BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

Burnleys profit in 2019 was £4.3m to be fair so they are hardly churning out millions after millions of profit. They havent as far as I know, although I may be wrong, and of course their match takings, costs of testing etc and I presume a chunk of their TV money will be taken so you would suspect they will certainly post a loss, maybe a decent sized one. So I personally can understand it to an extent.

They have offered refunds so you cant really argue. Again I mention the moral dilemma of getting refunds, I am not sure if it is frowned upon but it shouldnt be, but I dont think it can be described as a disgrace.

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Neutral venues surely reduce the already waning remaining integrity of the competition.

Police have concerns over certain games like Merseyside derby. PL Chairman has said this today in his interview with Sky Sports 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Burnleys profit in 2019 was £4.3m to be fair so they are hardly churning out millions after millions of profit. They havent as far as I know, although I may be wrong, and of course their match takings, costs of testing etc and I presume a chunk of their TV money will be taken so you would suspect they will certainly post a loss, maybe a decent sized one. So I personally can understand it to an extent.

They have offered refunds so you cant really argue. Again I mention the moral dilemma of getting refunds, I am not sure if it is frowned upon but it shouldnt be, but I dont think it can be described as a disgrace.

Burnley have invested money into their Training ground and academy. 

I do wonder what will happen when Dyche does leave. Been rumours of a couple of clubs being interested in him

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Burnley have invested money into their Training ground and academy. 

I do wonder what will happen when Dyche does leave. Been rumours of a couple of clubs being interested in him

I think we should start a rumour that he is in talks with us. Can you imagine the reaction on their boards.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Rugby League re-started in Australia today.

Believe Premiership Rugby Union in England plan to finish the season. No word on when they go back to training though...

Think I heard they were hoping to restart in mid August or start of September.

They seem to be struggling with the concept of how to resume training given that their game is as physical and close contact as it gets.

6 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

The 1960 cup final ticket debacle took decades to get over. We have never recovered from the Kean nightmare.

As JH says, we could be staring down the barrel of mass non renewals. Only anecdotal, but the mood music on renewals I’m picking up from long standing fans worries me...

It'll be 50 years at the end of the year since I first attended a game at Ewood. It's well documented I think the reaction to the virus has been blown out of all proportion and that the "cure" has been and will subsequently prove to have been far more harmful than the actual impact of the illness itself. Given that,  I'm determined that the Crisis will not be the thing that breaks my long association with the Club and will renew on principle.

If there'd been no crisis and my renewal decision was based purely on the quality of our manager and therefore my view of our prospects and the level of entertainment we've seen, I wouldn't be renewing with any relish at all. Before the Crisis I was thinking that there'd be a very good chance I'd end up renewing to support the Club and then if we continued in the same vein, probably not bother going to quite a few games.

Don't know if people in general will share my sense of apathy regarding our immediate prospects on the pitch, my friends don't appear to, but I do agree as we've been saying for a while now that attendance figures across the board everywhere could be a bit grim as people tend to be creatures of habit and will have got used to doing other things 

Wonder what Waggott's solution will be. Squeeze the even smaller hardcore, that much harder or will he be able to come up with something a bit more innovative?

5 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

My logic is that football cannot be played safely in the current situation and creates an unnecessary risk to the players, officials and the families of both. As it is non essential, it should not happen.

Other businesses can mitigate risk by social distancing and hygiene measures, reduced service, control on the movement of customers, wearing masks. Lots of ways to make the risks very low for everyone involved.

A football match involves physical contact, sweating, panting, deep breathing in close proximity to other people, spitting maybe some cuts to the skin. None of the measures mentioned above can be implemented.

So football is a special case - it can't be done safely. We can't even attempt to reduce the risks. I know the players and officials will be tested but is that 100% reliable?

Is any other contact sport considering restarting?

I couldn't disagree more strongly with the above. You cant catch the virus from being  In close proximity to someone who hasn't got the virus. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would think that 22 footballers who have all been tested and cleared are at any greater risk than the general population who haven't, social distancing notwithstanding.

Not that I think that  either group should refrain from returning to normal, just that out of the two groups the public face the greater degree of risk such as it is.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I couldn't disagree more strongly with the above. You cant catch the virus from being  In close proximity to someone who hasn't got the virus. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would think that 22 footballers who have all been tested and cleared are at any greater risk than the general population who haven't, social distancing notwithstanding.

Not that I think that  either group should refrain from returning to normal, just that out of the two groups the public face the greater degree of risk such as it is.

Can you be 100% confident in the testing procedure and the accuracy of the results ?

How would anyone know if someone had become contaminated or infected between testing and playing the match.

Wait for the outcry when a player tests positive the day after a match. Was he infectious the day before ?

All an unnecessary risk for meaningless football in empty stadiums

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Can you be 100% confident in the testing procedure and the accuracy of the results ?

How would anyone know if someone had become contaminated or infected between testing and playing the match.

Wait for the outcry when a player tests positive the day after a match. Was he infectious the day before ?

Or a step back to normality 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

You can be pretty confident in the accuracy of the testing procedure as they're being constantly tested therefore an occasional  false test result (if indeed they do occur) shouldn't prove that disastrous.

There is a slight risk that a player could contract the virus between testing and playing but the risk is relatively small, as is the likelihood that if any player does catch the virus it will be a major problem for them. If they're worried about a vulnerable family member, they're under no obligation to play as far as I'm aware.

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You can be pretty confident in the accuracy of the testing procedure as they're being constantly tested therefore an occasional  false test result (if indeed they do occur) shouldn't prove that disastrous.

There is a slight risk that a player could contract the virus between testing and playing but the risk is relatively small, as is the likelihood that if any player does catch the virus it will be a major problem for them. If they're worried about a vulnerable family member, they're under no obligation to play as far as I'm aware.

Well it is going ahead so I guess the authorities are taking the same view that you are.

But, as you have just admitted, it is not risk free and the small risk could be more important to some people than to others. Some unexpected turn of events could see those small risks becoming a serious reality for someone.  No football, no risk.

I hope you are right and there are no repercussions.

With the likelihood of there being no fans at the playoffs you would think they would play the play off finals at a ground that is close to both teams, i dont see the point of playing at an empty Wembley if its 2 northern teams in a final.

On 29/05/2020 at 11:03, JHRover said:

In terms of potential refund on my season ticket i have not yet decided what i am going to do yet.

I'm struggling with the idea that i should refrain from getting a refund to the tune of £60+ on games i haven't been able to go to. I have many other bills to pay, I don't get a great salary and already spend far too much of it going far and wide every week watching Rovers. Meanwhile Rovers have a wage bill of millions of pounds and to my knowledge nobody in the hundreds of employees down there have yet taken a wage cut or lost any money. Waggott is on £300,000+ a year, lord only knows how much the players are on, not to mention the invisible owners rep, and whilst it is nice they have deferred some of those wages this is a DEFERRAL and not a CUT or REDUCTION. 

I also have a series of other issues and gripes on my mind that are telling me not to wave away a refund. I am unhappy that the club dishes out hundreds of free tickets for league games whilst taking my season ticket money and i ask why i should subsidise that. I also ask myself why i should pay for games that i won't be able to watch whilst i fully expect a large number of non-essential people to be able to gain access to Ewood for these 'behind closed doors' games whilst many are being paid to do so - Community Trust, office staff etc.

I suppose one way of getting rid of the issue would be for the club to offer a discount on next year's season ticket to those who had them this year who don't claim a refund for the missed games. That would be an ideal solution as it would ensure there was a serious incentive to renew again at a discounted rate whilst addressing those games missed this year. 

I am very worried about the impact this pandemic is possibly going to have on our support base. Many people go to Rovers purely out of routine and habit rather than any great love of what gets served up on a fortnightly basis and i think the club takes a lot of those people for granted, expecting them to just roll up and renew every summer regardless.

Once that habit is broken or people feel they are taking chances or putting themselves at risk by going and it becomes very difficult/impossible to get those people back who start to realise that they haven't really missed it and don't need it in their lives. If the club gets it wrong with refunds and upsets people or has the audacity to suggest those asking for them are causing the club harm or put prices up for next season then they are going to cause untold damage down the line. I can see a drop in crowds far greater than what any relegation would bring.

In short if the club was able to offer an incentive for me to refuse a refund - e.g. discount on next season - then that would probably deal with the issue. But if they start with the guilt tripping and 'proper supporters' would walk away from refunds whilst continuing funneling thousands of pounds a week into millionaire's back pockets whilst i balance the bills each month there's going to be trouble.

The best post I have read on this forum for a long while.. 

Most clubs are now offering refunds and those that aren't are doing some incentive for season ticket holders yet the silence from Ewood is deafening 

Let's not forget BWD is one of the most deprived areas of the country and a lot of fans will be struggling at the moment 

Holiday firms and airlines have to offer refunds football should be no different 

A burning question for me was would it be right to accept a refund ??  Well with the salary Waggot gets.. The Answer is Yes 

• Like 1

On 29/05/2020 at 11:03, JHRover said:

I am very worried about the impact this pandemic is possibly going to have on our support base. Many people go to Rovers purely out of routine and habit rather than any great love of what gets served up on a fortnightly basis and i think the club takes a lot of those people for granted, expecting them to just roll up and renew every summer regardless.

Seem to recall Waggott saying that around 15% of season tickets were not renewed each year which puts it around 1200-1500