BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Issue is now, if the majority of L1/L2 clubs couldn’t afford to finish this season with no fans in the ground, how could they possibly start next season BCD?

What on earth will have become of the pyramid if fans aren’t allowed back for say, 12 months?

As far as I can see, it is essentially a case whereby unless something remarkable happens, ultimately nothing can be done should BCD be the only option for a substantial period of time. It all depends on how long it will last.

The double whammy is the extortionate cost of the regular testing required relative to the financial size of these clubs and the lack of income. Their fortune lies in the hands of the pandemic really.

Ideas of loans are fanciful but both unlikely and even if they were granted, many of them clubs couldnt cope with an additional chunk of debt, theyd probably need a grant. And a salary cap is a nice idea but essentially pissing in the wind at this stage.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

That’s the first time you’ve acknowledged that many clubs could go to the wall. Usually it’s been ‘well this could happen’, ‘the FA/PL/PFA could that’.

We all hope that loans are offered by the ‘football family’, but knowing the ineptness of the FA and the shoulder shruggers of the PL, it doesn’t seem very likely.

Rugby League has already sorted a government bailout, if EFL clubs are going to go down the same road, they and the government need to get into negotiations very quickly...

Mention Clubs going bust on 22nd April, is the link to my post on this

The FA could offer grants from their budget to league 1 and 2 clubs IMO looking at their financial reports online

Edited by chaddyrovers

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mention Clubs going bust on 22nd April, is the link to my post on this

The FA could offer grants from their budget to league 1 and 2 clubs IMO looking at their financial reports online

A lot of things could be offered by the likes of the FA and PL. (Which is what you were saying on the 22nd April, so you’ve been consistent in naively expecting infamously selfish and inept organisations to ride to the rescue).

Two months later and bugger all has been offered to these desperate clubs. Soon it will be too late for something to actually happen

Edited by Mattyblue

• J*B unpinned this topic
25 minutes ago, Tom said:

Funnily enough Lambert and Ipswich aren’t too happy with the decision 

Oh well 

Always someone else's fault with Lambert.

Now he'll be able to point to the fact the season never finished and pretend they were about to come with a late run and deflect attention away from the fact they had a monumental collapse.

Teflon man.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

A lot of things could be offered by the likes of the FA and PL. (Which is what you were saying on the 22nd April, so you’ve been consistent in naively expecting infamously selfish and inept organisations to ride to the rescue).

Two months later and bugger all has been offered to these desperate clubs. Soon it will be too late for something to actually happen

So I was right that I said few weeks ago we need to look after our lower leagues financially and that some clubs could go bust. The FA can afford to give some lower clubs grants or possible loans. 

We aren't into next season yet Matty. 

We need to finish this season and see which teams are getting promote 1st. 

Its looking like season wont start before Mid October time. 

Of course that’s right, everybody has been saying the lower league clubs need help, doesn’t take a genius to work out no income = no club.

Where you have been consistently  wrong is that you actually expect the football authorities to step up...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Where you have been consistently  wrong is that you actually expect the football authorities to step up...

How am I wrong when we haven't got to next season yet? Lets see what happens in the future. But lets get this season finish 1st

Edited by chaddyrovers

7 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course that’s right, everybody has been saying the lower league clubs need help, doesn’t take a genius to work out no income = no club.

Also what people seem to forget is as of a couple of years ago these loans would have been going to the Steve Dale's of Bury and Ken Anderson's of Bolton. I'm convinced there are still people like these chaps in the game (erm us?!?) who would divert those hardship loans well away from their clubs for self gain.

That cheque from whoever could be the lifeline for an owner to recoup some cash and run.

Edited by cesus
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Just because this season hasnt been finalised doesnt mean we cant consider and discuss the potential of what will happen next year either.

Very true.

I'm fearful that nowhere near enough attention on the long term future of the game has been given by the powers that be. We're scrambling to finish a season but there's absolutely no way we should be starting a new one behind closed doors.

Finishing 19/20 BCD is a supposed necessity, fine, okay, I can get that.

But starting 20/21 BCD is just insanity. 

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Just because this season hasnt been finalised doesnt mean we cant consider and discuss the potential of what will happen next year either.

Remind him of that next time he goes on about potential signings for next season ^_^

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Very true.

I'm fearful that nowhere near enough attention on the long term future of the game has been given by the powers that be. We're scrambling to finish a season but there's absolutely no way we should be starting a new one behind closed doors.

Finishing 19/20 BCD is a supposed necessity, fine, okay, I can get that.

But starting 20/21 BCD is just insanity. 

The problem is that there might be no choice but to start 20/21 behind closed doors, it might be the same choice that we have now, that or nothing.

If theres a second wave and if the government advice forbids sports played in front of a crowd going into late 2020 and into 2021, a fair possibility i would guess, then I cant really see much hope for the lower leagues, no plan could IMO prop them up for another year.

I read today that the wider sport industry is hopeful of having fans in grounds by the back end of the year, if allowed.

On the surface that’s good news. However, the industry is making a big assumption that fans will be happy to flock back to stadiums. Just like hopes for a V-shaped (or a version of V) economic recovery is based on public habits snapping back to the heavy consumer spending we had before, sport will expect fans to come back in similar numbers to before. 

If the virus is still circulating in the country (which it very likely will be, and to be clear, there won’t be a vaccine this year), many fans (especially older supporters, that make up large percentages of match goers) will be reticent to go back, I know a few myself. 

And that’s before we even think of the parts of the fanbase that are very worried about their personal finances and season tickets will be way down the list of priorities.

A League 2 club that budgets for 4,000 crowds and a few hundred hospitality heads per game, suddenly gets 2,000 and no hospitality, blowing a massive hole in budgets already decimated. Yes, it’s salvageable through wage cuts and the like, but BCD or not, many lower league club’s will take a long time to recover, if they ever do, as the PL and CL clubs carry on with their £60million transfers...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Another thing that I would point out, of course people understandably look to the powers that be and the bigger clubs to bail out the smaller ones.

The problem is firstly I am not sure that there is a pool of money available at the FA or similar that could come close to filling the hole that will be created should next season or part of next season be BCD, I am sure I read on here that testing is £5m per club for this small period to finish the season. I might be totally wrong on that but if it is the cost across a large chunk or a full season would be extortionate even before looking at loss of earnings. Of course the smaller and more in need clubs should be prioritised so I dont see how that is possible.

You then come onto the big clubs, who of course should have a duty of care to the smaller ones. But you look for example at Chelsea spending these multi million transfer fees and it does leave a bitter taste. Ultimately that money however is not coming from the club, who like all clubs will have been impacted in terms of the financial hit of the virus solely in terms of income and costs generated from business activities. The money is coming from the back pocket from a Russian oligarch who has money to burn. He should have a duty of care as the owner of an English football club but I just dont see barring an incredible gesture how he could be enforced or could ever decide himself to go, actually no ill chuck that money into the lower leagues. Sadly would never happen. 

I expect there will be some sort of rescue package put in place using some of the media and Premier League money to at least give the impression that the rich clubs have 'done their bit' to try and avoid disaster for the minnows.

Unfortunately this may not be enough, and it will also probably come with caveats that the small clubs will be unable to resist. 

Expect Guardiola's desire for B teams in the Football League or feeder clubs to gain ground. Expect rule changes e.g. permanent mid season breaks, more power for the Prem clubs etc. All sold to the public as a necessary evil to stop clubs going bust.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

I expect there will be some sort of rescue package put in place using some of the media and Premier League money to at least give the impression that the rich clubs have 'done their bit' to try and avoid disaster for the minnows.

Unfortunately this may not be enough, and it will also probably come with caveats that the small clubs will be unable to resist. 

Expect Guardiola's desire for B teams in the Football League or feeder clubs to gain ground. Expect rule changes e.g. permanent mid season breaks, more power for the Prem clubs etc. All sold to the public as a necessary evil to stop clubs going bust.

Agreed, I could definitely see the PL clubs turning their backs on L1/L2 clubs and instead ‘helping’ the EFL by putting their own U21 teams in there to fill the gaps left by long standing community-bonding clubs.

Bury x 48 and you’re on your own folks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/05/2020 at 13:32, Darrenbot said:

With the likelihood of there being no fans at the playoffs you would think they would play the play off finals at a ground that is close to both teams, i dont see the point of playing at an empty Wembley if its 2 northern teams in a final.

Perfectly sensible that darren...

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2020/june/championship-play-off-dates-confirmed/

Joke of a decision.I dont see the point of playing it at Wembley when its going to be empty,i know its not likely but  say we play Preston both teams have to travel down there to play 1 game.Play it at Old Trafford if its 2 northern teams if they want a big ground for the final

The mega club Real Madrid as they flight for a league title are currently playing their games at their training ground’s mini stadium (6,000 capacity).

But of course the ridiculous EFL decides it has to play 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier matches in a 90,000 capacity empty ground ?‍♂️

Edited by Mattyblue

Well obviously! 

But considering there will be no gate or hospitality receipts, but still a hefty staging cost it makes zero sense to still play them there... but then they would have to come to an agreement with another ridiculous organisation in the FA.

• Like 2