BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

Troy Deeney, Glenn Murray, Aaron Cresswell, Curtis Davies and Tammy Abraham (who lives with his dad who has asthma) are the latest players to suggest that their welfare is perhaps not being considered and they are being expected to play without being asked of their opinion.

I definitely think there should be scope for players to be able to refuse to play and indeed I think some of the negative feedback on account of the amount they (at the top) get paid is a little distasteful really, earning more money does not absolve them from being human beings fearful of a pandemic like the rest of us and with vulnerable family members or indeed themselves. I have seen interviews and comments from players from BAME background for example or a couple (I think Curtis Davies said as such yesterday) with conditions such as asthma.

I am not sure it should be that they should be not paid at all but I definitely think there should be agreements in place whereby not playing leads to a heavily deducted wage. It does raise even further questions about the integrity of the game, say Watford go down and their captain isnt playing...

I think a lot of people are thinking far too rigidly in black and white terms, ie either start now or you cant until a vaccine is created. Obviously there is a good chance a vaccine will never be successfully made, but it isnt as simple as that, at the moment the risk is still high, whereby as time passes (obviously recent government steps will not necessary help this) the risk we hope will reduce, the rate of infection will reduce, the number of deaths each day will reduce, and thus the overall risk of catching and even dying from coronvirus will go down. Not finishing the season is not ideal but its just becoming an incredibly expensive, rushed and flawed process to squeeze in the last few games in a quick period of time with still high risk. Will a vaccine be available in 3 or 4 months? Almost certainly not but we can hope that the risk is less even if it never becomes totally nil.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Although he does usually talk bollocks, if theres truth in that, I just dont see how a large chunk or perhaps all of next season if necessary can go ahead in the football league next season financially. 5m for one league only over the space of an intended 5 or 6 weeks.

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Troy Deeney, Glenn Murray, Aaron Cresswell, Curtis Davies and Tammy Abraham (who lives with his dad who has asthma) are the latest players to suggest that their welfare is perhaps not being considered and they are being expected to play without being asked of their opinion.

All, apart from TA are threatened with relegation.....do you think this has a connection?

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

All, apart from TA are threatened with relegation.....do you think this has a connection?

Perhaps but suppose thats a further problem with teying to finish a season whereby teams and players have biased self interests and agendas in terms of league positions.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, arbitro said:

I believe that any referee who doesn't feel safe will not be forced to go out onto a pitch but my gut feeling is that none will refuse. I would have to give it serious consideration but based on what we know now I would refuse.

I reckon that ref's are the safest of all on the pitch. Although close to the action they are not in it. Linesmen too.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Although he does usually talk bollocks, if theres truth in that, I just dont see how a large chunk or perhaps all of next season if necessary can go ahead in the football league next season financially. 5m for one league only over the space of an intended 5 or 6 weeks.

We don't know what will happen by next season. lets focus on getting this season done 1st and work out next season after. 

By the time of the start of next season we could have some sort of vaccine or treatment in place given the news coming out from Oxford University. 

9 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I reckon that ref's are the safest of all on the pitch. Although close to the action they are not in it. Linesmen too.

In fluid play it shouldn't be too difficult but some set plays where players have to be managed from close proximity might cause concerns.

For all those who have repeatedly put forward the flawed view that playing football is needed to save football clubs lower down financially, they are close to agreeing to stop the season.

Ultimately they will seemingly have to use a quite frankly ridicilious PPG system because of the supposed and apparent "need" to have promotions and relegated from a season cut short in a pandemic.

Screenshot_20200515-143622_Twitter.jpg

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We don't know what will happen by next season. lets focus on getting this season done 1st and work out next season after. 

By the time of the start of next season we could have some sort of vaccine or treatment in place given the news coming out from Oxford University. 

Or lets realise that the risk is still too high at the moment and that many players are unhappy/unwilling and seemingly havent been consulted due to the men in suits lust to meet TV obligations. And instead of forcing an unethical, compromised and unfair end to an unprecedented season just call it off for a few months. Health aside, even having a situation whereby 3 teams will be relegated (probably Championship onto League 1) having played only certain fixtures behind closed doors and replaced by 3 teams promoted on the premise of a flawed mathematical formula is absolutely stupid.

I think the chances of having a vaccine in place in 3 months readily available is minimal and fanciful in the extreme. But ultimately the risk may be far less than it is now.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Put simply, football cannot return while stadiums are empty.

Can't have Burnley being given such a weighty advantage!

If it is all to be held at neutral venues it would probably be a disadvantage for them. They won't be allowed to put 10 men behind the ball, sit deep and narrow and let the small pitch do the work for them.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Or lets realise that the risk is still too high at the moment and that many players are unhappy/unwilling and seemingly havent been consulted due to the men in suits lust to meet TV obligations. And instead of forcing an unethical, compromised and unfair end to an unprecedented season just call it off for a few months. Health aside, even having a situation whereby 3 teams will be relegated (probably Championship onto League 1) having played only certain fixtures behind closed doors and replaced by 3 teams promoted on the premise of a flawed mathematical formula is absolutely stupid.

I think the chances of having a vaccine in place in 3 months readily available is minimal and fanciful in the extreme. But ultimately the risk may be far less than it is now.

You dont know if a vaccine will be ready in 3 months but you read the articles I've posted about the great progress made by Oxford university there is a major hope they will be ready by September. 

NHS and Social care staff should be 1st tho. PL are putting regular testing in place. 

You say the risk is too high but the 'R' rate is dropping. London's 'R' rate is 0.40 whilst North East/Yorkshire is 0.80. 

Plus it going to another month at least before clubs will be playing each other.  but some players are training in training grounds already. 

11 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Not a chance there will be a vaccine ready for use in September.

(Feel free to find and quote this post later as I’d like nothing more than to be wrong). 

If there is a vaccine available in September, it hasn’t been tested properly.

28 minutes ago, rigger said:

If there is a vaccine available in September, it hasn’t been tested properly.

testing is happening righty now. 

Reports from this testing could be ready mid June. Look at Oxford University professor John Bell comments

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-vaccine-human-trial-results-oxford-university-a9513976.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/14/oxford-vaccine-trial-moves-hospitals-covid-19-prevalent-scientist/

45 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Not a chance there will be a vaccine ready for use in September.

(Feel free to find and quote this post later as I’d like nothing more than to be wrong). 

Sarah Gilbert professor from Oxford University who running the search for a vaccine and the human tests. Said in April that it could be ready in September. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8209523/Oxford-expert-Coronavirus-vaccine-ready-September-80-likelihood-work.html

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Reports from this testing could be ready mid June. Look at Oxford University professor John Bell comments

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-vaccine-human-trial-results-oxford-university-a9513976.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/14/oxford-vaccine-trial-moves-hospitals-covid-19-prevalent-scientist/

Sarah Gilbert professor from Oxford University who running the search for a vaccine and the human tests. Said in April that it could be ready in September. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8209523/Oxford-expert-Coronavirus-vaccine-ready-September-80-likelihood-work.html

You believe anything you read. If you want it to happen don't you?  A vaccine (if one is ever found) is at least 18 months away on the streets......

Personally my belief is that this is man made and a vaccine won't be found...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Personally I will not be taking a vaccine for something that might have no physical effect on me, until at least one year of trials for side-effects have been carried out. Remember Thalidomide.

Common sense finally prevails in League 2, now lets hope that the top 3 division finally make the sensible decison

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

You dont know if a vaccine will be ready in 3 months but you read the articles I've posted about the great progress made by Oxford university there is a major hope they will be ready by September. 

If you really believe that a vaccine will be ready in 3 months time then I've got a bridge in London going cheap to sell you.

• Like 2

I don’t doubt their best endeavours, God speed to them. However I like to look at past examples. Vaccines are renowned for failing at clinical trial.

Now obviously usually they don’t have anywhere near this amount of finance and scientific manpower behind them, but it is still extremely difficult to pull off in this timeframe, despite the positivity.

If you seriously think we‘ll all be rocking up at our GP’s in just over 3 months with our sleeves rolled up just because a scientist at Oxford is making progress in his lab, then you are going to be very disappointed.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Common sense finally prevails in League 2, now lets hope that the top 3 division finally make the sensible decison

If you really believe that a vaccine will be ready in 3 months time then I've got a bridge in London going cheap to sell you.

Well you havent read the latest EFL statement saying that Championship clubs want to resume the season. League 1 clubs are split on resuming the season. 

Who knows if the vaccine will be ready in 3 months but that's what is the latest info from Oxford university. 

24 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I don’t doubt their best endeavours, God speed to them. However I like to look at past examples. Vaccines are renowned for failing at clinical trial.

Now obviously usually they don’t have anywhere near this amount of finance and scientific manpower behind them, but it is still extremely difficult to pull off in this timeframe, despite the positivity.

If you seriously think we‘ll all be rocking up at our GP’s in just over 3 months with our sleeves rolled up just because a scientist at Oxford is making progress in his lab, then you are going to be very disappointed.

That's why the government has said they will provided the funds to mass produce the vaccine. We have given them 20 million pounds. 

I didnt say I would be rocking up at my GP's in 3 months times. NHS and social care staff should be 1st along with the Elderly as I said before on here!

Ok if you think the NHS and elderly will be rolling up in 3 months etc...

(And even if those groups did receive them by some miracle in a few months time, the likes of me and you would be way off receiving one, so that would still mean many, many months/a year + of behind closed doors football)

Edited by Mattyblue

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

You believe anything you read. If you want it to happen don't you?  A vaccine (if one is ever found) is at least 18 months away on the streets......

Personally my belief is that this is man made and a vaccine won't be found...

If it was man made then there is a vaccine waiting in the wings, now where could that be Chinaaa  perhaps, On another note how are the authorities going to stop players from spitting during games, will it be a sending off offence. 

Edited by EgyptianPete
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Ok if you think the NHS and elderly will be rolling up in 3 months etc...

(And even if those groups did receive them by some miracle in a few months time, the likes of me and you would be way off receiving one, so that would still mean many, many months/a year + of behind closed doors football)

Why be so judgement and let's see where we are at the time. I have posted links to comments from 2 Oxford university professors and when it could be ready. 

I wasnt expecting to be in a football stadium anytime before Christmas. EFL Chairman Rick Parry and Rovers CEO Waggott has said dont expect fans in stadiums this year.