BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

4 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Of course, but the PL have not flashed the fiver yet

The PL and their clubs have big money problems ahead in terms TV and Sponsorship deals over the next 5 years being at least 25 to 35% less than previous deals. So wages have to come down now and players are going have to accept this

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's non league football. 

Greg Clarke's comments to the PL chairmans was clear as day to them. Why are disputing them I dont know. 

The PL and FA agree on the FA having power on relegation and promotion when the PL was formed. 

I was only 6 years old when the FA Premier league was formed. 

So does it not matter because it's non league? The FA have the same duty of care to every league irrespective of status and as such should be applying the same standards. Despite your implication (which I think may be about money) it's double standards,  something which the FA have previous for.

• Like 3

Key to all this is how the banks handle clubs overdrafts and borrowings as in time big money will come flowing back in inevitably. There'll be a lot of Dubai / Brunei based football investment vehicles fielding a lot of long term borrowing enquiries.

There'll be a few of those about to go tits up as well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The PL and their clubs have big money problems ahead in terms TV and Sponsorship deals over the next 5 years being at least 25 to 35% less than previous deals. So wages have to come down now and players are going have to accept this

I can see how that may be the case from now in terms of new contracts but I dont see how players on current (especially long term) contracts "are going to have to accept" wage cuts, says who? How can that be enforced? Aside from a potential temporary drop whilst players are not requested to come into work, however if the Premier League (and Championship) do enforce that the season starts again in June against all logic then even that wont be happening as they will be back in training imminently.

5 years is a very specific and quite random duration to pick though, as I suspect (and hope) that it will be much before then that supporters can attend games.

Its hard to have too much sympathy with Premier League clubs and their finances to be honest. Last summer saw a spend of £1.4bn incredibly. Surely the first thing to expect is that surely no transfer fees will be spent this summer.

I dont get this insistence that promotions and relegations HAVE to be enforced regardless of how unfairly and in terms of risk to health how imorally they are decided upon. Ive yet to see a valid reason.

I also understand the need for clarity amd transparency but not for a plan ie deciding on everything now. Null and void is the most sensible way to buy time in a very fluid and unprecedented time. A plan is not needed right now because we dont know the situation in say 2 months. At that point, deaths may have gone down significantly enough to start the new season at a normal start date and the teams can agree to open games up to fans if and when possible during the season with a blank canvas in terms of positions and before fixtures are arranged. If not, the season can be further delayed. For me, the sensible thing would be to cancel the European competitions including Euro 2020(or 2021) to allow the domestic calendar to be delayed even further anyway, buying more time.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, arbitro said:

So does it not matter because it's non league? The FA have the same duty of care to every league irrespective of status and as such should be applying the same standards. Despite your implication (which I think may be about money) it's double standards,  something which the FA have previous for.

I think it good that FA have told the PL that relegation and promotion will happen. Plus that null and void isnt happening either. 

Should be a simple thing really.

Question 1. Is the situation (deaths per day etc) low risk enough to consider having games in front of fans?

Yes - Go ahead with precautions.

No - Wait.

Question 2. Is the situation low risk enough to consider having games behind closed doors?

Yes - Go ahead with precautions.

No - Wait. Delay and/or null and void where appropriate.

Obviously the question all falls around what the guideline is in regards to low risk. Maybe under x amount of deaths and infections for x period of time. Maybe when far enough down the chart out of 5. Maybe when either of these are in place and players are willing to co-operate. But dont consider legalities and finances until these 2 questions are answered.

I am a simple soul and my view on this has always been just keep the finger on the pause button just now. People are talking as though the 2020/21 season will be a normal one when we have no idea really. It may well be much more palatable for that to be the season that gets scrapped or modified in advance, where all parties know the rules before they kick a ball, while we get on with finishing this season off in as 'normal' a way as possible, whenever that might be. But football should be put on hold indefinitely just now. I realise that this will have financial implications, but other industries are finding innovative ways to deal with things, there's no reason why football can't do likewise. Why players should get more than £2500 per month while there is no football being played is quite beyond me. The fact that they usually earn a bucketload more than that should have provided them with a cushion for more difficult times and if it hasn't, then welcome to the real world chaps!

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I can see how that may be the case from now in terms of new contracts but I dont see how players on current (especially long term) contracts "are going to have to accept" wage cuts, says who? How can that be enforced? Aside from a potential temporary drop whilst players are not requested to come into work, however if the Premier League (and Championship) do enforce that the season starts again in June against all logic then even that wont be happening as they will be back in training imminently.

Over a period of times wages will have to come down due to loss of income and ability to pay big wages. 

But the PL have said they will speak to players and managers before any restart happen? Have you not seen this? 

5 years is a very specific and quite random duration to pick though, as I suspect (and hope) that it will be much before then that supporters can attend games.

TV companies have warned the PL the next TV deal will be significant less than before. Owners of clubs will be hit in pocket to fund they own clubs. You think honestly think Sponsorship will remain the same level? 

Its hard to have too much sympathy with Premier League clubs and their finances to be honest. Last summer saw a spend of £1.4bn incredibly. Surely the first thing to expect is that surely no transfer fees will be spent this summer.

PL finances are out of control. Norwich has been very sensible wages and transfer fees wise. Even they admit they will have to sensible going despite this PL money. Norwich were days away from going bankrupt until they sold Maddison and Murphy to balance. 

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont get this insistence that promotions and relegations HAVE to be enforced regardless of how unfairly and in terms of risk to health how imorally they are decided upon. Ive yet to see a valid reason.

Read the FA Chairman's Greg Clarke's comments then and PL Chairman's Richard Masters comments. 

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I also understand the need for clarity amd transparency but not for a plan ie deciding on everything now. Null and void is the most sensible way to buy time in a very fluid and unprecedented time. A plan is not needed right now because we dont know the situation in say 2 months. At that point, deaths may have gone down significantly enough to start the new season at a normal start date and the teams can agree to open games up to fans if and when possible during the season with a blank canvas in terms of positions and before fixtures are arranged. If not, the season can be further delayed

You need the outline of plan even not specific dates, what the plans is and how many games per week for clubs? Some clubs have said they want 3 or 4 weeks of training before any games. So sort of plan is needed what is it. A plan can be change. Does not completely set in stones does it? Have some flexibility. 

The null and void is off the table as the FA, PL and EFL have said. 

The government has been very clear no fans in stadiums until a vaccine or treatment. Have you miss this? 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can you say anymore please? 

Sorry, can’t say anymore because I don’t know anymore, but he seemed to be sure. Seen another rumour from Rovers camp saying week after, probably find out very shortly, obviously all depends on no spikes and continuing to improve.

• Like 1