BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Also, many teams want relegation to be removed:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11998347/premier-league-restart-up-to-10-clubs-want-relegation-scrapped-if-season-is-curtailed

If you remove relegation then it is even more going through the motions and you may aswell just null and void it.

That article only says teams want relegation scrapped if the season is scrapped or curtailed after an attempted restart.

Which makes it all the more important every effort is made to play the season out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rigger said:

I doubt if a reliable vaccine will ever be found, as viruses tend to mutate, to negate the effects of vaccines.

we will see. seen some reports that we will get a vaccine and treatment but we will see

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

This Blake's manager Mark Warburton was on the radio a couple of weeks ago and he was equally vehemently opposed to the season not being finished on the pitch and all the talk of scrapping the season. 

Maybe they should speak to one another and make their mind up.

Yes he was on Sky Sports. QPR's complaint is over the timing of the announcement

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

And who says it will be safe by then and what happens if no vaccine or treatment is found? 

There won't be a reliable vaccine for years, if at all. This is why the clubs should be working now to understand how they will achieve safe attendance.

If the clubs do not resolve this situation football will become a TV sport. In other words football in this country will be dead.

As @Stuart so rightly says the footballing authorities reinforce with every day that passes they have zero interest in the fans or in finding ways to return fans to the grounds.

Rovers should take a lead on this. There is no reason at all why the club should not work on this immediately. The management would gain significant kudos amongst the fan base and the wider game.

Football has forgotten me.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Also, many teams want relegation to be removed:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11998347/premier-league-restart-up-to-10-clubs-want-relegation-scrapped-if-season-is-curtailed

If you remove relegation then it is even more going through the motions and you may aswell just null and void it.

That's if the season has to stopped. 

Chaddy, you seem to think there’s nothing to worry about as we will spend a few months BCD then we’ll get our vaccines and back we go.

When told that vaccines are notoriously difficult to produce and can take years/decades, if one arrives at all, you just go ‘well I’ve seen that Oxford are working really hard and we’ll have one by September (!!!)’ or ‘we’ll see’

So even though I imagine you’ll have a whale of a time watching BCD matches 6 times a weekend for the foreseeable, what is your solution if we get to this time next year with no vaccine? And how many clubs will be left, BCD comes at a cost, it’s not just beamed into your living room as a means of altruism by the clubs, there’s a whole infrastructure to support. BCD will finish most clubs outside the top flight if it goes on indefinitely...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

There won't be a reliable vaccine for years, if at all. This is why the clubs should be working now to understand how they will achieve safe attendance.

If the clubs do not resolve this situation football will become a TV sport. In other words football in this country will be dead.

As @Stuart so rightly says the footballing authorities reinforce with every day that passes they have zero interest in the fans or in finding ways to return fans to the grounds.

Rovers should take a lead on this. There is no reason at all why the club should not work on this immediately. The management would gain significant kudos amongst the fan base and the wider game.

This isn't for the Clubs to work out though, Paul. Imagine if they tried to make Ewood "Covid-Secure" (its the new buzzphrase in industry right now) and then half of the BBE ended up with it after a game? There'd be claims going in left right & centre.

The only easy answer to getting people back inside is a vaccine but as you say, is that even possible? Society has to move on from this whole episode eventually. The balancing of risk is something to be considered carefully by the health authorities, not by our clubs. If I was running a club the only way I'd entertain letting fans back inside is if clear guidlines were issued for me to follow, and the health advice was that mass events were allowed again.

Then again, we are in a fairly good position to stay 2m apart at Ewood these days and not have any of our usual attendees miss out....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Paul said:

we don't know this so lets leave it to experts from Oxford University and other people who are working on the vaccine. Sarah Gilbert from Oxford University was confident of a vaccine by September when talking BBC in April. We have ordered 100 million doses of the vaccine as long as it works

The EFL clubs know fans are important to their clubs and the community. 

If the football authorities and the government had no interest in the fans then they wouldn't have put every Premier League game on TV so fans of all PL clubs can watch them. I expect the EFL will do similar with the games. Whether it watching online of Sky Tv. 

I disagree that Football has forgotten me. They have provided me with plenty of TV Coverage to watch live football. 

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Chaddy, you seem to think we will spend a few months BCD then we’ll get our vaccines and back we go.

When told that vaccines are notoriously difficult to produce and can take years/decades, if one arrives at all, you just go ‘well I’ve seen that Oxford are working really hard’ or ‘we’ll see’

So even though I imagine you’ll have a whale of a time watching BCD matches 6 times a weekend for the foreseeable, what is your solution if we get to this time next year with no vaccine? And how many clubs will be left, as BCD will finish most clubs outside the top flight if it goes on indefinitely...

I agree there may not be a reliable vaccine in the foreseeable future or indeed ever. 

Surely though, that's the strongest possible argument to let as many Clubs play BCD in the  short to medium term in the  hope they can survive?

16 minutes ago, Paul said:

You're the one who is particularly worried Paul, what sort of measures would you like to see?

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Chaddy, you seem to think we will spend a few months BCD then we’ll get our vaccines and back we go.

When told that vaccines are notoriously difficult to produce and can take years/decades, if one arrives at all, you just go ‘well I’ve seen that Oxford are working really hard’ or ‘we’ll see’

So even though I imagine you’ll have a whale of a time watching BCD matches 6 times a weekend for the foreseeable, what is your solution if we get to this time next year with no vaccine? And how many clubs will be left, BCD comes at a cost, it’s not just beamed into your living room as a means of altruism by the clubs, there’s a whole infrastructure to support. BCD will finish most clubs outside the top flight if it goes on indefinitely...

The government has banned supporters from attending games and from other sporting events. 

Look at the comments from Sarah Gilbert at Oxford university when she was on BBC in April saying she was 80% sure she would have vaccine by September. We have ordered 100 million doses. So why don't we wait and see first. It could end of the year. who knows. Lets leave it to the experts. 

Just imagine attending a game currently with social distancing and other measures in place. It would be nightmare unless we are going to wear face masks/coverings plus gloves. Plus imagine using the toilet or the catering facilities. It would a logistics nightmare and chaos at a football stadium  

12 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I agree there may not be a reliable vaccine in the foreseeable future or indeed ever. 

Surely though, that's the strongest possible argument to let as many Clubs play BCD in the  short to medium term in the  hope they can survive?

And that’s what will be happening and that’s fine.

Chaddy however is all for BCD as he doesn’t agree with trying social distancing in grounds as it’s logistically difficult and there’s no point anyway as he believes BCD is only a temporary measure as  there’s every chance of a vaccine for the entire country in 3 MONTHS. 

It’s cloud cuckoo land stuff and in reality if we are waiting for a vaccine to let fans back them it’s going to be years BCD and therefore the end of our fantastic league structure. To get this season done, BCD is here and we’ll just get on with it, but the game is in big trouble medium term from where I’m standing. Something he’s in total denial about, largely on the word of a professor at Oxford, by the looks of it.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The government has banned supporters from attending games and from other sporting events. 

Look at the comments from Sarah Gilbert at Oxford university when she was on BBC in April saying she was 80% sure she would have vaccine by September. We have ordered 100 million doses. So why don't we wait and see first. It could end of the year. who knows. Lets leave it to the experts. 

Just imagine attending a game currently with social distancing and other measures in place. It would be nightmare unless we are going to wear face masks/coverings plus gloves. Plus imagine using the toilet or the catering facilities. It would a logistics nightmare and chaos at a football stadium  

Do you think that she would come out and say, there is no chance of a vaccine and our research is a waste of your money 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So if she hadn’t been a virologist she could have been a politician. She covered every outcome, without committing to any of them. If there is a generally available vaccine by September, I will plait sawdust.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

Just to weigh in on the vaccine by September issue. I’m diabetic so hoping an effective one can be developed as soon as possible for everyone’s sake. But even if there is one all of the initially available doses will go to frontline workers followed by those in the most vulnerable groups, so it would likely be well into next year regardless before the rest of the general public has access to them. And that’s only if the one(s) the government has pre-ordered actually prove viable, which again is still up in the air as labs continue their testing processes and research. 

And out of those that would have access to it initially I’d say a large number of them wouldn’t be the first ones queuing up to get into Ewood for a game as other concerns like work/not being able to get to the ground alone if they need assistance/loss of interest/etc. would all take priority.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Lee Bowyer was also complaining saying that 3 of his players including his best player Lyle Taylor arent willing to play.

Lyle Taylor wont play cos if he gets injury it will affect his next move. Hes 30 years old so it could be his last big move. Chris Solly is the same reason. Plus David Davis doesn't want to go back there. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

we don't know this so lets leave it to experts from Oxford University and other people who are working on the vaccine. Sarah Gilbert from Oxford University was confident of a vaccine by September when talking BBC in April. We have ordered 100 million doses of the vaccine as long as it works

She was on the radio last week saying that it was unlikely that a vaccine would be found until well into next year at the earliest.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

And that’s what will be happening and that’s fine.

Chaddy however is all for BCD as he doesn’t agree with trying social distancing in grounds as it’s logistically difficult and there’s no point anyway as he believes BCD is only a temporary measure as  there’s every chance of a vaccine for the entire country in 3 MONTHS. 

It’s cloud cuckoo land stuff and in reality if we are waiting for a vaccine to let fans back them it’s going to be years BCD and therefore the end of our fantastic league structure. To get this season done, BCD is here and we’ll just get on with it, but the game is in big trouble medium term from where I’m standing. Something he’s in total denial about, largely on the word of a professor at Oxford, by the looks of it.

I think attempting social distancing in a football ground is cloud cuckoo land Matty. 

I think more and more about this virus is coming around each day. The world won't wait for a vaccine before things open up again. This is just one of those things we as a people will have to learn to deal with. In any case, the vast majority of people will have probably been in contact with the virus already. I'm not holding my breath for a vaccine but I was always under the impression the 'experts' believed a reliable anti-body test was key to opening up the world again. I don't quite know where they are with that though but by all accounts it doesn't take as long to develop as said vaccine.

I suspect we will be back in football grounds and attending mass events before we know it. You will then have to make up your own mind if you want to risk it and attend. That could be just as catastrophic for us as it could be remaining behind closed doors. A lot of our fan base is quite old and probably won't bother attending - the JW Upper will be vacant.

I agree, I can’t imagine Ewood with social distancing tape and all the rest of it.

So, if we do go back in say 6/9 months time (there won’t be a vaccine for the general population, simple as that), it will be in front of a much diminished crowd (as if our gates haven’t been diminished enough already) , as I’ve spoke to many a long standing fan this past few months who won’t be setting foot in the ground if the virus is still prominent in the country.

One way or the other, the game is going to be in a very bad place in one/two years time.

Edited by Mattyblue

1 hour ago, schoey said:

Just to weigh in on the vaccine by September issue. I’m diabetic so hoping an effective one can be developed as soon as possible for everyone’s sake. But even if there is one all of the initially available doses will go to frontline workers followed by those in the most vulnerable groups, so it would likely be well into next year regardless before the rest of the general public has access to them. And that’s only if the one(s) the government has pre-ordered actually prove viable, which again is still up in the air as labs continue their testing processes and research. 

And out of those that would have access to it initially I’d say a large number of them wouldn’t be the first ones queuing up to get into Ewood for a game as other concerns like work/not being able to get to the ground alone if they need assistance/loss of interest/etc. would all take priority.

I think if we reach a stage where the people exposed to it through their work in the health service or other jobs are immunised, along with those in the 'high risk' categories e.g. with underlying conditions or of a certain age, then in reality the vast majority of the problem would be dealt with. The vast majority of people can cope with the virus and overcome it. 

If a vaccine was introduced but given first to the above groups then I see no reason why the country couldn't get back to normality before receiving vaccines if they even wanted them.  

I was reading the other day that for the average primary school age child the likelihood of dying from Covid 19 is less than getting struck by lightning. NThat isn't to say it isn't an issue or problem but some perspective is needed. Once a way of shielding the vulnerable is found the majority should be able to have some sort of normality with or without a vaccine.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

It may well all but burn itself out in the next few months nobody really knows not even the experts, internet or otherwise.

Prepare for worst case scenario though but we might see some real daylight in the next 2/3 months although the frail and elderly or those with other issues will always have to be extra careful or stay out of harms way a good while longer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I agree, I can’t imagine Ewood with social distancing tape and all the rest of it.

So, if we do go back in say 6/9 months time (there won’t be a vaccine for the general population, simple as that), it will be in front of a much diminished crowd (as if our gates haven’t been diminished enough already) , as I’ve spoke to many a long standing fan this past few months who won’t be setting foot in the ground if the virus is still prominent in the country.

One way or the other, the game is going to be in a very bad place in one/two years time.

The diminished crowds could well be another rationale used to justify increased TV coverage which becomes even more self fulfilling.

Not sure this genie will go back in the bottle. TV companies might even be offering short term concessions for long term increased involvement.