BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 10:39, Mattyblue said:

And that’s where you differ from most on here.

I'm not denying that, nor have I ever been shy about posting my view. I've always accepted that on here that it's Rovers above all, and I've always wondered why people, here or anywhere, care so much about one team then shrug shoulders at the wider game. Rovers can't exist in a vacuum, to me the game as a whole is more important.

As to restarting, I've said my piece regarding football having a top notch test, track, and trace process, and for no fans to succeed top level money needs to find its way down the pyramid, but I certainly think that it's feasible to begin. Britain has become paralysed with fear over the virus. It isn't going anywhere - or so everybody thinks - so life has to adjust to accommodate, not stop.

It's regular moan on here that Ewood is like a library these days with the ground usually a third full for games, how much changes with zero fans? The players won't care. They'll find it weird but will still give it their all. At least with TV there is a chance to see Rovers play.

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 10:46, rigger said:

Exactly. If we lose, I do not watch, listen, or read anything football, until we play again.

I've never been like that. I can't explain why, but it's not me. I'm not faulting you for it either.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I'm not denying that, nor have I ever been shy about posting my view. I've always accepted that on here that it's Rovers above all, and I've always wondered why people, here or anywhere, care so much about one team then shrug shoulders at the wider game. Rovers can't exist in a vacuum, to me the game as a whole is more important.

As to restarting, I've said my piece regarding football having a top notch test, track, and trace process, and for no fans to succeed top level money needs to find its way down the pyramid, but I certainly think that it's feasible to begin. Britain has become paralysed with fear over the virus. It isn't going anywhere - or so everybody thinks - so life has to adjust to accommodate, not stop.

It's regular moan on here that Ewood is like a library these days with the ground usually a third full for games, how much changes with zero fans? The players won't care. They'll find it weird but will still give it their all. At least with TV there is a chance to see Rovers play.

I've never been like that. I can't explain why, but it's not me. I'm not faulting you for it either.

The upside is that after a win, bad results are consigned to history and not thought of again.

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

we don't know this so lets leave it to experts from Oxford University and other people who are working on the vaccine. Sarah Gilbert from Oxford University was confident of a vaccine by September when talking BBC in April. We have ordered 100 million doses of the vaccine as long as it works

The EFL clubs know fans are important to their clubs and the community. 

If the football authorities and the government had no interest in the fans then they wouldn't have put every Premier League game on TV so fans of all PL clubs can watch them. I expect the EFL will do similar with the games. Whether it watching online of Sky Tv. 

I disagree that Football has forgotten me. They have provided me with plenty of TV Coverage to watch live football. 

If you seriously believe there is going to be a vaccine any time soon you're simply being lead by the nose by the media. Do a bit of research on how long it takes to develop, test and manufacture a virus. You're in for a major shock.

Putting PL football on TV has got nothing whatsoever to do with football fans. I am talking about fans who go in to the ground. Restarting the PL is nothing more than fulfilling contractual obligations to the TV companies. The way this is going football couldn't give two hoots whether or not you ever go in to a football ground again. Personally I have zero interest in watching TV football. If there is a game I want to see I go to the ground. That's what football fans do.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You're the one who is particularly worried Paul, what sort of measures would you like to see?

Who said I'm particularly worried? You did, twice! I'm not fretting about it at all. I want to watch Rovers but I am not going to put myself at risk to do this. Therefore without adequate controls I will not go to Ewood. It's not just football - I will not get on a plane, for example, until I'm sure of my personal safety.  My one dilemma is my son will not understand the situation and that is something I'm grappling with. Do I put myself and son at risk by entering in to a situation I would not countenance for myself alone?

It's my belief those people who wish to protect themselves from Covid-19 will continue to practice social distancing. So the first measure I'm interested in is how will 10,000 people be controlled so as to provide social distancing through the turnstiles? I've already made the facetious point this is a 20km queue. It's a valid point. If I go to my local Tesco I'm expected to queue for 40-60 minutes. The result? I don't go to Tesco anymore because it is clear to me Tesco has failed to find a solution to the problem. Aldi and Morrisons have no queues.

It's not for me to detail the measures clubs take to protect their fans. It's up to the clubs, as it is with every other establishment, to provide an environment in which customers/fans feel safe. I simply won't go to places that cannot do this. I've accepted my life will contain a new level of risk, I've no problem with this. I do though have plans and ideas on how my actions will change to minimise that risk. That's a decision for individuals to make, I intend to remain healthy.

I realise there are those who feel the precautions we have been urged to take are to some extent unnecessary or are over the top. That's fine, no problem except those are the very same people I will do my best to avoid at all times.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul said:

If you seriously believe there is going to be a vaccine any time soon you're simply being lead by the nose by the media. Do a bit of research on how long it takes to develop, test and manufacture a virus. You're in for a major shock.

I have look into it actually Paul. People at Oxford university said 80% chance of vaccine being ready by September in April. Now that could be end of the year. There is other treatment trials happening at the minute. AstraZeneca said they could have 30 million doses ready by September of the Oxford University vaccine if it works. So we will see

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Putting PL football on TV has got nothing whatsoever to do with football fans. 

Sorry I disagree as it allowed fans to watch as much as they want. You might not watch football on tv but millions of people will be doing so. 

3 hours ago, Paul said:

I am talking about fans who go in to the ground.

But that isnt currently possible. Making stadiums coronavirus safe and social distancing rules is impossible there. Just imagine the nightmare of supporters using toilet and catering facilities at Stadium.

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Personally I have zero interest in watching TV football. If there is a game I want to see I go to the ground. That's what football fans do.

I would like nothing no more than go to Ewood Park and watch football inside a Stadium. But we cant. So having as much football on TV is the next best thing for millions of fans. 

After reading about the Charlton players yesterday I got thinking about Rovers situation as the start date of June 20th now seems cast in stone. We have two loan players who arguably have been amongst the mainstays of our team whose loan deals are due to expire ten days after the restart. Without them we are severely weakened and I don't believe we would really has say in whether they play beyond June 30th. The decision would lie with their parent club and the players themselves. Uppermost in the clubs and players minds must be fear of injury. Similarly we have several out of contract players who it seems will not offered deals as nothing has happened yet. These include Graham, Bell and Leutwiler who are all part of the first team squad. I saw Graham interviewed yesterday and he mentioned being out of contract but so far no offer of a new deal. He did however mention the possibility of monthly contracts. If Leutwiler and Walton are not available it leaves a massive void in the keeper area. Similarly Bell and Tosin would leave us exposed defensively.

It will clearly be something Mowbray is aware of but something he doesn't have control over.

25 minutes ago, arbitro said:

After reading about the Charlton players yesterday I got thinking about Rovers situation as the start date of June 20th now seems cast in stone. We have two loan players who arguably have been amongst the mainstays of our team whose loan deals are due to expire ten days after the restart. Without them we are severely weakened and I don't believe we would really has say in whether they play beyond June 30th. The decision would lie with their parent club and the players themselves. Uppermost in the clubs and players minds must be fear of injury. Similarly we have several out of contract players who it seems will not offered deals as nothing has happened yet. These include Graham, Bell and Leutwiler who are all part of the first team squad. I saw Graham interviewed yesterday and he mentioned being out of contract but so far no offer of a new deal. He did however mention the possibility of monthly contracts. If Leutwiler and Walton are not available it leaves a massive void in the keeper area. Similarly Bell and Tosin would leave us exposed defensively.

It will clearly be something Mowbray is aware of but something he doesn't have control over.

Bell has been leaving us defensively exposed all season.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I have look into it actually Paul. People at Oxford university said 80% chance of vaccine being ready by September in April. Now that could be end of the year. There is other treatment trials happening at the minute. AstraZeneca said they could have 30 million doses ready by September of the Oxford University vaccine if it works. So we will see

Listened to the Oxford folk on the radio last week.  They were talking about it being well into next year, at the earliest, before they would be likely to find a vaccine and even that, they felt, was by no means a certainty.  

Like Paul said earlier, people will make their own decisions about what they feel is safe.  Personally, I don't see how any stadium can be safe and social distancing - which is going to be here until a vaccine or successful treatment is found - makes it even more likely that the future of football is going to be behind closed doors - Sky and BT will be rubbing their hands at that.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

That fine line between letting go those that need replacing or keeping them because you're in no position to do anything else. In a normal world i'd be brave and let all 3 go and use the funds elsewhere but in present circumstances and knowing TM i can see all 3 getting new deals of some sort.

All depends what's in next seasons budget and as we know that doesn't usually get set till late summer.

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

That fine line between letting go those that need replacing or keeping them because you're in no position to do anything else. In a normal world i'd be brave and let all 3 go and use the funds elsewhere but in present circumstances and knowing TM i can see all 3 getting new deals of some sort.

All depends what's in next seasons budget and as we know that doesn't usually get set till late summer.

Finance could well play a part in the thought process. Brighton and Man City will want extra payments and giving the likes of Graham, Bell, Downing and Leutwiler another month won't be cheap. I guess Mowbray and Waggott have to balance that against the chances of reaching the playoffs.

• Like 1

Rovers have secure loan extensions to Walton and Adarabioyo to the end of this current season. LT reported this on 19th of May. 

Clubs have until the 23rd of June to make it known to their out of contract players whether they intend to release them or offer a new contract or try and agree a deal to see out the remainder of the delayed 2019/.20 season. 

Rovers have a club option on Bell to extend his contract for 12 months

41 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers have secure loan extensions to Walton and Adarabioyo to the end of this current season. LT reported this on 19th of May. 

Clubs have until the 23rd of June to make it known to their out of contract players whether they intend to release them or offer a new contract or try and agree a deal to see out the remainder of the delayed 2019/.20 season. 

Rovers have a club option on Bell to extend his contract for 12 months

That's true because they were season long loans but are you saying the deal has been amended to take into account the extended season? I'm sure there was a story about one of our loanees and that their loan period ended before the playoff final and we would have to seek a new permission to play them should we have gotten there.

One of my points about the out of contract players was that individually they might not want to jeopardise their future by getting injured for the sake of a month or two.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, arbitro said:

That's true because they were season long loans but are you saying the deal has been amended to take into account the extended season? I'm sure there was a story about one of our loanees and that their loan period ended before the playoff final and we would have to seek a new permission to play them should we have gotten there.

One of my points about the out of contract players was that individually they might not want to jeopardise their future by getting injured for the sake of a month or two.

At one point there was talk of an agreement for a blanket extension of players contracts until the actual end of the restarted season whenever that may be. Whether anything came of that I don't know. Probably not given how unaccomodating players have been regarding their wages.

Even if that hasn't been agreed though, players whose contracts expire on July 1st are apparently paid up to the end of July anyway to allow them to find somewhere else in the meantime. So if we do get underway on June 20th and play three games in the first seven days and two games per week thereafter the regular season should finish round about July 20th with only the playoffs to fit in thereafter so it's difficult to see it being a major problem unless the season has to be stopped again.

9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

At one point there was talk of an agreement for a blanket extension of players contracts until the actual end of the restarted season whenever that may be. Whether anything came of that I don't know. Probably not given how unaccomodating players have been regarding their wages.

Even if that hasn't been agreed though, players whose contracts expire on July 1st are apparently paid up to the end of July anyway to allow them to find somewhere else in the meantime. So if we do get underway on June 20th and play three games in the first seven days and two games per week thereafter the regular season should finish round about July 20th with only the playoffs to fit in thereafter so it's difficult to see it being a major problem unless the season has to be stopped again.

My post was in light of the three Charlton players who are refusing to play with seemingly no recourse.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5ed513af35577/bowyer-updates-on-preparations-ahead-of-provisional-june-20th-start-date

43 minutes ago, arbitro said:

That's is what has been reported by the LT that Walton and Adarabioyo have had their loan deals amended to take into account the extended seasons. 

I haven't read that story so I cannot comment. 

Yes very true but I would have thought we would extend Downing's contract. Not sure on Graham. Luetwiler will go. 

I can understand Lyle Taylor not wanting play on his he got a big move on the cards. I don't know if he has btw

15 hours ago, Paul said:

Who said I'm particularly worried? You did, twice! I'm not fretting about it at all. I want to watch Rovers but I am not going to put myself at risk to do this. Therefore without adequate controls I will not go to Ewood. It's not just football - I will not get on a plane, for example, until I'm sure of my personal safety.  My one dilemma is my son will not understand the situation and that is something I'm grappling with. Do I put myself and son at risk by entering in to a situation I would not countenance for myself alone?

It's my belief those people who wish to protect themselves from Covid-19 will continue to practice social distancing. So the first measure I'm interested in is how will 10,000 people be controlled so as to provide social distancing through the turnstiles? I've already made the facetious point this is a 20km queue. It's a valid point. If I go to my local Tesco I'm expected to queue for 40-60 minutes. The result? I don't go to Tesco anymore because it is clear to me Tesco has failed to find a solution to the problem. Aldi and Morrisons have no queues.

It's not for me to detail the measures clubs take to protect their fans. It's up to the clubs, as it is with every other establishment, to provide an environment in which customers/fans feel safe. I simply won't go to places that cannot do this. I've accepted my life will contain a new level of risk, I've no problem with this. I do though have plans and ideas on how my actions will change to minimise that risk. That's a decision for individuals to make, I intend to remain healthy.

I realise there are those who feel the precautions we have been urged to take are to some extent unnecessary or are over the top. That's fine, no problem except those are the very same people I will do my best to avoid at all times.

Hi Paul. You have said on more than one occasion that you feel the Club "aren't looking after me" yet when I asked you what sort of measures you would to see taken if football with crowds was to return you don't seem able to come up with any suggestions in that respect. I'm not sure how the Club is meant to help if you don't know what you want yourself.

For what it's worth, if social distancing is still deemed desirable or necessary as we return to normal in general I can't think of a way to make it work in relation to football, the only thing I can think of is drastically reduced capacities and how do you find a fair way of allocating who gets in to see the games? Season ticket holders allowed in on a rotation basis? Surely not.  I think the only possible way forward is games BCD until infection rates are so low that crowds can be let back in as normal for those who wish to go.

If you have any alternative suggestions, I'm sure Rovers would love to hear them.

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I can understand Lyle Taylor not wanting play on his he got a big move on the cards. I don't know if he has btw

I’m sure you would be just as understanding and happy for players to refuse to turn out for the club in a relegation battle if it was Dack or Lenihan...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I’m sure you would be just as understanding and happy for players to refuse to turn out for the club in a relegation battle if it was Dack or Lenihan...

Taylor is 30 years old and out of contract. He told Charlton in January that he wouldn't be signing a new contract. So they could have sold him then

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Taylor is 30 years old and out of contract. He told Charlton in January that he wouldn't be signing a new contract. So they could have sold him then

To be fair though, Charlton would have been entitled to think that they had his services until the end of the normal season, whether he was leaving after that or not.

That said, Lee Bowyer was extremely vocal a few weeks back about how it would be a disgrace if the season were to be stopped now and his team to be relegated given that they only dropped into the relegation zone fairly recently so as we've all remarked countless times there is no perfect solution and for me completing the fixtures BCD is by far the next best option even if some Clubs are missing one or two players.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I'd actually be fuming if I was a Charlton fan. There wouldn't have been this messing if the season had finished at the normal time and In all probability next season will start correspondingly late to reflect the delay to the end of this one so I can't see any difference whatsoever or why any player absolutely has to complete a move to a new Club at the same time as they otherwise would have.

5 hours ago, tomphil said:

I doubt Tony will be able to get to Pune this summer and very little seems to get sorted until he's completed his annual pilgrimage.

Contact between Ewood and Pune is usually via Suhail who may well be out of the country. So I can't see many decisions any time soon.

I’ve watched a few games of BCD Football from the German league and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed them.

You get to see skilled footballers plying their trade without the histrionics of playing to the crowd. It’s pure football and if anyone is doubting the Premiership being diluted BCD then we might be in for some special games. I’m sure the Championship will be the same.

The start of football will give a big boost to a lot of us after 11 weeks of lockdown.

• Like 1