BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Finally!

The report was presented by the Premier League to the team captain of each club and PFA. Well if you object to the report good for you Paul. But the report is there. Teams and managers have accept the report and protocols in place otherwise they wouldn't have return to training. Hopefully Rovers will be back on Monday

Football is coming back in this country and will be TV until Christmas. At least it's back in some capacity and fans will have back some sport. You probably wont watch anyway. 

Do you think that the lockdown should be completely lifted for the general public on Monday too?

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Do you think that the lockdown should be completely lifted for the general public on Monday too?

Christ, people want to have their cake and eat it it regarding this crisis.

They give the Government all manner of stick about insufficient testing. (Probably with a lot of justification in the early part of the crisis).

Then, when testing is available, they're still obsessing over complete irrelevances like whether or not  footballers are actually in contact for an average of 88 seconds or whether it is in fact much longer.

I.e. The fact the players have been regularly tested over a period and cleared to play is irrelevant and doesn't matter.

You can't have it both ways, either testing is of vital importance or it isn't. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Stuart said:

Footballers shouldn’t need to socially distance from each other - in much the same way some schools are planning to manage the impossible task of socially distancing 4 and 5 year olds. (Very similar to footballers funnily enough).

Thats a very different argument from thinking footballers should be tested as safe to work before teachers, for example.

I just think football isn’t important enough that it has to go ahead while in the same breath it isn’t safe for spectators to attend - even with PPE.

There is not the slightest chance that football would have been given the green light to resume if either:

1) Private testing of  footballers had any impact on the availability of tests for the NHS or care homes or

2) The Government thought that by the time football is ready to resume the emergency services couldn't provide  cover without leaving the NHS short.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Paul said:

Apologies I did eventually find that bit about 88 seconds.

It's not my report! Hilarious. You presented the information without comment. At the very least it requires some consideration. You're the one arguing for football to return and should give due thought to the "facts" you present.

Suggesting any footballer is only at risk for an average of 88 seconds is obvious and total nonsense to anyone who has watched any football match.

Why don't you think about what you post?

Testing completely irrelevant then?

16 hours ago, Paul said:

In which case it's unlikely fans will be in the ground for 18-24 months. Effectively game over.

I'd personally have no qualms about attending a game with crowds as normal tomorrow if it was suddenly  deemed legal but if as seems likely it is deemed necessary to keep crowds away from football until say the start of the 2021-22 season I'd have no problem with the game continuing behind closed doors until that point if it meant Clubs survived.

Some Clubs will survive, I think many lower down and not so low down the Pyramid will go unless broadcasters can be persuaded to provide generous deals which would replace gate and matchday revenue to televise all games live.

As the demand for that in the Lower leagues is likely to be limited I fear it's unlikely.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Christ, people want to have their cake and eat it it regarding this crisis.

They give the Government all manner of stick about insufficient testing. (Probably with a lot of justification in the early part of the crisis).

Then, when testing is available, they're still obsessing over complete irrelevances like whether or not  footballers are actually in contact for an average of 88 seconds or whether it is in fact much longer.

I.e. The fact the players have been regularly tested over a period and cleared to play is irrelevant and doesn't matter.

You can't have it both ways, either testing is of vital importance or it isn't. 

Should the lockdown be lifted for the general public on Monday so that everyone can go back to work?

22 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Should the lockdown be lifted for the general public on Monday so that everyone can go back to work?

I'm probably the wrong person to be asking that Stuart. You know my views on the entire thing, I would never have imposed a blanket lockdown in the first place.

However, by any standard, if the general public had all had the benefit of being tested twice a week for the last month (like footballers will have by the time they restart) then yes, undoubtedly.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm probably the wrong person to be asking that Stuart. You know my views on the entire thing, I would never have imposed a blanket lockdown in the first place.

However, by any standard, if the general public had all had the benefit of being tested twice a week for the last month (like footballers will have by the time they restart) then yes, undoubtedly.

Sadly, the public can’t be tested because the tests are all being used by footballers and staff.

Which is exactly my point.

We are going to see a huge recession that effects ordinary folk massively because of the current lockdown. Footballers would be the last people to suffer, I see no reason why they couldn’t have waited their turn considering:

1) Football isn’t the most important thing in people’s lives

2) Those people who think football is more important than ‘normal folk’ having jobs to go back to won’t even be able to go and watch anyway.

This is all about money, both for the PL and the top clubs, and there is no concern for the financial situation of millions of people who need to get to back to work more pressingly.

If testing has been made available for the sole purpose of avoiding giving money back to Sky and BT then I just don’t get how any right thinking person would believe this was in any way justifiable.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Sadly, the public can’t be tested because the tests are all being used by footballers and staff.

I think you are labouring under the mis apprehension that the Premier League providing private testing for footballers has any sort of impact on the availability of publicly funded testing from a separate source for the Public, NHS and Care Homes.  You're not going to be swayed or dissuaded on that point so there's no point debating it further.

If it was the case that testing footballers meant more deserving cases went without, I'd agree. with you.

13 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Which is exactly my point.

We are going to see a huge recession that effects ordinary folk massively because of the current lockdown. Footballers would be the last people to suffer, I see no reason why they couldn’t have waited their turn considering:

1) Football isn’t the most important thing in people’s lives

2) Those people who think football is more important than ‘normal folk’ having jobs to go back to won’t even be able to go and watch anyway.

This is all about money, both for the PL and the top clubs, and there is no concern for the financial situation of millions of people who need to get to back to work more pressingly.

If testing has been made available for the sole purpose of avoiding giving money back to Sky and BT then I just don’t get how any right thinking person would believe this was in any way justifiable.

Football clubs aren't taking tests away from the general public. Private testing has always been available and is mutually exclusive to what the government use.

Oddly, there is an anti football bent with some on this football message board. This is just another angle that plays into it.

I think that Rev's views on coronavirus are cuckoo but I agree with him on the restart of football. Players will be tested 2, 3 times a week, and will be around very few people when not playing. I presume that they'll all be tested either the day before or the day of a match therefore the chances of players on the pitch passing on the virus will be extremely low.

I also agree that if the government wants schools to open they should apply the same process, but that means involves coordination and a massive increase in testing numbers. The way to defeat the virus is to test, track, and trace. Those in the firing line so to speak should be tested often.

I'm watching the M'gladbach game and the 1000s of cardboard cut out figures make an effective crowd for TV. Not too noisy and no troubles. Waggott likes this, makes for ease of catering, security etc planning.

Decent game too.

Just realised that most of the crowd are not following social distancing guidelines.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Football clubs aren't taking tests away from the general public. Private testing has always been available and is mutually exclusive to what the government use.

Is there an argument to say that they should donate all these tests to the care sector, who still aren't getting tested? Football can wait

42 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Oddly, there is an anti football bent with some on this football message board. This is just another angle that plays into it.

It is slightly weird given this is a football m/b but it's in keeping with the general view of the Board regarding the Crisis.

As regards football, I haven't actually missed it in the slightest during its absence. In fact I've actually felt a slight sense of release from the feeling of obligation of having to trudge down to Ewood fortnightly to witness the dross served up by Mowbray's team. I'd far rather my favourite Pubs and Restaurants re-opened first.

However it's not a question of my personal entertainment. If football doesn't return fairly soon under normal circumstances then Clubs will go bust. In exactly the same way in the real world if businesses can't return soon enough they'll go to the wall too.

Surely those are situations to be avoided if at all possible  and in football's case if it can be avoided by playing temporarily behind closed doors that should be pursued vigorously.

3 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

It can , the government will keep paying the furlough etc....football should restart new season fresh in August

The furlough scheme has little or no impact when you have employees on tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds a week.

Then on top of that, if fixtures weren't completed, the TV Companies will be demanding hundreds of millions of pounds back.

I know the situation is of Clubs own making and they need to reset for future purposes but currently the game is where it is.

I’m certainly not anti-Rovers, so I get the need for the top divisions to get back as it could well be financial Armageddon otherwise.

But it just sticks in the throat that we’ve got to this position that we are scrambling to play sterile games at empty grounds in the midst of a global pandemic, instead of just drawing a line under this season and trying to salvage 2020/2021, solely to satisfy TV contracts.

It’s so dire that any break in payments or rebates could collapse the whole operation, it seems unbelievable with the money pumped into the game this past couple of decades, but of course, hundreds of millions are pissed up the wall every year.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

It can , the government will keep paying the furlough etc....football should restart new season fresh in August

And what’s going to have changed by August? There’ll be no vaccine and social distancing will still be in place. So what’s the difference between it starting now or August?

As funny as it’d be seeing Liverpool and Leeds not win the league / go up, you can’t prioritise a new season for one that’s near completion 

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think you are labouring under the mis apprehension that the Premier League providing private testing for footballers has any sort of impact on the availability of publicly funded testing from a separate source for the Public, NHS and Care Homes.  You're not going to be swayed or dissuaded on that point so there's no point debating it further.

If it was the case that testing footballers meant more deserving cases went without, I'd agree. with you.

If football uses 1600 tests per week then they aren’t available for anyone else. I don’t know how else to say it mate.

If you don’t think more deserving cases are not yet being able to get tested then you aren’t paying attention or don’t have anyone in your family affected (which I’m very happy to hear).

Meanwhile I have family in the care industry still waiting.

Never mind, at least a load of overpaid loafers are ok.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Finally!

The report was presented by the Premier League to the team captain of each club and PFA. Well if you object to the report good for you Paul. But the report is there. Teams and managers have accept the report and protocols in place otherwise they wouldn't have return to training. Hopefully Rovers will be back on Monday

Football is coming back in this country and will be TV until Christmas. At least it's back in some capacity and fans will have back some sport. You probably wont watch anyway. 

If the PL think players are only in this range of contact for 88 seconds on average per match they are even more unfit to run the game than I previously believed.

You'd believe any nonsense that's spoon fed to you via a media that relies on brainwashing viewers.

17 minutes ago, Stuart said:

If football uses 1600 tests per week then they aren’t available for anyone else. I don’t know how else to say it mate.

If you don’t think more deserving cases are not yet being able to get tested then you aren’t paying attention or don’t have anyone in your family affected (which I’m very happy to hear).

Meanwhile I have family in the care industry still waiting.

Never mind, at least a load of overpaid loafers are ok.

But it is only a test. It doesn’t make you any safer.