If they want to keep earning what they currently earn, they need to accept the risk over health and safety.

On the second part, that's untrue as warehouse staff up and down the country have worked through all of this supplying dart boards, bicycles, toasters, TV's and every other gadget people desire. Only non-essential shops had to close, not businesses. However it's not really relevant to the point regarding footballers, and I'm sure they don't go around the warehouses grappling with each other and spitting on the floor.

I would agree that there may have to be some sort of compromise in terms of wages. Maybe an option whereby their wage will be paid in full if they play and only receive a certain % if they would not like to risk it. In terms of gate receipts, they wont be coming in regardless so it may actually be financially beneficial for clubs if players do not play if that is the case dependant on the level of the cut.

The main part amidst all this though is that surely the integrity is massively compromised even further if players quite understandably can choose whether they would like to play or not. It is ok the PM saying that football can go ahead, but that is the tip of the iceberg really. You have player welfare and co-operation, the morality of taking up so many tests even if privately funded, and the impact upon any positive test results which surely are inevitable and the potential cancellations that will follow. Just seems like too many hurdles to overcome to me.

As you say regarding your comparison to people in warehouses, something which you do wonder as to whether it should have continued during the lockdown prior to yesterdays incredibly flawed speech from the PM, there is no direct comparison in terms of ability to maintain social distancing. Also, with certain procedures put into place, these other businesses can feasibly continue, whereas regardless of the decision in terms of football, a major aspect of potential revenue will be off the cards for a long while yet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

When is this fantasy of finishing the season going to be extinguished, the season should have been ended weeks ago. Anyone with the slightest bit of common sense can see that it is not going to restart and neither should it.

• Like 4