BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

I'm in agreement with Rev again. Playing in empty grounds is the best option available. Now, if some money is allotted to lower league clubs it will help all.

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers recorded no positive tests after latest round of testing according to Rich Sharpe 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18494237.efl-reveals-number-positive-results-latest-covid-19-tests/

I read today that Klopp told Liverpool players to wear masks and gloves when they went out.

I would like to assume that it would be almost universal foot footballers to take as many precautions as possible as to not jeopardise their health.

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

How does football NOT returning behind closed doors because you don't like the idea of it, help said unfashionable lower league Clubs though?

It doesn't.

I can't deny that the 72 Football League Clubs face the most immense financial challenges going forward but stopping those that can from playing football behind BCD from doing so doesn't help that, indeed it makes it worse.

But it’s not even about survival of the fittest, it’s about throwing more money at the most bloated debt ridden, unsustainable clubs and bollocks to everyone else.

If the EFL becomes 24 teams then it will die anyway - and I hope it does such is the distain that it has shown two-thirds of its members. It’s not even guaranteed yet that it won’t just be the PL that goes ahead.

Why aren’t strides being taken to find a way to protect all clubs. The current approach to go BCD rather than wait until 2021 increases the likelihood of low league teams going bust.

The issue here is TV money. If all clubs stuck together, Sky and BT would have to back down. Football holds more cards that it is letting people believe. But it’s all about the few making big money at the expense of the many. Everything wrong with the ugly world exposed by this pandemic has been epitomised by the PL gravy train.

EFL members (L1,L2 and half of the Championship) should walk away and form their own regional sections as three leagues. Start again.

4 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I'm in agreement with Rev again. Playing in empty grounds is the best option available. Now, if some money is allotted to lower league clubs it will help all.

I read today that Klopp told Liverpool players to wear masks and gloves when they went out.

I would like to assume that it would be almost universal foot footballers to take as many precautions as possible as to not jeopardise their health.

Have players in Germany been wearing masks during games?

16 minutes ago, Stuart said:

But it’s not even about survival of the fittest, it’s about throwing more money at the most bloated debt ridden, unsustainable clubs and bollocks to everyone else.

If the EFL becomes 24 teams then it will die anyway - and I hope it does such is the distain that it has shown two-thirds of its members. It’s not even guaranteed yet that it won’t just be the PL that goes ahead.

Why aren’t strides being taken to find a way to protect all clubs. The current approach to go BCD rather than wait until 2021 increases the likelihood of low league teams going bust.

The issue here is TV money. If all clubs stuck together, Sky and BT would have to back down. Football holds more cards that it is letting people believe. But it’s all about the few making big money at the expense of the many. Everything wrong with the ugly world exposed by this pandemic has been epitomised by the PL gravy train.

EFL members (L1,L2 and half of the Championship) should walk away and form their own regional sections as three leagues. Start again.

Strides are being made to protect all clubs by the PL given more money to lower league clubs so they can survive and why not loaning them players for a season. for example Rovers loaning Bolton 2 or 3 good youth prospect to their gain first team experience and Bolton get good players for lower cost

But Stuart, The TV money helps clubs buy and pay Players wages at the PL level. Many clubs at Championship level are that dreaming cos that money would help and protect the club financially. The only people making money are the players through wages and signings fees. 

20 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Behind closed doors football is nothing to look forward to, I dont get how anyone can claim otherwise. I just see it as going through the motions until football returns properly. I am sure I will tune in but is anyone excited about June 20th? Really?

Well Yes I will be happy football will be back. 

Is TV football ideal? no because I rather be inside a football stadium but currently not allow. 

I don't see how we can have fans back into Stadium with the problems with access to Catering and Toilets facilities plus social distancing. 

12 hours ago, Stuart said:

”But TV football is better than no football!” Chaddy cries. Maybe, but not if you are a fan of an unfashionable lower league team. Not until your club is wiped out and your grandchildren support their favourite “TV club” instead.

Let’s hope I’m wrong and we are all back at Ewood some time next season...

Stuart, This is difficult situation and we have to find a sensible way through this. Clubs of lower league teams will still be able to watch online. Is it ideal? no but none of this is. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Fair enough. Out of interest, how much of your excitement, anticipation, desperation, tension etc do you think would fade/wane if the following was to happen, a season to cherish amidst the majority of uneventful/desperate seasons, and you was unable to go, to participate, to be a part of it, to see the whole fanbase cherish it, all in front of absolutely no one:

a) The game in which a play off place was clinched

b) The journey via the semi final

c) The final, victory at Wembley, a ground we have not been to for 28 years

d) The reward of Premier League football, quite possibly for a solitary season, going to Old Trafford, the Emirates, the new Tottenham Stadium, Anfield and course Turf Moor (all potentially behind closed doors)

Of course you have said that you are excited to see football back very soon, that is fair enough and dont get me wrong, I will be watching plenty. I personally cannot see past the elephant in the room, I feel like I will miss out either way, either Rovers will fall short, very likely, or Rovers will pull it off and I and every other fan will miss out. Maybe thats slightly selfish in a way on my behalf, but to me, there wouldnt be much difference in watching BCD v Man City, Man United and especially Burnley or Barnsley, Millwall and Luton.

My excitement would be there during the games and the build up to games. But of course they would some of you wanting to be there and attending games. But we know we cant and fans safety is a must

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

I don't understand where you're coming from on this at all Stuart.

Completing the season behind closed doors and hypothetically playing the next and the next BCD as well if it was necessary isn't about "throwing more money" at the Premier League, those sums would all have been agreed some time ago in the last round of TV rights.

It's about those Clubs delivering what they have contractually agreed to do and not having to pay money which will already have been spent or committed back It's not as though we are starting from scratch from now and the TV Companies are chucking money about willy nilly at Premier League Clubs. Quite the reverse,  I suspect the likes of Sky and BT are mortified by the current situation and that if there was any way they could wriggle out of the current deals they would do, because until things return to normal they are tied into paying the Clubs top dollar for an inferior product.

You do also realise the Premier League and the EFL are two completely separate entities? If the EFL aren't satisfied with the deal that they negotiated with TV Companies and/or the PL then that is partly the fault of the Clubs themselves and their representatives and should have been sorted over the years with each successive round of TV deals.

Who exactly are they going to walk away from, themselves? Who would give them a better deal? Would you subscribe to a Channel showing a lot of live League 1 and League 2 games?

I wouldn't although I probably would if I supported one of the Clubs concerned. Overall though I suspect the demand from the neutral isn't there and that the potential numbers do not make it something broadcasters would be prepared to pay over the odds for unlike PL football.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Clubs of lower league teams will still be able to watch online. 

Oh no worries then, just fire up the laptop.

These lower league clubs are in all likelihood going to have to pay an entire squad and non playing staff for all of next season, plus all the other business overheads with a few ifollow subscriptions and a tiny slice of TV money as their only income.

How many L1/L2 clubs will survive that? 

Edited by Mattyblue

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Oh no worries then, just fire up the laptop.

These lower league clubs are in all likelihood going to have to pay an entire squad and non playing staff for all of next season, plus all the other business overheads with a few ifollow subscriptions and a tiny slice of TV money as their only income.

How many L1/L2 clubs will survive that? 

Well that's why PFA and FA could help out the cost of testing like Peterborough Owner said yesterday. 

League 1 and 2 clubs could have ifollow season tickets similar to the ones that are going to happen in Scottish football.  

Clubs will have alot of players out of contract shortly and majority of clubs have furlough their playing staff so have no players cost currently like Accy Stanley. 

But let's finish this season 1st before we think of next season. 

The lower leagues aren’t re-starting this season, so I assumed your ‘Lower league fans can still watch online’ was about next season.

The PFA/FA going to pay the ongoing outgoings of the clubs too? 

Ifollow sales won’t come close to ticket and hospitality income for these clubs, very flippant remarks that shows you have little clue about the finances in the lower leagues.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

The lower leagues aren’t re-starting this season, so I assumed your ‘Lower league fans can still watch online’ was about next season.

The PFA/FA going to pay the ongoing outgoings of the clubs too? 

Ifollow sales won’t come close to ticket and hospitality income for these clubs, very flippant remarks that shows you have little clue about the finances in the lower leagues.

Well League 2 are going to have the playoffs.

League 1 is yet to decided. So who knows. 

The government have asked the PL and its clubs to send more money down to lower league clubs. 

No ifollow sales probably wont come close to ticket and hospitality income but can still get some money in from people who buy the Ifollow season ticket. Is it ideal? No but it's a way of following your club during the times of a pandemic. It is a best case scenario until we are allow into football stadium. 

Any ideas Matty? Or just complain about people with ideas to get football restart and people watching their team from home? 

I do love this idealistic, fanciful notion that the reduced TV money received from the Premier League is going to trickle down to the lower leagues and save the day and support all 91 league clubs.

On what basis are the Premier League clubs going to be obliged to help out not just one solitary club but a couple of leagues full of them? They arent going to. Plus to be fair, their own income, whether it be reduced TV deals and of course a lack of ticket income, plus the sky high cost of all this testing factored in, they might not be able to afford to as easily.

The cost of potentially a whole season of testing would be sky high, even the top clubs might struggle with that. Plus the clubs especially in League 2 will have a high player turnover with many players on one year deals. So they will need to actively sign players as per normal to play the season.

Next season could be the killer really. This season the one saving grace has been that its only a quarter of a season which they are rushing through as quickly as possible.

I suspect that if BCD is here for a while then the TV deals may also suffer as the demand wont be the same. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well League 2 are going to have the playoffs.

League 1 is yet to decided. So who knows. 

The government have asked the PL and its clubs to send more money down to lower league clubs. 

No ifollow sales probably wont come close to ticket and hospitality income but can still get some money in from people who buy the Ifollow season ticket. Is it ideal? No but it's a way of following your club during the times of a pandemic. It is a best case scenario until we are allow into football stadium. 

Any ideas Matty? Or just complain about people with ideas to get football restart and people watching their team from home? 

You don’t have any ideas, you just parrot the plans of the authorities (and your League 2 playoffs can be filed with your September vaccine).

We will play BCD until the powers that be deem it ‘safe’. That’s the reality, and if it goes on for a year plus, it will mean many clubs go to the wall. No income= no team = no ifolllow = no club. There is no way round that without a government bailout or a large solidarity payment from the PL. 

You don’t seem to have got your head around the absolute dire straits of the lower leagues in your desperation to see football matches on your tele. 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

You don’t have any ideas, you just parrot the plans of the authorities.

We will play BCD until the powers that be deem it ‘safe’. That’s the reality, and if it goes on for a year plus, it will mean many clubs go to the wall. No income, no club. There is no way round that without a government bailout or a large solidarity payment from the PL. 

You don’t seem to have got your head around that in your desperation to see football matches on your tele.

So no ideas then Matty. Just complaining about people who do. 

No Matty I have said that some clubs will go bust if the PL sent money the tree like Government have said then it will stop clubs going bust. 

Let's a go at people who accept football has to be tv sport for a while until we can attend games in stadiums. It is what I want? No it's not but that is the situation we are in. So got to make the best of the situation. Or we can just moan after moan on here. 

But you don’t have any ideas? You just post links and parrot sound bytes from EFL press releases etc.

My view is we will be playing BCD as we have no choice, but it will undoubtedly lead to many clubs going under, so I’m not exactly dancing a jig over it like you just because there’s football in empty grounds to watch.

If being gravely concerned about the future of the game in this country is ‘moan after moan’ then fair enough, rather that than post a load of ignorant and callous nonsense like you.

• Like 2

I’ve told you my view, we play BCD, but that will finish many clubs, I’m gutted about that. Just collateral damage to you by the sounds of it.

Since when? All they’ve done from what I read is advance payments already due. No more money. Feel free to post the link if there’s extra cash being sent.  ACTUAL more money from the PL would be another idea of mine. So the PL would help the EFL in their hour of need the very clubs that have developed most of their English talent one way or the offer.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead

The reason for bringing football back for ‘sporting integrity’ (money) seems to be the only thing I can think of. Football behind closed doors without fans is just inferior whatever way you look at it, but some football is better than none I suppose! 
The thing is, the clubs that need the money the most (leagues 1 & 2 especially) don’t get anywhere near the same TV money, so without PL subsidy, they will continue to struggle without fans in the ground. 
I can already hear the cries ‘why should the PL subsidise the lower league’. Well, with some poor decisions, that could easily be them in league one as well! 
A tough situation, but the incredibly cash rich PL could, and easily should in my view help to provide for the other clubs out of solidarity, if nothing else. Unless of course, it’s only the #footballfamily when it suits....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

that's why the PL have to sent more money down to League 1 or 2 clubs for next season if it happens

Not going to happen...the PL are attempting to play bcd as they will owe TV money and will play whilst losing money so they're hardly going to send money keep efl clubs afloat 

Theres no way that League 1 and 2 clubs already in a constant financial battle to survive can host either part or very realistically a full season of football, paying a squad a wage every month, having to sign extra players, without any ticket money and with the additional headache of testing costs which are huge.

The idea of money trickling down is a nice one but a flawed and fanciful one to be honest. Should there be a duty of care to save the smaller clubs? Absolutely. Will there be? Almost certainly not in both deplorable and understandable ways. They couldnt save one club between them in Bury before all of this. How would it all work? Plus with themselves having cuts in TV money, no ticket income, cost of testing etc, many teams might say they cant. Take Burnley, they made a profit of only 4m, they will presumably make a big loss and their usual way out would be to sell a player. But there wont be a market for that 

The loan idea is hardly revolutionary either. Clubs at that level are already often reliant on loan players anyway, Bolton have had 9 players on loan already this season. Considering that you can only include 5 in a matchday squad, they would still need to sign up some new players and pay them a wage.

Ultimately you can naively and ignorantly dismiss the ongoing doubt as moaning @chaddyrovers but ultimately you yourself havent offered any proper solutions either. The reason being that whilst BCD is the only option time may run out on clubs and there is no way of stopping that really. We just have to hope fans can attend as soon as possible. You are so desperate to see some football that you arent looking at the bigger picture.

• Like 5