BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You could say that about our owners and many others too even before all of this. I dont believe that solely the TV money covering 9 games (baring in mind there is no ticket money for these games and that full player wages will need to resume, in some instances past their existing contract expiry dates) will make a huge difference for a club like Reading. The main thing is that the financial situations around football clubs are not as important as peoples lives so ultimately it shouldnt be a primary consideration anyway.

Under my suggestion of at least ruling out playing any football in the next month or two, no you dont need a plan. Essentially now would be considered the off-season and rather than creating needless dates for potentially resumptions, essentially we would wait and see what the situation was like in a couple of months. With the decision then made as to whether to train and then play or wait further.

I think its incredibly fanciful to suggest that the Premier League will play these fixtures, be far better off simply based on the small remaining chuck on TV money they may receive and filter it all back into the lower leagues. 

Yes you could but with our owners being in the industries they aren't they going bankrupt but other owners quite possible. 

Player's contracts can be extend by a month if both parties agree to this. 

No one has said that Financial situations around football clubs is not as important as people lives so no idea why you keep posting it cos no one is saying it is. 

And what happens if the situation in a few months time around September or October is even worse than now and we are under second lockdown and second peak of the Virus. We have no idea what will happen in the future. Plus what are UEFA plans for their 2 club competitions for this season and next. Have we heard from them yet? 

The PL and clubs have big decisions to make considering all the factors they have. Supposedly the EFL is waiting for them to make decision. The FA have said they will be relegation and promotion this season whatever happens. 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes you could but with our owners being in the industries they aren't they going bankrupt but other owners quite possible. 

Player's contracts can be extend by a month if both parties agree to this. 

No one has said that Financial situations around football clubs is not as important as people lives so no idea why you keep posting it cos no one is saying it is. 

And what happens if the situation in a few months time around September or October is even worse than now and we are under second lockdown and second peak of the Virus. We have no idea what will happen in the future. Plus what are UEFA plans for their 2 club competitions for this season and next. Have we heard from them yet? 

The PL and clubs have big decisions to make considering all the factors they have. Supposedly the EFL is waiting for them to make decision. The FA have said they will be relegation and promotion this season whatever happens. 

Chaddy if a second wave means that around September the situation is worse then the situation is simple. Still no football is played.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, rigger said:

So as I stated, a perfect game to judge the commitment of the players. What point where you trying to make?

I anticipate football behind closed doors will be a bit like WWE without a crowd. Not as good as the real thing.but better than nothing.

Other than the fact that the WWE might be losing a shed load of money I can't for the life of me see the need for wrestling, which is fictitious entertainment, to continue. The difference with football is that it is a legitimate competition and you need to complete last season's fixtures before even thinking about next if the game is going to retain any shred of integrity or credibility.

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I anticipate football behind closed doors will be a bit like WWE without a crowd. Not as good as the real thing.but better than nothing.

Other than the fact that the WWE might be losing a shed load of money I can't for the life of me see the need for wrestling, which is fictitious entertainment, to continue. The difference with football is that it is a legitimate competition and you need to complete last season's fixtures before even thinking about next if the game is going to retain any shred of integrity or credibility.

I was replying to Mattyblue.

PS. what is WWE ?

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Chaddy if a second wave means that around September the situation is worse then the situation is simple. Still no football is played.

And what if you wait now, because conditions don't conform to some utopian ideal, then there is a second wave at some later date and conditions actually deteriorate slightly? You've needlessly sacrificed this season, even though it might have been possible to finish under controlled conditions, when it wasn't possible to complete next season anyway.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

And what if you wait now, because conditions don't conform to some utopian ideal, then there is a second wave at some later date and conditions actually deteriorate slightly? You've needlessly sacrificed this season, even though it might have been possible to finish under controlled conditions, when it wasn't possible to complete next season anyway.

We seemingly have different standarda on whats safe and whats not. Just because a hypothetical scenario could lead to a rise in deaths doesnt mean that its safe now or that we should have played now.

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

And what if you wait noyouasw, because conditions don't conform to some utopian ideal, then there is a second wave at some later date and conditions actually deteriorate slightly? You've needlessly sacrificed this season, even though it might have been possible to finish under controlled conditions, when it wasn't possible to complete next season anyway.

If as you state things get worse and there is no foreseeable future for football, what is the point of finishing this season and risking the players?

• Like 1

Just now, rigger said:

I was replying to Mattyblue.

PS. what is WWE ?

I know you were, apologies for intersecting with my point of view.

WWE is World Wrestling Entertainment. Huge Conglomerate based in Florida who have continued to air live shows behind closed doors from their training facility. It appears they're are so integral to the local economy they've been deemed an essential business and been given special dispensation to carry on.

I don't really care whether they carry on or not, I was merely pointing out that their behind closed doors product is imo not as good as with a crowd but passable and better than nothing and I'd expect the same to apply to football behind closed doors.

I know you were, apologies for intersecting with my point of view.

WWE is World Wrestling Entertainment. Huge Conglomerate based in Florida who have continued to air live shows behind closed doors from their training facility. It appears they're are so integral to the local economy they've been deemed an essential business and been given special dispensation to carry on.

I don't really care whether they carry on or not, I was merely pointing out that their behind closed doors product is imo not as good as with a crowd but passable and better than nothing and I'd expect the same to apply to football behind closed doors.

OK, but I must admit I am not a believer in "better than nothing". If something is sub standard, I will not watch it. That is why I will be interested to see how the German games go. I will not be watching, but I am interested in the performances.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We seemingly have different standarda on whats safe and whats not. Just because a hypothetical scenario could lead to a rise in deaths doesnt mean that its safe now or that we should have played now.

Don't really understand your point. You can't not attempt to complete this season because there might be a second wave at a later date which would affect next season.

Using the same analogy there's no point us ever attempting to come out of lockdown or attempting to get normal life back on track because it might trigger a second wave of the virus.

You may not agree but in my opinion the situation regarding the virus will be constant whether football returns behind closed doors or not. The situation will be what ever it is with this season either having been completed or cancelled.

Far better to have completed it imo

1 hour ago, rigger said:

So as I stated, a perfect game to judge the commitment of the players. What point where you trying to make?

I was just adding my view of what makes a Derby, with this being a message board and all...

Edited by Mattyblue

12 minutes ago, rigger said:

If as you state things get worse and there is no foreseeable future for football, what is the point of finishing this season and risking the players?

I don't believe the players are at any particular risk by playing under controlled conditions. Certainly far less than in carrying on with their every day lives.

We don't know if the situation will get worse and affect next season, it probably wont, but even if it did at least if this season was completed, when next did eventually resume everyone is starting from a genuine position based on merit as opposed to an unfair and artificially contrived end to this season.

9 minutes ago, rigger said:

OK, but I must admit I am not a believer in "better than nothing". If something is sub standard, I will not watch it. That is why I will be interested to see how the German games go. I will not be watching, but I am interested in the performances.

If it's on BT, I've got that included in my package and I'll be tuning in simply for the sake of finally seeing some live action.

The thing that would interest me from a theoretical standpoint would be whether hone advantage is substantially affected by the lack of a crowd or more or less unchanged.

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I don't believe the players are at any particular risk by playing under controlled conditions. Certainly far less than in carrying on with their every day lives.

We don't know if the situation will get worse and affect next season, it probably wont, but even if it did at least if this season was completed, when next did eventually resume everyone is starting from a genuine position based on merit as opposed to an unfair and artificially contrived end to this season.

It depends what the controlled conditions are and how they effect the playing of the game.

If it's on BT, I've got that included in my package and I'll be tuning in simply for the sake of finally seeing some live action.

The thing that would interest me from a theoretical standpoint would be whether hone advantage is substantially affected by the lack of a crowd or more or less unchanged.

Personally I would think that the thing most effected by lack of home fans, will be the decisions made by the officials. But this would be hard to quantify, because as we know officials are not influenced by the crowd. 

• Backroom
6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It’s because Vince McMahon is a madman, I actually quite like that they’ve embraced it and gone all out crazy with some of the stuff they’ve done 

Lets do that with the footy, instead of games in stadiums have them in random places, down Pleasy, that shitty pitch up in the woods maybe or up at Blacksnape 

9 minutes ago, Tom said:

It’s because Vince McMahon is a madman, I actually quite like that they’ve embraced it and gone all out crazy with some of the stuff they’ve done 

Lets do that with the footy, instead of games in stadiums have them in random places, down Pleasy, that shitty pitch up in the woods maybe or up at Blacksnape 

I remember bad ones at Whitebirk

27 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Clubs want to get training again but the PL are insisting that all players sign their training protocol document. It looks like a disclaimer to me.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11987232/coronavirus-players-must-sign-consent-for-group-training

The papers this morning suggesting a number of players are refusing to sign it.  Don't blame them.  Sounds like the PL trying to cover their backs if players or their families succumb to the virus.

51 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Clubs want to get training again but the PL are insisting that all players sign their training protocol document. It looks like a disclaimer to me.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11987232/coronavirus-players-must-sign-consent-for-group-training

Seem to be sensible decision. 

German clubs have bought in a similar protocol but not sure if players had to sign it.