Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kamy100

Football League Suspended

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, m1st said:

Now that's a good idea I'd not thought of. Perhaps we need, at least for the next few seasons, to go back to the concept of regional divisions for the present Leagues One and Two.

Well thought-of, that man!

Thanks bro. I’ve sent an email to our friends at the EFL with my suggestion but I doubt it will happen as it doesn’t sit well with the Premier League’s possible timescale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I wondered this at first. But I think we will miss the whole thing so much that when it comes back people will want to be a part of it still.

 

It might be a problem if there was anything else to do but there isn't going to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Incredible times.

At one point top earners will have to take massive pay cuts, and even players on smaller salaries have to take cuts, in order to keep clubs afloat. The alternative is to allow clubs to go under and everyone loses their job.

Edit: It's actually started: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51980881

 

Edited by Mr. E

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It feels now like, whatever happens, Liverpool won’t really have won the title. Even if their name goes in the record books it will have an asterisk next to it.

Going back to @arbitro’s point, I think there is a very real possibility that fans will lose interest. Sadly, we don’t have a board capable of any imagination when it comes to attracting lapsed fans. This could impact us quite badly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If one small good thing could come out of this it would be championship wages becoming more realistic all across the board 

Half the players in this basic bread and butter league don't know they are born 

Liverpool not getting the  Prem title would be the icing on the cake 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Stuart said:

It feels now like, whatever happens, Liverpool won’t really have won the title. Even if their name goes in the record books it will have an asterisk next to it.

Going back to @arbitro’s point, I think there is a very real possibility that fans will lose interest. Sadly, we don’t have a board capable of any imagination when it comes to attracting lapsed fans. This could impact us quite badly.

There could of course be an upsurge in attendances as a sort of solidarity with the clubs. 

Everyone has taken football for granted and never had to go through anything like this since the World Wars. 

Whatever happens, things won’t be the same

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

There could of course be an upsurge in attendances as a sort of solidarity with the clubs. 

Everyone has taken football for granted and never had to go through anything like this since the World Wars. 

Whatever happens, things won’t be the same

There are different categories of football fans and the one I would personally be worried about are ones who simply find that they aren't missing it. I fear that new season tickets will be on sale well before another ball is kicked and I feel that some current season ticket holders simply won't bother renewing. Then there is the question of cost as the disposable income of many will disappear. If ever there was a time to review the price of watching football it is now.

Either way it's going to be a testing time for football in ten of which the vast majority have never seen before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

There are different categories of football fans and the one I would personally be worried about are ones who simply find that they aren't missing it. I fear that new season tickets will be on sale well before another ball is kicked and I feel that some current season ticket holders simply won't bother renewing. Then there is the question of cost as the disposable income of many will disappear. If ever there was a time to review the price of watching football it is now.

Either way it's going to be a testing time for football in ten of which the vast majority have never seen before.

The football authorities, TV companies and clubs will need to be imaginative to ensure football is affordable and attractive. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time for the £199 STs, get as many back as possible it could be desperate times and they call for desperate measures.

When the Tories are getting generous you know it's serious so Waggot/Cheston/Venkys follow their lead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Time for the £199 STs, get as many back as possible it could be desperate times and they call for desperate measures.

When the Tories are getting generous you know it's serious so Waggot/Cheston/Venkys follow their lead.

Blackburn End lower safe standing S/T £200 walk on £15

Blackburn End upper seated same price 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, arbitro said:

There are different categories of football fans and the one I would personally be worried about are ones who simply find that they aren't missing it. I fear that new season tickets will be on sale well before another ball is kicked and I feel that some current season ticket holders simply won't bother renewing. Then there is the question of cost as the disposable income of many will disappear. If ever there was a time to review the price of watching football it is now.

Either way it's going to be a testing time for football in ten of which the vast majority have never seen before.

You're spot on in this regard Tony: Particularly when you consider the standard of football that we've been witnessing. There have been few thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining games at Ewood for yonks and when you factor in the apparent lack of desire to truly compete for the promotion places, many fans will chose not to bother in future. The lack of attachment between the owners, those at 'the top' with fans will further compound the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rigger said:

Blackburn End lower safe standing S/T £200 walk on £15

Blackburn End upper seated same price 

Good idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally can’t see fans being allowed into football grounds for a very long time. 12 months? Who knows.

So something completely out of the box will need to be attempted to re-engage supporters.

The only ‘modern’ comparison would be post WW2, but even then there had been football played to crowds through the war and culturally it was a different world.

So let’s hope the club is up to the challenge, or Blackburn Rovers and a big chunk of our clubs as we know them have gone for good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With social distancing likely to be in place for some time with the approach today appearing to be manage this disease by a period of lockdown and subsequent less intense restrictions reacting to any subsequent waves of infection with further lockdowns the fact we have large areas of underused seating may work to our advantage. Can see in future crowd restrictions being applied relative to the size of the grounds as a means of progress in the future when we are further into this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can I throw a different spin on it and say I’m that desperate for football to commence that I’ve forgotten how bad some of the games where and will just be delighted to smell the wet grass again 

that’s with regards to the debate about people finding other pastimes 

Edited by Oldgregg86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Can I throw a different spin on it and say I’m that desperate for football to commence that I’ve forgotten how bad some of the games where and will just be delighted to smell the wet grass again 

that’s with regards to the debate about people finding other pastimes 

This!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now i'd take a striker on the wing, a midfielder at full back and a full back as centre forward.  Anything just to see some sort of football !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When is the next EFL update?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a long haul. May's finals postponed, looking like the Olympic Games are going. we are in lockdown for a minimum three weeks. Folk aren't taking it seriously enough. I'm a key worker, though not in the NHS, I'm extremely concerned working in the court system where you will not believe how lax the Government's advice is not being followed, and you can imagine the criminals in society don't have hand sanitation at the top of their daily list. I don't expect nor have any expectation of sympathy, but the police are still locking up vulnerable members of society, who are entitled to representation. I'm not sure we will get any football soon.I'm shit scared, my partner is in a vulnerable group, and I cannot see her for a minimum of three weeks, and I suspect a lot longer, as we don't live together.

Sport has to take a back seat.

Very difficult times.

I wish everybody well, and be sensible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

It's a long haul. May's finals postponed, looking like the Olympic Games are going. we are in lockdown for a minimum three weeks. Folk aren't taking it seriously enough. I'm a key worker, though not in the NHS, I'm extremely concerned working in the court system where you will not believe how lax the Government's advice is not being followed, and you can imagine the criminals in society don't have hand sanitation at the top of their daily list. I don't expect nor have any expectation of sympathy, but the police are still locking up vulnerable members of society, who are entitled to representation. I'm not sure we will get any football soon.I'm shit scared, my partner is in a vulnerable group, and I cannot see her for a minimum of three weeks, and I suspect a lot longer, as we don't live together.

Sport has to take a back seat.

Very difficult times.

I wish everybody well, and be sensible. 

Best of luck mate - however crap we might all feel this is ive got huge sympathy with your situation .

i hope you get through the stress of it ok between you and that you all emerge healthy . 

Keep well fella 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TBTF said:

Best of luck mate - however crap we might all feel this is ive got huge sympathy with your situation .

i hope you get through the stress of it ok between you and that you all emerge healthy . 

Keep well fella 

Ditto. Stay strong everyone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

It's a long haul. May's finals postponed, looking like the Olympic Games are going. we are in lockdown for a minimum three weeks. Folk aren't taking it seriously enough. I'm a key worker, though not in the NHS, I'm extremely concerned working in the court system where you will not believe how lax the Government's advice is not being followed, and you can imagine the criminals in society don't have hand sanitation at the top of their daily list. I don't expect nor have any expectation of sympathy, but the police are still locking up vulnerable members of society, who are entitled to representation. I'm not sure we will get any football soon.I'm shit scared, my partner is in a vulnerable group, and I cannot see her for a minimum of three weeks, and I suspect a lot longer, as we don't live together.

Sport has to take a back seat.

Very difficult times.

I wish everybody well, and be sensible. 

Good luck. For a while, it seemed I used to spend half my working life, mingling in the juvenile court throng!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Non-League season below National League (so Northern Premier downwards) cancelled and records expunged.

Lower stakes in many ways than the pro game, and certainly you couldn’t imagine Truro City, South Shields et al having the means to begin legal action against their league, but a precedent?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52052351

Edited by Mattyblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.